RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NHL expansion coming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 06/24/15 9:33 pm    ::: NHL expansion coming Reply Reply with quote

An announcement is expected by the 2017-18 season with Las Vegas, Seattle & Quebec City as the frontrunners.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13144644/nhl-expansion-announcement-was-momentous-moment-nhl

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/25/15 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle and Quebec City used to have hockey teams --- the Seattle Metropolitans was with the old PCHL --- but, IMHO, the NHL has too many teams (30) as it is.

Even more bizarre is...why Vegas? Did the NHL not learn after the Phoenix Coyote's troubles?

PostPosted: 06/26/15 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, 30 should be the max for the NHL. But these expansion fees are crazy and that's what the league sees - $$$$$$. Realistically, the Coyotes should move to Las Vegas, the Florida Panthers to Quebec City & put Seattle on the back burner for now. Seattle would need a new arena anyway for an NHL team, which is likely 4-5 years away if it passes.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/20/15 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle's out.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/17/seattle-nhl-team-owner-wont-submit-expansion-bid

Quebec City considered a frontrunner, submits bid:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/20/nhl-expansion-quebec-city-quebecor?xid=si_social

Las Vegas & Milwaukee are still in the running. Houston & Kansas City's potential groups have dropped out.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

where to put Quebec City??

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/27/nhl-expansion-teams-quebec-city-las-vegas-conference-alignment

a possible all-Canadian division could possibly happen.
Canadian Division:
Vancouver
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Calgary
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec City

Western Division:
San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Dallas
Colorado
Minnesota

Central Division:
St. Louis
Chicago
Nashville
Columbus
Detroit
Buffalo
Tampa Bay
Florida

North Division:
Boston
New York Rangers
Brooklyn Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
Carolina

toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/15 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there's also talk of the NHL abandoning the current8 team divisions and separating everyone into 8 divisions of 4 teams each. The problem with this is it forces either Detroit or Columbus into the Western conference:

Western Conference:
Canada West: Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg
Central: Chicago, Columbus, St. Louis, Nashville
Pacific: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Jose
Southwest: Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota

Eastern Conference:
Canada East: Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, Toronto
Atlantic: New Jersey, Philadelphia, NY Islanders, NY Rangers
North: Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit
Southeast: Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

toad455

PostPosted: 06/14/16 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas granted expansion team. Cost: $500 million. And I doubt Quebec won't get in either as giving Las Vegas a team would bring the league up to 31 teams.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16203078/nhl-settles-las-vegas-quebec-city-expansion

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/15/16 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Las Vegas granted expansion team. Cost: $500 million. And I doubt Quebec won't get in either as giving Las Vegas a team would bring the league up to 31 teams.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16203078/nhl-settles-las-vegas-quebec-city-expansion

One of the potential owners of the Las Vegas NHL franchise is a familiar name to Sacramento NBA and WNBA fans... Rolling Eyes

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article83930702.html

PostPosted: 06/22/16 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas officially in, will start in 2017-18 season and be in the Pacific Division. West now has 15 teams, East has 16. I expect the 32nd to come soon and fill in the Central. I'm SO hoping Houston gets #32 but I'm not holding my breath...Les Alexander hasn't shown much interest since he got matched and lost the Edmonton Oilers.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/22/16 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have to wonder if they're still looking at Seattle. The Seattle group dropped out of this expansion bidding process. Quebec may be on the back burner in case a team needs to relocate. The city is more ready than Las Vegas.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/22/16 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not officially stated by the NHL, but reports are saying a 32nd team will be arriving shortly as well. I imagine Quebec could be one of them, but the league specifically wants another Western team so Detroit doesn't have to move West.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/16/16 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Seattle as the 32nd team & Quebec City gets a relocation team? Carolina? Florida?

Western Conference:
Canada West: Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg
Central: Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, St. Louis
Pacific: Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle
Southwest: Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Las Vegas

Eastern Conference:
Canada East: Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, Toronto
Atlantic: New Jersey, Boston, NY Islanders, NY Rangers
North: Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Columbus
Southeast: Carolina, Tampa Bay, Washington, Nashville

toad455

PostPosted: 07/14/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carolina Hurricanes officially put up for sale today. I'd say team ends up in Quebec by 2019-2020 season. 32nd team likely to be Seattle assuming a new arena gets built.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 07/14/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Carolina Hurricanes officially put up for sale today. I'd say team ends up in Quebec by 2019-2020 season. 32nd team likely to be Seattle assuming a new arena gets built.

The NHL is NOT going back to Quebec. If and that's a BIG if the 'Canes move, it will be to an American city. Houston, Seattle and Kansas City would be the top 3 markets. Houston is the biggest market in the US and Canada without an NHL team and Seattle is close behind. Kansas City is a distant 3rd to these 2. Quebec City is a non-starter.

That all said, the present owner of the Hurricanes is looking hard for a local owner and reports are he's found one that wants to keep the team in North Carolina, as he also owns minor league baseball teams in the state and region.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/14/17 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2017/07/14/carolina-hurricanes-500-million-sale-is-fake-news/#55eae5bb6090

Quote:
Yes, Chuck Greenberg is trying to buy the money-losing NHL franchise. But all Greenberg has right now is a non-binding letter of intent. Moreover, the real price (enterpise value) is nowhere near $500 million (perhaps the $500 million includes future money the potential buyer is promising to put into the team?), according to my sources.

And by the way, Greenberg is not even close to raising the money to buy the Hurricanes. Not even for $400 million.

Chuck Greenberg is a former owner of the MLB's Texas Rangers. He purchased the Rangers in August 2010 (along with Nolan Ryan), and then stepped down just before the 2011 season began.

PostPosted: 07/14/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/13/15966400/carolina-hurricanes-sale-nhl-chuck-greenberg-peter-karmanos-relocation

My only concern is if Greenberg has enough money to buy the team. I would hate to see a repeat of an ownership scandal that involved the New York Islanders in the late-1990's, when it was purchased by a con artist named John Spano. Spano eventually was convicted of fraud and forgery, and spent five years in prison. He later got arrested (on a separate incident) for defrauding companies. Last time I heard, he is still in prison.

The NHL has a history for doing a bad job when it comes to due diligence for prospective owners. Mad

PostPosted: 07/14/17 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/13/15966400/carolina-hurricanes-sale-nhl-chuck-greenberg-peter-karmanos-relocation

My only concern is if Greenberg has enough money to buy the team. I would hate to see a repeat of an ownership scandal that involved the New York Islanders in the late-1990's, when it was purchased by a con artist named John Spano. Spano eventually was convicted of fraud and forgery, and spent five years in prison. He later got arrested (on a separate incident) for defrauding companies. Last time I heard, he is still in prison.

The NHL has a history for doing a bad job when it comes to due diligence for prospective owners. Mad

If anyone is interested, this was the subject of one of ESPN'S 30 for 30 documentaries. It was really well done and hella interesting.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: