Board Junkies Forums

2018 Draft Watch Update....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 06/22/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
The scary thing with Coates is that she still has the possibility of being the first player to exercise the right to sit out the full year and re-enter the draft. Which would really cement Chicago's 2017 draft as one of the worst in league history.

This _________________ Idea

If Plum and Coffey don't turn it around, SA would be in competition with the Sky.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/22/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think the 2017 draft will go down as the worst in league history. In five years I only see Plum, Davis & Gray still playing.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2 . Dallas Wings 15-30
4. Chicago Sky 20-23
Are the Wings gonna go +6 wins on the Sky, the rest of the way?

3. Connecticut Sun 17-25
6. Indiana Fever 21-23
Are the Sun gonna go +5 wins on the Fever, the rest of the way?

5. Styx 20-24
Because the Mystics sure won't be sucking the rest of this season. They've got some Thibault VooDoo.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two year record only matters if you miss the playoffs.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/22/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'm beginning to think the 2017 draft will go down as the worst in league history. In five years I only see Plum, Davis & Gray still playing.

Imagine how bad it would have been if Davis and Gray hadn't come out. We might really be talking about Stephanie Talbot being ROY.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Yea I said 5-6 before
Now im
Thinking possibly just 3-4 and maybe lady Plum is not one of
Them...

toad455

PostPosted: 06/22/17 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Imagine how bad it would have been if Davis and Gray hadn't come out. We might really be talking about Stephanie Talbot being ROY.

Of course it's yet to be seen what Coates will do in the league, so I won't write her off yet, but her possibly re-entering the draft will exclude her from any 2017 lists. Plum will stick around because she's the #1 pick.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/23/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BIG NEWS: Dan Fleser‏ @fleserKNS 15m15 minutes ago More

Holly Warlick just announced Diamond Deshields is forgoing her final season to play professionally

So Diamond will have that experience going Pro before she enters the 2018 WNBA Draft.

blaase22

PostPosted: 06/23/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

Holly Warlick just announced Diamond Deshields is forgoing her final season to play professionally

So Diamond will have that experience going Pro before she enters the 2018 WNBA Draft.

Should have entered the draft this year!! Don't know what she was thinking.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/23/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess that long letter DD wrote is kind of a joke now

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/23/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Should have entered the draft this year!! Don't know what she was thinking.

yep...her best friend Te'a Cooper transferred so i guess that could of triggered it but who knows lol

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/17 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she didn't want to end up in San Antonio? I still think Chicago lands her next year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/23/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its none of the reasons listed above. Ill just say when people get in your ear sometimes you start to realize the better opportunity for your future security vs your career

PostPosted: 06/23/17 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Diamond gets a good agent I'm sure she can get a big contract overseas. It is a little surprising after her statement about staying in school. I believe she finished her course work at Tenn based on a previous discussions here, so it is not like she is forging her diploma, but it does make you wonder what changed in the last couple of months.

Prince played pro ball before being drafted and it didn't have a negative impact on her draft spot. Diamond is still a likely lottery pick next year.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/24/17 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might help her draft position if she does well, and gets on a team with a respected coach.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/24/17 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Guess that long letter DD wrote is kind of a joke now

Laughing At that age, everything is so meaningful and dramatic... until it isn't.

pilight wrote:

Davis just dropped down to 19.7 mpg. Unless she can pull it back up in Sunday's game, you're going to have to eliminate her from your ROY poll. Razz

PostPosted: 06/24/17 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'm beginning to think the 2017 draft will go down as the worst in league history.

Could be.

When incoming from high school, the college class of 2017 was not considered strong. My recollection is that only three were talked about as potential college All-Americans with any regularity: Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell and Kaela Davis.

If my counting is correct, only four players from the HoopGurlz top 20 ended up getting drafted: #2 Kaela Davis, #7 Allisha Gray, #10 Oderah Chidom and #11 Erica McCall. Many of the 2017 draftees thus came from much lower ranked high school players. In addition, several of the most highly ranked high school players were not available to the draft because of transfers, injuries or other reasons.

Slim pickings.

I'll be interested to see where the All Rookie team members were ranked as high school players.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/27/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those of you who know this stuff.

1. Have we ever had the Diamond situation before where a player didn't enter the draft but then decided to not return to school?

I know Prince left Rutgers early to play overseas but I'm not sure she had finished her degree (she may have)? But I know she did not reach the minimum age requirement for an American to enter the summer previous to going over seas.

Deshields has finished her degree and is 22.

2. Is there a specific rule in place for this situation?

or

3. Could Deshields circumvent the draft procedure and join the WNBA this summer?

Randy

PostPosted: 06/28/17 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering about that too. Or if the rules prohibit it (and probably they do) she might hire a lawyer to take it to court and say she should be allowed to sign with the team of her choice. (Probably not much merit to it, but that doesn't mean she couldn't find a willing attorney.)

I'd say in this case, the WNBA should do what they always do and make up the rules as the go along and let her sign with the Stars under a hardship case exception if she wants to play in the WNBA this season (and is SA wants her.)

Or just hold a 12 team lottery. (Gee - what team would have the lucky ping pong balls?)

Of course, if they did all this - it would completely undermine the draft and make it pretty useless in the future.

blaase22

PostPosted: 06/28/17 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond should sign with the lynx Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so does the rule state she has to be 22 and with 1 year of pro experience ? or just be 22 to enter the draft ? Or 22 to enter the league ? this is some wierd sh*t man Embarassed Surprised

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
For those of you who know this stuff.

1. Have we ever had the Diamond situation before where a player didn't enter the draft but then decided to not return to school?

I know Prince left Rutgers early to play overseas but I'm not sure she had finished her degree (she may have)? But I know she did not reach the minimum age requirement for an American to enter the summer previous to going over seas.

Deshields has finished her degree and is 22.

2. Is there a specific rule in place for this situation?

or

3. Could Deshields circumvent the draft procedure and join the WNBA this summer?

Article XIII 1 (f) of the CBA says "No player may sign a Contract or play in the WNBA unless she has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) WNBA Draft." Since DeShields was not eligible for the draft, she cannot be signed.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Maybe she didn't want to end up in San Antonio? I still think Chicago lands her next year.

Dear god, no. DD is a drama queen who turns the ball over and can't shoot.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Dear god, no. DD is a drama queen who turns the ball over and can't shoot.

Give him a breakfast beer on me for that testimony.
Do I have a witness!

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol im really curious to what every team of their favorite want to draft, someone do a Poll lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: