Liberty
63%
 63%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 19

Randy

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

Yeah - we kept on hearing goood things about R. Allen, and trade schemes to get rid of Zealous. Smile Funny that things haven't exactly worked out as expected.

It cuts both ways. Every time we proposed a Zellous trade, fans of other teams would respond, "We don't want your garbage." Razz

NY fans guys didn't make her seem very attractive since they always wanted to dump her. Laughing Shows why we are fans and not actual basketball execs......

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

Yeah - we kept on hearing goood things about R. Allen, and trade schemes to get rid of Zealous. Smile Funny that things haven't exactly worked out as expected.

It cuts both ways. Every time we proposed a Zellous trade, fans of other teams would respond, "We don't want your garbage." Razz

NY fans guys didn't make her seem very attractive since they always wanted to dump her. Laughing Shows why we are fans and not actual basketball execs......

This is highly misleading. Yes, there were Liberty fans who thought we should see if we could trade Zellous. But I don't recall anyone doing so in the spirit of "dumping" Zellous. In the offseason, the likely New York roster for 2017 had an abundance of guards and small forwards. Some of us felt that the team needed someone taller and better at the 3 position. (I still feel that way.)

It's true that fans (myself certainly included) are often wrong in our judgments about basketball players. But the track record of "actual basketball execs" isn't exactly glorious. And I'm going to repeat what I wrote earlier: the season is only one-third over. Zellous has been wonderful lately and I sure as hell hope that continues right through the playoffs. But no fan or "actual basketball exec" can be proven right or wrong if the sample is only 12 games.

PostPosted: 06/25/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are right - I shouldn't have said dump. I should have said trade.

As for fans v. execs - often both are wrong, sometimes both are right. The execs aren't execs because they always right - just right more often than not and probably more often than most fans.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/25/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
You are right - I shouldn't have said dump. I should have said trade.

As for fans v. execs - often both are wrong, sometimes both are right. The execs aren't execs because they always right - just right more often than not and probably more often than most fans.

Yes. Absolutely true. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that fans know more than basketball executives (or coaches). Or that they know as much. Only that assessment of athletes is much more difficult than is sometimes suggested.

The draft in any professional sport is a terrific indicator of how tough it can be to make the right call. We all know of instances where someone who was "can't-miss" turned out to be a bust. And of instances where someone who was bypassed by many teams, or not drafted at all, turned out to be a gem.

PostPosted: 06/26/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

Anyone can score 100% at second-guessing. In all the offseason discussions about Zellous, I didn't see a single Liberty fan saying: "No, we can't trade her!" Nor did I see a single fan from another team saying: "Yes, I want my team to do it all it can to get Zellous."

But let's move away from RebKell. I'm willing to bet that Bill Laimbeer told other teams that Zellous was available in the right deal. And that he proposed trades in which she was involved. I have no information to cite, but my guess is that no GM from the 11 other teams was all that keen on giving up much to get Zellous.

The season is only 1/3 over. Zellous may or may not continue to play on the high level she's shown since Prince and Vaughn went overseas. Rebecca Allen may or may not find her shooting touch. All this could look quite different by Labor Day. But if it looks exactly the same, then I will repeat what I'll say right now. I didn't expect Zellous to play this well and I expected more from Allen.

Wow how quickly a week can change the status of a player Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: