RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/15/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They look tight and not confident in games of late. Might just not be translating to games. Even the very good FT shooters are missing FTs. I don't know what they're doing in practice but your muscle memory can be altered if you're rattled. As a person who can shoot, that much I do know.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also have to wonder if Wright will be back next season? Just to have that veteran guard on the team. Wright also has the fire & energy in her that Prince always seems to lack. Schimmel's an afterthought for me, especially if we draft a SF with our pick. Though I guess Schimmel could take Allen's spot(Rebecca or Lindsay). We still need an upgrade in the post and I think out of anyone, Stokes has the most trade value.

PG: Boyd/L. Allen or Schimmel
SG: Rodgers/Prince/Wright
SF: Zellous/draft pick
PF: Charles/Raincock/Zahui B
C: Vaughn/Stokes

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/15/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously, it depends on where the team picks, but to me the handwriting is on the wall -- post players are getting taller, especially centers. We're talking about athletic bigs, not stiffs. Currently, the league has Griner 6-8, Fowles 6-6, and Jones 6-6. Boyette at 6-7 isn't doing much yet, but the talent is there and you get the feeling one of these days the light bulb will go on. Wilson is coming in next year as a 6-5 PF. If Stevens enters the draft, you're talking about a 6-6 PF/C. Russell is 6-6. If McCowan enters the draft, she is 6-7. Down the road, you have Kalani Brown at 6-7. Should the opportunity present itself, this might be a train the Liberty want to get on sooner rather than later. Otherwise, we're going to see a lot of opposing post players simply shoot over our centers or out-jump them for rebounds.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love for McCowan to enter the draft early. I doubt we could trade much to get a lottery pick, but there's the possibility when end up with the #5 pick. That pick and Stokes to Indiana?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/15/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Obviously, it depends on where the team picks, but to me the handwriting is on the wall -- post players are getting taller, especially centers. We're talking about athletic bigs, not stiffs. Currently, the league has Griner 6-8, Fowles 6-6, and Jones 6-6. Boyette at 6-7 isn't doing much yet, but the talent is there and you get the feeling one of these days the light bulb will go on. Wilson is coming in next year as a 6-5 PF. If Stevens enters the draft, you're talking about a 6-6 PF/C. Russell is 6-6. If McCowan enters the draft, she is 6-7. Down the road, you have Kalani Brown at 6-7. Should the opportunity present itself, this might be a train the Liberty want to get on sooner rather than later. Otherwise, we're going to see a lot of opposing post players simply shoot over our centers or out-jump them for rebounds.

I agree. The team has a major need for length to match these players. Even Candace Parker has excellent length at 6'4". I'm pleased there are so many post players likely in this draft. I think it's a given that the Liberty need one. I think a part of their problems on offense stem from having to work so hard on defense to make up for size deficiencies. That wears you down. To me that's definitely the number one need bar none.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I love for McCowan to enter the draft early. I doubt we could trade much to get a lottery pick, but there's the possibility when end up with the #5 pick. That pick and Stokes to Indiana?

If Boyette is any indication, I wouldn't consider McCowan a guaranteed lottery pick. Keeping in mind that Boyette as a junior was the same age as McCowan as a sophomore, their numbers are very similar -- with Boyette having a slight edge. Imani improved somewhat the next year, but not enough to even crack the middle third of Round 1. Obviously, McCowan could really take off this coming season, but there's no guarantee. She looked great against an exhausted, undersized Osahor but that wasn't the case in the first half of the game. She also looked OK against 5-11 Gabby Williams, but even though Gabby is super-athletic, that's a match-up Teaira should dominate. Notably, going head-to-head against someone her own height, McCowan was clearly outplayed by Kalani Brown. So, while Teaira has great potential, she's still pretty raw. And the fact that Boyette went #10 in a less heralded draft (albeit one that looks pretty good in hindsight) makes me think McCowan isn't a lottery pick unless she shows significant improvement.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA’s All-Star Foodie

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-wnbas-all-star-foodie-tina-charles

Quote:
She has no trophy room displaying her two Olympic gold medals and numerous other awards and accolades. “I couldn’t even tell you where my league MVP trophy is that I got in 2012,” she admits.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any update on Z?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/27/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As per Lenn Robbins on Twitter Z's injury is "less serious" than a broken wrist. He did not elaborate further but that's certainly good news. Z also strikes me as a player who can play through pain, within reason.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
As per Lenn Robbins on Twitter Z's injury is "less serious" than a broken wrist. He did not elaborate further but that's certainly good news. Z also strikes me as a player who can play through pain, within reason.

Libs' personal shill tells me we have no clue how bad but doubt she'll be in the lineup tomorrow

PostPosted: 07/27/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Libs' personal shill tells me we have no clue how bad but doubt she'll be in the lineup tomorrow

agreed.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/03/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Smith, Associate Head Coach was at U23 Trials today.

its on Chicago Sky's IG she took a picture with Kelly Schumacher, just click on the Sky's logo on the top left hand corner

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/03/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Bill is starting to feel like Michael Corlene in The Godfather III

"Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in"

Just when the Liberty start to seem getting it together they have that
horrible fourth quarter against SA ! Crying or Very sad

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/05/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Few WNBA teams take advantage of USA Under-23 camp

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — USA Basketball’s Under-23 camp was a WNBA scout’s dream.

When USA Basketball holds its annual Nike Hoop Summit, nearly every NBA team is there watching.

New York Liberty president Isiah Thomas saw the benefits of sending a representative to scout the camp.

“The training camp offers a unique opportunity for the New York Liberty to evaluate the top prospects for what appears to be exceptionally deep 2018 and 2019 draft classes,” Thomas told The Associated Press in an email. “I want to commend USA Basketball for putting together a competitive program, providing the players with an opportunity to showcase their talents. It was a priority for our organization to be on site and see firsthand the future superstars of the WNBA competing at the highest level, and we considered it to be a critical part of our process in planning for the draft.

Most WNBA teams scout in the winter when the league is out of season and players are competing for their college teams. There was a lull in the WNBA schedule this week with only two games played during the camp, which would have allowed more teams to show up.

“During the college season, it can be difficult to see games in person where WNBA prospects are matched up,” said Liberty director of basketball operations Dan Padover, who was at the camp all week. “At the U23 training camp, we had a chance to see the best playing the best. There are approximately 20 players in attendance that will likely be selected in the first two rounds of the 2018 and 2019 WNBA drafts.”

Padover also said the structure of the camp was helpful for evaluating not only skills.

“The format allowed us to see how quickly players could adjust to learning offensive sets, defensive schemes and playing with new teammates, a key consideration given how quickly they would need to adapt in a WNBA training camp,” Padover said.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/05/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final ten games. Not exactly an easy schedule, but we're home for 6 of them. if we want that #4 seed, 6-4 has to happen at least plus help from Washington & Phoenix. 7-3 can be done if Tina gets some help & Sugar & Prince get out of their shooting slump. We'll see what happens.

We have:
vs. Indiana
@ Atlanta
vs. Los Angeles
@ Connecticut
vs. Minnesota
@ Indiana
vs. Washington
vs. Chicago
vs. San Antonio
@ Dallas

Randy

PostPosted: 08/05/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Final ten games. Not exactly an easy schedule, but we're home for 6 of them. if we want that #4 seed, 6-4 has to happen at least plus help from Washington & Phoenix. 7-3 can be done if Tina gets some help & Sugar & Prince get out of their shooting slump. We'll see what happens.

We have:
vs. Indiana
@ Atlanta

vs. Los Angeles
@ Connecticut
vs. Minnesota
@ Indiana
vs. Washington
vs. Chicago
vs. San Antonio
@ Dallas

Games against teams lower in the standings - Liberty "should" win. I count 6.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/05/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Atlanta game would give us a tie breaker and 2 games in the loss column over every team chasing us for 7-8-9....barring a tank injury or complete collapase winning that game gets us in the playoffs with at least one home game...which is important even if we lose out of it from a revenue and marketing standpoint...so the next 2 games (In case Indiana pulls a rabbit out of their hat) should dictate where we are position wise enough to plan after that.

And we're a few wins away from it but we also have the tie breaker against PHX

PostPosted: 08/05/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington & Phoenix are also slipping without their stars, Delle Donne & Griner. That #4 spot may not be decided until the final days.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/05/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Washington & Phoenix are also slipping without their stars, Delle Donne & Griner. That #4 spot may not be decided until the final days.

Washington and Phoenix play each other twice in the next 2 weeks too. Delle Donne won't play but Griner is likely be available for the second game. Mercury can make up a lot of ground there.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/05/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
That Atlanta game would give us a tie breaker and 2 games in the loss column over every team chasing us for 7-8-9....barring a tank injury or complete collapase winning that game gets us in the playoffs with at least one home game...which is important even if we lose out of it from a revenue and marketing standpoint...so the next 2 games (In case Indiana pulls a rabbit out of their hat) should dictate where we are position wise enough to plan after that.

And we're a few wins away from it but we also have the tie breaker against PHX

Beating D.C. at home, without EDD (if she's out, it'll be close) would also give us a tiebreaker over them. I have a feeling that's the game that's going to wind up ultimately determining our seeding. Stealing one from the Lynx at home without Whalen isn't beyond the realm of possibility either.

PostPosted: 08/05/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dont get upset Liberty Fans... But

Maybe the best thing is to play our second team and see
what they can do with more playing time ...
be a lottery team instead of a one and done team in the playoffs

Does anyone remember how many years the Lynx
were a lottery team and many high draft picks and where they are now .

One and done does nothing for the Liberty...we have been in that position too many times

Shades

PostPosted: 08/05/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Stealing one from the Lynx at home without Whalen isn't beyond the realm of possibility either.

Better not have an off day from Charles. Might be a good roll of the dice to start Zahui. She likes playing in Minnesota.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/05/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only game left vs. the Lynx is at MSG. That's why I was hoping to steal it.

PostPosted: 08/05/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Dont get upset Liberty Fans... But

Maybe the best thing is to play our second team and see
what they can do with more playing time ...
be a lottery team instead of a one and done team in the playoffs

Does anyone remember how many years the Lynx
were a lottery team and many high draft picks and where they are now .

One and done does nothing for the Liberty...we have been in that position too many times

NORMALLY I'd actually say this isn't a terrible idea...tho as a rule of thumb I find tanking deplorable and is why I like the way they do it in Europe...the entire last place team gets sent to the minors!!!!

but there's a Biiiiiggggg BUT and I CANNOT LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Libs are basically in a position where a full on tank would do very little in the case of a tie as they're ahead of both seattle and Dallas by winning the series

Add that with the Aggerigate rule...a GREAT rule....we're past the point of no return in terms of being anywhere but 4th best odds in the lottery so is the 4 pick worth that much in a draft this deep

So go for the home game revenue (which is where we are) use the bench MORE certainly but don't tank as there's nowhere to tank to...we're kinda stuck in 6th with maybe a shot if we play well to move up into 5th or get the bye

If we were like this in 7th I'd be singing a different tune and if we do fall to 8th at some point a MUCH different tune

But honestly...Given our needs...Deshields is likely off the board anyway by 4th...8th or 9th...likely greenwell...or Rebecca allen take 2...I'll chance that...you can always package to trade up

PostPosted: 08/05/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why should Liberty fans care about the home game revenue? I certainly don't. It's going into Jimmy Dolan's pocket, not mine and not the pockets of the Liberty players. (Or do the players get a little money if there's a home playoff game? Then I'll care a little, but still not much.)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 71 of 80

Jump to: