RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sky moving to Wintrust Arena for 2018 season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadb

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:28 am    ::: Sky moving to Wintrust Arena for 2018 season Reply Reply with quote

Just saw on twitter. This is good yes?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heck I think more teams should move to small arenas until they fill them up then move up if they sell those out. If not then the smaller atmosphere makes for better entertainment anyway.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10k seats is a good size. I'll leave to the Chicago natives to say whether it's a good location.

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kudos to Michael Alter, I gotta' believe this will cost him more per game than Rosemont.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-sky-home-games-wintrust-arena-20170725-story.html

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/25/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for folks in the city. Bad for folks in the suburbs.

That area is a total fucking mess and a nightmare for driving. Probably one of the worst parts of the Chicago infrastructure. During rush hour it's going to take me around an hour and a half to get to each game (compared to 30 minutes at worst for Allstate).

Might not be renewing next season.

stever wrote:
Kudos to Michael Alter, I gotta' believe this will cost him more per game than Rosemont.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-sky-home-games-wintrust-arena-20170725-story.html

Yes, this does suggest that the team is still in good health financially, so I guess that's good news.

stever

PostPosted: 07/25/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170725/BLOGS04/170729913/chicago-sky-moving-to-wintrust-arena

Quote:
The Sky will pay MPEA a base fee of $161,500 a year for the regular season under the contract and $9,500 per playoff game. That's on par with what the team paid the village of Rosemont under its most recent lease agreement at Allstate Arena, which expires at the end of this season.

The deal also includes revenue-sharing between the Sky and MPEA. The team will keep all revenue from ticket and merchandise sales. MPEA will keep revenue from concession sales, parking and fees associated with ticket sales.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/25/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No more free parking. At least parking is advertised as free.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/25/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

There is no free parking in downtown Chicago! The pigeons even have to pay to park. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/25/17 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This move has been known for awhile, and I am very excited. Being without a car, I am basically completely unable to attend games in Rosemont. Now I can practically walk.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/25/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
tfan wrote:

There is no free parking in downtown Chicago! The pigeons even have to pay to park. Laughing

can you get there on the El?

- Amanda Gorman
bullsky

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
tfan wrote:

can you get there on the El?

Yes. It is 2 blocks from the new McCormick Place Green Line, Four blocks from the Cermak Red Line, there is also a Metra train stop right there too. State Street buses too.

I am BEYOND excited for this move. Selfishly, it's 10 minutes from my apartment, meaning instead of going to 5 games or so (most I've ever gone to at All State), I am now considering Season Tickets.

Additionally, while it is certainly a downer for some of the suburban folks, I think it's important to look at this move from a Sky point of view. This arena will be GORGEOUS (see below). Perfect size for the Sky, state of the art facilities, located in a very up-and-coming area that is booming right now. Additionally, there is a larger pool of potential attendees in the city than there are in the suburbs (imagine every hotel in McCormick place promoting Sky games to tourists). I also think this will help connect the Sky to more partnerships with Chicago organizations and businesses. Overall, I think this will be a great move and will help the Sky become profitable, which Alter said they were close to. This could put them over.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That arena looks gorgeous! Kudos to the Sky at Atler for pushing to make this team profitable!!

stever

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, All Star Game in Chicago anyone? Wink

toad455

PostPosted: 07/26/17 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

we'll probably be waiting a while for this one. I think the Sky will turn a profit in the next few seasons with this move. Minnesota will have the game in 2018(likely), I'd love to see Los Angeles host the game in 2019. There will be no game in 2020, & I'd prefer the game in New York in 2021(25th anniversary). So maybe 2022?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/26/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always loved the idea of smaller arenas, but it sure doesn't seem to be working in Dallas. Of course, the situations are different, but still ...

PostPosted: 07/26/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Dallas, I wonder what kind of marketing is being done there. Of course it comes down to seeing 4k in a small arena and seeing 4k in a large arena (BOK Center) and the likelihood that the rent is a lot cheaper where they are.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/26/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've always loved the idea of smaller arenas, but it sure doesn't seem to be working in Dallas. Of course, the situations are different, but still ...

The Sky started out in a 6,500 capacity arena and had very poor attendance. But location and/or luxury of the arena could have been the reason. The Sky's small arena was on a college campus just like the Wings.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/26/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am seeing articles that say that DePaul plays basketball at the Allstate Arena now. I thought I've seen the women playing in a smaller old school college gym that didn't have stands on the end.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
stever wrote:

we'll probably be waiting a while for this one. I think the Sky will turn a profit in the next few seasons with this move. Minnesota will have the game in 2018(likely), I'd love to see Los Angeles host the game in 2019. There will be no game in 2020, & I'd prefer the game in New York in 2021(25th anniversary). So maybe 2022?

Why wouldn't the 25th anniversary be in LA, where the first game was played?

PostPosted: 07/26/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170725/BLOGS04/170729913/chicago-sky-moving-to-wintrust-arena

Quote:
The Sky will pay MPEA a base fee of $161,500 a year for the regular season under the contract and $9,500 per playoff game. That's on par with what the team paid the village of Rosemont under its most recent lease agreement at Allstate Arena, which expires at the end of this season.

The deal also includes revenue-sharing between the Sky and MPEA. The team will keep all revenue from ticket and merchandise sales. MPEA will keep revenue from concession sales, parking and fees associated with ticket sales.

Good find. Only one data point, of course, but at least gives an idea of what teams might be paying for small arena's. For NBA arena's you would have to assume it is a lot more.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I am seeing articles that say that DePaul plays basketball at the Allstate Arena now. I thought I've seen the women playing in a smaller old school college gym that didn't have stands on the end.

The DePaul men play at Allstate, I think. The women play at the on-campus facility, McGrath-Phillips. I don't know if either of them would be moving to Wintrust.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
tfan wrote:

The DePaul men play at Allstate, I think. The women play at the on-campus facility, McGrath-Phillips. I don't know if either of them would be moving to Wintrust.

For what it's worth, Wikipedia thinks they both are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintrust_Arena

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
tfan wrote:

BOTH are moving to Wintrust. DePaul is paying half the cost. This is the arena DePaul has wanted for years. They are the primary driver.

The WBB team currently plays at 3000 seat McGrath-Phillips Arena on campus. The men have long played at Allstate, I think since it opened in the 80s.

Allstate Arena is near nothing. It's been a disaster from the get go.

Pro wrestling, minor league hockey, rodeo, the circus, DePaul basketball and the Sky. Loyola played there for a while before they built their arena.

It will be GREAT when DePaul and the Sky get out of that place and move downtown.

I don't consider 10,000 to be small. I consider 4200 a la DC to be SMALL.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
stever wrote:

2019 for New York for the 20th anniversary of the first all-star game in New York.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: