RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summitt update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/01/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

She wasn't his paramour, she's his baby mama.

He did NOT knock her up, contrary to what you want to believe. Go read the article. You don't even know if they had sex. Neither does anyone else except them.

PostPosted: 07/01/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:
He was married and he didn't just have an affair, he knocked her up. If you want to have sympathy for someone, why not feel sorry for his ex-wife who had this situation splashed on the front pages, through no fault of hers.

He did NOT knock her up, contrary to what you want to believe. Go read the article. You don't even know if they had sex. Neither does anyone else except them.

We don't know that either. According to Tyler, he is not a father.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/01/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
What Tyker Summitt did is not much different from what Bill Clinton did with Monica Lewinsky

What Tyler Summitt did isn't much different from a 22 year old high school teacher having sex with an 18 year old female student. Tyler's paramour was a college freshman.

Sophomore, or redshirt frosh. Not freshman. She'd already completed at least her freshman year at Marquette.

Anyway, there's some difference between being young and exceedingly stupid, and old and abusive.

The age of the coach is irrelevant.

My problem lies less in Tyler than in those that claim to be close to the program. Three or so years ago they were telling everyone that he was trained from birth to coach, was mature beyond his years and was ready for his job at L Tech. He was the golden boy. Now, those same "in the know" people are trying to diminish his misdeeds with the excuses of youth and immaturity.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Right.

The way I read it could mean one of five things:

1. She wasn't ever pregnant.
2. She miscarried.
3. She aborted.
4. Part of a possible settlement was that he have NOTHING to do with any possible baby she was carrying.
5. He's lying.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Right.

2. She miscarried.
3. She aborted.
4. Part of a possible settlement was that he have NOTHING to do with any possible baby she was carrying.
5. He's lying.

6. She got pregnant by some other man

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Right.

2. She miscarried.
3. She aborted.
5. He's lying.

I think 4 and 5 are unlikely because anyone could find out whether she has a child and, if she does, ask her who the child's father is.

Since this was a college environment, not high school, the better analogy is a college professor having sex with one of his students. If we had a dollar for every time that's happened, we'd be millionaires.

I also don't recall this being an "abuse of power" situation. That usually involves the man demanding sex in return for doing, or refraining from doing, something to the subordinate -- sex that the subordinate would not otherwise have voluntarily engaged in. As I recall, the young woman voluntarily transferred from Marquette to LaTech, presumably to voluntarily continue her relationship with Tyler.

The baneful effect on the team dynamic would be perceptions of favoritism toward the girlfriend if the relationship were known, not a perception that the girlfriend was being abused.

Since it takes two to tango, perhaps the young lady should be banned from all future basketball teams or from being a student at any other college.

It was appropriate for Tyler to resign or be dismissed, but advocating a lifetime coaching ban is too harsh, in my opinion. After all, in most if not all areas of life, good judgment is mainly achieved by engaging in a sufficient number of bad judgments.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

6. She got pregnant by some other man

Well, that one didn't come to my mind!!!!

Do you write scripts for soap operas in your spare time? Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I also don't recall this being an "abuse of power" situation. That usually involves the man demanding sex in return for doing, or refraining from doing, something to the subordinate -- sex that the subordinate would not otherwise have voluntarily engaged in.

This isn't 1930 any more. You need an updated dictionary.

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Since it takes two to tango, perhaps the young lady should be banned from all future basketball teams or from being a student at any other college.

Sure. Punish the victim. Donald Trump would be proud of your attitude.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/01/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I also don't recall this being an "abuse of power" situation. That usually involves the man demanding sex in return for doing, or refraining from doing, something to the subordinate -- sex that the subordinate would not otherwise have voluntarily engaged in.

This isn't 1930 any more. You need an updated dictionary.

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Sure. Punish the victim. Donald Trump would be proud of your attitude.

One can differ, but I wouldn't call either of two voluntarily consenting adults to an intimate relationship "victims". Both are sinners, he probably violated school rules, but no one is alleged to have committed a crime.

My suggestion was not my attitude; it was a reductio ad absurdum to the argument that Tyler should suffer a lifetime coaching ban.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/01/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a lot of conjecture occurring over the details of a relationship about which we know nothing. Why drag this through the mud again? Haven't these two young people suffered enough?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/01/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of you seem to be willing to believe anything, so long as it casts a bad light on either Tyler or the youg lady.

PostPosted: 07/01/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Some of you seem to be willing to believe anything, so long as it casts a bad light on either Tyler or the youg lady.

I agree, I thought they were in love and to that I say as long as both people are adults then Love is Love.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I agree, I thought they were in love and to that I say as long as both people are adults then Love is Love.

Not gonna go that far, since he WAS married at the time, but the whole "he knocked her up" business seems to be untrue and therefore some of y'all need to knock it off!

PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Not gonna go that far, since he WAS married at the time, but the whole "he knocked her up" business is apparently untrue and therefore some of y'all need to knock it off!

PostPosted: 07/01/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be willing to let Tyler coach wcbb again if it came at least 4 or so years after Pokey Chapman gets a D1 head coaching job. Funny that I don't remember anyone having suggested forgiveness for her.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/01/17 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'd be willing to let Tyler coach wcbb again if it came at least 4 or so years after Pokey Chapman gets a D1 head coaching job. Funny that I don't remember anyone having suggested forgiveness for her.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with Pokey coaching WCBB again, however she hasn't expressed a desire to. Permanent anathema over a consensual relationahip in the distant past seems kind of ridiculous. Of course I suppose there's a certain amount of homophobia involved in her case too.

PostPosted: 07/02/17 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:

I personally wouldn't have a problem with Pokey coaching WCBB again, however she hasn't expressed a desire to. Permanent anathema over a consensual relationahip in the distant past seems kind of ridiculous. Of course I suppose there's a certain amount of homophobia involved in her case too.

A simple rule: Don't sleep with your players.

PostPosted: 07/02/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:

You would think it would easy to understand.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 07/02/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, a good debate and discussion.

Good points made and opinions shared by most of the communicators. It seems that both parties to the affair, so to speak, experienced and received somewhat commensurate setbacks for their roles and each party seems to be making headway, amends and adjustments for their past behaviors.

Therefore, judgmentally, I would declare, "Case Dismissed."

Good Job!

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/02/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

This is a less profane expression of my version of the rule.
LitePal

PostPosted: 07/03/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So he didn't knock her up? It's very hard to tell from that article since it's such a soft soap. A mere mention that he's divorced and his statement that he's not a father. If he wants to set the record straight in an article, I can see that, but it seemed like a PR move. As such, he's fair game.

Sleeping with a player while married, all the while quoting scripture. There, fixed it for you. Religious hypocrites are the worst so I don't really trust what he has to say now.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/03/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
So he didn't knock her up? It's very hard to tell from that article since it's such a soft soap. A mere mention that he's divorced and his statement that he's not a father. If he wants to set the record straight in an article, I can see that, but it seemed like a PR move. As such, he's fair game.

Sleeping with a player while married, all the while quoting scripture. There, fixed it for you. Religious hypocrites are the worst so I don't really trust what he has to say now.

Yeah, the rest of us are ALL perfect. Never mind.

He didn't say he isn't a father. The article states that. Presumably there is factual basis for the statement. As someone stated earlier, it would be easy to find out whether the young lady in question had given birth. It would be a matter of record. And apparently the record isn't there.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
...Sleeping with a player while married, all the while quoting scripture. There, fixed it for you. Religious hypocrites are the worst so I don't really trust what he has to say now.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what he did was a "mistake" and leave it at that?

Actually, the article says he himself revealed that what transpired did not make him a father. It also said he was not willing to talk about what caused his dismissal.

It was a self-serving article and he put himself back into the spotlight, only trying to make it on his terms. He could either come clean or he could have kept quiet. Instead it became a "poor me" article.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/03/17 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
So what he did was a "mistake" and leave it at that?

Actually, the article says he himself revealed that what transpired did not make him a father. It also said he was not willing to talk about what caused his dismissal.

It was a self-serving article and he put himself back into the spotlight, only trying to make it on his terms. He could either come clean or he could have kept quiet. Instead it became a "poor me" article.

Your interpretation.

What do you want it to be, a crime? Adultery hasn't been a crime for years. And although it's a sin, what Jesus said was "Go, and sin no more."

Jesus also said, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Maybe you ought to think about that while you're throwing the Jesus pic around,

(Sorry, Queenie. I'll stop now.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: