RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How exciting would this be...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 06/26/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

before we jump the gun on adding four teams, let's also be real and think that either Dallas or Atlanta might get relocated in a few years.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 06/26/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The irony is there is actually plenty of talent for mass expansion of the league, yet there are players currently in the league who have no business being on a WNBA roster (even if there was expansion).

PostPosted: 06/26/17 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I like the original poster bold vision.

I think in 2020 to 2024 if all goes well my watered down version would be a sixteen team league with 4 conferences. I'm going to list two kind of stars who can man each team in say 2020 and still have a competitive league and I'll throw in a 3rd for fun and a 4th decent player who might still be around to prove that with new talent and better distribution there is plenty of talent for 16 decent teams

North East
NY Liberty (Charles/Rodgers/Canada/Stokes)
Conn Sun (C. Ogwumike/J. Jones/KLS/A. Thomas)
Boston Shamrocks (Hayes/N. Collier/G. Williams/Dolson)
Washington Mystics (EDD/L. Brown/A. Stevens/Meeseman)

Central
Indy Fever (B. Turner/T. Mitchell/Ogabowle (Sp)/Faulkner)
Chicago Sky (Deshields/GloJo/K. Brown/K. Flahrety)
Cleveland Rockers (K. Mitchell/M. Russell/Hill/Mavunga)
Minn Lynx (Moore/Fowles/Plum/M. Williams)

South
Atl Dream (McCoughtry/E. Williams/T. Mcgowan (Sp)/Westbrook)
Dallas Wings (Diggins/Cambage/A. Gray/Powers)
SA Stars (Jefferson/A. Wilson/Coates/I. Harrison)
PX Mercury (Griner/Sims/Bonner/D-Rob)

Pacific
Seattle Storm (Stewart/Loyd/Vandrsloot/Boyette)
LA Sparks (C. Gray/Vadeeva/C. Parker/Toliver)
San Francisco Treat (N. Ogwumike/Anigwe/Clarendon/Nurse)
Las Vegas JackPot or Sacramento Monarchs (McBride/Lavender/Joyner-Holmes/Ionesco/)

You play your division mates 4 times (12 games) all other teams twice (24 games) for a total of 36 team. Division winners get top four seed in the playoffs and home court next four best records fill out 5-8/ So you develop local rivalries and winning your division has meaning.

OK got a little carried away with the imagination game but it was fun

San Francisco Treat! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Team name of the year.

PostPosted: 06/26/17 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A team with both Diamond and GloJo on it, kill me now

caune

PostPosted: 06/27/17 7:12 am    ::: Re: How exciting would this be... Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
..... if this was the WNBA format

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlantic Division:
- Connecticut Sun
- New York Liberty
- Philadelphia Passion
- Washington Mystics

Central Division:
- Chicago Sky
- Cleveland Rockers
- Detroit Shock
- Indiana Fever

Southeast Division:
- Atlanta Dream
- Charlotte Sting
- Orlando Miracle
- Miami Sol

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Northwest Division:
- Denver Gold
- Minnesota Lynx
- Seattle Stormhttp://boards.rebkell.net/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1462479
- Utah Starzz

Pacific Division:
- Los Angeles Sparks
- Phoenix Mercury
- Portland Fire
- Sacramento Monarchs

Southwest Division:
- Dallas Wings
- Houston Comets
- San Antonio Stars
- Tulsa Twist

60 game season (Division rivals meet 4 times, Conference rivals outside the division meet 3 times, Non-conference rivals meet 2 times)

16 team playoffs: (Best of 3 Conference Semifinals and Finals, Best of 5 WNBA finals)

The only back to back games will be vs. division foe

8 team lottery. No team can win the #1 pick in consecutive years.

4 round draft (96 picks overall)

13 team roster (11 active, 2 inactive)

Draft is the week following the NCAA Finals

Training Camp start a week after the draft

Regular Season Scheduling is from (May 1st - September 31st)

Playoff Start (October)

DO YALL THINK THIS WOULD BE A GOOD LEAGUE?

No. It's too much.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do think it'd be interesting how quickly we'd adjust to a 'new normal' of 'good' players/teams and 'bad' players/teams. The problem with expansion is it's pretty hard to tell whether the dilution to the player pool has made a meaningful difference to the overall quality, because you're not diluting evenly. It's not like you're adding a player to the end of every bench for every new team, or throwing them all in a big pot and redrafting. Typically you're having an expansion draft of weak players, and creating a couple of terrible teams who'll take at least two or three years to even become mediocre. So how the hell do you tell what it's realistically doing to the talent pool?

If there was a way to add 4+ teams to the league and even out the players, I don't think the entertainment level would drop that much, to be honest. We'd adapt, and I think very, very few people would stop watching while declaring "the games were so much better before all that expansion!" I think we'd all adapt pretty quickly.

Of course, the main impediment to expansion is finding committed owners who want to put the money in (and continue doing so in future years). It's not really about the players or the impact on the product.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
before we jump the gun on adding four teams, let's also be real and think that either Dallas or Atlanta might get relocated in a few years.

You really want dallas out huh Laughing 2nd year and i think ive witness you post more folding comments about my wings than anyone on the board . We are here to stay get use to us. #WFFL Cool

PostPosted: 06/27/17 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If there was a way to add 4+ teams to the league and even out the players, I don't think the entertainment level would drop that much, to be honest. We'd adapt, and I think very, very few people would stop watching while declaring "the games were so much better before all that expansion!" I think we'd all adapt pretty quickly.

Maybe. When the W added four teams in 2000, attendance and ratings started a slide that continues to the present.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand what appears to be the underlying premise, that more teams in a league makes the league more "exciting".

I have witnessed expansion in every major pro sports league over the years. I don't recall a single instance in which the league became more "exciting" just by becoming bigger. Maybe it was appreciated by and more available to fans in the locations of the new franchises, but for fans in locations of existing franchises or in locations without franchises I don't recall any increase in "excitement". Nor do I understand why mere growth should be expected to improve the quality of the game experience.

Would baseball truly be any less interesting or exciting if the Rockies, Marlins, Diamondbacks, and Rays had never been added? It improved access for fans in those four cities (to the extent there are any, which is dubious for the two Florida franchises). But did it somehow improve the quality or excitement level of Major League Baseball just by adding four teams? I'm sceptical.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what appears to be the underlying premise, that more teams in a league makes the league more "exciting".

It gives you more variety of opponents, instead of seeing the same teams all the time. More teams makes scheduling easier, so the W can put some effort into eliminating back-to-backs. It makes it more exciting for gamblers and fantasy players, who will get fewer days with one game or no games.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

It gives you more variety of opponents, instead of seeing the same teams all the time. More teams makes scheduling easier, so the W can put some effort into eliminating back-to-backs. It makes it more exciting for gamblers and fantasy players, who will get fewer days with one game or no games.

I repeat, would baseball truly be any less interesting or exciting if the Rockies, Marlins, Diamondbacks, and Rays had never been added? I'm waiting for an answer.

That gamblers have more games to bet on simply means there's more volume. It has nothing to do with the league being better or more exciting. Gamblers never have any problem finding something to bet on.

I don't see college fans being upset that their teams spend three months just playing against the same boring old nine, eleven, thirteen or fourteen opponents. I don't see any basis for the assertion that more opponents makes things more exciting. To the extent it dilutes rivalries, it does just the opposite.

And you'll also have to explain your theory that having more teams eliminates at all the dynamics that prompt the league to schedule back to back games.

I think you'll have to come up with some better reasons.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would also argue that the league doesn't need 60 games. The implications of that - that the WNBA is thriving financially, can sell tickets for that many games, that players wouldn't even bother to go overseas because they'd be making so much in the US etc. - would be great. But I generally think that US sports play way, way, way too many games. Especially when you consider that all the regular season is doing is deciding playoff participation/position, not the actual final standings and champion of the season.

Frankly, given the choice, I'd rather see the NBA season reduced down closer to 34 games than the WNBA pushed up towards 82.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I repeat, would baseball truly be any less interesting or exciting if the Rockies, Marlins, Diamondbacks, and Rays had never been added? I'm waiting for an answer.

You do get diminishing returns. IMO, the ideal size of the league is 16 teams. The NBA, NFL, and MLB have over-expanded.

Quote:
That gamblers have more games to bet on simply means there's more volume. It has nothing to do with the league being better or more exciting. Gamblers never have any problem finding something to bet on.

We don't want them looking for other things to bet on. We want them driving interest in the W.

Quote:
I don't see college fans being upset that their teams spend three months just playing against the same boring old nine, eleven, thirteen or fourteen opponents. I don't see any basis for the assertion that more opponents makes things more exciting. To the extent it dilutes rivalries, it does just the opposite.

They do that after getting a non-conference season full of variety. And again, there is a point of diminishing returns. A few years ago in the NFL the Lions played in Cincinnati. It was the first time they had been there in 17 years. That's a sign you've gone too far.

Quote:
And you'll also have to explain your theory that having more teams eliminates at all the dynamics that prompt the league to schedule back to back games.

More available home dates makes it easier to avoid having teams play on consecutive days. Of course the league could avoid back-to-backs now if they really wanted to...

PostPosted: 06/27/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no problem or concern about whether or not the WNBA has enough talent for expansion of teams.

I'm more concerned about finding owners who are willing to invest in a WNBA team and keep it running.

Frankly, I get tired of reading/hearing about which cities should get a WNBA team. A city does not "own" a WNBA franchise. People or groups do. I would be far more interested in which persons should be interested in getting a WNBA team started.

There is also another concern: expansion means the existing teams have to give up a certain player. If there are more than one team expanding in a year, make that multiple players from that same team would be allowed to be taken. And I'm not sure if current teams are willing to give up a player that easily.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Are the cuts from WNBA training camps all athletic defenders who can't shoot?

Almost exclusively.

PostPosted: 06/27/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Quote:

Almost exclusively.

I don't know anything about many of the players cut this year, but we had:

Code:
2017 Transactions

Los Angeles       Weisner, Jamie          Waived
Chicago           Jankoska, Tori          Waived
Indiana           Lucas, Maggie           Waived
Minnesota         Osahor, Chantel         Waived
New York          Gemelos, Jacki          Waived
Atlanta           Jarry, Rachel           Waived
Los Angeles       Ruef, Mikaela           Waived
Los Angeles       Samuelson, Karlie       Waived
Minnesota         Ting, Shao              Waived
Phoenix           Plouffe, Katherine      Waived
Washington        Kraker, Mehryn          Waived
Washington        Malott, Ally            Waived
Los Angeles       Dornstauder, Quinn      Waived
San Antonio       Peters, Haley           Waived
Dallas            Phillips, Erin          Waived
Minnesota         Mack, Moriah            Waived
Phoenix           Alleyne, Jillian        Waived
Atlanta           Knight, Whitney         Waived
Los Angeles       Go, Ah-Ra               Waived
Seattle           O’Hea, Jenna            Waived
San Antonio       Day, Briana             Waived

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Quote:

Almost exclusively.

There are certainly players that fit that bill that get cut from WNBA training camps, but that description doesn't fit a majority of the players that do get cut from training camps.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only way it would work to expand the teams is to redraft the entire league. Even if you say each team can only protect 4 players, I think it will still make it difficult for the lower teams and expansion teams to rise to the top because the top teams, Minnesota, LA, Washington, New York, Phoenix will still have their cores intact.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 06/28/17 4:52 pm    ::: Too Many Divisions Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota belongs in the Midwest. We are a Midwestern State and all our teams have rivalries with other Midwestern teams.

West
LA
San Fran
Seattle
Phoenix

Midwest
Chicago
Minnesota
Cleveland
Indiana

East
NY
Connecticut
D.C.
Philly

South
Dallas
San Antonio
Atlanta
Tennessee

PostPosted: 06/28/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

personally, I see the next four cities as Portland, San Francisco, Cleveland & Tennessee.

EAST
New York
Connecticut
Washington
Atlanta

CENTRAL
Chicago
Indiana
Cleveland
Tennessee

MIDWEST
Phoenix
Dallas
San Antonio
Minnesota

WEST
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Los Angeles

toad455

PostPosted: 07/01/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking today that Steph Curry's new $201 million contract would cover about the fees for 10 expansion teams and every player's salary for the next five years.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/02/17 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I was thinking today that Steph Curry's new $201 million contract would cover about the fees for 10 expansion teams and every player's salary for the next five years.

NBA already subsidizes the W enough. The W needs to market to the right people..look at the following that the show 'Orange is the New Black' has or musical girl groups over the years have had. There is a market, it just seems like they try so hard to sell to the trolls who will never respect women and is like beating a dead horse, IMHO. Getting enough fans to open upperbowls every game would be a step.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/02/17 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the whole business model is wrong. They need to get rid of the salary cap and make this into a league where billionaires compete against each other to buy championships. We have plenty of vain, arrogant, egomaniac billionaires. It might also keep them busy enough to stay away from other activities where they can do a lot more harm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: