RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 07/08/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun seem to have the advantage over Washington & New York. If they can get past Phoenix, I can see the nabbing that #3 seed. Anyone see that earlier in the season?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/08/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
This has nothing to do with the Sun team itself, but rather, their cheerleading squad! Cool

A couple of weeks ago, while watching on my DVR the Seattle Storm @ CT Sun game on ESPN2, I had noticed something missing during the telecast: the Sun's Solar Power Dance Team!

In previous games --- and I think it has been a couple of years since the Sun last hosted a nationally-televised game before then --- I would see the Solar Power dancers with their pom-poms standing by the large exit, behind the visiting team's bench. If the Sun scored, they would jump and wave their pom-poms.

But in last week's Storm/Sun game, I didn't see them at all. So, are they still around this season? Or did they change their uniforms or routines?

At one of the corners of the court, just above the lower bowl seating, they made a little tiny stage with Solar Power lite up in lights behind it, with a DJ there who spins tunes during time outs, and in front of the lit up Solar Power backdrop, the Solar Power dancers dance around and have their Pom poms on the stage. They come down off the stage to interact with the crowd too but sans the Pom Pom's.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/08/17 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The Sun seem to have the advantage over Washington & New York. If they can get past Phoenix, I can see the nabbing that #3 seed. Anyone see that earlier in the season?

Nope, I didn't see that happening at the beginning of this season. It wasn't until next season that I thought I'd see them close to the top 3. I see them as one of the 3 top teams next season.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/08/17 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I was one of the few who saw them contending for the playoffs, but top 4 - no, did not see that coming. This is a great season for the Sun.

~rAf
bkmgr

PostPosted: 07/09/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Solar Power Dance team used to stay in the tunnel in between performances, but the Sun added a DJ booth at the top of section 27, and the team spends time dancing there during play. It's up higher so you can't see them in the background during play but more of the arena crowd can see them. I think they still use pom poms.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/10/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

hell no. Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/11/17 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
toad455 wrote:

hell no. Very Happy

And who'd a thunk that Cth's favorite PG - Jasmine Thomas - has a shot at making All*Star? He's been trying to replace her since she landed on the Sun.

~rAf
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/11/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
toad455 wrote:

hell no. Very Happy

And who'd a thunk that Cth's favorite PG - Jasmine Thomas - has a shot at making All*Star? He's been trying to replace her since she landed on the Sun.

Amen. Now that last year's improvement seems to have been legit, maybe they can get something decent for her. Cool

PostPosted: 07/21/17 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First-time All-Star Jasmine Thomas hitting her stride

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20170720/first-time-all-star-jasmine-thomas-hitting-her-stride-with-connecticut-sun

Quote:
on the night of the 2015 WNBA Draft came one rather lopsided deal as Thomas was traded in exchange for the draft rights to second-round pick Brittany Hrynko. Hrynko was cut after two days of training camp in 2015 while Thomas has started in all 88 games she has played for Connecticut.

Mad

PostPosted: 07/21/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
First-time All-Star Jasmine Thomas hitting her stride

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20170720/first-time-all-star-jasmine-thomas-hitting-her-stride-with-connecticut-sun

Quote:
on the night of the 2015 WNBA Draft came one rather lopsided deal as Thomas was traded in exchange for the draft rights to second-round pick Brittany Hrynko. Hrynko was cut after two days of training camp in 2015 while Thomas has started in all 88 games she has played for Connecticut.

Mad

Hair today, gone tomorrow ...

PostPosted: 07/21/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah - the Thomas giveaway probably set the Dream back a year or more and we ended up in the lottery that season as I recall. At the time it seemed like maybe it was addition by subtraction - the idea being to turn the PG spot over to Shoni full time. Nobody thought to check whether Shoni was going to show up ready to play. I also looked like the team cut Wheeler once it seemed Shoni was returning to form. Another blunder.

Sometimes addition by subtraction is just subtraction. In the end - it all worked out. We got Williams and Clarendon out of it.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/21/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Sometimes addition by subtraction is just subtraction. In the end - it all worked out. We got Williams and Clarendon out of it.

I like Williams, but we could have stayed at #4 and taken Jonquel Jones

PostPosted: 07/21/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True - or we could have taken Banham or Powers. Other teams had doubts about Jones - Miller passed on her with the 4 pick and even Agler traded her away so I guess she wasn't a sure thing in everybody's mind. Just last year at this time Williams was looking like a better choice. I do admit I was ticked when we traded the 4.

Come to think of it - Jones should have been drafted No. 2 so we should have never been able to get her anyway.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/21/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason Miller got panned so much his rookie season was he was getting rid of good players and collecting a bunch of rookies. He had Bone and Ogwumike as the starting posts and Jones was never meant to be anything more than a backup. So Bone has attitude issues (she reminds me a lot of Anosike) and Ogwumike gets hurt, allowing JJones to step up if she had it in her. You can see it now, but what from her college days at GW would make you think she's a better player than Elizabeth Williams. If you did see something so great, I'm sure you would have been talking her up for ATL, and I don't remember that. It's that hindsight thing people love to do here.

If I can say something good about Miller, he seems to delegate well, and it looks like he goes with players strengths instead of trying to make them into something they're not, like say a Vickie Johnson. I'd say Miller has been more lucky than good up to this point, but we'll see how things go in the long run.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 07/21/17 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 07/21/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was not sold on Jones in college. OTOH, Elizabeth Williams hadn't looked like much in her one WNBA season and there were persistent rumors she would quit playing to go to medical school. Trading a lottery pick for her was risky.

PostPosted: 07/21/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think we can complain too much about a deal that turned well just because a better one might have been made. We did get an All Star center, just not the best one.

Based on Shades theory of the space time continuum Seattle should have picked Williams instead of KML and would probably have never given her to us.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The reason Miller got panned so much his rookie season was he was getting rid of good players and collecting a bunch of rookies. He had Bone and Ogwumike as the starting posts and Jones was never meant to be anything more than a backup. So Bone has attitude issues (she reminds me a lot of Anosike) and Ogwumike gets hurt, allowing JJones to step up if she had it in her. You can see it now, but what from her college days at GW would make you think she's a better player than Elizabeth Williams. If you did see something so great, I'm sure you would have been talking her up for ATL, and I don't remember that. It's that hindsight thing people love to do here.

If I can say something good about Miller, he seems to delegate well, and it looks like he goes with players strengths instead of trying to make them into something they're not, like say a Vickie Johnson. I'd say Miller has been more lucky than good up to this point, but we'll see how things go in the long run.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

tfan

PostPosted: 07/21/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Borders with the injured Morgan Tuck and Chiney Ogwumike at the June 26 2017 NBA awards in New York City.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/21/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, height police. I'm saying Border is only 5'8". She claims to be 5'10". Is she really tall enough to be WNBA Prez?

tfan

PostPosted: 07/21/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Ok, height police. I'm saying Border is only 5'8". She claims to be 5'10". Is she really tall enough to be WNBA Prez?

No, but that is why Laurel Richie:

was bounced by the 6'3" Adam Silver

after he raised the minimum to 5'8" from the 4'8" that was set by his predecessor David Stern:

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/27/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howard Medgal podcast with Sun VP Amber Cox

Discussing her time in Phoenix and what her game plan is in Connecticut.

https://summitthoops.com/2017/07/27/podcast-connecticut-sun-vice-president-amber-cox/

tfan

PostPosted: 08/04/17 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dEybEg4x8-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/09/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this team makes me (wings/sparks fan) very nervous.... late in the season and they are still firing on all cylinders.. Exclamation

scrappy

PostPosted: 08/10/17 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

my only question here about the sun is...

is curt miller the shortest one of the whole team?

PostPosted: 08/10/17 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
this team makes me (wings/sparks fan) very nervous.... late in the season and they are still firing on all cylinders.. Exclamation

They're not firing on all cylinders anymore. They were the best 3pt shooting team in the league by a large margin. But the last few games, they're 3pt shooting as been atrocious. Stricklen is on a 6 or 7 game shooting slump now and can't hit anything.

I'm doubting they beat the Wings in a couple days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: