RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FU McCain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:30 am    ::: FU McCain Reply Reply with quote

Is there a better example of "I got mine, fuck you"?

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He does a good job of posing. He'll fire off a lot of rhetoric calling out questionable bills, but then will ultimately vote for them. For instance, he spoke out a lot against the health care bill...but then flew back after brain surgery and a brain cancer diagnosis to make sure it got the votes it needed to proceed. If he really was troubled by it, he had the perfect excuse to allow it to fail with absolutely no blow back on him. That should speak volumes to what his actual beliefs are. He likes to act the moderate maverick, but when the votes fall he is in lock step with the rest of the party.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was really a fan of him until he did this. Just a huge slap in the face to America.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/26/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That whole "democrats and republicans are the same" discussion y'all had aged well. Laughing

I'm done giving McCain the benefit of the doubt. He's shown who he is too many times now. And at this point, it's not even like he needs to put money in his donors pockets. He's just fucking over Americans for the fun of it.

I'll throw my hope behind Collins and the rest of the GOP ladies.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
And at this point, it's not even like he needs to put money in his donors pockets

He hasn't ruled out running again

PostPosted: 07/26/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've known McCain for 20 years. I've never really understood this "moderate" "maverick" image. He's very much a traditional conservative Republican. Always has been. Now that may make him appear more centrist these days compared to the fundy right nutjobs like Cruz, but he isn't a centrist. Anyone thinking he was going to be a savior on healthcare was deluding themselves. Why would you think that?

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/26/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I've known McCain for 20 years. I've never really understood this "moderate" "maverick" image. He's very much a traditional conservative Republican. Always has been. Now that may make him appear more centrist these days compared to the fundy right nutjobs like Cruz, but he isn't a centrist. Anyone thinking he was going to be a savior on healthcare was deluding themselves. Why would you think that?

It's mostly his rhetoric. Love him or hate him he is politically masterful. He comes out strong verbally, but never actually defines his position on issues. It is only if you track voting records that his true views come out.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Why only 20? He's been in the Senate for 30.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It's mostly his rhetoric. Love him or hate him he is politically masterful. He comes out strong verbally, but never actually defines his position on issues. It is only if you track voting records that his true views come out.

I also think, there's a general want from liberals/centrists to like McCain. As said, I've repeatedly given him the benefit of the doubt because he says the right things, is likable, and has that whole "American Hero" thing going for him.

And I guess I still held out hope for him because even if he's not a centrist, these fundy right nutjobs are running the circus, and I thought he might vote against that.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Because I first met him in the early 90s.

Before that I only knew of him but had never actually met him.

What's your point?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 07/27/17 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What's your point?

What is the extent of your relationship?

PostPosted: 07/27/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What's your point?

I know him professionally. Have worked with him on legislation over the years. We don't vacation together and I've never been to his house for dinner if that's what you mean. Why does it matter to you? And why is it any of your business?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 07/27/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What's your point?

I know him professionally. Have worked with him on legislation over the years. We don't vacation together and I've never been to his house for dinner if that's what you mean. Why does it matter to you? And why is it any of your business?

What legislation, and in what capacity did you work with him?

PostPosted: 07/27/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What's your point?

Apart from the fact that I am not about to discuss on a sports message board work I did for clients, it's none of your fucking business.

Grow up.

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/28/17 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might have to edit the title...

He is clearly conservative, not a moderate, but he did just take quite a stand against jackassery.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

He is clearly conservative, not a moderate, but he did just take quite a stand against jackassery.

I'm glad he did the right thing.

Collins and Murkowski deserve more credit than him though. Trump literally threatened Murkowski's state today, and Senate GOP members were threatening the two of them.

But it's clear he played Trump. His procedural vote followed up with a vote for the awful House bill lulled the GOP a bit.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well color me surprised. Confronting his mortality must be having an effect.

On the other hand, we have Lindsey Graham, another who likes to portray himself as brave and independent, who called the skinny bill a "disaster" and a "fraud," and then went ahead and voted "aye".

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 07/28/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What's your point?

Apart from the fact that I am not about to discuss on a sports message board work I did for clients, it's none of your fucking business.

Grow up.

You're the one who posted on a sports message board that you have a relationship with the guy.

You made it fucking public.

Grow up.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I'm glad he did the right thing.

Collins and Murkowski deserve more credit than him though. Trump literally threatened Murkowski's state today, and Senate GOP members were threatening the two of them.

But it's clear he played Trump. His procedural vote followed up with a vote for the awful House bill lulled the GOP a bit.

I don't know if I'd give the guy that much credit. I'd like to think he played Trump and has been waiting to pay the prick back for his "I don't like war heroes who get caught" disgrace.

But really, I don't give a shit what was his motivation.

I agree it's the WOMEN who saved the bacon, and they deserve all the credit.

It's probably the fresh air they both breathe, when not in DC., that helps them think clearly and maintain their humanity.

The rest of the GOP is a disgrace.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

You're the one who posted on a sports message board that you have a relationship with the guy.

You made it fucking public.

Grow up.

Give it up. Stop channelling Trump. I sure as hell don't give a shit whether you believe me or not. But I've worked on DC for 40 years. In govt, out of govt. I've met and worked with and know a lot of people. Why you're all knotted up about that I have no idea. I suggest you take a deep breath.

You might stop misquoting people too.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/28/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes I love twitter. Laughing

"Trump just sold Alaska to Russia."

"McCain doesn't like President's who are caught by Putin."

On another note, speaking of McCain. He had to go ahead and open his mouth when I was happy with him. I wish he'd stop repeating the lie that Obama didn't involve Republicans. He allowed Republicans to make over 100 Amendments to the ACA, diluting the bill, in the name of bipartisanship, and then the GOP being the GOP decided to all vote against it in unity, anyway.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Sometimes I love twitter. Laughing

"Trump just sold Alaska to Russia."

"McCain doesn't like President's who are caught by Putin."

On another note, speaking of McCain. He had to go ahead and open his mouth when I was happy with him. I wish he'd stop repeating the lie that Obama didn't involve Republicans. He allowed Republicans to make over 100 Amendments to the ACA, diluting the bill, in the name of bipartisanship, and then the GOP being the GOP decided to all vote against it in unity, anyway.

Yeah, no Republicans voted for the bill but they were absolutely involved. Dave Durenberger a former Republican Senator from Minnesota (and someone who has focused on health care since he left the Senate) made note of that in his recent WaPo opinion piece.

He noted that the Democrats, when passing Obamacare, came off their desire for single-payer and embraced a market based system. Then to try and give it some bipartisan support they even scrapped the public option, something Obama took a lot of heat for.

And he is right. Looking at the bill itself, there is nothing in there so "left" that the Republicans as a block should have opposed it. It was a very moderate plan. Moderate Republicans voted against it for political reasons, not policy ones. And what should now be clear is that they have no plan at all that can do it better.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
And what should now be clear is that they have no plan at all that can do it better.

Oh, I think some of them have or know of plans that can do it better, but to make any plan work requires, among other things, mandatory universal coverage (which is a non-starter among the GOP supporters), and any workable plan is going to require massive govt subsidies, whether through Medicaid or otherwise (which is another non-starter).

So it's not the absence of better approaches, it's just politics. They've boxed themselves in by campaigning against essential elements.

So what they have is no plan that is both workable and politically feasible.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/28/17 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

That was amateur hour. Those were the most ineffective "threats" in the history of politics. Murkowski chairs both the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, and the Interior Appropriations Subcommittee. She basically owns the Interior Dept. If they messed with her or Alaska she's in a position to bottle up their entire Interior agenda. It's another example of the amateur hour going on. Pros would have known better than to try. And from an election standpoint, she owes the party nothing. They already tried to screw her by backing a Tea Party challenger and she got re-elected running a write-in campaign as an independant. I wouldn't call her seat safe, but she got elected without the party's help last time and probably figures she can do it again.

Collins has no serious threat from the right in her state so there's no real leverage. She and Olympia Snow used to be the Bobsey Twins - the last of a dying breed of center left Republicans. When Snow retired Maine replaced her with Angus King, a former Dem governor who ran as an independant and caucuses with the Democrats. Collins can probably keep her seat as long as she wants. They need her vote, they can't afford to drive her away.

McCain likely knows his days are numbered and he has over five years left on his current term. And Trump's defense buildup has to go through McCain. Another member who is essentially immune from pressure.

Trump evidently doesn't understand how little leverage he has over these people. They have no reason to care about his Twitter tantrums. And insulting them doesn't exactly help the next time he needs their vote. But hey, I'm sure Mooch can help with Congressional relations. Shocked

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/28/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

So what they have is no plan that is both workable and politically feasible.

Oh, I agree 100%. This is really what I meant when I said "no plan".

The genius of Obamacare is that it made the vast majority of the country (including many Republican voters) start to see comprehensive health care as an entitlement.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: