RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 07/03/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
With diamond going overseas i think that helps her draft stock tremendously . Shes going to play against W talent every night and will be ready for the pace and speed of the game . Coaches will recognize although most of them have , but they can use her performance this season as a measuring stick better than a player competing on the college level . IF she does well she could be the top Pick , if she struggles to adjust which i highly doubt then she could be as low as #5 . But Top 3 seems logically in DD case.

Your scenario could play out, but it also seems possible she has trouble adapting to overseas play and maybe the coaches and team mates there won't be inclined to put up with her.

BTW - in the Dallas 2017 thread Ay Mate swrote:

Quote:
Swish Appeal says Diamond DeShields was at a recent Dallas Wings game and asked a player for Bridget Petis's phone number and told a reporter that she will be here in Dallas for the next WNBA season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/03/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
With diamond going overseas i think that helps her draft stock tremendously . Shes going to play against W talent every night and will be ready for the pace and speed of the game . Coaches will recognize although most of them have , but they can use her performance this season as a measuring stick better than a player competing on the college level . IF she does well she could be the top Pick , if she struggles to adjust which i highly doubt then she could be as low as #5 . But Top 3 seems logically in DD case.

Your scenario could play out, but it also seems possible she has trouble adapting to overseas play and maybe the coaches and team mates there won't be inclined to put up with her.

Quote:
Swish Appeal says Diamond DeShields was at a recent Dallas Wings game and asked a player for Bridget Petis's phone number and told a reporter that she will be here in Dallas for the next WNBA season.

Diamond in dallas sure , we dont exactly need her here but id take her. BTW on the asia durr comment made earlier she is not a lottery pick . Only things she does is shoot a high volume of shots with majority not going in ALa Betty Lennox 2.0

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:

Diamond in dallas sure , we dont exactly need her here but id take her. BTW on the asia durr comment made earlier she is not a lottery pick . Only things she does is shoot a high volume of shots with majority not going in ALa Betty Lennox 2.0

But yes or no, does she have to enter the draft?

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

The bit of the CBA that states "No player may sign a Contract or play in the WNBA unless she has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) WNBA Draft." would distinctly suggest yes.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
caune wrote:

The bit of the CBA that states "No player may sign a Contract or play in the WNBA unless she has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) WNBA Draft." would distinctly suggest yes.

If she plays overseas she could claim to be an "international player" and thus have been retroactively eligible for the 2015 draft Laughing

PostPosted: 07/04/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
caune wrote:

If she plays overseas she could claim to be an "international player" and thus have been retroactively eligible for the 2015 draft Laughing
So in other words, open to interpretation😉

PostPosted: 07/04/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
caune wrote:

I suspect the interpretation will be that she is draftable. She wasn't eligible this year since she didn't declare. She can't retroactively become an international player. But she could refuse to sign with whoever drafts her next year and just play overseas.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 07/04/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe pilight is onto something. She becomes of citizen of fortune for Holy See or one of the other 43 Euro counties and joins their NT - renounces her US citizenship (though I don't know that she would need to) and suddenly she is an undrafted foreign player. Plays where she wants....(Still I'd rather have the legal fees on making that one stick rather than the WNBA salary.)

Shades

PostPosted: 07/04/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as I know, foreign players who go through the NCAA system are subject to the same rules as American players.

My interpretation is once a player renounces remaining NCAA eligibility, which seems to be the case for DeShields, she automatically becomes eligible for the next draft. I'm pretty sure she can't block being drafted, just like foreign players can't block being drafted when they become age-eligible. She can refuse to report to the team that drafted her, but in that case, what WNBA team (other than the most desperate ones) really wants to deal with a player like that?

All this fuss over a story from Swish Appeal, who would be willing to run a story based on a twitter rumor.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at this list up the page, I think Anigwe is way too low. I see her as a top three pick. She could well be the next Ogwumike. 6'4", physically strong, quick with good feet and mobility. Good defender. I'd happily draft her for my team.

Azura Stevens has a lot to prove. She certainly wasn't close to being the #1 pick when she last played for Duke. Maybe she will be after playing for a year at UConn, but we'll see. Let's see if she is more willing to play close to the basket and to handle physical contact.

Putting Cooper in the first round at this stage strikes me as "well she was good in high school and AAU," 'cause she sure hasn't shown merit as a first round pick in college.

I'll be curious to see what Shepard looks like with better coaching and especially surrounded by better teammates. Another big question mark. Although right now I'm guessing she will use both years of eligibility and won't be drafted until 2020.

Quote:

#1 Stevens Of She Stays
#2 T. McCowan If She Stays
#3. KLS (Possibly The ROY)
4. Sabrina Ionescu
#5. Kalani Brown
#6. Napheesa If She Stays
#7 Arike Ogumbawale
#8 Asia Durr
#9 Anigwe
#10 Marina Mabrey
#11 Shepard
#12 T. Cooper

Shades

PostPosted: 07/04/17 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Texas Rangers are an American professional baseball team based in Arlington, Texas, located in the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex.

Quote:
Delino Diaab DeShields Jr. is an American professional baseball center fielder for the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/11/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/07/wu23-tc-roster.aspx

Alot of Star Power on this one, Gonna be hard to pick 12 players lol

I bet Miss Wilson will make the team don't cha think?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the USAB release "Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens who are 23 years old or younger and currently are freshmen, sophomores or juniors in college." Aren't there some players on there who have their degrees and are playing this fall as graduate students? Mercedes Russell for instance? Or Lexie Brown perhaps?

Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aja Wilson and LaChina Robinson

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/11/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tynice Martin is another player who stood out to me , anybody know the kids age ? I know she was born in march just not for sure what year ? Might be another early entry possibility there...

PostPosted: 07/11/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Tynice Martin is another player who stood out to me , anybody know the kids age ? I know she was born in march just not for sure what year ? Might be another early entry possibility there...

Need year of birth to say for sure. But seeing that she is going into her junior year, hasn't red-shirted, and is born in March, I'd say it's not looking good for an early declaration. Most players who are old for their class are born later in the calendar year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/11/17 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Need year of birth to say for sure. But seeing that she is going into her junior year, hasn't red-shirted, and is born in March, I'd say it's not looking good for an early declaration. Most players who are old for their class are born later in the calendar year.

Born in march going into junior yr possibly just turned 21 which means she will be 22 next yr during the NCAA's which would make her eligible right?

PostPosted: 07/11/17 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
According to the USAB release "Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens who are 23 years old or younger and currently are freshmen, sophomores or juniors in college." Aren't there some players on there who have their degrees and are playing this fall as graduate students? Mercedes Russell for instance? Or Lexie Brown perhaps?

As was the case when the competition was announced, the assumption would be athletic eligibility year as opposed to academic status. It basically eliminates any players who just graduated, but are not in the WNBA like say if Jankoska had wanted to try out for the team. Where this would leave Diamond DeShields is anyone's best guess.
Shades

PostPosted: 07/12/17 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Born in march going into junior yr possibly just turned 21 which means she will be 22 next yr during the NCAA's which would make her eligible right?

I'm guessing she's born in 1997 as would be typical for a true junior.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/12/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I'm guessing she's born in 1997 as would be typical for a true junior.

Yeah that makes since now that i think of the school year calendar . Either way though you cant deny shes going to be something special ! Top 3 Pick Imo.

PostPosted: 07/13/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some really interesting insights into drafting players. Though written about the NBA, the concepts apply to the WNBA as well. Part 1 is quite interesting, Part 2 is a bit philosophical, Part 3 is more analytic.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/a-roll-of-the-dice-part-1/

https://cleaningtheglass.com/a-roll-of-the-dice-part-2/

https://cleaningtheglass.com/a-roll-of-the-dice-part-3/

Quote:
Similarly, one could argue that talent evaluators shouldn’t get any special credit for taking a player in the range most people expected them to go in, no matter how that player turned out. Draymond Green, for example, was taken 35th in the 2012 draft. But this was around the range most teams would have taken him — if Golden State didn’t take him at 35 then some other team likely would have shortly thereafter, and that team would be lauded. Green’s selection, then, might have been less about great talent evaluation and more simply being in the right place at the right time. Bob Myers, the Warriors’ GM, has even said as much, acknowledging that if the Warriors knew Green would have been this good they wouldn’t have passed on him at #7 and again at #30: “We kind of blew it. But at least we got him.”

Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAS is only two games ahead of the best team in the lottery, and their two year cumulative is in better position than some of the teams currently in the lottery positions.

Fans of CHI are probably hoping DAL doesn't dip into the lottery.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/14/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stars have an 11 loss lead on the Wings and 15 or more on everyone else. No one can catch the Stars. Stars will get the 44%.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/14/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stars have an 11 loss lead on the Wings and 15 or more on everyone else. No one can catch the Stars. Stars will get the 44%.

And something says they wont get #1 still Cool

PostPosted: 07/14/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:

And something says they wont get #1 still Cool

Based on this season so far, it didn't help them much. Nor did getting No. 5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 6 of 93

Jump to: