RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Yikes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:17 pm    ::: Yikes Reply Reply with quote

Original title was "You think WNBA refs are bad?", but that doesn't cover all the screw-ups in this sequence.
This is from the U-19 World Championships that are currently in progress.

<iframe width="650" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e_EbeUmZ3Y4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, to be fair the Russian team was pretty dumb. The refs just missed that it should have been an over and back call rather than awarding points to Spain for Russia scoring on themselves. But I can imagine a WTF from the refs not grasping what Russia was doing. The refs actually got the rest of the ridiculousness right, other than an own goal like that is only 2 points no matter where it is shot from. But ignoring the over and back it should have been Spain +2 points and Russia's ball under the basket.

Called correctly (other than I thought it looked like it should have been out on Russia back in the beginning of it all, but I couldn't see for sure) it should have been Over and Back on Russia, and a sideline thrown in at half court for Spain.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, giving Russia the ball back was the first screw-up. It seemed like everyone on the court knew it was Spain's ball and acted accordingly ... heading for the other end. Even after that though, yes, it should have been a violation the moment Russia crossed the half court line.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It obviously should've been a backcourt violation when they crossed midcourt, but once they've missed that I'm not sure exactly what the FIBA rule is on shooting at the wrong basket. I like that it just counted as three points for Spain, because that's just the funniest outcome.

Something very similar actually happened in the WNBA earlier this season. San Antonio came back after a timeout, inbounded the ball and attacked the wrong basket against a somewhat confused Chicago. The ball didn't go in, but under WNBA rules an attempted shot at the wrong basket is an immediate turnover. The Sky got the ball on the sideline, while Andrew Monaco blathered on about something else entirely because he had no idea what had just happened.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in the video. Still, I've seen worse.

#NATC

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in the video. Still, I've seen worse.

Laughing Easiest guessing challenge in the world: what would I find at that link

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Laughing Easiest guessing challenge in the world: what would I find at that link

Yeah, I totally nailed that version of pilight's Trivia Time. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/27/17 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

The Greatest shot never made Laughing I still am perplexed how it seemed as though none of the ATL players/bench or coaches seemed to recognize it or the little care they showed especially with the game so close in the 4th with 3 mins remaining Laughing Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/27/17 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

The Greatest shot never made Laughing I still am perplexed how it seemed as though none of the ATL players/bench or coaches seemed to recognize it or the little care they showed especially with the game so close in the 4th with 3 mins remaining Laughing Embarassed

Because the points didn't get put on the scoreboard until the next timeout. You can see Pokey Chatman questioning the ref as to why EDD only got one FT, then laughing on the way back to the bench after they explained it to her.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Because the points didn't get put on the scoreboard until the next timeout. You can see Pokey Chatman questioning the ref as to why EDD only got one FT, then laughing on the way back to the bench after they explained it to her.

#ClassicPokey Cool Cool

PostPosted: 07/27/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It obviously should've been a backcourt violation when they crossed midcourt, but once they've missed that I'm not sure exactly what the FIBA rule is on shooting at the wrong basket. I like that it just counted as three points for Spain, because that's just the funniest outcome.

Something very similar actually happened in the WNBA earlier this season. San Antonio came back after a timeout, inbounded the ball and attacked the wrong basket against a somewhat confused Chicago. The ball didn't go in, but under WNBA rules an attempted shot at the wrong basket is an immediate turnover. The Sky got the ball on the sideline, while Andrew Monaco blathered on about something else entirely because he had no idea what had just happened.

What i know from the rule is that the captain of the other team is awarded the 2 pts. I dont know if this rule changed in the last few years though

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 07/27/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

What i know from the rule is that the captain of the other team is awarded the 2 pts. I dont know if this rule changed in the last few years though

In some leagues, if a player puts the ball in the wrong basket, the player from the other team who is closest to the play gets credit for the bucket.

When did the WNBA change this rule? IIRC, I've seen footage of LJ scoring a layup for the other team, so I don't think the WNBA always prohibited players from shooting at the wrong basket.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

In some leagues, if a player puts the ball in the wrong basket, the player from the other team who is closest to the play gets credit for the bucket.

When did the WNBA change this rule? IIRC, I've seen footage of LJ scoring a layup for the other team, so I don't think the WNBA always prohibited players from shooting at the wrong basket.

It's a matter of intent. The original WNBA rulebook Rule 5, I(e) states:

Quote:
A field goal that, in the opinion of the officials, is intentionally scored in the wrong basket shall be disallowed. The ball shall be awarded to the opposing team out-of-bounds at the free throw line extended.

The wording has been changed slightly since then. It now says

Quote:
It is a violation for a player to attempt a field goal at an opponent’s basket. The ball shall be awarded to the opposing team out-of-bounds at the free throw line extended.

The change first appeared in the 2004 rulebook, following a similar change in the 2003-04 NBA rules. I would guess it was in response to the Ricky Davis triple-double incident.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see. Thank you for the response! I guess the closest player from the other team getting credit situation only applies on accidental tip-ins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: