Board Junkies Forums

Mo Currie traded to Mercury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 06/28/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
FREE NIA COFFEY

If VJ isn't going to play the rookies, get rid of players ahead of them on her depth chart for bags of chips! GENIUS! Very Happy

pilight

PostPosted: 06/28/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:
You can't tank when you are already tanking. This is absurd.

And people thought Hughes was a crappy GM and coach.

Hard to see them thinking that their 1st or second best player should be traded. Like mytle says, either a trade demand or some severe issues with the coach or teammates. You always get screwed in a trade demand, let alone an in-season trade demand.

Except that Currie was going to walk as a free agent at the end of the season. At least they got a little something for her.

Who would they be using their core on?

I wouldn't expect them to use it at all. Currie isn't so good that she merits a core designation.

That's what you said about Jasmine Thomas.

Jasmine Thomas has never been cored

PostPosted: 06/28/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I guess Mo demanded the trade? Why else?

It has definitely felt like a chemistry issue....but still you would think they could get more for Currie than that.

Why wouldn't the Liberty be interested in Currie? She'd almost be too perfect for them... unless she has locker room issues.

They could have been interested, and unwilling to give anything up.

That doesn't fit the true definition of being interested.

"anything up" meant anything of value. Looking at their roster I would say the Allens and Zaui B. were the likely candidates. San Antonio may have felt that Bruner/Murphy trumped either Rebbecca Allen or Amanda Zahui B, and they probably don't want another point guard at this point.

Last edited by tfan on 06/28/17 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/28/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has to be an april fools joke . Didnt she just leave the merc last season ? Confused

PostPosted: 06/28/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

Hard to see them thinking that their 1st or second best player should be traded. Like mytle says, either a trade demand or some severe issues with the coach or teammates. You always get screwed in a trade demand, let alone an in-season trade demand.

Except that Currie was going to walk as a free agent at the end of the season. At least they got a little something for her.

I wouldn't expect them to use it at all. Currie isn't so good that she merits a core designation.

You use a core to prevent a player from walking away for nothing, as you suggested. Luckily Connecticut wasn't required to core Jasmine Thomas (even though she's plenty good enough to core) so they ended up using the core on Camille Little (very debatable whether she was "worth a core contract"). Connecticut ended up getting Kizer plus a first round pick for a cored Little plus that player from Washington who was subsequently cut, so it was a good thing they used a core on her, whether anybody thought she was worth coring or not.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/28/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I guess Mo demanded the trade? Why else?

It has definitely felt like a chemistry issue....but still you would think they could get more for Currie than that.

Why wouldn't the Liberty be interested in Currie? She'd almost be too perfect for them... unless she has locker room issues.

They could have been interested, and unwilling to give anything up.

You mean unwilling to give up more than the ~nothing that SA got? Shocked

A 3rd round pick is nothing... Shay is a nice backup and Brunner is Who She Play For caliber Confused

Looks like Currie pulled a Jia Perkins and just asked to be traded back to PHO... Idea

Randy

PostPosted: 06/28/17 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odd that a player would want to go back to a team that traded her. I'd be pissed and wouldn't get over it in a season (or maybe even a lifetime) or two.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/28/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Advanced Stats

Code:
Player                  2017 PIE   Off. Rat/Def. Rating G/MPG
Moriah Jefferson        13.2
Monique Currie          13.2       93.2/102.7           14/23.2
Kayla McBride           11.8
Kayla Alexander          8.8
Erika de Souza           8.5
Dearica Hamby            8.2
Alex Montgomery          8.1
Isabelle Harrison        7.8
Sequoilla Holmes         3.7
Sydney Colson           -1.9
Kelsey Plum             -3.0
Nia Coffey              -7.8

Shay Murphy              5.2       102.8/93.2           9/14.2
Sophie Brunner          -1.4       82.6/104.2           3/4.3

pilight

PostPosted: 06/28/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

You use a core to prevent a player from walking away for nothing, as you suggested. Luckily Connecticut wasn't required to core Jasmine Thomas (even though she's plenty good enough to core) so they ended up using the core on Camille Little (very debatable whether she was "worth a core contract"). Connecticut ended up getting Kizer plus a first round pick for a cored Little plus that player from Washington who was subsequently cut, so it was a good thing they used a core on her, whether anybody thought she was worth coring or not.

Jasmine Thomas is more valuable than Mo Currie.

Little was a questionable core, but was worth far more in trade than Currie. That should tell you how core-worthy Currie is.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kiesha Brown: Washington, Houston, New York, Minnesota, Los Angeles, Connecticut, Tulsa

Kiesha was also with Chicago Sky, she was take by Sky in 2006 Expansion Draft.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/28/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gownbago wrote:
Kiesha Brown: Washington, Houston, New York, Minnesota, Los Angeles, Connecticut, Tulsa

Kiesha was also with Chicago Sky, she was take by Sky in 2006 Expansion Draft.

She never actually played for Chicago. They cut her and she signed with New York before the 2006 season.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was a RFA -- Chicago didn't match.

Genero36

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Good god the Stars are so awful at this

Laughing

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Laughing

#FacePalm i said VJ gets the Axe By ASG. Hell this is the worst episode of catfish ive ever witnessed Cool Laughing

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Laughing

#FacePalm i said VJ gets the Axe By ASG. Hell this is the worst episode of catfish ive ever witnessed Cool Laughing

Giving Johnson only a 1 year deal, and this trade make me think she has been set up to fail from the start. Maybe Riley was "strongly encouraged" to make VJ the head coach so agreed to give her a year. So wouldn't be surprised if she gets canned.

Now, the real question is would Phil Jackson take the job? Does Zen work in Texas? Has Texas ever actually made Zen legal?

tfan

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Now, the real question is would Phil Jackson take the job? Does Zen work in Texas? Has Texas ever actually made Zen legal?

Jackson probably cut his own throat when he got mad at Porzingas for skipping his exit interview and put him on the trading block. He isn't as Zen as he used to be back when he didn't suspend Dennis Rodman for skipping an NBA Finals practice to go participate in a pro-wrestling event.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/28/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like someone said "Fuck this, get me out of here!" That deal's so bad I wonder if she threatened to air dirty laundry or something.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jasmine Thomas is more valuable than Mo Currie.

Yeah, it's easy to say that now, but back in December you said exactly the same thing about Thomas as you're now saying about Currie, "not worth coring". I was surprised you said that because Jasmine Thomas was good last year. When you say a player is not worth coring, that means you're willing to let them walk if they wanna walk. That means Jasmine Thomas back in December had the same value to you as Currie today, which is zero.

pilight wrote:
Little was a questionable core, but was worth far more in trade than Currie. That should tell you how core-worthy Currie is.

You're putting values on players based on bad trades in which we don't know the extenuating circumstances, instead of basing it on their play. Little's play last season didn't merit a max contract, and yet CON cored Little and managed to get great value for her (even though it hasn't really paid off yet with Kizer hurt and BJones developing). This season Currie is having a better season off the bench on a seemingly disfunctional team compared to Little who is starting next to Griner and (should be) benefiting from double teams to Griner.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 06/28/17 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix is officially one of the 3 best teams.With this move,the mercury add scoring,rebounding and toughness.Phoenix has a legit shot at winning the championship.

Last edited by zune69 on 06/29/17 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/28/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice.

Still hoping to get some minutes for Turner, but we needed a legit 3.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mo could be one of the better players in the league when she keeps her attitude in check. I remember some years ago, she had a monster game when the Mystics upset Minnesota in an early regular season game. If you watch game film from her Duke days, you could see the attitude come out even in the championship vs. Maryland..some players are emotional yes, but it has somewhat hanepered her career. She started off hot then mysteriously went to the bench..me thinks Ms. Attitude came out somewhere in there. Here's a fresh start Mo, make the most of it.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/29/17 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curry probably asked to be traded and i could see some chemistry issues with the Stars. There might be a reason why Curry was coming off the bench behind Montgomery while she clearly should of been starting

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 06/29/17 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still don't think Jasmine Thomas is worth coring.

PostPosted: 06/29/17 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Mo could be one of the better players in the league when she keeps her attitude in check. I remember some years ago, she had a monster game when the Mystics upset Minnesota in an early regular season game. If you watch game film from her Duke days, you could see the attitude come out even in the championship vs. Maryland..some players are emotional yes, but it has somewhat hanepered her career. She started off hot then mysteriously went to the bench..me thinks Ms. Attitude came out somewhere in there. Here's a fresh start Mo, make the most of it.

I dont think the vice president of the Players Union has an attitude issue. Im sure she knows the rule book so she knows how to get her way .

PostPosted: 06/29/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never seen any evidence that Mo is anything but a great teammate and person. I think any scowl or attitude is totally limited to her on-the-court behavior.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: