72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
Wings
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

great job Wings! ball movement, defense, good substitutions by Pettis!

tfan

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pettis wraps the shawl around her neck as she leaves the court and the announcer notes her "traditional shawl". Traditional for whom buddy?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Pettis wraps the shawl around her neck as she leaves the court and the announcer notes her "traditional shawl". Traditional for whom buddy?

it's a prayer shawl.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wings looking halfway decent these past few games. Sucks for the Sun to break their winning streak.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
tfan wrote:

it's a prayer shawl.

And which religion walks around with a prayer shawl?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/25/17 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Skylar is just a beast, ive always been a fan of her...so competitive wants to win at all costs

Last three games - 16 and 6, 30 and 5, 15 and 9. Shooting better than 50%. 20 assists, 5 turnovers.
At least we don't need to read any more silliness about Skylar having to "prove" herself.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 06/25/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really solid win for the Wings. Could very well be a playoff team.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 06/25/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
tfan wrote:

it's a prayer shawl.

Oh my God. Is this for real? What has this forum devolved into?

Now, I endure not only rampant covert racism justified via tenuous statements in support of the preeminent women's team sports league. But, in a clever new turn, we are gonna make dismissive comments of the shawl worn by Brigid Pettis?

So, referencing a very close friend of mine's daughters situation in the tiny town I matriculated from, prayer shawls, prayer warriors,prayer circles and the like are very common even amongst the Catholics. They tend to be non-denominational as part of a movement to move spirituality to a much more private spectrum not governed by the stringent and obsolete tenets of prior generations. Why the need to attack/gang up upon and ridicule the closely held beliefs of an Asst coach leaves me highly irritated. I don't know a lot about her particular situation, but given her shaved head, my guess is that she or someone close to her has battled cancer. Seems reason enough to resort to some sort of appeal to something more. But her, rather than discuss the game, half of this thread is dedicated to her shawl?

I have an idea, maybe those posters should address the fact that she acted as head coach and was fired up. Mama Taj was fired up and hollering from the bench too. And, Erin Phillips was on the bench as well in fred's absence. Beating the, perhaps, hottest team in the league coming into the evening, may merits more attention Than the fact she wears a shawl.

When I started looking at this thread in 2103, it was so fun to read. It really has degenerated since days of looking at gifs of cats mistakenly sliding out 3D story windows to now, just bitter, mean-spirited posts. It's a sad day when I look forward to a post fromShades above others, due to at least knowing there is content pertaining to basketball that is free of prejudice.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/25/17 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the game. I expected that Dallas would provide a good matchup for CT due to their perimeter speed and ability to slash to the rim. But what really seemed to tilt the game in favor of Dallas was after Alyssa Thomas left the game in some pain for awhile. Her transition play is as dominant as it was at Maryland, and I'm honestly having trouble remembering a player who resembles this degree of scoring ability with no jumper. Yeah, you can probably find some people who could score in spurts purely on layups but this is different. Body control, finish from weird angles, with either hand, through body contact...it's pretty amazing. Her defense is pretty improved too, in my opinion.

Plaisance held her own against JJ, which was also a positive for Dallas. Then you have players like Diggins, Gray and Johnson doing the usual with an excellent contribution from Christmas on both ends, there you go.

As I said after the Liberty loss to CT, CT was unable to sustain that frenetic pace throughout the second half due to fatigue. Getting Tuck and Kizer back will help from a depth standpoint whenever it is when they return. But just the same, as the games condense and fatigue becomes more of a factor, CT isn't going to have that same dynamic edge in pace. And their only real low post threats are Alyssa Thomas and to some extent Tuck. JJ scores mostly face-up and put backs.

I said about two weeks ago that I thought Jewell Loyd had the league's best mid-range game. I think I may have to amend that to Courtney Williams if she keeps it up. Such a combo of touch, elevation and body control. To contest her shot you really have to get up into her space before she elevates. Not an easy task.

If nothing else, each of these teams is an excellent watch. I don't know if it's because it seems like fouls are up and teams can't be physical on D or whatever, but outside of SAS and Chicago, nobody else is a really rough watch. Scoring is high almost every game. It's turning into a competitive, fun season.

PostPosted: 06/25/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
tfan wrote:

it's a prayer shawl.

Oh my God. Is this for real? What has this forum devolved into?

Now, I endure not only rampant covert racism justified via tenuous statements in support of the preeminent women's team sports league. But, in a clever new turn, we are gonna make dismissive comments of the shawl worn by Brigid Pettis?

There was nothing dismissive about it. I complained about the announcer giving no explanation and asked the poster for an explanation. I have never seen (or at least it didn't register) a person walking around with a shawl on their shoulder or around their neck indoors outside of the winter. And I have never had someone tell me that they were carrying a prayer shawl. It's quite natural to ask what and why when you do see one on TV.

Quote:

So, referencing a very close friend of mine's daughters situation in the tiny town I matriculated from, prayer shawls, prayer warriors,prayer circles and the like are very common even amongst the Catholics. They tend to be non-denominational as part of a movement to move spirituality to a much more private spectrum not governed by the stringent and obsolete tenets of prior generations. Why the need to attack/gang up upon and ridicule the closely held beliefs of an Asst coach leaves me highly irritated.

Yeah, let's pretend that asking about the shawl was attacking and ganging up on the closely held beliefs of Bridget Pettis. It seems like you are searching for things to be outraged about.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/25/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
tfan wrote:

it's a prayer shawl.

A prayer shawl ("tallit") with fringes ("tzitzit") is a traditional Hebrew garment prescribed in the Bible:

Quote:
Again the LORD spoke to Moses saying, “Speak to the children of Israel: Tell them to make tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and to put a blue thread in the tassels of the corners.

“And you shall have the tassel, that you may look upon it and remember all the commandments of the LORD and do them…and be holy for your God”

-- Numbers 15:37-40

You shall make tassels on the four corners of the clothing with which you cover yourself

-- Deuteronomy 22:12

Of course anyone can wear any kind of shawl for any reason they want. It may often simply be a sartorial affectation.

zune69

PostPosted: 06/25/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great win by the wings.First game all season I felt dallas had a real balanced offensive attack.All five starters scored in double figures.Dallas has a real chance to reach the all-star break with a 13-9 record.This would put the them in excellent position to make the playoffs.

Wings next 6 games:
Seattle
Atlanta
@Atlanta
@Chicago
Chicago
@Minnesota

Dallas' defense remains a major concern(conn shot 50%)....but what can you do at this point ?.....Just make the playoffs.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/26/17 6:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Wings next 6 games:
Seattle
Atlanta
@Atlanta
@Chicago
Chicago
@Minnesota

They should go at least 3-3. Atlanta's still a mystery and can surprise some teams if they're 100%. Seattle can play like a top 3 team, they've just been slipping lately.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 06/26/17 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Wings next 6 games:
Seattle
Atlanta
@Atlanta
@Chicago
Chicago
@Minnesota

They should go at least 3-3. Atlanta's still a mystery and can surprise some teams if they're 100%. Seattle can play like a top 3 team, they've just been slipping lately.

Agreed...Dallas at worst should have a 11-11 record at the break.

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/26/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
tfan wrote:

it's a prayer shawl.

This is so hilarious how the discussion went from the game to a scarf that a coach who just so happens to be a hard core Yogi is wearing. The tv commentators were correct in that it is a prayer shawl. But is is a prayer shawl for yoga.

Back to the game:

Wings looked much better overall. Spacing was much better and defensive rotations were the best I have seen all season. Hope they can keep it up.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/26/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
tfan wrote:

it's a prayer shawl.

This is so hilarious how the discussion went from the game to a scarf that a coach who just so happens to be a hard core Yogi is wearing. The tv commentators were correct in that it is a prayer shawl. But is is a prayer shawl for yoga.

Back to the game:

Wings looked much better overall. Spacing was much better and defensive rotations were the best I have seen all season. Hope they can keep it up.

Now to take another turn. There was (maybe still is) a court case in Georgia where a school system is being sued for teaching yoga as part of Phys Ed claiming it is a religion. School system says it's not.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/26/17 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins-Smith and Wings moving the ball the last few games, playing a little better defense and now winning.

Very Happy Very Happy

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/26/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
tfan wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
tfan wrote:

it's a prayer shawl.

Back to the game:

Now to take another turn. There was (maybe still is) a court case in Georgia where a school system is being sued for teaching yoga as part of Phys Ed claiming it is a religion. School system says it's not.

Well, Im sure she has her reason as to why she chooses to wear those scarves Besides, the league or her employer does not have a problem with it. Because this is a different situation, we really can't compare a person having an issue with what exercise is being taught to their children.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: