adamj95

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes! 17-2! Now LA needs to lose 😊

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow what a game!!!!!

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this game demonstrated how good we can maybe be. If we could have more than 3 games in a row with the same rotations. That said, I'm going to go for a walk now. Pretty disappointing to lose with that type of look at the end. Especially when Bill pretty much called that Sugar would have a wide open shot. Executed exactly as called and you rarely if ever get that good a look at the end.

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen's husband is quite good looking...!

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good game. Can't get a better look then that Ms Rodgers, if Zellous is out for a long period of time they gonna have to look for a SF via trade or Free agency. or we gonna see a whole alot of Rebecca Allen.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I think this game demonstrated how good we can maybe be. If we could have more than 3 games in a row with the same rotations. That said, I'm going to go for a walk now. Pretty disappointing to lose with that type of look at the end. Especially when Bill pretty much called that Sugar would have a wide open shot. Executed exactly as called and you rarely if ever get that good a look at the end.

This...when you take points on the spread (my mythical spread was Lynx -10 or Libs covering +10) you take anything even winning outright as gravy...that's the mentality I took with the libs...but they brought intensity. they had their chance...and had another one that was blocked...cant ask for more.

Agree have to make a roster move if Z out any length of time...Zahui likely being the player jettisoned if such a move happens.

What impressed me was moore clearly pivoted when Z got hurt...went 3-6-9...ballgame? no the libs adjusted...to MAYA FREAKING MOORE with the player helping on D injured...BOSS...the heart and magic is BACK...next 3 will see how far...I say nothing less than a sweep then whatever god has in store for the Spark game...need to take this as a step forward because it WAS...will run the loss columns after storm sparks...but things breaking right

and cappie back so I think Chicago coming apart again LOL

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Z was out there at the end of the game with a wrap on her wrist. I'd think if there was a chance it was broken she'd have gone to the hospital. And without her we can get by with Sugar at SF in the next two or three games matchup wise.

After that who knows. The end of season schedule is quite favorable though.

PostPosted: 07/25/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Z was out there at the end of the game with a wrap on her wrist. I'd think if there was a chance it was broken she'd have gone to the hospital. And without her we can get by with Sugar at SF in the next two or three games matchup wise.

After that who knows. The end of season schedule is quite favorable though.

which is a huge difference between this year and prior years where we ran out of gas

PostPosted: 07/25/17 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if Z is out for even a few games, do we no qualify for an injury exemption? Maybe bring back Burdick?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/25/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:
Whalen's husband is quite good looking...!

I saw rather more of him than I wanted to while Shavonte was hunched over in pain on the court and Lobo was rambling on about the goddamn golf cart.

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Zellous is hurt maybe this would be R. Allen's chance to really step up. She had decent offensive numbers tonight in her limited minutes.

Also even though her number weren't great Hartley looks so much better now than she did at the beginning of the season. I like her in the starting line up.

L. Allen is doing really well for a rookie PG who was originally cut she does very nicely as the calming hand on the second unit I just wish she would looked to score just a little more. There was one possession when she had a good look with about 8 seconds left on the shot clock and she passed it up only to end up with the ball again with 2 seconds left on the shot clock and she had to take a harder shot. I get that when you're a rookie and a pass first PG you don't look to take a shot, but you still have to take what the defense is giving you.

Different note the Liberty did look good night but I hope it is not a mirage they have been playing better, but the Liberty this season always seem to play up or down to their opponent. We don't really blow people out that we should and we seem to put up a good fight against the top teams in the league. (We got blown out a couple of times but most of the time we seem to hang or go on a run and stay right there until the end.)

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
if Z is out for even a few games, do we no qualify for an injury exemption? Maybe bring back Burdick?

Zellous has to miss two games before the Liberty can apply, which means after Sunday's Chicago game. Then she has to be out for another three weeks. Assuming Zellous can be examined soon after the application by a WNBA approved doctor, her absence will last at least through the August 20th game against Minnesota. That means Shavonte would have to miss a minimum of nine games.

As far as the game itself goes, it came down to Whalen making an off-balance shot (leaning forward and falling left), Prince missing a free throw, and Rodgers missing a wide-open 3. There's not much you can say. The game was up for grabs and Minnesota executed, we didn't. Nonetheless, it's another positive step forward. That's three straight games where the team played well. Come draft time next year, Liberty fans may even be happy about this loss. Wink

A couple of things need to be cleaned up. First, Sugar has to get her act together. I'm not talking about the missed shots, I'm talking about the crazy missed shots. You know, the ones where she dribbles into the lane and tries to make a circus shot like some kind of drunken Becky Hammon wannabe. Those were killers, as was that strip by Moore when Sugar tried to go one-on-one in the 3rd Quarter. NY had cut the deficit to 1 with a chance to take the lead. Instead, Maya gets the steal, MN scores on the fastbreak, and soon afterward the lead climbs back up to 7 or 8.

The other thing is that the players not named Tina Charles need to come out more aggressively. In the first half, Hartley especially had a number of open looks and driving lanes available. Instead, she held on to the ball and all we saw was dribble, dribble, dribble.

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

L.Allen looked better than Hartley as the PG...but then she usually does.

- Amanda Gorman
lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Is it just me or are the teams on the wrong baskets via their bench?

The visiting team gets to decide which end they would like to start the game on. The Liberty chose to start the game with the basket near their bench and end the game with the basket away from them.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/25/17 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

It's too bad we can't mix Hartley and Allen into one player because then we'd be set. Allen's vision, IQ and ability to get the team into some offense with someone who'll shoot the ball from outside more than once every three games.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
myrtle wrote:

It's too bad we can't mix Hartley and Allen into one player because then we'd be set. Allen's vision, IQ and ability to get the team into some offense with someone who'll shoot the ball from outside more than once every three games.

L. Allen might look better as the PG but IMO Hartley looks like the better basketball player. Lately when Bria's been doing her thing the Liberty seem to be doing better. I agree that I'm more confident with L. Allen handling, but Hartley pushing the tempo and being aggressive on offense seems to open things up for us. Or maybe Bria is just a little flashier and I respond better to that type of play.

If Zellous is out I think there will be more pressure on Hartley to be the play-maker in the starting line up. Unless they go small with Rodgers, Prince and Harltey all in the starting line up.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/26/17 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here is the Liberty record based on which PG starts and which PG plays the most minutes:

Code:

Player   PG Start Record        PG Most Minutes

Hartley         7-3                  7-2
Prince          2-6                  2-7
Boyd            1-1                  N/A
L. Allen        N/A                  1-1

Obviously, Hartley as the PG starter doesn't mean she necessarily runs the offense. Very often it's Zellous who takes over in the front court. Nonetheless, whatever happens in conjunction with Hartley being on the court seems to work best.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I decided to look up Sugar's FG% through her career. I guess we got lucky last season with her shooting 43%. Otherwise this is typical for Sugar. 2011 with Minnesota was her worst season at 31%. 2014 was 35% and 2015 & 2017 she's at 35%. I will say this team needs another shooter. We got lucky last night with Prince having a good performance. But we've had nights this season where both Rodgers & Prince are off. And if we're to be without Z for a few games, that means we're falling back on R. Allen & Hartley for points. Our next three games are crucial. We play Indiana, Chicago & San Antonio. Games we should be able to win even without Zellous. But Chicago's been hot lately, and all three teams can put up a good amount of points. Our defense will be key versus all three. To be able to get to 13-10 and possibly ahead of Washington & Phoenix in the standings will be huge to get to that #4 seed.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
If Zellous is hurt maybe this would be R. Allen's chance to really step up. She had decent offensive numbers tonight in her limited minutes.

Also even though her number weren't great Hartley looks so much better now than she did at the beginning of the season. I like her in the starting line up.

L. Allen is doing really well for a rookie PG who was originally cut she does very nicely as the calming hand on the second unit I just wish she would looked to score just a little more. There was one possession when she had a good look with about 8 seconds left on the shot clock and she passed it up only to end up with the ball again with 2 seconds left on the shot clock and she had to take a harder shot. I get that when you're a rookie and a pass first PG you don't look to take a shot, but you still have to take what the defense is giving you.

Different note the Liberty did look good night but I hope it is not a mirage they have been playing better, but the Liberty this season always seem to play up or down to their opponent. We don't really blow people out that we should and we seem to put up a good fight against the top teams in the league. (We got blown out a couple of times but most of the time we seem to hang or go on a run and stay right there until the end.)

Thats my main issue with her, she's a good passing guard but she's not aggressive enuff. It irks me and i don't think she will ever be but like you said she's a rookie so we'll see

I really liked Sugar coming off the bench cuz it give us instant offense and energy, with Z possibly out all of our scoring threats will be in the starting lineup which is not good cuz our bench will be weaken

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Sugar is a better shooter than she's shown. She has the form and release. And hits nearly everything in warmups, which Piph and Z don't. I think it's in her head right now. Shooting 150 to 200 threes, you don't just get lucky. One thing I can do on a court is shoot. Trust me. Sugar can shoot. Whatever the issue is, it's to me more mental than physical.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way the Liberty offense is structured right now, what they need to replace Zellous is someone who can create off the dribble. Players like that don't tend to remain unemployed very long. So, unless there is someone floating around overseas who is not already the property of another team, I can't think of anybody available. Also, the priority for Laimbeer is always defense. It's unlikely that any player who wasn't already in camp with this team will fit in quickly. So, I think it comes down to people who have been with the Liberty before -- in all likelihood Burdick. If they want a shooter, then maybe Gemelos. The person with the most ability to create off the dribble is probably Barbee. However, I consider the latter two to be long shots -- very long shots. Anyway, whoever comes in is unlikely to see much playing time. Based on what we saw yesterday, Laimbeer is likely to go small with Prince or Rodgers playing SF. Allen will continue to backup, and maybe he uses Raincock if he wants to go big.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
myrtle wrote:

L. Allen might look better as the PG but IMO Hartley looks like the better basketball player. Lately when Bria's been doing her thing the Liberty seem to be doing better. I agree that I'm more confident with L. Allen handling, but Hartley pushing the tempo and being aggressive on offense seems to open things up for us. Or maybe Bria is just a little flashier and I respond better to that type of play.

If Zellous is out I think there will be more pressure on Hartley to be the play-maker in the starting line up. Unless they go small with Rodgers, Prince and Harltey all in the starting line up.

I agree. The reason why Hartley is better is because she has some shooting range and is a threat to score. Teams guard her at the arc. Teams don't even guard LA at the foul line.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The way the Liberty offense is structured right now, what they need to replace Zellous is someone who can create off the dribble. Players like that don't tend to remain unemployed very long. So, unless there is someone floating around overseas who is not already the property of another team, I can't think of anybody available. Also, the priority for Laimbeer is always defense. It's unlikely that any player who wasn't already in camp with this team will fit in quickly. So, I think it comes down to people who have been with the Liberty before -- in all likelihood Burdick. If they want a shooter, then maybe Gemelos. The person with the most ability to create off the dribble is probably Barbee. However, I consider the latter two to be long shots -- very long shots. Anyway, whoever comes in is unlikely to see much playing time. Based on what we saw yesterday, Laimbeer is likely to go small with Prince or Rodgers playing SF. Allen will continue to backup, and maybe he uses Raincock if he wants to go big.

You pretty much hit on it. Z is not replaceable at this time of the year even via trade. The stuff she does well can't be replaced and whoever you bring in is going to take time (which we don't have the luxury of) to integrate. And our main trade chip is a first rounder that there'd be a reluctance to deal. Forget about replacing her. Just gotta hope it's not that serious. Thankfully it's not her shooting hand.

PostPosted: 07/26/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
One thing I can do on a court is shoot.

So, why don't you become a volunteer shooting coach? I remember Myrtle posting something similar too -- that shooting always came easily to her. You guys should both sign-up because whatever T-Spoon is doing isn't working right now.

How's your crossover dribble?

PostPosted: 07/26/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An all guard line-up of Hartley-Prince-Rodgers scares me. I'd much rather see R. Allen & Raincock split the time. Hopefully R. Allen is ready to step up big time for New York.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: