RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Smith

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFO

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:37 pm    ::: Katie Smith Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Turasi re WNBA, but last I looked, Katie is the all time women's professional basketball scorer with 7,885. If my research is correct.
Expect Turasi to exceed that total, but let's get due respect to Katie's accomplishments.

justintyme

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:55 pm    ::: Re: Katie Smith Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
Congrats to Turasi re WNBA, but last I looked, Katie is the all time women's professional basketball scorer with 7,885. If my research is correct.
Expect Turasi to exceed that total, but let's get due respect to Katie's accomplishments.

Always much respect for Katie. Her play in Minnesota is what brought me to love the WNBA.

PostPosted: 06/21/17 8:15 pm    ::: Re: Katie Smith Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:

Sorry, the ABL has nothing to do with the WNBA. At least spell Taurasi's name right.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/21/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The very unfortunate misspelling aside--and with only huge respect for Diana Taurasi--I believe that LFO raises an interesting issue. It is characteristic of sports leagues to focus entirely on achievements within their leagues. Nothing new about that. But we as sports fans don't have to be restricted in that way.

I view Diana Taurasi as the greatest women's basketball player ever. But Katie Smith's points in professional basketball matter to me, whether scored inside or outside the WNBA. Indeed, I'd like to see a statistic on who has scored the most career points in women's basketball anywhere in the world. Shouldn't baskets count if scored in Russia or other countries?

PostPosted: 06/21/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Shouldn't baskets count if scored in Russia or other countries?

It woud be interesting to see, for sure. But ultimately it would be fairly meaningless. Statistics like "most points scored" are most interesting/useful when they compare apples to apples. While some leagues like the Russian ones have strong competition, soneone who scored a ton of points against vastly inferior competition could skew those numbers from any sort of meaning. If some advanced statistician wanred to figure out a way to balance the leagues, that could be interesting (for instance a point in the WNBA is worth .9 in Russia, .6 in China, .4 in Korea, or whatever).

With that all said, the ABL was close enough in strength of competition to the WNBA at the time for it to be meaningful in these sorts of discussions.

PostPosted: 06/21/17 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Indeed, I'd like to see a statistic on who has scored the most career points in women's basketball anywhere in the world. Shouldn't baskets count if scored in Russia or other countries?

Yes.

Most points scored in the WNBA is one legitimate statistic. However, another legitimate and more encompassing statistic is who has scored the most points in her entire professional career. Combining WNBA and ABL, the U.S.A. leagues, the answer so far is Katie Smith.

I suspect that if it were possible to count all points scored in all professional leagues around the world, the winner as of now would likely be Taurasi. She's played in foreign leagues since about 2004 and has been near the top in scoring in probably every league she's played in. What other players have been prolific scorers in so many leagues for so many years as Taurasi?
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/21/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Indeed, I'd like to see a statistic on who has scored the most career points in women's basketball anywhere in the world. Shouldn't baskets count if scored in Russia or other countries?

Yes.

Most points scored in the WNBA is one legitimate statistic. However, another legitimate and more encompassing statistic is who has scored the most points in her entire professional career. Combining WNBA and ABL, the U.S.A. leagues, the answer so far is Katie Smith.

I suspect that if it were possible to count all points scored in all professional leagues around the world, the winner as of now would likely be Taurasi. She's played in foreign leagues since about 2004 and has been near the top in scoring in probably every league she's played in. What other players have been prolific scorers in so many leagues for so many years as Taurasi?

For me, every one of these statistics has meaning. That Diana Taurasi has scored the most career points in the WNBA. That Katie Smith has scored the most career points in U.S. professional leagues. And that Taurasi (I'm guessing) has scored the most career points in professional leagues anywhere. Speaking only for myself, it's not worth weighing which statistic is more valuable than the others. They're all of interest.

PostPosted: 06/21/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
What other players have been prolific scorers in so many leagues for so many years as Taurasi?

Cynthia Cooper led the Spanish league in scoring once and the Italian league in scoring eight times. Janeth Arcain won eight MVP awards in the Brazilian league. Tina Thompson probably scored enough in the NWBL to have more US points than Katie Smith, but not all the NWBL stats are available.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that Katie Smith is my favorite player, you know I want her to get more recognition.
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/22/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Smith is one of the all-time greats of the game. In her prime, she could defend all five positions due to her strength and physicality. Her core was unbelievable.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dc5ptfw2idM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc5ptfw2idM

PostPosted: 06/22/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Given that Katie Smith is my favorite player, you know I want her to get more recognition.

She would get more recognition if she were the head coach of the Liberty. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/22/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

She would get more recognition if she were the head coach of the Liberty. Wink

Hey, this is really unkind. Our current head coach, LFO, wonderfully created this thread to honor his colleague, Katie Smith. And now you want to push out LFO so Katie can take over? Smile

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer is such a tool. I'm no Taurasi fan, but at least I can spell the name of one of the premier players in league history's name correctly.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Laimbeer is such a tool. I'm no Taurasi fan, but at least I can spell the name of one of the premier players in league history's name correctly.

Because spelling is the definitive quality by which someone is bestowed toolhood.

Good to know. Rolling Eyes

In my experience, people who judge another person's argument based upon spelling or grammar do it because they have nothing of intelligence or substance to actually add to a conversation.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I admit, I wasn't sure what Natalie Williams's son had to do with the conversation.

We need one of our historians to pull together WBL, ABL, WNBA, NWBL, and various other American pro leagues to give us a definitive answer, for once and for all.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Because spelling is the definitive quality by which someone is bestowed toolhood.

In my experience, people who judge another person's argument based upon spelling or grammar do it because they have nothing of intelligence or substance to actually add to a conversation.

Well said.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Well said.

A. Spelling a person's name correctly is not grammar or even spelling. It's getting a person's name right; this is borderline disrespectful.

B. My 2 statements can be taken as separate statements. He is a tool AND he also doesn't know how to spell one of the league's star's name correctly.

So, no. Not well said.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Well said.

A. Spelling a person's name correctly is not grammar or even spelling. It's getting a person's name right; this is borderline disrespectful.

B. My 2 statements can be taken as separate statements. He is a tool AND he also doesn't know how to spell one of the league's star's name correctly.

So, no. Not well said.

A. Spelling a person's name correctly is not even spelling? Ok, now I've heard it all. Although if that extends to passes to the opposing team not actually being turnovers and bricks not actually being unsuccessful FGA then that does explain a few other things.

B. I'm all about spelling players' names correctly. It's a league we love (well, most of us do), so getting names right is about respect as much as just accuracy IMO. But for all we know his phone autocorrected to a wrong word and he didn't notice it. So, you are making assumptions.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evil Bill has never been a big Taurasi fan. You may recall in 2004 he said he would have drafted Chandi Jones ahead of her.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:

So, no. Not well said.

Not spelling a person's name correctly on an online board is a silly thing to get upset over. Names are tricky to spell and people mess them up all the time. If I had a dollar for every time someone called Coach Reeve "Coach Reeves" I could probably retire. And I am sure LFO's name has been murdered more than a few times on these very boards.

For someone who gets upset every time they feel attacked on these boards, you sure do seem to enjoy tossing out insults at other posters. Nothing that LFO wrote here is worthy of him being called a "tool". All he did is recognize a player who is worthy of respect and accolades. Why was insulting someone necessary in response to such a positive post?

PostPosted: 06/22/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

So, no. Not well said.

Not spelling a person's name correctly on an online board is a silly thing to get upset over. Names are tricky to spell and people mess them up all the time. If I had a dollar for every time someone called Coach Reeve "Coach Reeves" I could probably retire. And I am sure LFO's name has been murdered more than a few times on these very boards.

For someone who gets upset every time they feel attacked on these boards, you sure do seem to enjoy tossing out insults at other posters. Nothing that LFO wrote here is worthy of him being called a "tool". All he did is recognize a player who is worthy of respect and accolades. Why was insulting someone necessary in response to such a positive post?

Dear justintyme--I support your statements and your question. I believe it's not worthwhile to continue. There are people who desperately want attention. They get off on negative attention simply because it's attention.
It's better that the rest of us talk to each other about issues that are genuinely interesting and important.--Bob

PostPosted: 06/23/17 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

So, no. Not well said.

Dear justintyme--I support your statements and your question. I believe it's not worthwhile to continue. There are people who desperately want attention. They get off on negative attention simply because it's attention.
It's better that the rest of us talk to each other about issues that are genuinely interesting and important.--Bob

Now is about the perfect time to recall one of my favorite board moments.

Bob Lamm wrote:
It would be really nice if those who love Shoni Schmmel would respect her enough to spell her name correctly.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=85735&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1288

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/23/17 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are welcome to re-post anything I've ever posted on this board. I stand by what I wrote above to justintyme.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: