RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 USA U19 Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yupiter

PostPosted: 07/30/17 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raisa Musina was the best in the final game. The NT head coach gave her little to play at the European Championship, so again the Russian team did not qualify for the World Cup.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/30/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do people think about the decision to throw the wings against Musina instead of using Alarie to guard her? On a number of possessions it did seem to work and throw her off her game, clogging up the paint a bit as she tried to post up the smaller defenders. On the other hand, she was able to just bowl over her defenders a few times and shoot over them other times.

Hebard had such a big advantage inside against Japan, but it was a completely different story against all of the size that Russia had.
Phil

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree the game was quite entertaining, but I'm not drinking the announcers Kool-Aid that this was one of the best games ever played.

"Entertaining" and "great" have overlapping Venn diagrams but they are not quite the same. Maybe I'm overreacting to blown layups but it's hard to label any game is great in which there are multiple blown layups.

Musina was great. I agree with the observation that she you had the best game of anyone on the floor but the MVP was tourney MVP not game MVP.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 07/31/17 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Another solid outing for Tyasha Harris, who scored 8 pts on 4 for 8 shooting, plus 9 assists and 3 steals. She was easily the team's best PG in this tournament: led the team in asst. per gm and steals per gm, and was the better perimeter shooter. I'm surprised she wasn't on the floor at the end of the game then....

Harris was excellent all tourney.

After a great first quarter, Dangerfield's volume shooting for the final game (6-20) regressed exactly to her tournament mean, 30%.

For the tournament, Harris was superior to Dangerfield in:

-- APG: 5.7 to 3.7
-- ATO: 5.7 to 2.4
-- steals: 14-10
-- EffPG: 13.3 to 6.6
-- 2FG%: 45.5% to 30.4%
-- 3FG%: 37.5% to 26.9%
-- FT%: 81.8% to 61.5%

Dangerfield averaged 9.0 PPG vs. Harris's 8.0 PPG (on 82 shots vs. 46) and had two more rebounds for the tournament.

USA Stats: http://www.fiba.com/world/u19women/2017/USA#tab=overview,average_statistics

I was actually surprised at how much Dangerfield was shooting the ball... she seemed to be aggressively hunting her shot which is so different than her style of play at UConn... maybe she was trying to get it all out before the season begins. Lol

Harris, on the other hand, was very in character.. she's a passer and playmaker.. but she will burn if you think she can't shoot.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dangerfield , Who gave you the greenlight to shoot til the wheels came off ?

PostPosted: 08/01/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harris had a very good tournament. We saw some of the issues with Dangerfield that she had last year with over dribbling, she forced shots in high school also. It will be interesting to see how she responds to Shea and Geno this year as that isn't Uconn basketball.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 08/02/17 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From now on, I'm calling her Crystal Field of Danger....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: