Board Junkies Forums

San Antonio Stars 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/11/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Stars sign Sequoia Holmes for rest of the season

I don't understand why you waste the roster spot you opened up by signing Holmes for the whole season, rather than using if for 7-day deals to see what surprises you might be able to find among players off the street. 31-year old journeywoman Sequoia Holmes isn't going to be a meaningful part of the Stars' future.

PostPosted: 07/14/17 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isabelle Harrison Mended and Playing Well for San Antonio

http://womhoops.blogspot.com/2017/07/wnba-feature-former-tennessee-star.html

Quote:
Against the Fever, the affable 6 foot, 3 inch center ran the floor like a thoroughbred, jumped like a spry kangaroo for rebounds, deftly finished around the basket, and stepped into passing lanes like a thief. Her relentless activity gave the Fever fits and created mismatches throughout the game.

PostPosted: 07/14/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting watching this team. On a team like this I sometimes like to just watch one player and the dynamic around that player. It appears some of them are willing to play with Plum and some of them do whatever they can to sabotage her. By that, I mean things like not trying to come meet the ball on passes; not giving her any movement/help when she is trapped; not passing her the ball when she's wide open...lots of little things. I understand that rookies have to 'earn' their trust, but some of this stuff seems excessive. Mostly I see it from the other guards, whereas the posts for the most part seem willing to play with her.

Izzi is fun to watch - lots of effort and energy and decent results too.

- Amanda Gorman
Angus24

PostPosted: 07/16/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury really missed the boat when they traded Harrison., She is just what the Stars need in a Post player. Sure hope she doesn't get injured again.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/16/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
The Mercury really missed the boat when they traded Harrison., She is just what the Stars need in a Post player. Sure hope she doesn't get injured again.

Had to give up something if they wanted to acquire Danielle Robinson.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

for some reason im still feeling bad for lady plum . She barely gets any time even with injuries and gets two brief stints to shine and scores 11 pts within about 1 min 30 secs remaining . Its very frustrating for her im sure because its becoming frustrating for me i want to see her play 20+ mins hell its not like your going to win anything this year regardless VJ Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/DishNSwish/status/886942620798398466

Randy

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems here biggest concern is that none of her players get cut when they go overseas......

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Seems here biggest concern is that none of her players get cut when they go overseas......

She sound's like she's the most clueless wnba coach I've ever seen in my life.

I think she should be fired immediately. Who are their assistants? Promote one of them to interim head coach and starting headhunting for a new coach now. VJ, good player... VJ, pile of shit head coach.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect that they would have hired someone else, but decided they didn't like the pool of candidates and are waiting for someone to get fired and pick them up next year.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/17/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I suspect that they would have hired someone else, but decided they didn't like the pool of candidates and are waiting for someone to get fired and pick them up next year.

I'd even bring Dan Hughes back at this point Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/17/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:

I'd even bring Dan Hughes back at this point Laughing

This _______________X

PostPosted: 07/17/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the Stat sheet it would seem like VJ is finally making winning games more of a priority but I am totally baffled by her handling of de Souza. 8 minutes after 24 minutes and 14 points in the previous game. I got the impression from her responses in that podcast that it is all about defense, if a player misses an assignment they are pulled immediately. I don't know how she became an expert on overseas play. I can't remember her playing overseas with any of the top teams. I think maybe she gets her emphasis on defense from her days in NY and coach Adubato. He assumed the team would score enough points so the key to success was limiting the scoring of the other team.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/17/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Seems her biggest concern is that none of her players get cut when they go overseas......

They can be humiliated in front of their friends and family, but as long as they don't get cut overseas, everything's okay.

I kinda feel for her. You're a coach who lives by defense, and you're expected to build a team on has-been free agents and rookies and the desolate roster Hughes left her? Rookies hate defense, especially at the WNBA level. That's why coaches that emphasize defense don't love rookies: Agler, Reeve, maybe Laimbeer.

Speaking of Laimbeer, any chance he could switching back to SFO should the Liberty sustain disappointment?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/17/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. interesting. That felt pretty hostile...like 'I'm tired of being asked these questions. It's my way or the highway.' And she didn't actually answer the question of why not Plum-MoJeff-McBride.

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/17/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am starting to think VJ learned how to make friends and influence people from Adubato, how to coach from Coyle, and how to make player moves from Hughes.

These are not the particular lessons I would have taken from these particular people.

(now with spelling variations)
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/31/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what's the path forward for the Stars?

Vickie Johnson may not be the solution, but she's not the real problem either -- there just aren't that many good players on this roster, at least in terms of competing for the top third of the standings.

Jefferson appears to be a decent starter at point, though obviously undersized. On the right team, she'd be fine.

McBride is a volume shooter with a low percentage who doesn't defend well.

Plum may turn into a rotation player/fifth starter (it's a shame the draft was so weak that she was the overall No. 1 -- it's not her fault that the expectations were too high).

Harrison is an undersized post who, like Jefferson, could be a solid contributor with the right people around her.

Hamby and Montgomery are bench pieces, at best, and Alexander might be a half-step better.

Currie is past her prime.

Etc.

So what is the plan? Given that this roster is the worst in the league, is there any reasonable hope for improvement in the next two or three years? Or is this going to be long run of mediocrity (in good years) until SA gets lucky and finds three elite players?

PostPosted: 07/31/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

This is a double whammy for you. Not only is she no longer with SAN, she's a big reason why PHX hasn't completely collapsed without Griner.

I might dissect the rest of your post later.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This is a double whammy for you. Not only is she no longer with SAN, she's a big reason why PHX hasn't completely collapsed without Griner.

I might dissect the rest of your post later.

Ditto shes found her groove in PHX finally. The rest is just a mess , This team needs a new everything.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You don't need 5 superstars to have a very good team if you have really good team chemistry. It seems to me that team chemistry is a foreign concept with VJ. I have seen a number of examples in high school basketball over the years where a team with less talented players but really good chemistry would be the winner. I remember one in particular where a team from a small town had 5 or 6 players who had played together since grade school and knew what to expect from each of the other players. In the state tournament they took out the big teams from the big cities one after another to win the state championship.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's all a cycle. They're like an expansion team. And yeah, it will take a few lottery picks to get better. A'ja Wilson will be a big step in that direction if they get her. Unfortunately she has always wanted to play out from the basket never wants to be a center... The four is where they already have a decent player in Izzy. Izzy is willing to play the center but is too undersized.

McBride is interesting. She forces it too often. But it's hard to blame her for shooting since she is their best player. I thought they played better team ball without her though so maybe some adjustment needs to be made. I don't know team dynamics but she always looks grumpy. Of course when you lose all the time it's hard to stay upbeat and maybe that's just her normal demeanor.

Not sure why they moved Mo when they did and got nothing in return. I love Eshaya but really, they couldn't get mo for Mo? I guess she will be a FA at the end of the year and they assumed she would be gone then. Or maybe there was a lockerroom issue. But I would have thought they could at least get a 2nd round pick next year, which might possibly... remotely be of some use along with Murphy or something better elsewhere. NY could certainly have used Mo this year. If that's the best they can do it doesn't bode well for them moving any of their other so-so players.

I've tried to stay away from criticizing Hamby but really she should be the 11th or 12th player on the bench. She brings 'energy' but little else. And VJ playing so many minutes with her and Izzy as the posts is just sad.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Vickie Johnson may not be the solution, but she's not the real problem either -- there just aren't that many good players on this roster, at least in terms of competing for the top third of the standings.

Jefferson appears to be a decent starter at point, though obviously undersized. On the right team, she'd be fine.

Plum may turn into a rotation player/fifth starter (it's a shame the draft was so weak that she was the overall No. 1 -- it's not her fault that the expectations were too high).

Harrison is an undersized post who, like Jefferson, could be a solid contributor with the right people around her.

Hamby and Montgomery are bench pieces, at best, and Alexander might be a half-step better.

Etc.

So what is the plan? Given that this roster is the worst in the league, is there any reasonable hope for improvement in the next two or three years? Or is this going to be long run of mediocrity (in good years) until SA gets lucky and finds three elite players?

Get the #1 pick and draft Wilson

Break up The Plum/Jefferson back-court by trading one for a decent wing or post, or a pick that could be turned into a decent wing or post.

Jefferson or Plum (if she finishes strong) to Seattle for their pick (Seattle would have to move up into the playoffs for this to be a little more likely to happen a lottery pick this draft might be untouchable SA can always throw in their 2nd round #13 pick if it sweetens the eal there will still be player in this draft at #13 who will make teams and have an impact, maybe not starters but still some good talent. If SA with their two first rounders could add like Wilson and a forgotten about Deshields who falls to #4 through 6, or a G. Williams or K. Mitchell who ends up in that range because of an early entry or two or questions about their size that would be a big help).

Jefferson or Plum to Washington for their pick (Washington's pick will be in the 8-12 range a little more attainable and someone liked Nared or Billings or Vivians, or Greenwell or Nurse will still be on the board they all would be a better fit with the remaining Stars after the trade.)

Then maybe try to add a UFA vet who can help change the culture a little bit. Someone who can do what T. Wright did for the Liberty or what Beard and Carson added to LA. SA can afford a max contract for that type of player.

SA has some work to do but I think their is a little hope. Wilson will have to be the real deal though, she'll need to have a first year impact like the Ogwumike's or Charles, she can't come in and struggle to adjust. And of course if SA ends up at 2 or 3 they will have some real decisions to make. Can Deshields save them? Is G. Williams more of the right fit? if K. Mitchell takes afew step forward to the start ovr with her as the focus of the offense? If so what do you do with McBride and Plum? etc

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brain lock on Currie, my apologies ...

I'm not saying you need five superstars to play well, or even five stars. But the San Antonio roster at present has no stars (unless you buy into McBride as underachieving), and even A'ja Wilson is at best one star -- and that's only if SA wins the lottery. And Wilson doesn't appear to be a player who will immediately be all-WNBA.

I don't believe in DeShields (a slightly better Kaela Davis, most likely), Kelsey Mitchell is more of what they already have, so I don't see a difference-maker available to SA in the short run, and again, given the present roster, there seems to be little hope for a great leap forward -- or even a bunny hop.

And what's sad is that it could be a good franchise, it seems. The Spurs support the team, it appears, and the fans come out when the team wins and it plays in the main arena.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Break up The Plum/Jefferson back-court by trading one for a decent wing or post, or a pick that could be turned into a decent wing or post.

Jefferson or Plum (if she finishes strong) to Seattle for their pick (Seattle would have to move up into the playoffs for this to be a little more likely to happen a lottery pick this draft might be untouchable).

Jefferson or Plum to Washington for their pick (Washington's pick will be in the 8-12 range a little more attainable and someone liked Nared or Billings or Vivians, or Greenwell or Nurse will still be on the board they all would be a better fit with the remaining Stars after the trade.)

Then maybe try to add a UFA vet who can help change the culture a little bit. Someone who can do what T. Wright did for the Liberty or what Beard and Carson added to LA. SA can afford a max contract for that type of player.

At this point MoJeff (remember she was essentially a #1 pick as well - just that her draft year had Stewie and Plum's had no Stewie) has more value as a known quantity based on what she did last year. Of course there is now the injury question, but still I think she has more value as a trade asset...
Without fussing with picks since I think it's going to be hard to wrench away any but the worst picks next year:
Plum to Seattle for Clark and Swords.
MoJeff to WA for Meeseman

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/31/17 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Etc.

Get the #1 pick and draft Wilson

Jefferson or Plum (if she finishes strong) to Seattle for their pick (Seattle would have to move up into the playoffs for this to be a little more likely to happen a lottery pick this draft might be untouchable SA can always throw in their 2nd round #13 pick if it sweetens the eal there will still be player in this draft at #13 who will make teams and have an impact, maybe not starters but still some good talent. If SA with their two first rounders could add like Wilson and a forgotten about Deshields who falls to #4 through 6, or a G. Williams or K. Mitchell who ends up in that range because of an early entry or two or questions about their size that would be a big help).

SA has some work to do but I think their is a little hope. Wilson will have to be the real deal though, she'll need to have a first year impact like the Ogwumike's or Charles, she can't come in and struggle to adjust. And of course if SA ends up at 2 or 3 they will have some real decisions to make. Can Deshields save them? Is G. Williams more of the right fit? if K. Mitchell takes afew step forward to the start ovr with her as the focus of the offense? If so what do you do with McBride and Plum? etc

I love your assesment , but they still have to get the #1 pick first and i dont believe ANYone will forget about Diamond deshields next year in the draft. Im predicting her at #2 behind Aja .

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: