RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Joyner Holmes deserves own thread, imo

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8510
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/17 7:36 pm    ::: Joyner Holmes deserves own thread, imo Reply Reply with quote

this is huge WCB news.

http://texassports.com/news/2017/7/15/womens-basketball-statement-from-ut-athletics-on-joyner-holmes.aspx

AUSTIN, Texas – University of Texas sophomore women's basketball player Joyner Holmes will not be enrolled at UT or compete during the fall 2017 semester ....



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 13800
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/17 10:12 pm    ::: Re: Joyner Holmes deserves own thread, imo Reply Reply with quote

Out of school for a semester? That is serious.


FollowtheCardinalRule



Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 4985
Location: Denver


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida State, Tennessee, Georgia, Washington, and LSU can rejoice for a chance at a quality win against a team without their best player. This can make a huge difference if Joyner comes back and Texas wins the Big 12 for a team on the bubble.


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 654



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Florida State, Tennessee, Georgia, Washington, and LSU can rejoice for a chance at a quality win against a team without their best player. This can make a huge difference if Joyner comes back and Texas wins the Big 12 for a team on the bubble.

If she's not enrolled at all in the fall then she will be ineligible for the remainder of the academic year.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3865
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/16/17 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Florida State, Tennessee, Georgia, Washington, and LSU can rejoice for a chance at a quality win against a team without their best player. This can make a huge difference if Joyner comes back and Texas wins the Big 12 for a team on the bubble.

If she's not enrolled at all in the fall then she will be ineligible for the remainder of the academic year.


What's your basis for saying that? It may be true for the freshman year under the contractual terms of the NLI, which requires the athlete to complete one academic year. But Holmes presumably completed that obligation. Nothing's impossible in the briar patch of NCAA regulations, but I haven't heard of any rule such as the one you're stating.

In any event, the university press release says she will not be enrolled during the fall semester but will be eligible to rejoin the team on December 23. Presumably, that would be in connection with enrolling for the spring semester, and that the UT Athletic Department knows what the rules are.

It sounds as if she got kicked out of school for one semester.
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 654



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/17 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Florida State, Tennessee, Georgia, Washington, and LSU can rejoice for a chance at a quality win against a team without their best player. This can make a huge difference if Joyner comes back and Texas wins the Big 12 for a team on the bubble.

If she's not enrolled at all in the fall then she will be ineligible for the remainder of the academic year.


What's your basis for saying that? It may be true for the freshman year under the contractual terms of the NLI, which requires the athlete to complete one academic year. But Holmes presumably completed that obligation. Nothing's impossible in the briar patch of NCAA regulations, but I haven't heard of any rule such as the one you're stating.

In any event, the university press release says she will not be enrolled during the fall semester but will be eligible to rejoin the team on December 23. Presumably, that would be in connection with enrolling for the spring semester, and that the UT Athletic Department knows what the rules are.

It sounds as if she got kicked out of school for one semester.

I guess what I meant was she can be on the team, but won't be able to actually compete. I took a NCAA rules course as an elective and there was a whole section this..granted this was seven years ago, but I'm assuming the rules are still the same. What our class discovered was that out of the major associations in the US (all NCAA Divisions, NAIA, and NJCAA), the ONLY one that allowed players who enrolled second semester, either new or continuing, was the NAIA. Even then it wasn't a common practice. I guess time will tell..of course there were hardships/appeals or whatever you called them, but I'm telling you if she got kicked out for a semester, that sounds more like in her control. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all..I can't fully recall this next part, but I believe that they even had to be full time in the fall semester/quarter in order to compete. I love sports, but reading that manual with over hundreds of pages was NOT fun!


scfastpitch



Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 528



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Florida State, Tennessee, Georgia, Washington, and LSU can rejoice for a chance at a quality win against a team without their best player. This can make a huge difference if Joyner comes back and Texas wins the Big 12 for a team on the bubble.

If she's not enrolled at all in the fall then she will be ineligible for the remainder of the academic year.


What's your basis for saying that? It may be true for the freshman year under the contractual terms of the NLI, which requires the athlete to complete one academic year. But Holmes presumably completed that obligation. Nothing's impossible in the briar patch of NCAA regulations, but I haven't heard of any rule such as the one you're stating.

In any event, the university press release says she will not be enrolled during the fall semester but will be eligible to rejoin the team on December 23. Presumably, that would be in connection with enrolling for the spring semester, and that the UT Athletic Department knows what the rules are.

It sounds as if she got kicked out of school for one semester.

I guess what I meant was she can be on the team, but won't be able to actually compete. I took a NCAA rules course as an elective and there was a whole section this..granted this was seven years ago, but I'm assuming the rules are still the same. What our class discovered was that out of the major associations in the US (all NCAA Divisions, NAIA, and NJCAA), the ONLY one that allowed players who enrolled second semester, either new or continuing, was the NAIA. Even then it wasn't a common practice. I guess time will tell..of course there were hardships/appeals or whatever you called them, but I'm telling you if she got kicked out for a semester, that sounds more like in her control. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all..I can't fully recall this next part, but I believe that they even had to be full time in the fall semester/quarter in order to compete. I love sports, but reading that manual with over hundreds of pages was NOT fun!


Does that rule only apply to basketball ? I know at least ten years ago it wasn't that way for softball . South Carolina made it to a super regional in 2007 led by a junior college transfer pitcher who enrolled in January .


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 654



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/17 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Florida State, Tennessee, Georgia, Washington, and LSU can rejoice for a chance at a quality win against a team without their best player. This can make a huge difference if Joyner comes back and Texas wins the Big 12 for a team on the bubble.

If she's not enrolled at all in the fall then she will be ineligible for the remainder of the academic year.


What's your basis for saying that? It may be true for the freshman year under the contractual terms of the NLI, which requires the athlete to complete one academic year. But Holmes presumably completed that obligation. Nothing's impossible in the briar patch of NCAA regulations, but I haven't heard of any rule such as the one you're stating.

In any event, the university press release says she will not be enrolled during the fall semester but will be eligible to rejoin the team on December 23. Presumably, that would be in connection with enrolling for the spring semester, and that the UT Athletic Department knows what the rules are.

It sounds as if she got kicked out of school for one semester.

I guess what I meant was she can be on the team, but won't be able to actually compete. I took a NCAA rules course as an elective and there was a whole section this..granted this was seven years ago, but I'm assuming the rules are still the same. What our class discovered was that out of the major associations in the US (all NCAA Divisions, NAIA, and NJCAA), the ONLY one that allowed players who enrolled second semester, either new or continuing, was the NAIA. Even then it wasn't a common practice. I guess time will tell..of course there were hardships/appeals or whatever you called them, but I'm telling you if she got kicked out for a semester, that sounds more like in her control. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all..I can't fully recall this next part, but I believe that they even had to be full time in the fall semester/quarter in order to compete. I love sports, but reading that manual with over hundreds of pages was NOT fun!


Does that rule only apply to basketball ? I know at least ten years ago it wasn't that way for softball . South Carolina made it to a super regional in 2007 led by a junior college transfer pitcher who enrolled in January .

Yea I believe it applies to sports that start competition in the fall semester/winter quarter. I think track, softball, and other spring sports are different.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3876
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any idea on what she may have done ?



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 500



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't find anything on the NCAA website that addresses taking a semester off per se, just regulations about making normal academic progress, which could be affected by time off.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3876
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Regardless of the violation Joyner committed, there will be plenty of obstacles to overcome for both Joyner and the team. While I'm sure there are different "exceptions" for athletes, a student who leaves the university for a semester or two has to either re-apply or follow transfer guidelines to be re-admitted.

- Joyner was not enrolled in the first summer session; hopefully, she took a class or two at a community college which will transfer to UTjr. With her commitment to USA basketball, doesn't seem like she would be taking any classes for the second summer session.

- Joyner won't be enrolled at Texas in the Fall. So, hopefully, she will take 3 or 4 classes at a community college which will transfer to UTjr. Unfortunately, she won't have the benefit of tutors and advisors like she would if she were at student-athlete at UTjr; so, it all falls on her and her time management."


stole this from another board btw



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 628
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/17/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
"Regardless of the violation Joyner committed, there will be plenty of obstacles to overcome for both Joyner and the team. While I'm sure there are different "exceptions" for athletes, a student who leaves the university for a semester or two has to either re-apply or follow transfer guidelines to be re-admitted.

- Joyner was not enrolled in the first summer session; hopefully, she took a class or two at a community college which will transfer to UTjr. With her commitment to USA basketball, doesn't seem like she would be taking any classes for the second summer session.

- Joyner won't be enrolled at Texas in the Fall. So, hopefully, she will take 3 or 4 classes at a community college which will transfer to UTjr. Unfortunately, she won't have the benefit of tutors and advisors like she would if she were at student-athlete at UTjr; so, it all falls on her and her time management."


stole this from another board btw



Another board that called Texas "UTjr." = a Tennessee board.......


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin