RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nice piece re Thibault & what's important

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 07/31/17 2:02 pm    ::: Nice piece re Thibault & what's important Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/07/30/utilizing-their-perch-in-washington-wnbas-mystics-unafraid-to-wade-into-politics/?utm_term=.e93dd7e38b16

pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's very little chance Trump will invite the WNBA champs, IMO.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
‘We would not go to the White House’: Mystics players get in touch with their politics

They won't have to worry about that this year, and maybe not next year unless they can make the right trade and/or draft pick.

Was SWK the right pick this year? I dunno.... even with Hill going down, Thibault hasn't wanted to start his rookie, unlike a few other teams.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/31/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There's very little chance Trump will invite the WNBA champs, IMO.

I dunno..12 athletic young women...he'd probably look at the team picture before making a decision. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can just see the next tweet "The failing Washington Mystics - can't even fix their own roof, let alone win an invitation to the WH. So sad. Read on RebKell Delle Donne gets zero assists. "

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It doesn't matter, he'll never be invited anyway, because Thibault is a perennial

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This comment by Delle Donne doesn't even make sense
Quote:
“And it’s scary because I feel like it’s just the beginning of making people who are different feel different. And that’s very frightening.”

PostPosted: 07/31/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I wouldn’t go,” Delle Donne said. “I’m pretty sure the whole team just isn’t in support of a lot of the values that the president right now seems to be standing for. So yeah, I don’t think many of us would make that trip.”

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/31/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight has a point, I don't think the warriors have even gotten an invite since criticizing him. Pretty sure the only ones going would be MLB, NFL, and MAYBE the Men's NCAA champs

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
pilight has a point, I don't think the warriors have even gotten an invite since criticizing him. Pretty sure the only ones going would be MLB, NFL, and MAYBE the Men's NCAA champs

I doubt he will invite the WNBA champs even if it is a team that has said nothing about him.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I can just see the next tweet "The failing Washington Mystics - can't even fix their own roof, let alone win an invitation to the WH. So sad. Read on RebKell Delle Donne gets zero assists. "

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Ha! Trump doesn't think deeply enough to value assists. He's definitely a points guy all the way. Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

I doubt he will invite the WNBA champs even if it is a team that has said nothing about him.

Depends on if he's seen any of their players in the Body Issue, I imagine.

I do feel it's a bit... optimistic? hubristic?... for the Mystics to make a statement like this at this point.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time and a place for everything. If I go to foxnews or MSNBC that is where I want to hear political discussions. I don't particularly care for political activism from sports and entertainment figures. Quite often they make fools of themselves and hurt their own brand.
The WNBA generally speaking does itself no favors when it wades into the political scene. The Lynx incident last year did the team no favors (even if I personally believe there are some legitimate concerns from people regarding law enforcement). From a secret source (who seemed reliable) I learned Glenn Taylor warned the players to drop the politics immediately.
While I don't see anything wrong with voicing one's political opinions I am disgusted by a lot of the commentary going on in the political scene today. I am very fortunate in that I have traveled extensively during my life to many other places and I just don't see why anyone is complaining, especially considering some of the absolutely horrific things I have personally seen done to people who are different (yes I directed this directly to what EDD said).
I have been to North Korea more than once and everyone there does and says the exact same thing and has the same haircut and the same clunky heels for women and blue canvas sneakers for the guys. The people are all friendly and extremely curious (especially the kids) but when you say hello they always look at the government person you are with to make sure it is okay to say hello and then they are very friendly. But you can still see the fear in their eyes.
China is making progress but you still don't want to be a woman there! Your future generally speaking is not bright. Women still have very few rights there and it seems to be going backwards rather than forward. Also while the large cities are becoming more and more modern I have also been to the countryside there and the poverty is all encompassing and intense. I have a good friend that runs a chinese place and she told me that she gets her help from an agency that basically works as a labor trafficking hub for Chinese eateries. The employees are all housed together and paid very low wages (under minimum). But no one complains because it is still a far better life than they can hope for back in the PRC.
Hang out sometime with me in Niamey (Republique Du Niger) or Nouakchott (Mauritania) WHERE THEY STILL HAVE SLAVERY! And you can't do anything about it! If you try to help the indentured person they will simply get abused more and the authorities are fine with slavery.
If you think the GLBT community is treated poorly in the US and are in danger of being brutally suppressed open your eyes! I was in Belgrade (Serbia) years ago when they were attempting to have a gay pride parade (big mistake) and not only were they brutally attacked by hundreds of Skinheads with weapons all the elderly men, women and even the children present cheered with gusto! The police? HA! They laughed and emergency services didn't come. Serbia was desperately trying to join the EU for several years (not anymore though) so the EU demanded they protect and allow gay pride parades and so thousands of police and paramilitary were deployed to protect the parades. Now that the Serbs don't want to join the EU anymore they stopped protecting them.
Russia well there is not much to be said. I have only been in the Far Eastern part of Russia where there are a lot of Asians. But trust me you do not want to be black or gay in Russia (either male or female). It cannot be a happy experience for the WNBA players that go to play in Russia (I know they live in protected compounds and are isolated from the regular population) but it can't possibly be pleasant for them there. And if you think the police here are brutal hang out in Russia. They are expected to take bribes to supplement their salaries. Generally speaking I have no problem with paying bribes, usually because the bribes are pretty cheap and a good way to get preferential treatment overseas.
I ranted enough. But I have always been a big fan of render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and render unto God that which is God's. I believe that most sports figures are better off not involving themselves in politics during their careers (ask Katerina Witt about that). It is especially risky for a league and its players who are still struggling to find financial success. I also still think a whole lot of people are taking what we enjoy here in the US for granted. It is not bad and trust me. No mater who is in the White House we value human life and dignity here. The same cannot be said of huge parts of the world.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, what are you bitches complaining about?!? at least you can drive, unlike in Saudi Arabia.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/31/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a bit of an afterthought I remember when the Baltimore Ravens won the super bowl after the 2012 season Matt Birk (who is a very gentle and intelligent man) refused to go to the White House to meet Obama because he felt that Obama was an advocate of abortion which was something he was very much so against due to his Catholic leanings. While I respected his choice I think it was misguided (my personal opinion). He also didn't make a big deal out of it. He gave no interview in regards to it, just a simple explanation. So I believe that he did handle it appropriately.

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 08/01/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, he probably wouldn't invite a WNBA team unless someone in his administration is smart enough to (they're not), or he goes through the team pics first. But now they definitely won't be invited, and I'm sure they don't consider it to be a big loss either Laughing

PostPosted: 08/01/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WH invitations and the like are given for political purposes. The players are not being honored so much as being used as props in a photo op. The idea is to get some of the player's popularity to rub off on the President. If the players don't feel like doing that, I can't blame them a bit.

My advice to Trump would be if you ever do invite a WNBA team the WH, keep your hands to your self. Otherwise, you might end up with an elbow to the face or some other kind of hostile act.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/01/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because many conditions are worse in most parts of the world doesn't mean they shouldn't or couldn't be better here.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/01/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Just because many conditions are worse in most parts of the world doesn't mean they shouldn't or couldn't be better here.

X _____________

I've never been a fan of "it could be worse" types of arguments either.

PostPosted: 08/01/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I'm gonna say about this subject is... I'm glad the 2016 WNBA Champion Los Angeles Sparks got to visit the White House and President Obama before he left office. I'm not sure how they would have felt if they had to wait for the visit until Trump became President.

Which reminds me, has there been a WNBA Championship team visiting the White House before the Presidential administration changed since they won their Finals?

PostPosted: 08/01/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
All I'm gonna say about this subject is... I'm glad the 2016 WNBA Champion Los Angeles Sparks got to visit the White House and President Obama before he left office. I'm not sure how they would have felt if they had to wait for the visit until Trump became President.

Which reminds me, has there been a WNBA Championship team visiting the White House before the Presidential administration changed since they won their Finals?

Unfortunately, the Sparks didn't get to visit Obama Sad however, he wrote them a congratulatory note.
As for your question, I did a little bit of research and it looks like they've never done that. The Comets visited Bush in '01, and I couldn't find anything on them also meeting Clinton after winning in 2000. The Shock visited Obama in '09, but not Bush. The Sparks are coming to D.C. to play the Mystics on 8/16, and hopefully they weren't invited/were able to decline if somehow they were.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: