40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Liberty
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Live Access is called League Pass now, and League Pass will block live transmission of any game broadcasted by ABC, ESPN(2) OR the local regional broadcaster, whether it's a home game or not. But, it is available for immediate archive at the game's ending.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

So bizarre. I believe it's a bad move to black out home games. Road games? What possible logic can there be in blocking out a road game? Ridiculous and rightly infuriating for any fans experiencing this.

Home games are blacked out to get people to buy tickets. Road games are not blacked out, but in some cases not shown on Live Access to get people to watch the local (or national in the case of ESPN) telecast of the game.

Did you read my posts? Contrary to your assertion, ROAD Mystics games are blacked out on the NBA Network on TV. No one has been talking about Live Access. That's another (ridiculous) issue but not the one being discussed.

It's the same thing, whether Live Access (which shows all the non-ESPN games) or NBA-TV (which shows some minority of the non-ESPN games). A secondary tier broadcast that would take viewers away from the local broadcaster that is trying to make money showing the games.

It's not remotely the same thing. I can't imagine what makes you think it is. A national NBATV telecast is equivalent to an ESPN telecast, not to a league pass game.

Besides there is no "local broadcaster" showing the game unless you're counting Leonsis's streaming service.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/17/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

It's not remotely the same thing. I can't imagine what makes you think it is. A national NBATV telecast is equivalent to an ESPN telecast, not to a league pass game.

From a local broadcasters standpoint, all three [ESPN, NBA-TV, League Pass] are the same. They can take viewers away from their broadcast by providing an alternative means to watch. The WNBA team and the local broadcaster can negotiate a deal that allows viewership in alternative ways, but the WNBA team will have to charge the TV station less for the less valuable rights. In the case of ESPN, I believe their contract would not allow a local broadcast, since ESPN doesn't want an alternative way to watch the game they are broadcasting, just as the local station doesn't want it.

Quote:

Besides there is no "local broadcaster" showing the game unless you're counting Leonsis's streaming service.

Yes, in DC I'm counting that. While streaming, it's management still has the goal of maximizing viewership like a local station, and to do that they have to dis-allow alternative broadcasts. But since they have the same owner, that owner could decide to allow local TV broadcasts and get a compensating benefit from the team selling the broadcast rights and from a broadcast alternative providing more fan interest. NBA-TV may not involve broadcast rights, but could potentially help boost fan interest to compensate for a loss of viewers on the streaming service.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I don't agree with your analysis or equivalents except on the most theoretical level. In the real world they're not remotely similar.

And even if they were equivalent, the WNBA should reject the notion of blackouts for national NBA TV broadcasts, just as they do for ESPN, which is what I said in my very first post on the subject.

They also should have set a minimum arena size and told Leonsis he couldn't sell out WNBA fans to get government subsidies for his NBA practice facility too.

I have no sympathy for WNBA owners if they let some owners drive away fans like what they are doing multiple ways in Washington.

vallee

PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We took two buses of Mystics fans up to MSG yesterday. I think we were too distracted by having more food options than hotdogs, pizza, and chicken finders, to post to the board during the game.
It was painful to watch the defeat, but at least we could watch it, unlike when we are blacked out by Monumental Sports.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds like Mystics fans are getting screwed. But can someone explain what the means is as a local viewer to view a Mystics road game? Do you have to subscribe to a higher cable package and/or streaming service? Just for clarification purposes because the lack of logic is so confusing I'm looking for further explanation.

In NY all the games are on MSG. Our good fortune doesn't stop people from complaining incessantly on FB if a game is on ESPN 3 instead of TV. They don't know how good they have it.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Art, is this true of all Mystics home games not on ESPN? Meaning none are televised just on the cable package? Whether it's all or sone games that's pretty low to require a subscription to watch games when the building doesn't even draw. The Libs televise all their home games.

I don't like it but I understand not televising home games to try to get people to attend the game. Pro sports have been doing that like forever.

But to black out away games? What the hell is the point of that?

No, Ted, I'm not signing up for your lame Monumental network.

Note that they don't pull this crap for Wizards or Caps games, or even for his two local arena football teams. Just for the Mystics. Shame on the WNBA for allowing games being televised nationally on the NBA Network to be blacked out. ESPECIALLY road games. Hey Borders, don't whine to me about lack of fan interest and attendance when you allow your owners to pull this shit. You want to minimize interest? You're succeeding.

So if I'm understanding correctly, games should not be blacked out, IMO based on a local fan's unwillingness to pony up for a local service outside of a basic cable package. And certainly the Mystics of all organizations have not earned the right to pull this.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vallee wrote:
We took two buses of Mystics fans up to MSG yesterday. I think we were too distracted by having more food options than hotdogs, pizza, and chicken finders, to post to the board during the game.
It was painful to watch the defeat, but at least we could watch it, unlike when we are blacked out by Monumental Sports.

When intros were done, I could hear you guys cheering your players. Looked up to see where it was coming from and noticed your red behind their bench. Hope you enjoyed the MSG experience.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Art, is this true of all Mystics home games not on ESPN? Meaning none are televised just on the cable package? Whether it's all or sone games that's pretty low to require a subscription to watch games when the building doesn't even draw. The Libs televise all their home games.

I don't like it but I understand not televising home games to try to get people to attend the game. Pro sports have been doing that like forever.

Note that they don't pull this crap for Wizards or Caps games, or even for his two local arena football teams. Just for the Mystics. Shame on the WNBA for allowing games being televised nationally on the NBA Network to be blacked out. ESPECIALLY road games. Hey Borders, don't whine to me about lack of fan interest and attendance when you allow your owners to pull this shit. You want to minimize interest? You're succeeding.

So if I'm understanding correctly, games should not be blacked out, IMO based on a local fan's unwillingness to pony up for a local service outside of a basic cable package. And certainly the Mystics of all organizations have not earned the right to pull this.

We're not talking "basic cable" here. I pay for nearly every premium service on DirecTV including all the regional sports networks. If it was on any Satellite or cable network, I'd get it. And yeah, I also have a Roku and a Fire Stick and a dedicated HTPC. I'd be happy to have them on ESPN3. But yeah, I do object to having to also pay for some half assed streaming service in addition to my $200+/month satellite bill because some asshole won't allow the team to be on cable or satellite TV at any tier.

Really, I'm not paying for lousy productions of Mystics and arena football games on Leonsis Streaming TV. He can kiss my ass.

Notably Caps games are virtually all on TV, Wizards games are virtually all on TV, even many of his Washington and Baltimore Arena Football games are on TV. As with his stupid mini-arena, it's only Mystics fans who get screwed again. Tell me how that helps the Mystics or the WNBA to block the Mystics from ever being on TV in the Mystics home region. How many people do you think are paying for Monumental streaming service in order to see the Mystics? A dozen? Way to build a fanbase.

Well, this way he won't have to worry about fitting everyone into the Mystics new 4000 seat closet. There will probably be plenty of empty seats available. The fanbase continues to shrink.

Guess I'll watch baseball during the summer. The Nats have terrific attendance and all their games are on TV. And I'll watch the Storm, Stars, Fever and Liberty on TV and League Pass.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/17/17 8:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vallee wrote:

Saw all y'all over at your end of the court. Y'all travel well and mostly behave. Have to salute that. (Also, I still get a kick out of the "If I'm Lost, Please Return Me to Verizon Center" shirts.)

(now with spelling variations)
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/18/17 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

art, look for a free VPN service. Then it looks like you're in Timbuctu or wherever you want to be and voila, you won't be blacked out.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/18/17 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

We're not talking "basic cable" here. I pay for nearly every premium service on DirecTV including all the regional sports networks. If it was on any Satellite or cable network, I'd get it. And yeah, I also have a Roku and a Fire Stick and a dedicated HTPC. I'd be happy to have them on ESPN3. But yeah, I do object to having to also pay for some half assed streaming service in addition to my $200+/month satellite bill because some asshole won't allow the team to be on cable or satellite TV at any tier.

Really, I'm not paying for lousy productions of Mystics and arena football games on Leonsis Streaming TV. He can kiss my ass.

Notably Caps games are virtually all on TV, Wizards games are virtually all on TV, even many of his Washington and Baltimore Arena Football games are on TV. As with his stupid mini-arena, it's only Mystics fans who get screwed again. Tell me how that helps the Mystics or the WNBA to block the Mystics from ever being on TV in the Mystics home region. How many people do you think are paying for Monumental streaming service in order to see the Mystics? A dozen? Way to build a fanbase.

Well, this way he won't have to worry about fitting everyone into the Mystics new 4000 seat closet. There will probably be plenty of empty seats available. The fanbase continues to shrink.

Guess I'll watch baseball during the summer. The Nats have terrific attendance and all their games are on TV. And I'll watch the Storm, Stars, Fever and Liberty on TV and League Pass.

I agree with you. Really shortsighted way of doing business. Especially now that you have Delle Donne. Every effort should be made to market her and what moving forward will likely be an entertaining team.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 5:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
I haven't seen the game but looking at the minutes Hartley and L. Allen played 40 minutes combined and Rodgers and Prince played 40 minutes combine, does that mean that Rodgers and Prince only played the SG spot and weren't on the floor together at all? and that L. Allen and a combo of Harley/Zellous (Zellous and Hartley started and Zellous had more assists) played 40 minutes at the PG spot? Granted it was against an injury riddled Washington team, but if that is true, it seems to have worked, it has been a long time since NY scored 88 points against anyone. Does this look like the new system going forward?

You would be correct. And it would seem this will be the system quite a bit though it will be interesting to see what happens late in a close game down the stretch.

that's why I feel they may add a PG to roll 3 deep there...of course you need to cut someone to add someone...and I'd only do it for someone established...Zahui is likely the player to go...shes stuck behind Tina and Raincock has shown she can fill those 5 rest minutes for Charles as well as anyone can ask.

I keep getting 2nd rounder for Colson stuck in my head...any other backup PGs you'd think would be attainable without going above zahui or our 2nd rounder?

Wet Pipe Dream would be bringing back FLB which is perfect for the speed lineup and adds shooting depth outside...but given how bill mocked her when she was here last that aint never happening ever.

Remember you can NOT activitate Shoni off the full season suspended list (not like i'd wanna do that anyway...seen that movie...Haaattteed Ittt)

PostPosted: 07/18/17 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
vallee wrote:

When intros were done, I could hear you guys cheering your players. Looked up to see where it was coming from and noticed your red behind their bench. Hope you enjoyed the MSG experience.

Umm crap...if bill could hear them over us that means we need to do a better job...then again that 1st quarter helped...NYC fans are loud but you do need to give em something to cheer for...we know basketball...cant fake it...do well we'll get behind you...do less well we'll be paitent and quiet and waiting (and praying) for things to pick up...show up not giving a damn, we'll explain that it's not acceptable in no uncertain terms Wink (Luckly that hasn't happened since 2014 Smile )

PostPosted: 07/18/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I agree with you. Really shortsighted way of doing business. Especially now that you have Delle Donne. Every effort should be made to market her and what moving forward will likely be an entertaining team.

Don't let that fool you, by the way. It's not like Leonsis went out and spent a lot of money to sign Della Donne in a deliberate attempt to improve and market his product. His team improved because two players who wanted to play closer to home came to his team. He didn't go get them. They came to him.

The ridiculous salary limits in the WNBA destroy any real competition for players. Heck, given her age, he probably saved money by signing Della Donne. Fans lucked out. Leonsis had nothing to do with it.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/18/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Don't let that fool you, by the way. It's not like Leonsis went out and spent a lot of money to sign Della Donne in a deliberate attempt to improve and market his product. His team improved because two players who wanted to play closer to home came to his team. He didn't go get them. They came to him.

The ridiculous salary limits in the WNBA destroy any real competition for players. Heck, given her age, he probably saved money by signing Della Donne. Fans lucked out. Leonsis had nothing to do with it.

I know Leonsis had nothing to do with it. Just saying I'd think they'd want to take advantage of an opportunity that fell into their lap. It's a head-scratcher.

PostPosted: 07/18/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
LFO wrote:
vallee wrote:

Umm crap...if bill could hear them over us that means we need to do a better job...then again that 1st quarter helped...NYC fans are loud but you do need to give em something to cheer for...we know basketball...cant fake it...do well we'll get behind you...do less well we'll be paitent and quiet and waiting (and praying) for things to pick up...show up not giving a damn, we'll explain that it's not acceptable in no uncertain terms Wink (Luckly that hasn't happened since 2014 Smile )

I know of two guys who come close to out-cheering a crowd when we go to DC and CT. 😉

PostPosted: 07/18/17 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
LFO wrote:
vallee wrote:

I know of two guys who come close to out-cheering a crowd when we go to DC and CT. 😉

One guy one woman thank you very much Smile

PostPosted: 07/18/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy Still going back and forth on whether or not to go up to CT this year. Since I tend to believe the Libs will be playing well by then, I'll probably make the trip. Is the bus still in the same location or did they change it again?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: