Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
scrappy wrote:
seattle will be stupid to trade away loyd.

Of course it would be stupid.However,Loyd had been averaging 14.7p on 37% fg over the previous 18 gms.prior to playing dallas.Those are Kayla McBride numbers.The so-called chemistry between Stewart/Loyd hasn't led to prosperity.Over the last two seasons,seattle has a 26-30 record.I'm not casting total blame on Loyd.Seattle has a poorly constructed roster(G.M).But Loyd's play has been very underwhelming for most of the season.

It's almost as if everyone wants to make coach Boucek the scapegoat.

Because boucek has not produced anything in her time as HC . Nor has she gotten the maximum potential out of any of the draft picks shes selected. Talk about having #1, #3 & #1 again just to miss the playoffs again. Something has to change

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
scrappy wrote:
seattle will be stupid to trade away loyd.

Of course it would be stupid.However,Loyd had been averaging 14.7p on 37% fg over the previous 18 gms.prior to playing dallas.Those are Kayla McBride numbers.The so-called chemistry between Stewart/Loyd hasn't led to prosperity.Over the last two seasons,seattle has a 26-30 record.I'm not casting total blame on Loyd.Seattle has a poorly constructed roster(G.M).But Loyd's play has been very underwhelming for most of the season.

It's almost as if everyone wants to make coach Boucek the scapegoat.

Because boucek has not produced anything in her time as HC . Nor has she gotten the maximum potential out of any of the draft picks shes selected. Talk about having #1, #3 & #1 again just to miss the playoffs again. Something has to change

I don't see this team being a championship contender over the 5+ years. Time to do another partial re-build. Miss the playoffs, pick up another lottery pick, fire Boucek, and replace a few players on the roster all in that order.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I dont think our rebuilding is in the same place as the storm .Seattle actually has the pieces to contend , were still missing 1 or 2 before our rebuild can be complete . That way of life can be said for a few teams in this league (e.g. The Stars , The Sun , The Sky , The Fever ..not just dallas ) Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:

The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.

boucek has a long history with seattle and the franchise. after she left ann donovan as assistant, she stayed with the organization as a scout for the sonics. then came back as agler assistant. so the storm's ownership/management might have some loyalty feeling toward her.?

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

on a different note; quite often in the nba for coaches in the hot seats. many are fired during or at the end of a road trip. you think this could be boucek's coming? 5 games trip with 4 more game to go. the only possible win i see is with the stars. this could be an ugly trip.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:

I dont think our rebuilding is in the same place as the storm .Seattle actually has the pieces to contend , were still missing 1 or 2 before our rebuild can be complete . That way of life can be said for a few teams in this league (e.g. The Stars , The Sun , The Sky , The Fever ..not just dallas ) Rolling Eyes

Yeah - didn't mean to single out the Wings. Lucky ping pong balls make all the difference. Shock/Wings never got the lucky balls.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Yeah - didn't mean to single out the Wings. Lucky ping pong balls make all the difference. Shock/Wings never got the lucky balls.

Im secretly hoping we lose the rest of our games , im sure Chicago & ATL do not want to see the wings in the lottery neither ! This could be our breakthrough season for that #1 Pick Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the 2 year numbers but Dallas would probably have a worse two year record than Indiana, Atlanta or Seattle, so I don't want them in the lottery.

I have run my tips out the rest of the season and at present only have the Dream as favorite in 2 games (assuming everyone is trying to win) - Stars and Storm. Hard to see making the playoff with only 12 wins though. I have the Storm ending with 12 wins as well.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:

1) Agler wanted no part of a rebuild and asked to interview elsewhere
2) Sue Bird came back primarily because Boucek was hired.
3) I'm starting to wonder how much of it is players being forced on her by a crappy GM.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/31/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the GM is setting the stage for the blame falling on the coach, whether deserved or not. Coaches seem to go before the GM's get fired.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 07/31/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I haven't looked at the 2 year numbers but Dallas would probably have a worse two year record than Indiana, Atlanta or Seattle, so I don't want them in the lottery.

I have run my tips out the rest of the season and at present only have the Dream as favorite in 2 games (assuming everyone is trying to win) - Stars and Storm. Hard to see making the playoff with only 12 wins though. I have the Storm ending with 12 wins as well.

Here's a table
Tm - '16-'17-left = min/max

NYL - 21 12 12 = 33/45
PHO - 16 13 11 = 29/40
CON - 14 14 11 = 28/39
WAS - 13 14 11 = 27/38

ATL - 17 10 11 = 27/38
SEA - 16 10 11 = 26/37
CHI - 18 8 10 = 26/36
IND - 17 8 10 = 25/35
DAL - 11 11 9 = 22/31
SAS - 7 3 10 = 10/20

Stars have the top percentage sewn up. Dallas has a 3 game advantage for the 2nd spot and the smallest margin for error in staying in the playoffs.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/31/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My current projection (worth .02) is Dream and Storm end at 12 wins each, Sky and Wings at 14. That assumes the Dream beat the Storm in the upcoming Atlanta game.

There are many wild cards but the last week of the season when winning teams are locked into playoff spots and don't care about w/l might be what makes all the difference.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would teams possibly tank the last week with chances of making the #7 & #8 spot to qualify for the lottery? Im not saying Wings are Tender , But...... Cool

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Would teams possibly tank the last week with chances of making the #7 & #8 spot to qualify for the lottery? Im not saying Wings are Tender , But...... Cool

I can definitely see that happening. The tank may be crowded. 4 teams ether fighting for the playoffs, or fighting for the lottery. Only Stars and Indy seem to be locks for the lottery. Dream/Sky trade makes it look like the Sky have decided to tank while the Dream have decided to try to make the playoffs at the expense of a possible lottery pick.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it will be hard for Seattle to get past Atl or Dallas they're 8-6 at home and 2-7 on the road, that means 8 more road games and 3 more home games, and they aren't very good on the road. Atl is clearly trying to stay in the playoffs and Dallas would have to be really bad to fall behind Seattle unless Seattle goes on a run.

Now if the conspiracy theory of Deshields to Dallas is a thing if Dallas does end up in the lottery they have the best shot at the #2 pick, which is where I think Deshields goes barring injury or early entries of amazing players with size (A. Steven after winning a ship in Conn)

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I think it will be hard for Seattle to get past Atl or Dallas they're 8-6 at home and 2-7 on the road, that means 8 more road games and 3 more home games, and they aren't very good on the road. Atl is clearly trying to stay in the playoffs and Dallas would have to be really bad to fall behind Seattle unless Seattle goes on a run.

Now if the conspiracy theory of Deshields to Dallas is a thing if Dallas does end up in the lottery they have the best shot at the #2 pick, which is where I think Deshields goes barring injury or early entries of amazing players with size (A. Steven after winning a ship in Conn)

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question

PostPosted: 07/31/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question

She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.

So that means she automatically becomes a top 5 draft pick ? Laughing I believe she has the talents to be but 1 year with the program playing with Gabby , KLS & Kia / phe wont get you many touches or chances to show your an elite draft pick. Something has to give , either she comes out worlds ablazing or Gabby's production decreases.

PostPosted: 08/01/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

So that means she automatically becomes a top 5 draft pick ? Laughing I believe she has the talents to be but 1 year with the program playing with Gabby , KLS & Kia / phe wont get you many touches or chances to show your an elite draft pick. Something has to give , either she comes out worlds ablazing or Gabby's production decreases.

The reason why Gabby was playing the post last year was that UCONN's only other option, Buck, wasn't better than Gabby at the position. That won't be the case with Stevens coming in. Gabby is most likely returning to her natural guard position. This is a good thing because Gabby won't be a post player in the WNBA.

Here is a description of Stevens from her Duke bio:
Quote:
A very talented player with huge potential ... a tremendous athletic player and is graceful ... aggressive ... has excellent three point shooting ability ... can play any position on the floor ... very determined and exciting to watch.

Hmmm, combine that with the fact that she's 6'6. It's sounding a lot like Jonquel Jones. A year or two ago, if you would have said you thought Jonquel Jones would be a better WNBA prospect than Azura Stevens, most people would have thought you were crazy. Jones started out at Clemson and transferred to mid-major GW. Not the greatest resume. It remains to be seen if Stevens will compare to Jones. Jones has gotten the opportunity and made the most of it, but I think it looks good for her. I guess you'll just have to watch UConn this year and see for yourself. If you don't want to project her as a Top 5, that's up to you. You'll probably alone in that regard.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/01/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

The reason why Gabby was playing the post last year was that UCONN's only other option, Buck, wasn't better than Gabby at the position. That won't be the case with Stevens coming in. Gabby is most likely returning to her natural guard position. This is a good thing because Gabby won't be a post player in the WNBA.

Quote:
A very talented player with huge potential ... a tremendous athletic player and is graceful ... aggressive ... has excellent three point shooting ability ... can play any position on the floor ... very determined and exciting to watch.

Hmmm, combine that with the fact that she's 6'6. It's sounding a lot like Jonquel Jones. A year or two ago, if you would have said you thought Jonquel Jones would be a better WNBA prospect than Azura Stevens, most people would have thought you were crazy. Jones started out at Clemson and transferred to mid-major GW. Not the greatest resume. It remains to be seen if Stevens will compare to Jones. Jones has gotten the opportunity and made the most of it, but I think it looks good for her. I guess you'll just have to watch UConn this year and see for yourself. If you don't want to project her as a Top 5, that's up to you. You'll probably alone in that regard.

So Gabby playing guard will benefit her in the WNBA how ? Shes played post almost her entire college career and she shifts to guard her senior year and people are expecting her to be a lottery pick ? Shocked And yes i will be alone in that regard on Stevens , all this publicity using other players to compare her to and yada yada same stuff was said for Plum. Let her game do the talking then i will consider her an elite player in this draft. Hopefully she lives up to these crazy standards people are projecting of her

PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:

So Gabby playing guard will benefit her in the WNBA how ? Shes played post almost her entire college career and she shifts to guard her senior year and people are expecting her to be a lottery pick ? Shocked And yes i will be alone in that regard on Stevens , all this publicity using other players to compare her to and yada yada same stuff was said for Plum. Let her game do the talking then i will consider her an elite player in this draft. Hopefully she lives up to these crazy standards people are projecting of her

Gabby came into UConn as a guard. She only played post out of the necessity for the team. It's not like Geno decided she was a horrible guard, and shifted her to the post. She's been working on her shot, so if it develops then yes she will be. She'd be a good fit for SA, Chicago and Indiana.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, you stopped throwing shade at Stevens and now you're throwing it at Gabby? First time I was wowed by Gabby was the big regular season game against ND. She singlehandedly dismantled them with a line of 19 points, 12 rebounds, six assists and five steals. She's been wowing me ever since. She's the best defender on a UConn team. Coaches are thirsting for college players willing to put energy into defense. Any team will be lucky to have Gabby.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:

Doesn't Stevens have two years of eligibility left? Has there been any indication if she plans to stay or go after only one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: