RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How many wins will it take to make the playoffs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many wins will the #8 seed have?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
17 or more
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

pilight

PostPosted: 08/06/17 10:12 am    ::: How many wins will it take to make the playoffs? Reply Reply with quote

Lots of struggling teams around the bottom of the playoffs.

PostPosted: 08/06/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd guess 14-20. That's basically one of Seattle/Atlanta/Chicago managing to go about .500 in their remaining games. Hard to see them doing too much better than that, but all the crappy teams play each other enough that they're forced to pick up a few wins between them along the way.

PostPosted: 08/06/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

15-19 would definitely lock someone into the playoffs. 14-20 isn't hard to grasp either. And that #8 seed would possibly upset that #5 easily(Wash/Phoenix/New York) just like last year(Phoenix over Indiana, then over New York).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/06/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And all this raises the obvious question, with being forced to have two rounds of one and dones, do we really need 8 teams making the playoffs? Wouldn't a six team field with at least best of threes make more sense?

PostPosted: 08/06/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
And all this raises the obvious question, with being forced to have two rounds of one and dones, do we really need 8 teams making the playoffs? Wouldn't a six team field with at least best of threes make more sense?

I've always thought that it was a bit ridiculous that 2/3 of the League make the playoffs, but I think owners are worried that too many games in the second-half of the season would be essentially meaningless if they cut it to six, so interest and attendance might take a hit.

But yeah, for the quality of the playoffs, and for what teams actually 'deserve', fewer teams should make the postseason.

PostPosted: 08/06/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think most owners want their team to be in a playoff race and make the playoffs for marketing purposes. However aside from the top few teams, I don't think they really care much about the playoffs themselves. For the lower 4 most times they probably lose money because fans just don't show up. So the system now is sort of perfect for them.

I'd limit the playoffs to the top 2 or 4 teams and have longer series so long as fans are showing for those games.

I'd much rather have the team with the best record declared the WNBA Champ but then have a post season tournament like the college conferences have. I think it could be a showcase for the league and fit within the modern age when attention spans only last for a few days. NY, MN, PHO, LA could probably fill up the arena's for the tournaments.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus with expansion probably coming in the next few years, it would be silly to reduce it to 6 teams, then back up to 8 whenever the league goes up to 14(or 16) teams.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/06/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem is not with the structure of the playoffs or the number of teams: the problem is that there is such an imbalance of talent. When Sylvia Fowles was allowed to choose Minnesota as her team at almost no cost, it left few teams with even the slimmest of possibilities of a championship. Right now only LA and maybe a healthy Phoenix have any shot, Next season a healthy Connecticut adding Chiney could be interesting, but it would probably take sister Nneka demanding to play with her.

As for the question at hand 15 gets in, 14 may get in, but only on a tie break.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/06/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Plus with expansion probably coming in the next few years, it would be silly to reduce it to 6 teams, then back up to 8 whenever the league goes up to 14(or 16) teams.

Anything tangible to support the expansion claim?

Not disagreeing, just wondering ...

PostPosted: 08/06/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Anything tangible to support the expansion claim?

Not disagreeing, just wondering ...

Well Borders has stated expansion will happen as soon as she feels all 12 current teams are stable. This makes me believe there are a few ownership groups in talks right now. Most notably the Warriors and Lacob, the Sacrament Kings groups and MLS' Portland Timbers have expressed interest.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/06/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Lacob is just a vulture circling around a few of the existing teams. Not sure he really wants to build a team from scratch.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/06/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

14 with two teams in a tie breaker situation deciding #8 and #9

15 without a tie breaker, or the tie breaker determining #7 and #8

I would like to see expansion and keep the playoffs at 8.

If there is no for seeable expansion I might prefer six teams with 1 and 2 getting bys and 3/6 4/5 as best 2 out of 3. I am not a fan of the 1 game eliminations. I would probably also shorten the semis to 2 out of 3 with the finals as 3 out of 5.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/06/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
14 with two teams in a tie breaker situation deciding #8 and #9

15 without a tie breaker, or the tie breaker determining #7 and #8

I would like to see expansion and keep the playoffs at 8.

If there is no for seeable expansion I might prefer six teams with 1 and 2 getting bys and 3/6 4/5 as best 2 out of 3. I am not a fan of the 1 game eliminations. I would probably also shorten the semis to 2 out of 3 with the finals as 3 out of 5.

The one game eliminations are what generated buzz with last yrs playoffs (NY) the drama the controversy of having to play the merc made it interesting. Both teams having to play for there season with 1 game on the line brings attention.

PostPosted: 08/06/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the 1 game. Gets rid of poor teams quickly, and creates upsets. More drama. Less certainty. Which is why I'd rather have a tournament. The NCAA Tournament is the probably the biggest thing in the country aside from the Super Bowl (which is also a one game deal.)

And who knows, if the Dream make the playoffs maybe we can sign Angel to a 7 day contract for our one and done game.

Razz

Shades

PostPosted: 08/06/17 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well it's predictable that the fans that hate the one game playoff are the ones that have lost with it. You don't hear PHX fans complaining about it. Razz

And if they lose the 3 game series, they'll be calling for a 5 game series, and so on....

How about just winning the game you're supposed to? That's what champions do if they want it bad enough.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/07/17 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Well it's predictable that the fans that hate the one game playoff are the ones that have lost with it. You don't hear PHX fans complaining about it. Razz

And if they lose the 3 game series, they'll be calling for a 5 game series, and so on....

How about just winning the game you're supposed to? That's what champions do if they want it bad enough.

I'm too lazy to dig up the proof, but I am pretty sure I complained about it before the 3rd seed Liberty lost in a 1 game elimination to the 8th seed PX.

But if 1 game eliminations are so exciting why have bys, if the top 2 seeds are the better teams they should be able to beat 7 and 8 in 1 home game.

I mean its not like Dallas or Seattle could beat LA in 1 game, or Indy or Chicago could beat Minny in 1 game.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/07/17 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, the whole point of essentially dropping conferences was to get the best teams into the major games at the end of the season. Introducing the randomness of one-game playoffs opens up extra possiblity that the best teams aren't making the best-of-five semi-finals, making them less likely to be competitive or entertaining (as happened last season).

As I said last season, if they're determined to have one-game playoffs that could eliminate teams, I'd prefer a version of the Aussie Rules AFL system that gives a second-chance to the teams finishing higher up. Home-court advantage in one game isn't enough of an edge for a team that may have finished massively better in the regular season.

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My current guess for wins:

Dallas 16
Sky 14
Dream 13
Storm 11

Sky have tiebreaker with the Dream so they could do it with only 13 wins.

The really tricky part is the last week of the season games when teams that ordinarily would win (e.g. Sparks) may be in rest for playoffs mode and not put out much effort enabling some team to sneak into the playoffs.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm too lazy to dig up the proof, but I am pretty sure I complained about it before the 3rd seed Liberty lost in a 1 game elimination to the 8th seed PX.

But if 1 game eliminations are so exciting why have bys, if the top 2 seeds are the better teams they should be able to beat 7 and 8 in 1 home game.

I mean its not like Dallas or Seattle could beat LA in 1 game, or Indy or Chicago could beat Minny in 1 game.

They cant?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 08/07/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

The really tricky part is the last week of the season games when teams that ordinarily would win (e.g. Sparks) may be in rest for playoffs mode and not put out much effort enabling some team to sneak into the playoffs.

Under the old playoff system, this was more of a concern. Now the Top 2 seeds get something like a week off before they see their first action. If a player needs rest for a nagging injury, I could see that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/07/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Under the old playoff system, this was more of a concern. Now the Top 2 seeds get something like a week off before they see their first action. If a player needs rest for a nagging injury, I could see that.

Probably so - but I'm looking for a reason to hope. Dream play the Sparks and Mercury on the road in the last week of the season. Those are two games that could stamp the Sky lottery ticket.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 08/07/17 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
...and MLS' Portland Timbers have expressed interest.

Really? That would be AWESOME. The Timbers have done a great job with their NWSL affiliate, the Thorns. The Thorns are the richest team in the NWSL and the toast of the league. I just hope the Timbers would be able to keep their "little brother" insecurities out of the WNBA, which they haven't been able to do with the NWSL. Razz

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/07/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:

They cant?

That is my point even a great team like LA or Minn can lose to an 8 seed or lottery team in a 1 game series. That is why I don't like the one game elimination playoff series, even if they are exciting.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/08/17 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:

They cant?

That is my point even a great team like LA or Minn can lose to an 8 seed or lottery team in a 1 game series. That is why I don't like the one game elimination playoff series, even if they are exciting.

Aw oke but that is why the 1st and 2nd team are protected.
I dont like the 1 game series because a lot of teams work hard all season to get a solid spot in the playoffs and then it all depends on 1 game. Too much can happen in 1 game. Foul trouble (just look at Fowles in Minny's last game or often with Griner) star player has an off shootingnight etc.)

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/10/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas can secure their playoff position by winning 15 games. The other teams (Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta ) future will be determined by which team can win 14 games.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: