RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summitt update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Adultery hasn't been a crime for years

Depends on where you are. Adultery is illegal in 21 states including Wisconsin, where Summitt first met the woman he cheated with.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Depends on where you are. Adultery is illegal in 21 states including Wisconsin, where Summitt first met the woman he cheated with.

And in Texas, sex by a teacher with a student is a felony punishable by 20 years in prison and loss of pension regardless of the age of the student. And this isn't some archaic leftover of a bygone era. It's actually a fairly recent new law.

North Carolina has a similar felony that applies to teachers, coaches, teacher's aides, school administrators, student teachers and school safety officers.

There may be similar laws in other states. I haven't looked.

These apply to elementary and secondary schools, but it doesn't matter if the student is 18, 19, 20 or whatever. The notion that sex between consenting adults is never a crime is simply false. There are situation where the lack of equality between the participants means there can never be true "consent". Like in Summitt's situation for example.

Oh, along the same lines, in many states sex between a psychiatrist or therapist and a patient is also a crime. The Wisconsin statute, as an example, specifically provides "Consent is not an issue in an action under this subsection.". The law says there are situations in which consent is impossible, even between adults.

Sort of like coach and player, isn't it.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oh, along the same lines, in many states sex between a psychiatrist or therapist and a patient is also a crime. The Wisconsin statute, as an example, specifically provides "Consent is not an issue in an action under this subsection.". The law says there are situations in which consent is impossible, even between adults.

....and we ALL know that, if it's codified by Law, it's ALWAYS morally and ethically correct. Rolling Eyes

If Tyler did something illegal, he would have been further prosecuted. Like him or hate him, leave your religious perspectives out of it. Yes, he may have touted his "Christianity" in the past, but if that's your religion AND you're acting this way toward a fellow Christian, than all I can say is, take heed of Steve's picture, cuz you're not really *getting it*, either.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

And in Texas, sex by a teacher with a student is a felony punishable by 20 years in prison and loss of pension regardless of the age of the student. And this isn't some archaic leftover of a bygone era. It's actually a fairly recent new law.

North Carolina has a similar felony that applies to teachers, coaches, teacher's aides, school administrators, student teachers and school safety officers.

These apply to elementary and secondary schools, but it doesn't matter if the student is 18, 19, 20 or whatever. The notion that sex between consenting adults is never a crime is simply false. There are situation where the lack of equality between the participants means there can never be true "consent". Like in Summitt's situation for example.

No, it isn't. You are stretching things a ridiculous amount. A coach is not a therapist, and a player is in no way a patient. Get off it.

I am not arguing that what Tyler did was right. Far from it. Y'all are dragging in stuff that is simply not applicable, what is generally called "muddying the waters". Also, the adultery laws may be on the books in 21 states, but they are damn rarely enforced. Even in Alabama, where the governor recently had to resign because of adultery (among other offenses) he was not prosecuted for it, although the law is on the books.

The kid has been punished enough. He's lost the job he wanted to do as long as he could remember, he's lost his marriage, he's had his business all up in the public eye (all through his own actions), and he gets to have people like some of y'all acting like he's the world's greatest sinner ever. I think that's quite enough.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

No, it isn't. You are stretching things a ridiculous amount. A coach is not a therapist, and a player is in no way a patient. Get off it.

I am not arguing that what Tyler did was right. Far from it. Y'all are dragging in stuff that is simply not applicable, what is generally called "muddying the waters". Also, the adultery laws may be on the books in 21 states, but they are damn rarely enforced. Even in Alabama, where the governor recently had to resign because of adultery (among other offenses) he was not prosecuted for it, although the law is on the books.

The kid has been punished enough. He's lost the job he wanted to do as long as he could remember, he's lost his marriage, he's had his business all up in the public eye (all through his own actions), and he gets to have people like some of y'all acting like he's the world's greatest sinner ever. I think that's quite enough.

I notice you conveniently ignored the laws criminalizing sex between teachers and adult students. Ahhh, what's twenty years in jail after all. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Your position is completely indefensible As was his conduct. Get over it.

Any consequences he's suffered are no one's fault but his own.
He should have kept his zipper up.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I notice you conveniently ignored the laws criminalizing sex between teachers and adult students. Ahhh, what's twenty years in jail after all. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Oh, and he needs to just keep his mouth shut and go away. Nobody needs to hear how miserable he has made his own life. Boo hoo.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/03/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Oh, and he needs to just keep his mouth shut and go away. Nobody needs to hear how miserable he has made his own life. Boo hoo.

I looked it up, Art. That's HIGH SCHOOL teachers, and they are talking about students who may have already turned 18. You really ought to look up what you're throwing around before you throw it. You continue to drag in stuff that isn't applicable. Tyler is aware that he f***ed up and he's dealing with the consequences.

Don't you have a splinter in your own eye that you ought to be examining?

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading is fundamental. You should try it some time. Would have saved you a lot if time. As usual, I was way ahead of you.

ArtBest23 wrote:

The age of the student is irrelevant in these statutes and the crime includes sex with ADULT students. And the therapist laws include adults as well. There are lots and lots of laws making sex between consenting adults crimes.

As I said, your position is indefensible. You claimed:
summertime blues wrote:
Adultery hasn't been a crime for years.

You are 100% wrong. You should just stop now.

YankeeVol

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HIs "trained like a soldier" comment was telling. What a great way to get out of a career and a marriage that you never really wanted: commit a violation of such magnitude that you can't stay in it. Rather than grapple with these issues like a real adult, you just drop a grenade into the middle of your life (and other people's) and let the pieces fall where they may.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Reading is fundamental. You should try it some time. Would have saved you a lot if time. As usual, I was way ahead of you.

ArtBest23 wrote:

The age of the student is irrelevant in these statutes and the crime includes sex with ADULT students. And the therapist laws include adults as well. There are lots and lots of laws making sex between consenting adults crimes.

As I said, your position is indefensible. You claimed:
summertime blues wrote:
Adultery hasn't been a crime for years.

You are 100% wrong. You should just stop now.

About that splinter......

PostPosted: 07/03/17 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
There are lots and lots of laws making sex between consenting adults crimes.

The only law relevant to this topic would be a Louisiana law that makes consensual sex between an adult college coach and an adult member of his team a crime. There is no such law. Louisiana's law prohibiting sexual conduct between an educator and a student expressly does not apply to colleges or universities.

Neither Summitt nor the unidentified girlfriend ever admitted to a sexual relationship, nor did LaTech officially accuse him of that. Summitt admitted to "engaging in a relationship that has negatively affected the people I love, respect and care about the most." The woman most often suspected of being in the relationship was 22 years and five months old at the time Summitt resigned in April 2016.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/03/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
There are lots and lots of laws making sex between consenting adults crimes.

The only law relevant to this topic would be a Louisiana law that makes consensual sex between an adult college coach and an adult member of his team a crime. There is no such law. Louisiana's law prohibiting sexual conduct between an educator and a student expressly does not apply to colleges or universities.

Neither Summitt nor the unidentified girlfriend ever admitted to a sexual relationship, nor did LaTech officially accuse him of that. Summitt admitted to "engaging in a relationship that has negatively affected the people I love, respect and care about the most." The woman most often suspected of being in the relationship was 22 years and five months old at the time Summitt resigned in April 2016.

Since no one has proposed that Summitt should be criminally prosecuted, that's a pretty hollow strawman you've erected to shoot at. But that is far from being the "only relevant law."

First, the position has been presented that adultery is never a crime. That is patently untrue and demonstrating beyond cavil the falsity of that foundation is certainly relevant.

Second, you have attempted to minimize the seriousness of the conduct by mischaracterizing it as a simple "sexual indiscretion" while attempting to ignore the relative positions of the two persons. I can understand why you keep trying, but it's certainly disingenuous to ignore that this was a male college coach screwing his female college student player. Just keep reminding yourself of the actual facts.

That the legislators have chosen to make a felony only sex between faculty and high school or younger students, does not mean they have given their blessing to affairs with college students. It only means it's not criminalized. But the student sex crimes, and the therapist crimes, are strong examples of the reality that in civilized society, taking advantage of a position of power and control - such as that possessed by a college coach vis his players - is universally condemned.

Which of course is exactly why Summitt had no choice but to promptly resign when he got caught with his pants down. If it was just fun and games as you pretend, he'd still be coaching at LaTech.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/04/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My position has been clear. I don't believe a coach or college teacher should have a sexual relationship with a student or player. I believe strongly in the Roman Catholic moral code, and in this thread have called both Summitt and the woman sinners and have stated it was appropriate that Summitt be removed from his coaching position at LaTech.

It's just that I find all this discussion about legal victims, felonies and crimes to be overblown and irrelevant, and I further believe in forgiveness and redemption. Therefore, I don't advocate for a lifetime ban on a coaching career for Summitt.
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/04/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guys is douche, like so many other douches out there. He's irrelevant now. Doubtful he ever gets another chance to coach women's college basketball and I hope he doesn't. Was he even that good a coach?

Fungai

PostPosted: 07/15/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article is an attempt to spin the event in Tyler's favor. At the time the news broke, it was stated that the young lady was pregnant. Apparently she never had the baby. The 2 most likely reasons, abortion or miscarriage. A person who murdered his kids could also honestly say he is not a father.

The real question to be answered was did you impregnate the young lady? If she was never pregnant he would have stated that. Saying I am not a father is a way avoiding a lie and encouraging people to think she was never pregnant, as several people here have bought into.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/15/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fungai wrote:
The article is an attempt to spin the event in Tyler's favor. At the time the news broke, it was stated that the young lady was pregnant. Apparently she never had the baby. The 2 most likely reasons, abortion or miscarriage. A person who murdered his kids could also honestly say he is not a father.

The real question to be answered was did you impregnate the young lady? If she was never pregnant he would have stated that. Saying I am not a father is a way avoiding a lie and encouraging people to think she was never pregnant, as several people here have bought into.

It might appear YOU may have 'bought into' some $hit of your own. You might be new here, but you'll quickly want to learn that making statements like that above either should be substantiated with sources or quotes, or....don't make them! Wink

PostPosted: 07/16/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Fungai wrote:

It might appear YOU may have 'bought into' some $hit of your own. You might be new here, but you'll quickly want to learn that making statements like that above either should be substantiated with sources or quotes, or....don't make them! Wink

Why? What he said is completely accurate.

He said 1) Summitt never denied knocking up the girl.
2) he simply denied being a father.
3) that leaves entirely on the table the possibility he DID knock up the girl, but one way or another she didn't bear the child
4) it's an unusual phraseology "I am not a father" rather than simply saying " I did not impregnate the girl" if that's what he actually meant.

So which of those statements is not 100% accurate?

I'd say YOU'RE the one making Grand Canyon sized leaps in order to reach your preferred conclusion. The reality is that, as Fungai said, he's never denied knocking up that girl. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but his propoganda article didn't move the needle on that question at all in either direction.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/16/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how whether she was ever pregnant, or had a miscarriage or abortion, is even relevant. He shouldn't have had the affair with her in the first place, period. Leave the girl alone and quit dragging her through the mud.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think his dodge goes beyond that. It's downright Trumpian in skirting the real subject. When he leaves it at "what transpired did not result in him becoming a father" he not only is saying she didn't have a baby, and suggesting she wasn't even pregnant (without actually denying that she was), he's even ducking the basic question and leaving an opening for his supporters to deny he ever even had an affair. Heck, right here in this thread a Summitt cultist says "You don't even know if they had sex.". He's just trying to fog the issue to give his supporters room to claim nothing happened. Sure it didn't. Rolling Eyes

He resigned, but I don't think he's ever actually admitted doing anything wrong. He's never explained what "transpired".

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/16/17 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He said that he had an "inappropriate relationship." Are you expecting the details of their trysts? Seriously? The internet gossip about the girl at the time was so bad that she posted a photo of herself online showing she was not pregnant. It's been over a year since this happened. Let it go.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/16/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think his dodge goes beyond that. It's downright Trumpian in skirting the real subject. When he leaves it at "what transpired did not result in him becoming a father" he not only is saying she didn't have a baby, and suggesting she wasn't even pregnant (without actually denying that she was), he's even ducking the basic question and leaving an opening for his supporters to deny he ever even had an affair. Heck, right here in this thread a Summitt cultist says "You don't even know if they had sex.". He's just trying to fog the issue to give his supporters room to claim nothing happened. Sure it didn't. Rolling Eyes

He resigned, but I don't think he's ever actually admitted doing anything wrong. He's never explained what "transpired".

He doesn't have to, just to satisfy YOUR prurient curiosity. Neither does she. Who the hell are you, God? Nancy Grace? Give it up already. We all know you hate Tyler, isn't that enough? Now leave it alone and find something else to obsess about.

Last edited by summertime blues on 07/16/17 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bucks4now

PostPosted: 07/16/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
He said that he had an "inappropriate relationship." Are you expecting the details of their trysts? Seriously? The internet gossip about the girl at the time was so bad that she posted a photo of herself online showing she was not pregnant. It's been over a year since this happened. Let it go.

Actually that is not correct, The player that posted her picture was the team mate that transferred with her.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/16/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Actually that is not correct, The player that posted her picture was the team mate that transferred with her.

That's right. Two players transferred from Marquette to LaTech. So everybody assumed Tyler had an affair with one of them. One denied having an affair with Tyler and posted a picture of her flat abs. The other player essentially disappeared from public view, so now everyone assumes she was the girlfriend.

I also agree with FrozenLV that the situation is made neither worse nor better if the supposed girlfriend was impregnated or not.

In addition, I recall no credible evidence that the supposed girlfriend was ever pregnant. The entire "story" on that was an anonymously sourced, National Enquirer-ish headline by Swish Appeal and one sentence in the body, which other internet sites mindlessly repeated. No news organization, to my recollection, ever reported any definite source with actual knowledge of the facts.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/16/17 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops, sorry about the picture misinformation. Sad

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/16/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

You're complaining to the wrong person. I think everyone had long ago "let it go" until he thrust himself back into the public eye by encouraging or cooperating with this ridiculous "oh life is so tough for me but I'm persevering with mommy's money" puff piece. I think the public other than the Cult of Pat would much prefer he just disappear and never be heard from again.

I promise never to bring him up again as long as he and his cultists just shut up about him. But if he wants to give bullshit interviews like this one, and keep himself as a public figure, I reserve the right to rip him again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: