View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 07/06/17 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Transaction: Atlanta waives Meighan Simmons

animals31089

PostPosted: 07/06/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
WNBA Transaction: Atlanta waives Meighan Simmons

hmm wonder if theyre bringing in someone else noy really a suprise kind of slowed down since last season

Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vision for 2018

Clarendon
Hayes/Sykes
McCoughtry/Holmes
Lyttle/Dantas
Williams/

That's a nice Core 8. No new starters needed. Keep additional 2 or 3 reserves from current squad (or look for upgrades in free agency). Keep 1 or 2 from 2018 draft.

Ajavon: Overdue for an upgrade, but I could see her as a favorite of Cooper's.

Hooper: Probably would run through a wall at this point to keep a job. Might consider keeping her depending on how draft goes. Not a true post player.

Morello: Has been on WNBA welfare the past two seasons. Do you keep her because of the investment in her or cut your losses? Consider kicking her to the curb if first round pick is a big.

Morris: Never understood the appeal. Has best agent in league.

#7 pick (projected)
Front court: Russell, Billings
Back court: Canada, Lexie Brown

#31 pick (projected)
Front court: Mavunga, Alexa Hart
Back court: Morgan William, Ariel Atkins

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/11/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper has not been using Hooper as a post player despite the lack of depth there. He uses Holmes at the four whenever only one of Williams, Lyttle, or Dantas is on the floor.

Assuming Dantas takes off for the Olympics next year, the Dream will desperately need another post. Even with Dantas another big would be useful.

PostPosted: 07/11/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Cooper has not been using Hooper as a post player despite the lack of depth there. He uses Holmes at the four whenever only one of Williams, Lyttle, or Dantas is on the floor.

Assuming Dantas takes off for the Olympics next year, the Dream will desperately need another post. Even with Dantas another big would be useful.

The Olympics aren't until 2020. If you meant the Worlds, Dantas played 30 games in 2014 for the Minnesota Lynx.

Last edited by Shades on 07/11/17 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 07/11/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the schedule is done accordingly, the WNBA season(including playoffs) will be completed before the Worlds start(end of September).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 07/11/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If the schedule is done accordingly, the WNBA season(including playoffs) will be completed before the Worlds start(end of September).

Yeah, but she may want to practice with her team before it starts

PostPosted: 07/11/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe if we are lucky Brazil will not have paid their FIBA dues, and this time won't have the Olympic card to give them a free pass.

Assuming we don't hit the lottery, we mainly need a backup PG or a 4/5 who might develop into Sancho's replacement or at least Williams backup. I'm tired of hearing about Russell. If she was any good she would have come out this year. At best she would give Morello someone about her size to talk to on the bench. I've seen too many LV games where she was a non-entity to get excited about her.

If Angel does come back then they should draft best player available that isn't a wing and look at making a deal to flip one of their wings for a backup PG or 4/5. Or flip Angel for a lottery pick or rising young star.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'm tired of hearing about Russell. If she was any good she would have come out this year.

Most players don't leave early. Mitchell and DeShields aren't any good?

Randy wrote:
I've seen too many LV games where she was a non-entity to get excited about her.

People still get excited about DeShields. Could be the problem is the coach in Tennessee. Could be? Most likely. Russell is worth a shot, especially considering the combination of height and solid build like hers doesn't come around that often. You like Billings better, or haven't seen enough? Maybe reach for Vadeeva since McCoughtry has played with her? Hmmm..

I'm surprised you're interested in Boyette considering she had the opportunity to start but has fallen flat. Most of the players that have been given opportunities to step up have done so.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/11/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades - you can have Russell at 12. Haven't seen Billings or don't remember her. Guess I will have some games to watch come November.

As for Vadeeva - Angel doesn't even think it's worth it to play for Atlanta herself, so I don't see her recruiting anyone.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/11/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Maybe if we are lucky Brazil will not have paid their FIBA dues, and this time won't have the Olympic card to give them a free pass.

For what it's worth, Brazil are now listed among the entrants on the official website for the Americup in 25 days time: http://www.fiba.com/womensamericup/2017/ . Both Dantas and Erika were named in the Brazilian preliminary squad for the tournament (their training camp starts this Thursday).

PostPosted: 07/11/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:

For what it's worth, Brazil are now listed among the entrants on the official website for the Americup in 25 days time: http://www.fiba.com/womensamericup/2017/ . Both Dantas and Erika were named in the Brazilian preliminary squad for the tournament (their training camp starts this Thursday).

So we may not even have Dantas for the last half of this season. Sad

Maybe that's why Burdick was hanging out at the last game.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/11/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva is almost 19. When can teams draft her Richyyy? She is a big talent and wouldnt mind if the Storm went after her.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/11/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Vadeeva is almost 19. When can teams draft her Richyyy? She is a big talent and wouldnt mind if the Storm went after her.

She's eligible for next year's draft. It's going to be interesting to see how high she goes, in a draft that's already deep with American prospects (who teams will be a lot more confident in actually showing up).

PostPosted: 07/12/17 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile back to 2017. My guess at how the rest of the season goes - just for fun.

Dream are 8-8 now, have 18 games left. The schedule so far has been pretty easy, The remaining games are tougher.

7 games against Lynx, Merc and Sparks. 11 games total against team 500 or better.

7 games against teams that now have losing records.

9 home and 9 away.

I put the Lynx as 3 games they will lose, and figure they will probably lose at least 5 of the 8 against winner. So that would mean only 3 wins against the 500 or better.

To get to 500 they would need to win 6 of the 7 games against losing teams. I don't think that happens. Probably they win 4-5 at best. So that leaves the record at 15-19 or so.

They might beat LA and Mercury during the last week of the season since those teams may be locked into their playoff positions. If they are still fighting for position if may be a lot harder.

Best case scenario - 17 wins, worst case probably around 14.

Now we just need to play the games.... Razz

Shades

PostPosted: 07/15/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittney Sykes emerges in the WNBA: 'I didn't waste any time'

http://www.syracuse.com/orangewomen/index.ssf/2017/07/brittney_sykes_makes_her_way_in_the_wnba_i_didnt_waste_any_time.html

Quote:
"I'm good at nicknames,'' he said. "That's one of my favorites.''

For instance, one of the first times he saw 5-foot-9, 146-pound rookie guard Brittney Sykes, he just knew she had to be "Slim.''

"She loves it and rolls by it,'' Cooper said.

I wonder if pilight is going to be able to remember that.

Quote:
In one of their first meetings, Cooper told Sykes she could be the WNBA's rookie of the year. And Sykes has made quick work proving her new coach prophetic there, too. She's taken over a starting spot in the Dream backcourt and ranks second among WNBA rookies in points per game (10.1) and is third in rebounds (3.6) and averaged minutes played (19.Cool.

"Her progression is definitely ahead of schedule,'' Cooper said. "And she's only going to get better. I think she has jumped up and opened people's eyes.''

Quote:
Cooper's rookie of the year prediction actually came after an exhibition game against Minnesota in which Sykes took 19 shots (hitting just three). Cooper was stunned by the volume and liked Sykes' aggressiveness. Sykes said she responded, hey, if the shots are there I'm going to take them.

Quote:
"It's just something, you set a goal for yourself,'' she said. "I didn't waste any time. I know I deserved to be in the WNBA. Now that I'm here, I want to reap the benefits.

"It just fuels me. People still doubt. There are doubters, there are supporters. Getting the rookie of the year would be a shut-up factor, a husher.''

Quote:
Dallas forward Glory Johnson swatted away her shot like she was spiking a volleyball, hammering Sykes in the mouth along the way.

A foul? You must be new here.

"It's never a foul. Especially for rookies,'' Sykes said.

Quote:
For much of the season, Sykes was the only rookie on Atlanta. That left her alone to do the work of cleaning up after practice, picking up tape and towels and gathering all the balls.

Quote:
Peterson, Sykes' backcourt running mate at Syracuse, did not play in that game. Sykes said she wanted to hug Peterson before the game but said she couldn't because she'd get in trouble with Cooper.

Quote:
Peterson is s averaging two points and 5.8 minutes played per game as a rookie.

"She's good. I check in on her. She's working hard. She's grinding,'' Sykes said. "When an opportunity (to play more) presents itself, she'll seize it."

Randy

PostPosted: 07/15/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good article - thanks for posting. What is also good to see is that last year's rookie, Bria Holmes is still finding a lot of minutes and playing well much of the time despite Sykes getting some of her minutes. Holmes seem to play 2,3 and 4 depending on what's going on. Though she is pretty small for 4. Cooper seems to be going for small ball a lot.

I have been wondering how Sykes fell to 7. Perhaps her injury history worried some teams. I have to admit she wasn't really on my radar, because I kept looking for players in other positions.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/15/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Cooper seems to be going for small ball a lot.

He doesn't have much choice. With Morello out we only have three post players, and Dantas isn't a paint banger.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

He doesn't have much choice. With Morello out we only have three post players, and Dantas isn't a paint banger.

Dantas is 12-57 from 3 - 3.35 attempts per games at 21%. I don't quite see why she is shooting so many 3's. She's almost 50% from 2.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/15/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

Dantas is 12-57 from 3 - 3.35 attempts per games at 21%. I don't quite see why she is shooting so many 3's. She's almost 50% from 2.

Part of it is Cooper. He gives everyone the green light. In LA he had arguably the greatest post player of All Time and she took 30-60 threes every season despite being a 32% shooter from there.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And my god does Dantas take that green light and run with it. Seems to basically shoot the ball every damn time she touches it.

PostPosted: 07/15/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if a permanent green light was a promise made to get her to come back this season. If she could really hit a 3 30% of the time she would be much more effective.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/15/17 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of them are pretty much wide open as well, because they come off pick-and-pops or ball rotation after the big guarding her has faded into the lane. I actually really liked the new confidence she came into this season with, but all her advanced numbers - PER, True Shooting %, eFG% etc. - are actually at career lows in the WNBA, due to all those bricked threes.

PostPosted: 07/17/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream waive Darxia Morris. Sign Chelsea Hopkins

animals31089

PostPosted: 07/17/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Dream waive Darxia Morris. Sign Chelsea Hopkins

wonder what theyre trying to do already had 11 players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: