RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/17 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
A question, not a pointed comment: Why do you think Cambage will play in the W next year?

Just look through the Dallas thread for that discussion.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/28/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Thomas is 6-2, 185 lbs while Williams is 5-11 and probably around 170. Alyssa is very much a power player who pushes people around. Gabby relies on her quickness and leaping ability. Thomas is used as a 3/4. Even though Gabby has been converted to a post by Geno, she's more likely to be a 2/3 at the next level. Yes, she doesn't shoot 3's yet. However, there are a lot of players who shoot 3s and mostly miss them. Do they command any more respect from the defense? As long as Gabby can make mid-range jumpers she'll be fine. It's the Danielle Robinson argument. While some fans continue to criticize DR, I think she is highly regarded around the league. Gabby didn't take a ton of midrange shots, but it was more than the previous year and they seemed to go in at a decent rate. Let's hope she takes another step forward this season.

In fairness to myself, when I made the original post, Alyssa Thomas had basically never played the 4 in the WNBA. It was a mobile, athletic wing who couldn't shoot to save her life outside 5ft. All those weeks ago it was closer Wink.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Thomas is 6-2, 185 lbs while Williams is 5-11 and probably around 170. Alyssa is very much a power player who pushes people around. Gabby relies on her quickness and leaping ability. Thomas is used as a 3/4. Even though Gabby has been converted to a post by Geno, she's more likely to be a 2/3 at the next level. Yes, she doesn't shoot 3's yet. However, there are a lot of players who shoot 3s and mostly miss them. Do they command any more respect from the defense? As long as Gabby can make mid-range jumpers she'll be fine. It's the Danielle Robinson argument. While some fans continue to criticize DR, I think she is highly regarded around the league. Gabby didn't take a ton of midrange shots, but it was more than the previous year and they seemed to go in at a decent rate. Let's hope she takes another step forward this season.

In fairness to myself, when I made the original post, Alyssa Thomas had basically never played the 4 in the WNBA. It was a mobile, athletic wing who couldn't shoot to save her life outside 5ft. All those weeks ago it was closer Wink.

I was agreeing with you in concept (wing with no deep ball) while also pointing out that there is a difference in the way they play (power vs athleticism) because of their physical gifts. This will likely be true regardless of position.

PostPosted: 06/29/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Williams at the Sun vs Storm game 6/29/17.

Last edited by Shades on 06/30/17 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 06/30/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happens if CHI gets #1? Will there be the same kind of stumbling that SAN did? Will it be hard for them to figure out that Wilson is the way to go despite the perception that they have enough posts?

They could go from
Dolson/Breland/Boyette/Parker/Harris
to
Wilson/Dolson/Breland/Coates/Boyette
in one fell swoop

I suppose they could try to make Breland into a SF as discussed before, and keep Parker, or there'd be some kind of trade (Dolson?) I think she has spiked her trade value. They could trade Coates, but I'd be intrigued by the notion of Wilson and Coates being on the same team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/30/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Holly called her the best player in the country next season .....Hmmmmm Strong choice of words there . Maybe top 3 or 2 now that DD is gone .

PostPosted: 06/30/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

July 31: Trade deadline, 8:00 PM ET
Trade your good players overstocked in one position for players in other positions or draft picks. I'm feeling it this year.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/30/17 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Holly called her the best player in the country next season .....Hmmmmm Strong choice of words there . Maybe top 3 or 2 now that DD is gone .

Deshields will still be in the draft. And will most likely still be a lottery pick.

Playing overseas could put her out of sight out of mind, but if she plays in one of the leagues with a lot of WNBA players in it, and does well it could theoretically improve her draft stock. I think in the end G. Williams, K. Mitchell and Deshields will be rounding out the lottery with Wilson going #1. Unless someone unexpected (Russell) has an amazing season next year, there is an early entry who has an amazing season (Collier, McGowan, Stevens) or Turner comes back early from her injury and plays great.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/30/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing overseas could be good for DD if she is on a team with some good players in a tough league it could will "help" her to mature a bit.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/30/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Deshields will still be in the draft. And will most likely still be a lottery pick.

Playing overseas could put her out of sight out of mind, but if she plays in one of the leagues with a lot of WNBA players in it, and does well it could theoretically improve her draft stock. I think in the end G. Williams, K. Mitchell and Deshields will be rounding out the lottery with Wilson going #1. Unless someone unexpected (Russell) has an amazing season next year, there is an early entry who has an amazing season (Collier, McGowan, Stevens) or Turner comes back early from her injury and plays great.

You meant in the American college game my bad, yeah she could be top 2, though I'd like to see K. Mitchell kill it next season like she did as a Freshman and Sophomore. And there are a couple of Freshman going into their second year that could outshine everyone.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/01/17 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

You meant in the American college game my bad, yeah she could be top 2, though I'd like to see K. Mitchell kill it next season like she did as a Freshman and Sophomore. And there are a couple of Freshman going into their second year that could outshine everyone.

I think Collier will stay in school, looking at the 2019 draft she has a much better chance of being higher pick.(lottery) Would be nice for my Libs if she did come out early, long arms 6-1 can run the floor well, good shooter as well, only thing she need to work on is her ball handling. only gonna get better and better.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/01/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's why I haven't been unhappy about these recent Liberty losses. Semi-tank anybody? Wink

PostPosted: 07/01/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Only a Tennessee homer would think that DeShields was or is a better player than Williams.

That being said, Gabby's role will likely transition to another position now that Azura Stevens will be playing for UConn. How well Gabby handles that transition will reveal a lot about her All American status and WNBA prospects. But I see no reason to doubt that she will be able to handle that transition and still be one of the premier players in the country.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/01/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing about Williams is that she's a superb athlete, one of the best in the college game, and also appears to be less right now than she will be down the road. Her high school/club career was hampered by her location (Nevada) and an ACL, so there's reason to believe she can improve, and perhaps substantially.

With DD, what you see is what you get: Lots of talent, lots of potential. I don't know if this fits because DD could still become a very good player, but long ago there was a major league pitcher named Denny McLain who won 31 games one year and quickly disappeared. The line was "million-dollar arm, 10-cent head," and that could be DD.

Or not.

I think I'd rather roll the dice on Williams getting better than DD changing her mindset, but you never know ...

PostPosted: 07/01/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The thing about Williams is that she's a superb athlete, one of the best in the college game, and also appears to be less right now than she will be down the road. Her high school/club career was hampered by her location (Nevada) and an ACL, so there's reason to believe she can improve, and perhaps substantially.

With DD, what you see is what you get: Lots of talent, lots of potential. I don't know if this fits because DD could still become a very good player, but long ago there was a major league pitcher named Denny McLain who won 31 games one year and quickly disappeared. The line was "million-dollar arm, 10-cent head," and that could be DD.

Or not.

I think I'd rather roll the dice on Williams getting better than DD changing her mindset, but you never know ...

I agree with you a thousand percent. If the Sky don't get the first pick of the draft then I hope they have the second pick so they can draft Williams.

PostPosted: 07/01/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
ClayK wrote:

You guys are crazy if you think Chicago is going to draft Gabby over DD

Or not.

I agree with you a thousand percent. If the Sky don't get the first pick of the draft then I hope they have the second pick so they can draft Williams.

I doubt Chicago Passes up DD for Gabby Laughing , But then again CFO are a bunch of ________ Arrow

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 07/01/17 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 07/01/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think Stevens and Brown will go 1 and 2 in 2019, so if Collier wants to be a top 2 pick it might be best to declare early.
Shades

PostPosted: 07/01/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I still think Stevens and Brown will go 1 and 2 in 2019, so if Collier wants to be a top 2 pick it might be best to declare early.

It wasn't important to Mitchell and DeShields to go the highest draft pick possible, so I'm not sure why it'd be important to Collier who'd be a year away from a degree. Not exactly agreeing with your ratings either. Both Collier and McCowan will likely be over Brown, but I like Brown too.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/01/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ima do lil J-Spoon lol

2019 prospects as of right now my opinion

Katie Lou Samuelson
Asia Durr
Kalani Brown
Azurá Stevens if she doesn't declare early
Napheesa Collier if she doesn't declare early
Teaira McCowan
Sophie Cunningham
Arike Ogunbowale
Kristine Anigwe
Stephanie Watts
Marina Mabrey
Jessica Shepard

Shades

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn Women’s Insider: Now A Senior, Gabby Williams Looks Inward To Elevate Game

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-women-basketball-gabby-williams-20170709-story.html

Quote:
It was a transformational season that saw Gabby Williams evolve from understudy into one of the best basketball players in the country.

Quote:
Yet as she ponders her game and prepares for her senior year, Williams offers some unexpected self-analysis.

"I feel like I was timid at times," Williams said.

Quote:
So as Williams looks to take her game to an even higher level, her critique is fixed on what she perceives as her weaknesses. She needs to improve her perimeter game, she needs to be more consistently vocal with her teammates, she needs to play with more confidence.

Quote:
If she missed an outside shot, she abandoned her perimeter game. If she missed a free throw, she felt dejected. If something went wrong, she questioned herself.

Quote:
she may be the single biggest reason why UConn surprised the country for six months.

Quote:
"I'm actually very happy that we're bigger this year and I don't have to guard the giant guys, the way I had to last year, and we won't be so small," Williams said. "And I think my defense is best when I'm out on the perimeter or I'm out there pressing full court. It was hard for me to do that last year when I've got to come down and bang with the big guys in the block. So I'm very relieved."

Defending in the paint took its toll on Williams, although she never seemed to wilt.

"I was drained," Williams said. "By the time the tournament came, I was used to it by that point. But I was drained."

toad455

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Sky land the #2 pick, they'd be best taking Williams. Atlanta @ #3? All depends if McCoughtry returns to Atlanta.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If the Sky land the #2 pick, they'd be best taking Williams. Atlanta @ #3? All depends if McCoughtry returns to Atlanta.

It Atlanta can land Kelsey Mitchell all of Dreamland will be very happy.

PostPosted: 07/01/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
ClayK wrote:

You guys are crazy if you think Chicago is going to draft Gabby over DD

Or not.

I doubt Chicago Passes up DD for Gabby Laughing , But then again CFO are a bunch of ________ Arrow

You are absolutely right. What am I thinking. I should think with an irrational and illogical mind. I will then blend in with Chicago management. Yeah, that's right.

PostPosted: 07/01/17 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It Atlanta can land Kelsey Mitchell all of Dreamland will be very happy.

If ATL gets #2 or #3 In The Lottery I Find it hard that they Pass On Diamond. Hometown Girl plus The thought of her and Lori Ann Brings So Many Things to Fruition I dont even know where to start. Please dont ask me to neither Laughing They would be A Fun team to watch thats for sure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 4 of 93

Jump to: