68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 16

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
One thing I can do on a court is shoot.

So, why don't you become a volunteer shooting coach? I remember Myrtle posting something similar too -- that shooting always came easily to her. You guys should both sign-up because whatever T-Spoon is doing isn't working right now.

How's your crossover dribble?

My crossover is terrible lol. I think it's mental more than physical. Until she gets past that I don't think the coaching matters. And lol I have way more faith in Spoon than myself.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:
Whalen's husband is quite good looking...!

I saw rather more of him than I wanted to while Shavonte was hunched over in pain on the court and Lobo was rambling on about the goddamn golf cart.

Laughing Laughing Laughing true...

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/26/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kiah Stokes: 14:47, 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 3 fouls.

Glass half-full: One-point loss carrying that weight.

Glass half-empty: Stokes has regressed, perhaps to the point of sitting down at the end of the bench.

Prince looked good. If she keeps that up, New York will be much more consistent offensively. (Haven't seen the fourth quarter yet, though ...)

Sugar Rodgers is not a good shooter. She's not a bad shooter, but she's a volume scorer -- and because of that, the Libs, it seems to me, definitely need a sharpshooter to balance her out. Someone like Leilani Mitchell, say, who can make open shots, which is not something Lindsay Allen or Brittany Boyd can do.

Still, a gutty effort on the road against the league's best team with a starter going down mid-game.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Glass half-empty: Stokes has regressed, perhaps to the point of sitting down at the end of the bench.

Prince looked good. If she keeps that up, New York will be much more consistent offensively. (Haven't seen the fourth quarter yet, though ...)

Sugar Rodgers is not a good shooter. She's not a bad shooter, but she's a volume scorer -- and because of that, the Libs, it seems to me, definitely need a sharpshooter to balance her out. Someone like Leilani Mitchell, say, who can make open shots, which is not something Lindsay Allen or Brittany Boyd can do.

Still, a gutty effort on the road against the league's best team with a starter going down mid-game.

Don't know if you saw the game but Stokes altered some shots, especially perimeter players when switching or rotating. She was a positive factor in spite of the stats.

Not to mention if Z doesn't go down their chances of winning would have been greater. Minnesota was having trouble dealing with her speed in transition and st the time of her injury a one point deficit immediately ballooned.

Most teams that win have the same lineup more than 3 games in a row.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding replacing Z if needed, Bec isn't ready. She still only has the one move, a pull up J going left. Defend that by forcing her to either pull up to the right or to penetrate and she has nothing. She either has to drive with both hands (something she is actually capable of) or accept that she's going to be very one-dimensional and easy to defend the more minutes she plays. Sugar also defended Maya way better than Bec did in her limited SF minutes. I'd rather have Sugar at the 3 in ensuing games with the upcoming matchups if we need it.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

The three players you highlighted have run hot and cold all season long. On any given day, they can look like end-of-bench players or all-stars. As I've said over and over again, if you don't take the time to watch the games, you're going to get a distorted picture. As for shooting, the Liberty have needed more shooting for years. However, Laimbeer's emphasis is on defense. Players who can both shoot and defend well end up as all-league players. They're obviously hard to get. Given the choice between offense or defense, the franchise -- even under other coaches -- has always chosen defense.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Regarding replacing Z if needed, Bec isn't ready. She still only has the one move, a pull up J going left. Defend that by forcing her to either pull up to the right or to penetrate and she has nothing. She either has to drive with both hands (something she is actually capable of) or accept that she's going to be very one-dimensional and easy to defend the more minutes she plays. Sugar also defended Maya way better than Bec did in her limited SF minutes. I'd rather have Sugar at the 3 in ensuing games with the upcoming matchups if we need it.

Allen is just a different type of player. What she does well is move without the ball and spot up. If you run out at her, then she can put the ball on the floor and drive past you. She is not a one-on-one player. Whenever she dribbles around she loses the ball or gets trapped. Unfortunately, that's the offense the Liberty are running now. It's very stationary. Bec used to move without the ball all the time last season. Now she mostly stands in the corner and waits. All that standing around, fewer minutes, and Laimbeer showing no confidence in her has probably affected Allen's shooting.

As far as defense goes, it looked like Sugar was playing flat-out ball denial. I remember her leaning all over Moore at one point, trying to stay between Maya and the ballhandler. Maybe it was an aberration -- I would have to go back and watch the end of the game again. Conversely, Allen was playing the normal defense which meant sagging off Moore to protect the middle. That allows the opponent to get away much more easily if they want to move without the ball or use screens. It's a big difference in approach. Laimbeer has historically been reluctant to play ball denial. He even said so in an interview when discussing EDD. He came right out and said, "We should probably play more ball-denial, but that's not who we are." So, you have to look at what the players are trying to do, not simply whether the opponent scores or not.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Liambeer should try to give Rebecca Allen a chance to start in the absence of Z at the SF, lets see how she can handle it. And again keep Sugar as a 6 woman comin off the bench

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/26/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she's absent. Which leads to another issue. Finding out about injuries. Info is very hard to come by.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Allen is just a different type of player. What she does well is move without the ball and spot up. If you run out at her, then she can put the ball on the floor and drive past you. She is not a one-on-one player. Whenever she dribbles around she loses the ball or gets trapped. Unfortunately, that's the offense the Liberty are running now. It's very stationary. Bec used to move without the ball all the time last season. Now she mostly stands in the corner and waits. All that standing around, fewer minutes, and Laimbeer showing no confidence in her has probably affected Allen's shooting.

As far as defense goes, it looked like Sugar was playing flat-out ball denial. I remember her leaning all over Moore at one point, trying to stay between Maya and the ballhandler. Maybe it was an aberration -- I would have to go back and watch the end of the game again. Conversely, Allen was playing the normal defense which meant sagging off Moore to protect the middle. That allows the opponent to get away much more easily if they want to move without the ball or use screens. It's a big difference in approach. Laimbeer has historically been reluctant to play ball denial. He even said so in an interview when discussing EDD. He came right out and said, "We should probably play more ball-denial, but that's not who we are." So, you have to look at what the players are trying to do, not simply whether the opponent scores or not.

I mean, it's Maya Moore so she's an anomaly. Z contained her too before she basically lit up Allen, though again, no disgrace in having Maya score on you. Also, Sugar was denying the ball. Something that's not sustainable from a fatigue standpoint long-term anyway. Allen's D also generally has been really good this year. I thought the league caught up to Allen last year on offense though, as she became less effective once people figured out if you make her dribble she's far more likely to dribble once left and shoot rather than drive. Maybe they'll incorporate a few things for her if she does wind up having to play more minutes too though.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The three players you highlighted have run hot and cold all season long. On any given day, they can look like end-of-bench players or all-stars. As I've said over and over again, if you don't take the time to watch the games, you're going to get a distorted picture. As for shooting, the Liberty have needed more shooting for years. However, Laimbeer's emphasis is on defense. Players who can both shoot and defend well end up as all-league players. They're obviously hard to get. Given the choice between offense or defense, the franchise -- even under other coaches -- has always chosen defense.

Obviously, they run hot and cold, as do most players (though this trio more than others).

The issue remains, however. Altering a couple shots cannot make up for 15 minutes of negativity, and if the Liberty are to be, or become, a consistent force in the league, they need players who can, at some level, be counted on.

And if a franchise always chooses defense, then the team is imbalanced. Good teams manage to get two-way players, but barring that, getting some players who can score and some who can defend allows for flexibility -- and in this case, allows the team to occasionally space the floor so Tina Charles can go to work.

Laimbeer naturally favors the Bad Boys' style of team-building, but it doesn't always work. Adding a couple players who can make outside shots could make a big difference to this team, even if they gave up a little on the defensive end.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's some 3 point percentages of some players. Player A and Player C are whole career. Player B and Player D are most recent years since early years either have little sample size or no measurable differential in stats. Players A through C were all-stars this year:

Player A
31.2%
36.5%
21.6%
25.5%
29.8%
29.7%
44.0%

Player B
31.5%
38.7%
34.0%
36.6%
45.4%

Player C
43.8%
36.4%
31.3%
42.6%
34.9%

Player D
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
36.6%

Player A is Jasmine Thomas. Player B is Allie Quigley, who also won the 3 point shooting contest. Player C is Elena Delle Donne. Player D is Tamera Young. As we can see, 3 point shooting percentages of three of these players are at extreme career highs in 2016. Delle Donne's 3 point numbers tend to fluctuate, and I don't think anyone would argue against the theory that she is one of the league's top shooters. If you look at Sugar, she certainly has better form, release and touch than Thomas and Young. And she has a release that's on par with Quigley's.

I don't think Sugar's problem is the 3, in terms of her actual ability. I think she'll find the touch. I think Sugar's far bigger problem is that in spite of heavy work on it, the mid-range game is still largely not there. We see some of the wild shots, etc...shots that I think she must be working on in practice to continually try them in games, even though she misses most of them. The fact remains, however, that she is really disproportionately dependent on the 3 point shot in order to maintain a representative overall field goal percentage. If you look at the 4 players up top, they all have varying degrees of mid-range play that are better historically than their 3 point percentages. Quigley and Delle Donne are particularly good at it, with EDD also getting to the line a bunch. Nobody's going to focus on Delle Donne's 3 point percentage if her overall percentage is good and she gets to the line a bunch. What makes Sugar's percentage a difficult issue is the fact that her 2-point percentage does nothing to raise her overall field goal percentage. It also puts a lot of pressure on her to make 3's, because if she doesn't, she doesn't balance it out too effectively with other parts of the game, including handle and passing.

Factor also that Sugar doesn't really have point guard play getting her the ball in open places too often. Last year she did, as well as a post player who averaged 4 assists per game. This year she is doing a lot more work off the dribble in a system where higher pace of play is expected. The results have been less than stellar. But I don't think it necessarily means Rodgers isn't one of the league's better shooters. I think this is a case where you take the numbers for what they are, but you also look beyond them. If Sugar was shooting 43% overall from the field with the same 3 point percentage, would any of us be so focused on just the 3? I don't think so. In turn, I think she puts a ton of mental pressure on herself from the 3 point line because it's such a disproportionate factor in her success or lack thereof in terms of efficiency.

PostPosted: 07/28/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good stuff ...

I'm impressed that some players have developed steady three-point shots over time, so maybe there's hope for Brittany Boyd. (I remain unconvinced, however, that Teresa Weatherspoon is any more than average as a shooting coach.)

In general, looking at the NBA as well, only a small percentage of players are able to add consistent threes to their arsenal after they turn professional, but we're seeing more and more of it as people realize that size is actually an advantage for a three-point shooter, not a detriment (generally, taller players are stronger and thus the shot is easier).

PostPosted: 07/28/17 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Good stuff ...

I'm impressed that some players have developed steady three-point shots over time, so maybe there's hope for Brittany Boyd. (I remain unconvinced, however, that Teresa Weatherspoon is any more than average as a shooting coach.)

In general, looking at the NBA as well, only a small percentage of players are able to add consistent threes to their arsenal after they turn professional, but we're seeing more and more of it as people realize that size is actually an advantage for a three-point shooter, not a detriment (generally, taller players are stronger and thus the shot is easier).

NBA players are also starting younger than they used to, so more growth is to be expected.

Height is an advantage for a three-point shooter, but less of an advantage than it is for post players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: