RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Solar Eclipse 2017 is Coming!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will your experience be?
I'm in the path of totality.
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
I'm not, but am planning on going somewhere that is.
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
I'm not in the path of totality and will be staying home.
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 27

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/05/17 6:16 pm    ::: Solar Eclipse 2017 is Coming!!!!! Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, this was supposed to be in Area 51. Guess I shouldn't post so soon after a nap. Smile

I think that where I am is something like 80-85%.

I took two days off work to go somewhere.

2024 will be much easier for me as it will be less than an hour to get somewhere it is totality. I'll need to go a little further to get some significant time in totality though. That's probably what I'll do. I have relatives that are in the path of totality in Indiana, Ohio and Texas. Might be time for a visit! (I've taken two days off for that one too. Boss thought I was nuts.)

Here's a map where you can find out what percent of totality you'll be in for 2017.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

Here's a map where you can find out what percent of totality you'll be in for 2024.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
BallState1984

PostPosted: 08/07/17 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Took a personal day and I will view it in Missouri at a winery. Staying Sunday in Illinois, where I originally was going to go to view it. I am still giving myself the option to go to Nebraska or North Carolina in case the weather does not cooperate.

PostPosted: 08/07/17 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Took a personal day and I will view it in Missouri at a winery. Staying Sunday in Illinois, where I originally was going to go to view it. I am still giving myself the option to go to Nebraska or North Carolina in case the weather does not cooperate.

The economic impact of this is going to be huge!!!!!

I'm spending Sunday night in Louisville. The plan is to go south on Monday. If the weather sucks I figured that I could go either east or west from Louisville without too much trouble.

It's crazy though. There isn't a single hotel room in Nashville. Gonna be tons of unhappy people if it's rainy/cloudy and their all stuck in traffic trying to get out of town!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/07/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I *could* drive the 6 hours to Tennessee and view it at my daughter's house along with the 6 kids (5 teenagers) but I think I'll stay put and watch the partial version here in Virginia. I have seen two total eclipses, one as a child in Wisconsin, the other on the day of my daughter's kindergarten graduation in Tennessee. They are eerie and amazing.

PostPosted: 08/08/17 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I made my room reservation in January, it was the last one in a 300 miles area. I originally was planning to go to Carbondale Illinois, but it had all the earmarks of a giant cluster and I did not want to do that. So I will stay in a room off I 57 near St. Louis, then drive into Missouri first thing in the morning.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/08/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not doing anything special for this year, but, knock on wood, I'll be at ground zero, in NH, for 2024's.

PostPosted: 08/08/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
When I made my room reservation in January, it was the last one in a 300 miles area. I originally was planning to go to Carbondale Illinois, but it had all the earmarks of a giant cluster and I did not want to do that. So I will stay in a room off I 57 near St. Louis, then drive into Missouri first thing in the morning.

That's what I'm thinking I'll do from Louisville.

I may not have my solar eclipse glasses though. The company sent me an email that they shipped them, but I haven't received them. Tracking label has been created, but they are still showing that they are at the seller. Contacted them and they told me that I needed to contact the shipper. Shipper says that they never received them. Have another email in to the seller, can't get through on the phone, says the mailbox is full. Probably bunches of other people that didn't get their glasses!!!! Sad

Fortunately ordered another pair the other day, but they are coming from eBay and I kind of leery about the quality of them.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 08/08/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got my glasses at Lowe's ($1.98 ) and a lot of places like that have them here where I am. The ones I got are made by American Paper Optics and are on the approved list of manufacturers.

Of course I'm not in 100% zone, in fact with low clouds (very common where I am in the morning) it may not happen (or rather, not be able to be seen), even if the smoke from the B.C. fires are not being blown our way.

But I do have my glasses, pretty easy to find still up here.

Good luck!

Last edited by threadkiller1201 on 08/09/17 12:21 am; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/08/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're Amazon Prime, you can get free 2 day delivery of a five pack of Lunt glasses from Amazon for $14.99.

That would seem a lot more reliable than gambling on eBay.

B&H Photo also says they have the Lunt glasses in stock for shipment today. I have used that company in the past without incident.

The Lunt glasses and B&H are on NASA's lists.
------------------------
EDIT
NEVER MIND from Amazon. They are NOT in stock and don't look like they will be in time.

B&H is a possibility though.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, since this thread got me thinking about it, I just went ahead and ordered a 5 pack of Lunt glasses from B&H for $12.95. I was planning on ordering something else already anyhow, so that got me just over $50, which meant free expedited shipping. No sales tax.

Supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post something when they actually arrive.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of stores here have the glasses at the checkout lane for less than $5 - typically $2.

We're outside the full zone, but should get a good partial if the morning fog lifts by then. I think one of the powerful things about the solar eclipse is how fast it moves. Swoosh, here comes the dark. Swoosh here comes the light. My sister is going in a motorhome full of people to see it. She says that way even if they get stuck in traffic, they have their own food and bathroom so no worries. I have no worries either - I'm staying home. Cool

There are some lovely pix of the moon eclipse yesterday in Asia up on the net.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/08/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect I'll probably stay home (81% here), but I'm still considering driving to my sister's place in Raleigh (93%) or all the way to Greenville, SC (100%).

20 hour round trip seems like a lot for a 2 minute total eclipse. Haven't gotten myself excited enough about it to make that seem worth the effort.

Plus they're expecting a million visitors in South Carolina. That trip could easily turn into a nightmare.

And with my luck it will probably be cloudy and rain all afternoon anyhow.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/08/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not going anywhere. Will see about 70% where I am.

This reminds me of one of my most memorable outdoor experiences. In the early '60's, I hiked all alone up the western slope of Mt. Katahdin in northern Maine, over the peak, and down the eastern slope on day when an almost total eclipse of the sun hit in the afternoon as I was descending.

I had no gear other than a canteen of water and a sandwich, and I sat down for 20-30 minutes of greatest darkness. I recall running down much of the trail after the eclipse peaked so I could meet my father's car near the appointed time at the eastern base. I was a very good track athlete in those days, indestructible and fearless.

O tempora! O mores!
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 08/08/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That must have been sweet.

This is the official NOAA 8 to 14 day forecast (which updates daily):
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/

Here's a first nationwide forecast for Aug 21, and it says Confidence Very Low twice.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/07/an-early-total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-7-2017/?utm_term=.2c9e0bfaa80c

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/08/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
I got my glasses at Lowe's ($1.98 ) and a lot of places like that have them here where I am. The ones I got are made by American Paper Optics and are on the approved list of manufacturers.

Of course I'm not in 100% zone, in fact with low clouds (very common where I am in the morning) it may not happen (or rather, not be able to be seen), even if the smoke fires from B.C. are not being blown our way.

But I do have my glasses, pretty easy to find still up here.

Good luck!

APO is where I ordered mine from. Sad I hope that they aren't planning on selling any in this area in 2024 because I'm going to tell everyone that I know not to order from them.

Their customer service is pretty much non-existent from what I've experienced.

When I first contacted them, I got a fairly crappy email back that I needed to do the checking even though the tracking was showing that FedEx didn't even have the package.

I emailed them and told them that and I haven't heard from them. It's been 27.5 hours now.

I tried calling them 4 times this morning and after several rings, I got the message about the mailbox being full. I tried calling them this afternoon and again a few minutes ago. Now it didn't even ring. It just goes right to the the message that the mailbox was full.

I sent a couple more emails this evening telling them that it doesn't look like it has left their facility.

I can understand that they are swamped. Just communicate with me and let me know why the item that I ordered placed 10 days ago and was shipped 7 days ago isn't here!!!!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/08/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Actually, since this thread got me thinking about it, I just went ahead and ordered a 5 pack of Lunt glasses from B&H for $12.95. I was planning on ordering something else already anyhow, so that got me just over $50, which meant free expedited shipping. No sales tax.

Supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post something when they actually arrive.

I ordered a 5 pack from B&H. Too bad they only last about 3 years and then need to be replaced.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I expect I'll probably stay home (81% here), but I'm still considering driving to my sister's place in Raleigh (93%) or all the way to Greenville, SC (100%).

20 hour round trip seems like a lot for a 2 minute total eclipse. Haven't gotten myself excited enough about it to make that seem worth the effort.

Plus they're expecting a million visitors in South Carolina. That trip could easily turn into a nightmare.

And with my luck it will probably be cloudy and rain all afternoon anyhow.

That was my thought too along with the weather.

Then I got to thinking and decided that I can just make it a little vacation and go to some state parks or something. Plus, by not going all the way to the center of totality, I have some flexibility depending on weather.

Of course, that late realization is what is causing some of my troubles now.

Also, what I learn about this one will help me with 2024. (Namely not to order from APO! Smile )

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/08/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
If you're Amazon Prime, you can get free 2 day delivery of a five pack of Lunt glasses from Amazon for $14.99.

That would seem a lot more reliable than gambling on eBay.

B&H Photo also says they have the Lunt glasses in stock for shipment today. I have used that company in the past without incident.

The Lunt glasses and B&H are on NASA's lists.
------------------------
EDIT
NEVER MIND from Amazon. They are NOT in stock and don't look like they will be in time.

B&H is a possibility though.

Hey, they have a letter of authenticity with them! Laughing

BallState1984

PostPosted: 08/09/17 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I ordered viewing glasses just for fun, but part of the package deal with the winery viewing party is a pair of glasses along with lunch and a serving of wine in a commemorative glass!

Just hope Mark did not oversell his venue!

PostPosted: 08/09/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Well, as promised, the five pack arrived in perfect condition this afternoon via UPS, just a day after they were ordered.

ArtBest23

Duplicate

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 08/09/17 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

Duplicate

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/09/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was the response I received today to my email from last night.

Quote:
we are going to reship just in case as it says it was delivered in our records

I'm not sure if I should be happy or offended. Confused

I'm not sure how their records can show it was delivered when FedEx is not even showing it as being picked up yet.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/09/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Well, as promised, the five pack arrived in perfect condition this afternoon via UPS, just a day after they were ordered.

Great! I don't think mine have shipped yet, but I just did regular shipping.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/10/17 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Krispy Kreme is getting in on the fun.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/eclipse/krispy-kreme-creates-special-eclipse-doughnut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: