35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Lynx
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 14

zune69

PostPosted: 07/20/17 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact remains,dallas is being led by one of the worst head coaches in the wnba.Coach Williams' non disciplinarian style is a detrimental to the dallas franchise,and wing players.An offensive system based on players being aggressive has it's limits(Same with Atlanta and M.Cooper)

1.Good teams/players know how to play defense without fouling.
2.You're not gonna get as many foul calls on the road.
3.Undisciplined Players are more susceptible to taking low quality shots.
4.Officials allow more contact during the playoffs.

As others have pointed out,the wings are easy to defend,lack ball movement,run predictable plays out of time outs,and lack defensive principles.Coach Williams gives his players too much freedom to do as they please.Dallas would have the 2nd worst record in the league if it wasn't for Catchings retiring,McCoughtry sitting out,EDD forcing a trade,and Seattle playing inconsistent basketbball.Yeah,yeah,I know,Paris missed most of the season,and Powers is inactive.those are just more excuses.Even with a high 1st rd pick,and upgrade at center(Cambage),Unless coach Williams changes his offensive/defensive approach,dallas will continue to underperform.

Dallas rankings:
offense:
Fg%-last
3ptfg%-2nd to last
Asst-2nd to last

Defense:
Fg%-2nd to last
Pts-last
Asst-last

Shades wrote:
Not to mention they started winning with Plaisance as a starting center. Got out of a losing rut.

I wouldn't put too much stock in dallas winning 5 of 6....2 of the 5 came against a SA team who doesn't know how to close out basketball games.The wings were also getting thoroughly outplayed by washington before the mystics had one of their typical meltdowns.Dallas also lost 6 of the previous 7 games with Plaisance starting at center.

Last edited by zune69 on 07/20/17 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 07/20/17 5:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Michael Cooper, who won two championships (but like Reeve and Agler etc., with multiple stars) has gone 51-51 in the three years since he took over for Wiliiams.

In all fairneess to Cooper, he won more games in his first with atlanta(19) than Fred won in his last(17).

In 2013, Fred Williams' only full year with Atlanta, Sancho Lyttle played six games and was lost for the season. She played every game in 2014 for Cooper. In her 2013 sophomore season, Tiffany Hayes missed 11 games. She played all 34 games in 2014 for Cooper.

zune69

PostPosted: 07/20/17 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
zune69 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Michael Cooper, who won two championships (but like Reeve and Agler etc., with multiple stars) has gone 51-51 in the three years since he took over for Wiliiams.

In all fairneess to Cooper, he won more games in his first with atlanta(19) than Fred won in his last(17).

Let's also be fair to Fred Williams. In 2013, his only full year with Atlanta, Sancho Lyttle played six games and was lost for the season. She played every game in 2014 for Cooper. In her 2013 sophomore season, Tiffany Hayes missed 11 games. She played all 34 games in 2014 for Cooper.

Fair enough,I didn't even look at the 2013 atlanta roster.That was stupid on my part.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/20/17 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
zune69 wrote:
tfan wrote:

In 2013, Fred Williams' only full year with Atlanta, Sancho Lyttle played six games and was lost for the season. She played every game in 2014 for Cooper. In her 2013 sophomore season, Tiffany Hayes missed 11 games. She played all 34 games in 2014 for Cooper.

OTOH, Atlanta gave away Alex Bentley after the 2013 season and Armintie Herrington, the heart and soul of the Dream's finals teams, left for LA.

Michael Cooper does some things I disagree with, but he never pisses me off the way Fred did.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper kinda reminds me of Andy Reid, in that there are elements of the head coaching job where he clearly seems to get results, and you can't really argue with it. But there are other parts of it where you feel like an 8-year old who's played a few games of Madden/2K would have a stronger grasp of what they're doing.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Cooper kinda reminds me of Andy Reid, in that there are elements of the head coaching job where he clearly seems to get results, and you can't really argue with it. But there are other parts of it where you feel like an 8-year old who's played a few games of Madden/2K would have a stronger grasp of what they're doing.

X_________

Richyyy on a roll ...

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fans focus too much on the mechanical game day items (timeouts, substitutions, etc.) when it comes to coaches. That's the Madden stuff. Much of what coaches do happens off-stage. It's managing personalities and getting the players to work together and the like. Things you can't learn from a video game.

Of course even on game day I prefer Cooper to Williams. For example, Cooper's timeout use (or lack thereof) continues to baffle me. Williams' timeout use when he was Dream coach actively pissed me off.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Fans focus too much on the mechanical game day items (timeouts, substitutions, etc.) when it comes to coaches. That's the Madden stuff. Much of what coaches do happens off-stage. It's managing personalities and getting the players to work together and the like. Things you can't learn from a video game.

Absolutely true. True to the extent that having the same person do both jobs doesn't necessarily make that much sense. Having a Head of Coaching and a Game Manager might make a lot of sense for some teams.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't think of another coach who has done more in building the roster in the past two seasons (putting aside teams who gained players from fortuitous circumstances - e.g. Mystics) than Cooper. We've added Williams, Clarendon, Holmes and Sykes since Cooper became de-facto GM. The owners tried firing their way to the top and it didn't work, so I hope they stick with Cooper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: