42%  [ 3 ]
Mercury
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The only thing Taurasi got called for today beyond standard personal fouls was a flagrant for flailing her hand/arm into an opponent's face after releasing her shot. They've been calling that for two or three years against everyone in an effort to get rid of that action. It was called against Brunson in the last Mercury game (I remember because Ann Meyers ludicrously suggested it could've been a Flagrant 2). It's basically a stock call.

I'm incredibly tired of the volume of video reviews we've been subjected to this season (and the dumbass rule changes that have led to many of them), but generally I think the refs get too much stick around here. Home town bias is often at the root of most complaints, as is not knowing the rules or how the officials are expected to implement them.

We could replace all the WNBA refs with the pool of NBA refs tomorrow, and everyone would still bitch and moan about them constantly.

Couldn't agree more ...

An official makes a horrible call, and it's on the game thread. A player makes a completely horrible play, and generally no comment.

If there were equal number of comments for dumb plays as for dumb calls, the threads would be three times as long. At least.

I do hate the video reviews, but I don't know the answer. The goal is to get it right, and the risk of shortening reviews, or eliminating them, is simply more bad calls. And aside from the clear path (just forget about it), many are about player safety, and it's pretty hard to argue with those.

Bottom line, though, is that the nature of basketball is going to lead to numerous missed calls, at every level of play. (Check out a high school game some time ...) At some point, fans can't deal with the bad calls any more, and if so, they're probably right to move on because there is no way to improve officiating in the short run. (And the long-term solutions have no support ...)

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know the women's game is very hard to officiate as the proximity of the players is generally closer than on the men's side. Thus there's a lot of contact that has to be separated into foul and non-foul categories. For me personally, I think there's been better standardization and overall consistency of the calls, particularly on penetrations to the rim. Not sure if that's been a point of emphasis for the WNBA, but I've been more pleased with it this year than in years past.

PostPosted: 07/20/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why clear path is so hard to get. I get them right almost every time and once the review is over, the official confirm my call.

Got to give the Fever credit on this win. Not the best team talent wise but they get every win they can. I thought they should tank, but they don't give up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: