RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wonder Woman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/07/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
A bisexual's "love of their life" can be someone of the opposite gender. Razz

I know not everyone does (see: Star Wars fans), but I consider a writer's comments about a character canon.

I also think things are written very subtle when it comes to gay characters. For instance, I knew while reading the Harry Potter series, that Dumbledore was gay. But many were shocked by it, and JK Rowling received criticism for not being more obvious about it. However, some where like me, and got it right away. Wonder Woman is probably similar.

Nope. To me, Wonder Woman was always straight. She had too many male interests to say otherwise. However, since all of the DC and Marvel characters have been re-booted several times over, character interests have varied in the past 20 years. But if one doesn't mind, I will always consider Wonder Woman straight.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
norwester

PostPosted: 07/11/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I know not everyone does (see: Star Wars fans), but I consider a writer's comments about a character canon.

I also think things are written very subtle when it comes to gay characters. For instance, I knew while reading the Harry Potter series, that Dumbledore was gay. But many were shocked by it, and JK Rowling received criticism for not being more obvious about it. However, some where like me, and got it right away. Wonder Woman is probably similar.

Nope. To me, Wonder Woman was always straight. She had too many male interests to say otherwise. However, since all of the DC and Marvel characters have been re-booted several times over, character interests have varied in the past 20 years. But if one doesn't mind, I will always consider Wonder Woman straight.

I started out typing, "If you don't mind being wrong, that's fine. " But I had a change of heart half-way through.

It's not ok to consider bisexuality not a thing. And when it's canon that she is bisexual (including the comics, through multiple reboots, though I get that it's hard to grasp when you're assuming straight), it's not ok to insist that she's straight.

Yeah, yeah, she's a fictional character. Still. The stories we tell matter, because they inform how we interact with the world. It's phobic to insist that she is heterosexual, and one should not expect to express those opinions and not be called out.

PostPosted: 07/11/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I started out typing, "If you don't mind being wrong, that's fine. " But I had a change of heart half-way through.

It's not ok to consider bisexuality not a thing. And when it's canon that she is bisexual (including the comics, through multiple reboots, though I get that it's hard to grasp when you're assuming straight), it's not ok to insist that she's straight.

Yeah, yeah, she's a fictional character. Still. The stories we tell matter, because they inform how we interact with the world. It's phobic to insist that she is heterosexual, and one should not expect to express those opinions and not be called out.

I haven't read an issue of Wonder Woman in over 30+ years. Before then, I only saw her with male interests, I never saw her with a female interest, I never read where she discussed her sexuality. So for me to publically state she would be anything else but straight would have been ignorant of me. But per your comment, I stand corrected as I searched online for relevant info, and I have read the article of her writer publically stating in the fall of 2016 that she is bisexual. Sorry, if this is just recent news to me, I did not mean to offend anyone. I don't keep up with comics anymore, they've been rebooted way too much for my tastes, and I'm more of a Storm and She-Hulk (forgot Supergirl) comic guy anyway. As for your phobic comment, I happen to be a member of our community's LGBTQ Alliance, so that I can show my support, as well as educate myself further on the issues that affect all of us today. Also, it is apparent that you have not read the book I wrote, Janie and the Basketball. Though I don't specifically say, I allow my readers to decide if one of my main female characters is in a relationship with her female friend or not. Fortunately with the Baby Ballers, I don't have a problem as babies are neutral. Sorry, but there's no phobia here. Hope that clears things up for you.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
norwester

PostPosted: 07/13/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
norwester wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I haven't read an issue of Wonder Woman in over 30+ years. Before then, I only saw her with male interests, I never saw her with a female interest, I never read where she discussed her sexuality. So for me to publically state she would be anything else but straight would have been ignorant of me. But per your comment, I stand corrected as I searched online for relevant info, and I have read the article of her writer publically stating in the fall of 2016 that she is bisexual. Sorry, if this is just recent news to me, I did not mean to offend anyone. I don't keep up with comics anymore, they've been rebooted way too much for my tastes, and I'm more of a Storm and She-Hulk (forgot Supergirl) comic guy anyway. As for your phobic comment, I happen to be a member of our community's LGBTQ Alliance, so that I can show my support, as well as educate myself further on the issues that affect all of us today. Also, it is apparent that you have not read the book I wrote, Janie and the Basketball. Though I don't specifically say, I allow my readers to decide if one of my main female characters is in a relationship with her female friend or not. Fortunately with the Baby Ballers, I don't have a problem as babies are neutral. Sorry, but there's no phobia here. Hope that clears things up for you.

Haha. It's all good. Thanks for following up. Cool

PostPosted: 07/22/17 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was amazing, what I loved is you can tell it was directed by a woman, no cleavage,no gratuitous sex, didn't need it. I can't wait for the next movie.

PostPosted: 07/22/17 1:30 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:
norwester wrote:
Saw it this weekend. Enjoyed it. (I typically enjoy the modern superhero movie, however). Enjoyed the upbeat tone. Gal Gadot made a fantastic Wonder Woman, in my opinion, and really carried the trifecta of dramatic moments, action moments, and comedic moments well.

There's a lot being made of "female superhero" and "female director". Rightfully so, as far as the dearth of both (looking at you, Marvel). It's a rather large burden for a singular movie to have to stand for "all women", but I feel this one succeeds. I also think as far as box office receipts it'll have more legs than some of the more recent comic book offerings, buoyed by positive reviews and a somewhat atypical audience (i.e. women make up over 50% of the audience, when they usually hover around a 40% share for this type).

I also thought the WWI setting was an interesting one. I feel like we've seen a lot more of WWII in media over the years, so much that a lot of WWI is still murky to me (the average American with no particular education in history), which made it a good war to underpin the movie's themes of the duality of human nature, and choosing to love and fight for humanity nonetheless.

Anyway, anyone else see it this weekend?

We really loved it, I wish they had gotten an Indigenous actress, but Gal made a good Wonder Woman. Now that they had Steve as her love interest over with I hope they get her a female love interest, Tinsel Korey would be a good one.

No.

I agree. While I like the idea of LGBT superheroes, the last thing we need is to keep pushing the idea that athletic, muscular women are lesbians. I'd rather they subvert tropes than feed them.

Yes, they have already announced she is, and growing up with only women she's already had female lovers. She pretty much said so in the movie when she said they don't need men from or pleasure. The comic writer of WW already said she as queer.

PostPosted: 07/22/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Wonder Woman sequel has been officially announced. It will take place in America, which is the right thing for truth, justice and the American way.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/07/22/wonder-woman-sequel-announced/

I don't see how you people can be arguing about Wonder Woman's sexuality. She's not an Amazon or even a human. The romantic scene with Steve Trevor in the movie was therefore icky, perverse and inappropriate, akin to sex with an alien or robot. ((shudder))

The movie motivated me to watch the two previous movies in the DC Universe reboot, Man of Steel and Superman vs. Batman. They both had even more tedious CGI than Wonder Woman.

MOS had a similar one track plot -- kill one bad guy -- but the Superman character was non-canonical and sort of boring. Plus, there was ick with a very non-canonical Lois Lane.

S vs. B had the makings of a complex plot, but it ended up being unintelligible. I never understood why either wanted to kill the other, or why they would become best friends in one second upon realizing both their mothers had the same name.

Wonder Woman was a better movie than both of them.
Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/22/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A Wonder Woman sequel has been officially announced. It will take place in America, which is the right thing for truth, justice and the American way.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/07/22/wonder-woman-sequel-announced/

I don't see how you people can be arguing about Wonder Woman's sexuality. She's not an Amazon or even a human. The romantic scene with Steve Trevor in the movie was therefore icky, perverse and inappropriate, akin to sex with an alien or robot. ((shudder))

The movie motivated me to watch the two previous movies in the DC Universe reboot, Man of Steel and Superman vs. Batman. They both had even more tedious CGI than Wonder Woman.

MOS had a similar one track plot -- kill one bad guy -- but the Superman character was non-canonical and sort of boring. Plus, there was ick with a very non-canonical Lois Lane.

S vs. B had the makings of a complex plot, but it ended up being unintelligible. I never understood why either wanted to kill the other, or why they would become best friends in one second upon realizing both their mothers had the same name.

Wonder Woman was a better movie than both of them.

Even though Zach Snyder says it wasn't based on any source material, the better read is Frank Miller's Dark Knight 4-part trilogy. It has some of the same elements as S vs B, but overall, the books had a much better storyline. The movie is just one long teaser for Justice League, which looks like it will be a better film. (The comic is the reason why I did not spend money and see S vs B.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/10/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funded by the Koch Bros

Slate:

"The Hollywood Reporter published a piece Wednesday morning describing Charles and David Koch’s “significant stake” worth “tens of millions of dollars” in RatPac-Dune Entertainment, which invested $450 million in 2013 to cover Warner Bros.’ entire slate of up to 75 movies over four years. That includes the “masterpiece of subversive feminism” that argues, according to the Washington Post’s Alyssa Rosenberg, that a world without misogyny “would be liberating and wonderful for men.” Post-Wonder Woman, misogyny is still around, but the success of the film has no doubt been liberating and wonderful for the men who funded it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: