RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Diamond leaves Tennessee - what next?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/24/17 7:49 am    ::: Diamond leaves Tennessee - what next? Reply Reply with quote

The departure of Diamond DeShields from the University of Tennessee, and hence from its basketball program, merits its own thread.

Her decision raises at least three questions:

-- How will this affect the UTenn program?

-- How does this affect her WNBA availability, right now this season or next?

-- How does this affect her overseas pro opportunities? A big overseas contract, recently offered, could be a possible reason for Diamond's sudden change of heart from staying at UTenn to leaving.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/24/17 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course I'm a long ways away, but still ...

Tennessee is a train wreck of a program that somehow still manages to recruit elite talent. So give Holly Warlick credit on the one hand for getting kids to come there, but I think even a lot, if not most, LV fans would have to concede there's some kind of fire that's producing all this smoke.

And if all this was a transitory problem, a one- or even two-year pattern, it could be ascribed to just a bad mix of recruits, but Warlick's time in charge has been fraught with drama, and at least to me, it's pretty clear she must be held accountable for the program's underachieving soap opera status.

It's never easy succeeding a legend, and Warlick has done her best, it appears, but until Tennessee makes a change, it seems the program is destined to continue being the telenovela of women's basketball.

PostPosted: 06/24/17 10:39 am    ::: Re: Diamond leaves Tennessee - what next? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The departure of Diamond DeShields from the University of Tennessee, and hence from its basketball program, merits its own thread.

Her decision raises at least three questions:

-- How will this affect the UTenn program?

-- How does this affect her WNBA availability, right now this season or next?

-- How does this affect her overseas pro opportunities? A big overseas contract, recently offered, could be a possible reason for Diamond's sudden change of heart from staying at UTenn to leaving.

I've discussed this on another thread but here's what I think.

1. I think Tennessee may actually be better off *without* her and Cooper. This gives them a chance to reset their chemistry without having to plan everything around them and wondering which Diamond is gong to show up. It does put more responsibility on Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell as the seniors, but I think they're quite capable of handling it. There may be some bumpy times with the new kids settling in, but on the whole I think this may have been a good thing rather than a bad one.

2. As for DD's WNBA availability, probably not this season, although stranger things have happened. With her ego, she probably didn't want to play second fiddle to Kelsey Plum.

3. She likely got offered a big overseas contract and either Daddy Dearest or Big Brother told her it was the thing to do. She's been trying to keep up with brother all her life. I guess keeping her word is a secondary thing to her.

I am done defending DD.

PostPosted: 06/24/17 10:49 am    ::: Re: Diamond leaves Tennessee - what next? Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I've discussed this on another thread but here's what I think.

1. I think Tennessee may actually be better off *without* her and Cooper. This gives them a chance to reset their chemistry without having to plan everything around them and wondering which Diamond is gong to show up. It does put more responsibility on Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell as the seniors, but I think they're quite capable of handling it. There may be some bumpy times with the new kids settling in, but on the whole I think this may have been a good thing rather than a bad one...

I agree with this. As I've said elsewhere, Tenn's problems for the past several years haven't been lack of talent or athleticism, they've been chemistry, attitude and effort. Cooper was allegedly told to leave or face disciplinary charges by the university over the fight a few months ago on top of prior behavioral issues. DD is a prima donna whose effort has never equaled her talent. Middleton reportedly left due to conflicts with teammates(s).

Hopefully this house-cleaning means that CHW is committed to getting interpersonal issues off the court, and that Tenn will be a better team for it. I find it difficult to blame CHW, or any coach, for the work ethic and personality issues of the players (unless you want to blame their recruitment process). Apparently Sally Jenkins feels the same.

And no, this isn't sour grapes. I've been saying this for 2 years.

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 06/24/17 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dinkytown

PostPosted: 06/24/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This article makes it seem like Warlick isn't upset with Diamond leaving.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2017/06/23/holly-warlick-issues-cryptic-tweet-after-diamond-deshields-departure/425380001/

Howee

PostPosted: 06/24/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OOPS! (Didn't see this thread at first!) Laughing

Howee wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
I am a HE. I think this may be the big issue here. I think most of y'all are women, and when women get all "pissy" they get all ugly with the trashing of other women: their clothes, fashion sense, hairstyles, how they trim their eyebrows. And since this IS about WOMEN'S collegiate basketball, perhaps that's why there are so many ugly and immature posts trashing other teams/players/head coaches, etc.

Well, "Ouch". Razz

As you know by now, this concept has not flown well here at Rebs. And for good reason--not the least of which is that "getting all pissy" is typically more of a male pastime here. Really. I mean there's a few *pissers* that remain gender-unknown to me, but I'd swear it's mostly guys. Laughing

Conway Gamecock wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
I'm not a woman, but I think that generalization is a tad off-base...

Then you three posters: try to answer this. Why would this poster named WNBA09 claim to "like South Carolina", then state as if its fact that USC has had these "magical birdies fall into their lap" before their first final four? And state it as if its simple fact, when there's zero truth to it? Why call Alaina Coates "slow", when for her position she's as fast as they come?

I do believe the crux of your problem/analysis lies in the above quote:
A: Nothing about the above claims scream "Pissy Female Thinking". It's just fans, THEORIZING. Gender neutral.
B: The claims people are making that you find vexatious are, INDEED, "opinions" but you apparently are sensitive to divergent opinions. Simply call them out as opinions, offer your own to contrast, and any facts to support it. And move on. You're taking it all too personally, dude. Wink

Ladyvol777 wrote:
Tennessee will be just fine this year.

THIS.
In my OPINION, DD has long been overrated, and her upside has not counterbalanced her downside enough to make her invaluable. Piph Prince did the very same thing, foregoing her senior year to play overseas. Didn't turn her into anything TOO phenomenal. Just served her own purposes, and she had that right (and skill) to do as she pleased.

DD is a bit more of a Diva. No more Te'a, no NC on the horizon, etc.? wtf. Take off and do your own thing. God bless her. The Game will not miss her all that much.

PostPosted: 06/24/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interview from March, in hindsight some of these answers are interesting. https://theundefeated.com/features/tennessee-diamond-deshields-delino-deshields/

What do you want out of your college career?

I want to be remembered as a great teammate. And I want to be part of bringing Tennessee back to prominence. I want my name to be behind it when people talk about the Warlick era. What player, what team was the catalyst to that era’s success? I want it to be me and my team.

You were the national freshman of the year. Any men’s player in that situation would have immediately turned pro. Do you think women should have the opportunity to leave college early like men? One and done?

It’s just not smart [for women] right now. … For now, college basketball is the biggest platform, not professional. From what people have told me, it’s a culture shock when you get there. [Women] are not going into a situation where we can make millions of dollars like the guys. We have to fight every day for every dollar we earn. Some of my friends in the league have talked to me about places that haven’t given them all their money overseas, spending eight months away from home in another country where you don’t know anybody except the one American teammate that’s there with you.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 06/24/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee will surprise a lot of people this year. Mercedes Russell, Jaime Nared will hold down the front court with any team. Tennessee back court will be young but have a lot of speed something they have not had in many years. This team will not lose over 5 games and will go deep in the tournament and may win the SEC.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/24/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't she get in a fight with Washington at UNC? So so strange. ? Is will she be happy anywhere.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/24/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
Tennessee will surprise a lot of people this year. Mercedes Russell, Jaime Nared will hold down the front court with any team. Tennessee back court will be young but have a lot of speed something they have not had in many years. This team will not lose over 5 games and will go deep in the tournament and may win the SEC.

Are you using the same crystal ball that predicted this?

Ladyvol777 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
DD leaving has vague rumor status on VN.

It not DD

Considering that TC was DD's BFF and that DD would have to practice and play with the team members that made the video that led to TC leaving, it would be awkward at best for DD to interact with them. So in that regard I think the LV's are better off with DD gone.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 06/24/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Middleton left reportedly due to conflicts with teammates? Is there any more info on this?
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/24/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Middleton left reportedly due to conflicts with teammates? Is there any more info on this?

It was reported by several people on VN who usually know what they're talking about. Middleton was very cryptic about her reasons for leaving but did say it wasn't due to competition for PG PT by the incoming freshmen. She hasn't announced her destination yet either.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/24/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kortney Dunbar tweeted this today:

"Ten women strong. Nothing broke us before, and it won't now. It's time to move on, so get on board or we'll with without ya. #LadyVols"

Does that answer your question? Sounds like there might have been one of those Tennessee team meetings, no coaches.

I admire Kortney. She could have gone a lot of other places and been a star. She could have transferred and has, in fact, been urged to, but she has chosen to stay at Tennessee, spend most of her time on the bench, and contribute where she can. She's a tireless cheerleader for the other players first off the bench to congratulate someone who's made a great play. There have been other players like her in the past. Sometimes they've gone on to become coaches, sometimes they've gone on to other careers. They've usually been loved by the fans and returned the love. They're remembered and cheered just as much as the stars when they come back for alumni events because they're VFLs---Vols for Life. I'm sure you all have them wherever you are.

PostPosted: 06/25/17 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

I want to be remembered as a great teammate. And I want to be part of bringing Tennessee back to prominence. I want my name to be behind it when people talk about the Warlick era. What player, what team was the catalyst to that era’s success? I want it to be me and my team.

I think this quote by DD pretty much defines her. " I want it to be ME and MY team. This has been her primary focus through out her college career. Her over inflated sense of self importance kept her from realizing that to achieve the first two ( great teammate and Championships) she would have to forgo the latter wants which focused on her self above the team.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 06/25/17 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Ladyvol777 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It not DD

Considering that TC was DD's BFF and that DD would have to practice and play with the team members that made the video that led to TC leaving, it would be awkward at best for DD to interact with them. So in that regard I think the LV's are better off with DD gone.

TC is gone due to her own actions. Not anyone else's.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/25/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DD's got her degree and I don't see another basketball year at UTenn doing much for her basketball career. Hence, leaving for the pros seems to make sense for her. I just wonder why she didn't declare for the WNBA draft in April. Perhaps she was just uncertain, intellectually and emotionally, as to her best course at that time.

I suppose she can't get into the WNBA other than through the next draft, although I'm not certain about that. A season with with a good pro team in Europe-Asia would probably be better preparation than another season at UTenn.

If she performs well in such an overseas league, how high would she go in the 2018 WNBA draft? Ahead of A'ja Wilson, Kelsey Mitchell, Gabby Williams and others?
linkster

PostPosted: 06/25/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Ladyvol777 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It not DD

TC is gone due to her own actions. Not anyone else's.

Agree. I'm not questioning that. But from my own experience I doubt that she attacked Nared without some provocation. And if there was provocation then Cooper's best friend wouldn't necessarily be able to just let it go.

ridor

PostPosted: 06/25/17 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turns out UNC fans were right after all.

Like I said on ESPN, Tennessee's 2107-18 season will depend on HW to adjust and fix her issues. Best scenario? 30 wins with less than 4 losses. Worst scenario? 20 wins with more than 10 losses.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

R-

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/26/17 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeShields' departure is probably the best thing for the Tenn program.

This will be the personification, imo, of the "addition by subtraction" adage.

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this rate looks like holly will have more players leaving than returning for next season lets count. Diamond , Tea , Alexa , Jordan , Shaq ...Returning Nared , Jackson & Russell . The rest will be freshmen & first time redshirts. #ThatsAllFolks Embarassed

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
At this rate looks like holly will have more players leaving than returning for next season lets count. Diamond , Tea , Alexa , Jordan , Shaq ...Returning Nared , Jackson & Russell . The rest will be freshmen & first time redshirts. #ThatsAllFolks Embarassed

Not quite. Senior Kortney Dunbar is returning, and redshirt JUCO AA Cheridene Green who may be a big contributor. And Soph Kamera Harris who isn't likely to get much PT.

cthskzfn wrote:
DeShields' departure is probably the best thing for the Tenn program.

This will be the personification, imo, of the "addition by subtraction" adage.

No kidding. The scuttlebutt on VN is that DD quit the team via a short text, and when asked about telling her former teammates responded that it wasn't her problem. No wonder they haven't expressed any regret at her departure, unlike AMidd's.

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 06/28/17 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/28/17 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

...Dunbar, Harris (but of course YOU won't count them). Cheridene Greene who is an unknown quantity as yet. And four *high-quality* freshmen. Gee, how too bad. /S

You sound just like the "fans on the hill." Why not just go sit with them?

PostPosted: 06/29/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

...Dunbar, Harris (but of course YOU won't count them). Cheridene Greene who is an unknown quantity as yet. And four *high-quality* freshmen. Gee, how too bad. /S

Because you are sitting in my spot , And yeah ill count them but lets see how impactful they are . Fall off the hill btw Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/29/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Because you are sitting in my spot , And yeah ill count them but lets see how impactful they are . Fall off the hill btw Rolling Eyes

I am NOT one of them. If you ever read my posts, you know who the "fans on the hill" are...the ones who are never happy, the ones who are always looking for an opportunity to bash Holly no matter what she does. You sound just like them.

I've defended Holly when others haven't, and I'm looking forward to this coming season with interest to see what she'll do with this bunch. DD isn't all that and a bag of chips, no matter what she (or anyone else) thinks, and certainly was just about the most inconsistent thing about the Lady Vols the last couple of years. I defended her for a long time, but no more of that. I finally see that she and Cooper were more than likely the source of the bad chemistry on the team, and perhaps now that they're gone the girls can finally settle down and become a real team. I think Jaime Nared can be a real leader, given the opportunity finally.

Try optimism. You might like it.

PostPosted: 06/29/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I am NOT one of them. If you ever read my posts, you know who the "fans on the hill" are...the ones who are never happy, the ones who are always looking for an opportunity to bash Holly no matter what she does. You sound just like them.

I've defended Holly when others haven't, and I'm looking forward to this coming season with interest to see what she'll do with this bunch. DD isn't all that and a bag of chips, no matter what she (or anyone else) thinks, and certainly was just about the most inconsistent thing about the Lady Vols the last couple of years. I defended her for a long time, but no more of that. I finally see that she and Cooper were more than likely the source of the bad chemistry on the team, and perhaps now that they're gone the girls can finally settle down and become a real team. I think Jaime Nared can be a real leader, given the opportunity finally.

Try optimism. You might like it.

you sound like a bitter basement dweller . I dont bash holly every chance i get hell this is actually maybe my 2nd time ever bashing her so sthu already . You like to go on these rants everytime someone disagrees with your thoughts or opinions. Its a board get over yourself no one cares and no we dont like it Rolling Eyes

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: