RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Texas Tech's New Director of Player Development

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/05/17 7:54 pm    ::: Texas Tech's New Director of Player Development Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I am thrilled to welcome Sheryl back to Texas Tech as our program's Director of Player Development. Candi Whitaker said in a news release. She brings a wealth of experience playing at the highest level and will be an outstanding resource for our student-athletes. Sheryl's passion for our program and for impacting young players will be extremely beneficial for our continued growth. She is a fantastic addition to our staff."

Quote:
"I couldn't be more excited about joining Texas Tech and the Lady Raider program. I am very grateful to Coach Whitaker for giving me this opportunity and I am looking forward to working with the players and staff. My role as Director of Player Development gives me an opportunity to do what I love and help the players develop both on and off the court."

https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/7/5/15925630/texas-tech-hires-sheryl-swoopes-ncaaw

PostPosted: 07/05/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can understand wanting to bring back one of your own to the athletic department but I'm sure they could create an administrative role for that. After her gig at Loyola, I don't know why you would want her working with student athletes.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/05/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I can understand wanting to bring back one of your own to the athletic department but I'm sure they could create an administrative role for that. After her gig at Loyola, I don't know why you would want her working with student athletes.

It depends on how much the Loyola program and it's athletes are respected enough among the premiere programs. If there is little recognition of that program, then there would be little or no attention paid to what has come out of that program.

PostPosted: 07/05/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They've also added Melanie Balcomb to their coaching staff as AC.

PostPosted: 07/05/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was showing signs of mental illness at Loyola, specifically bi-polar. Players saying how she would have wild mood swings and also extensive crying jags. One player said that wherever she is, the drama is. Even if she's had her meds adjusted, and she was defiant, not apologetic after she was fired from Loyola, this is a risky hire.

suemar

PostPosted: 07/06/17 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best of luck to Texas Tech. Seems like she is constant drama and blaming others a lot.

PostPosted: 07/06/17 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suemar wrote:
Best of luck to Texas Tech. Seems like she is constant drama and blaming others a lot.

Eyes will probably be watching her closely. And Coach Sharp isn't around anymore to protect her. Hopefully, her mom's passing has humbled her and mellowed her out a little.

PostPosted: 07/06/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
They've also added Melanie Balcomb to their coaching staff as AC.

This is likely to be a more significant and productive hire than Swoopes.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/06/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depends on what Swoopes's job actually is. It will be whatever the HC wants it to be. She's "in charge" of nothing, so maybe the absence of actual responsibility will minimize any pressure on her and eliminate any need to blame anyone else for anything.

LitePal

PostPosted: 07/06/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If, as I suspect, she suffers from mental illness, a death in the family won't help, it will exacerbate the problem as you add depression to the mix. Even if she's medicated, her approach to coaching was "it worked for me, so if it doesn't work for you, you're lazy and untalented." It goes back to the other thread about coaches needing to change attitudes to stay current.

Working with students is not for her and add to that, every assistant she hired but one also quit. They say she's going to be doing commentary for the TT games on TV which is probably the safest place for her.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/06/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone considered that she may be seeing a doctor and getting the proper medication, if she indeed is suffering from bipolar disorder or some other mental illness?

I thought not.

PostPosted: 07/06/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Has anyone considered that she may be seeing a doctor and getting the proper medication, if she indeed is suffering from bipolar disorder or some other mental illness?

I thought not.

Have you considered that she may have been seeing a doctor and getting the proper medication while in Chicago?

I thought not.

There's no magic pill.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people would argue with a stone fence Rolling Eyes

Last edited by summertime blues on 07/06/17 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
LitePal

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first thing is acknowledging a problem. I'd say the reason she probably didn't see a doctor is because people like you kept insisting the reasons she had problems at Loyola was because of snowflake athletes. It was certainly evident in her exit statement, where she said she did nothing wrong and would do it the same way.

This is a woman who first married to a man, came out as gay, then married a man and then told the world that being gay is a choice. Her professional actions included refusing students their books and computers, not allowing them to leave their hotel rooms on a Hawaii trip and making fun of their playing.

So yeah, I considered she might have gone to a doctor but don't think it's happened. And it's been a little over a year since the Loyola debacle. Can she have improved that significantly in that time under none of the pressure that coaching brings? Stay tuned.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoops was one of the best basketball players. That I've ever seen.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
The first thing is acknowledging a problem. I'd say the reason she probably didn't see a doctor is because people like you kept insisting the reasons she had problems at Loyola was because of snowflake athletes. It was certainly evident in her exit statement, where she said she did nothing wrong and would do it the same way.

This is a woman who first married to a man, came out as gay, then married a man and then told the world that being gay is a choice. Her professional actions included refusing students their books and computers, not allowing them to leave their hotel rooms on a Hawaii trip and making fun of their playing.

So yeah, I considered she might have gone to a doctor but don't think it's happened. And it's been a little over a year since the Loyola debacle. Can she have improved that significantly in that time under none of the pressure that coaching brings? Stay tuned.

During my psych rotation in my student days, I did see some strange things happen, including a woman who'd had multiple-multiple hospitalizations for what we then called manic-depressive psychosis. She scared the living daylights out of me when I first met her, being that she was 6 feet tall and weighed around 250 and was wildly manic (I'm 5'2 and at the time weighed in at 118). When they finally got her on the right combination of medications the transformation was nothing short of miraculous. Not that she was immediately "cured"--nobody ever is--but that she was reasonable, spoke and could be spoken to like any person you'd meet on a normal day, and was basically kind of ordinary (and pretty nice, with a quirky sense of humor). So yeah, it can happen.

A lifestyle change, and the right medication(s) can help. Chamique Holdsclaw is a pretty good example. She is now doing an amazing job as an ambassador for campus mental health. I'm hoping she'll come to speak at JMU soon.

PostPosted: 07/06/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But my question to your question remains: In her behavior and statements before and after her dismissal, does she sound like the kind of person who would think she had a problem, admit she had a problem and then seek medical treatment for it. That last one, medical treatment is the one I doubt most. She has repeatedly said she would not change one thing. If she really were being treated for mental problems, that is not something a counselor would want to hear her say because it's a denial of what brought her her problems, which is herself.

Holdsclaw admitted her problems but that was also after she hit rock bottom. However, Summitt was aware that there were problems when she was at Tennessee. Swoopes isn't there yet, but even if she gets there her own words suggests she won't believe it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/07/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's been a year. She's been out of the public eye until her appearance at the Women's Hall of Fame induction. Let's just give her a break, wait and see, OK?

PostPosted: 07/07/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It's been a year. She's been out of the public eye until her appearance at the Women's Hall of Fame induction. Let's just give her a break, wait and see, OK?

I couldn't agree more. Let's hope for the best ...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: