View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which explanation is the most likely to explain what's going on in San Antonio
Pre-signing agreement to start Plum but not guarantee most minutes
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
They are cleverly tanking under the guise of confusion
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
They think Plum will get better quicker by starting her (throwing her in the deep end)
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Some injury situation doesn't allow Jefferson to start but does allow her starter minutes
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
They convinced Jefferson that she could win the Sixth Man of the Year award ($$)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Starting whoever does best in practice
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Flipping coins before each game to see who starts
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 50

Shades

PostPosted: 06/22/17 1:52 am    ::: San Antonio Situation Reply Reply with quote

Which explanation is the most likely to explain what's going on in San Antonio?

60-day poll

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 06/22/17 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You seem to have covered all the bases, but none of them seem plausible. This one is a real head scratcher.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 06/22/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Um. They suck. Like the Sun last year, new coaching staff, new GM, new players, injured players. Inexperience. There is no "situation" going on. Just a young brand new team that might as well be called an expansion team that's trying to find its way.

Angus24

PostPosted: 06/22/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SAS has a lot of talented players but very little team chemistry which only comes with consistent lineups rather than wild and different lineups every game and throughout the games. Maybe Ruth will decide she has seen enough and take over about mid season. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see VJ managing a team like she has so far.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/22/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
SAS has a lot of talented players but very little team chemistry which only comes with consistent lineups rather than wild and different lineups every game and throughout the games. Maybe Ruth will decide she has seen enough and take over about mid season. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see VJ managing a team like she has so far.

Maybe you could detail what you're unhappy about.
What's your starting lineup and minute distribution?
I think if Plum would ever start out with a hot hand, she might earn more minutes, but she looks like a typical non-elite level rookie guard who gets schooled by the vets.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/22/17 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biggest concern I have seen with Plum is that her handles are not very good. She gets turned over pretty often. Of course, that has happened to a lot of players. I used to cheer when Clarendon came into the game as a rook for the Fever because our guards would steal her blind. She has gotten a lot better so probably Plum can as well.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/22/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One problem is the inconsistency and demonstrated competence of Hamby. Not a good free throw shooter but she plays hard.

Let's face it Lady Plum has sucked badly. She's a hard worker and doesn't quit, but her skills right now are not up to WNBA standards.

No really good strong big. With a Griner type player, this team could win.

Besides Jefferson, Currie, McBride and maybe Harrison, they really don't have any scorers. Currie's playing the best ball she's ever played in the WNBA the last two years and Jefferson (besides Bird) is the best PG on the planet right now, even with a bum wheel.

The bench is comprised of basically mediocre players who play hard but aren't going to win games for them.

They've been in most of their games but just don't have enough talent to get over the hump.

I think VJ is doing a great job, for what she has to work with and what she needs to do. Dan Hughes created this mess.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/22/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Biggest concern I have seen with Plum is that her handles are not very good. She gets turned over pretty often. Of course, that has happened to a lot of players. I used to cheer when Clarendon came into the game as a rook for the Fever because our guards would steal her blind. She has gotten a lot better so probably Plum can as well.

There is something REALLY off between Plum and her teammates. I seriously hope a trade can be worked out so Plum can really start to play her game. Right now, she's simply not able to because her teammates don't want her on the floor. Quite simply, this is an epic fail and not a good start for Ruth Riley.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 06/22/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

There is something REALLY off between Plum and her teammates. I seriously hope a trade can be worked out so Plum can really start to play her game. Right now, she's simply not able to because her teammates don't want her on the floor. Quite simply, this is an epic fail and not a good start for Ruth Riley.

Are you glad that WAS dodged the rumored #6 in 2017 plus first round in 2018 for Plum bullet.... or do you think Thibault could do something with her?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/22/17 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Has this been stated by a teammate or a source or are you judging from the television ?

PostPosted: 06/22/17 3:12 pm    ::: Plum Reply Reply with quote

I heard San Antonio tried to move her for a big (Chicago's Coates) around draft time but pulled out before the deal became final. Although the fit was (is) not good in San Antonio, I had hoped Plum could contribute thanks to her shooting prowess. So far, that has not been the case and as #1 picks go, she is failing badly for reason already mentioned by others.

Other than Dallas's Gray, no rookie is doing anything particularly special so it is not like the Stars really overlooked a whole lot of players. In the WNBA, one key to success is having the top pick in the right draft (not 2017; 2018 looks much better).

It does not take a genius to realize Jefferson is so much better than Plum. Only orders of restricted minutes (talk of bad knee) might limit Jefferson's minutes in favor of Plum. Otherwise either Plum has something in her contract putting her ahead of Jefferson or San Antonio leadership is pretty dumb (and I doubt that). Plum's trade value currently is below 2018 first round pick (at least in my opinion).

From my sources, the word is Plum was pretty cocky coming into the season but now (as might be expected) is searching for a way to be a respectable player in the league. I have heard she is a hard worker and will give it her all to make it as a WNBA player.

Currently, she has a long way to go to overcome the various issues already outlined as holding her back. The league may need to be inventive to get her on the All-rookie (top 5) team. I wish the league would stop promoting her as it is embarrassing to both WNBA and Kelsey Plum.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voted un-cleverly and utter-confusion Embarassed

MoJ - KMcB - MoC - Hamby - KAlex , would have been a solid continuity line-up.
Rookie -- 1/2 injured -- Solid -- 1/4 Preg -- 6th , should have shown improvement from last year.

Colson - Plum - AMont - Harrison - DeSouza , and the #5 pick.
Same -- even injured is > notPlum -- Same -- Most Improved candidate -- better than retired

So instead of being a .350 to .400 team , it is what it is.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Has this been stated by a teammate or a source or are you judging from the television ?

No. It's just the usual Rebkellian "know-it-alls" on here who don't know sh** but pretend they do.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:37 pm    ::: Re: Plum Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
From my sources, the word is Plum was pretty cocky coming into the season

Oh, and here's another. "....my sources".

You related to Nerd2?

PostPosted: 06/22/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

No. It's just the usual Rebkellian "know-it-alls" on here who don't know sh** but pretend they do.

MIRROR

~rAf
toad455

PostPosted: 06/22/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still wonder what Plum would be producing with a better team and a more seasoned coach.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/22/17 8:22 pm    ::: Re: Plum Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
BobScoutingReport wrote:

You related to Nerd2?

I don't know if he's related to Nerd2, but I do know he's been reporting on women's basketball for as long as there's been a WNBA (and possibly longer). I believe that he has sources that are telling him this.

Now, whether those sources are themselves informed, or have agendas of their own, might be another issue.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know before the season us cellar dwellers came up with tons of trades for the #1, I'm curious what was actually on the table, and does SA regret not pulling the trigger?

I like Plum and still think she can turn it around. I kind of hope she could get traded though I don't like the fit in SA unless she is coming off the bench at the 1 and the 2, but I think she would work better somewhere else. Somewhere with a bigger more defensive guard at the 2 or the 1 depending on how you use Plum, and someone with a clearer system and maybe some vets. Seattle, Minnesota, NY, LA I think would all be great landing spots for Plum. Backing up Sloot and Cappie might have worked as well after Chicago lost Faulkner. If Kelsey can start to show better and recoup some trade value i hope SA pulls the trigger.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/23/17 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:

From my sources, the word is Plum was pretty cocky coming into the season but now (as might be expected) is searching for a way to be a respectable player in the league. I have heard she is a hard worker and will give it her all to make it as a WNBA player.

Is that the perception of your source from seeing how she was, or is that how the team (players, coaches, management) actually felt.

I've heard Kelsey can come off as a cocky person, but that is not who she is and once you get to know her as a person you see it's not who she is. So it will be interesting that is the players perception of her now, if it will change by time the season has ended.

sigur3

PostPosted: 06/23/17 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I know before the season us cellar dwellers came up with tons of trades for the #1, I'm curious what was actually on the table, and does SA regret not pulling the trigger?

I have it on good authority that Plum and/or Coffey were almost dealt to Chicago in exchange for Coates/whomever at various points in the evening. What I know for certain is that Coates was drafted to be traded, not kept; after the Plum deal fell through, Stocks tried trading her to several other teams, but no one bit.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/23/17 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I have it on good authority that Plum and/or Coffey were almost dealt to Chicago in exchange for Coates/whomever at various points in the evening. What I know for certain is that Coates was drafted to be traded, not kept; after the Plum deal fell through, Stocks tried trading her to several other teams, but no one bit.

I wonder who the whomever was? Plum and Coffey for Coates and Copper (or #1 and #5 for #2 and Copper), before the season (knowing what we know now) that would have made sense for both teams. It could also explain Stocks praise of Copper "Star developing in front of our eyes" as a little bit of a diss to SA.

Jefferson/Colson
McBride/Montgomery/Holmes
Currie/Copper
Harrison/Hamby
Alexander/Coates/De Souza

Vandersloot/Plum/Epps
Pondexter/Quigley
Young/Laney or S. Copper
Breland/Coffey/Parker
Dolson/Boyette

Those teams make a lot more sense

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/23/17 5:06 am    ::: Re: Plum Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
BobScoutingReport wrote:

You related to Nerd2?

I got a cocky/arrogant/swag (take your pick) vibe just from watching her play early on and seeing her attempt to and largely fail to dominate the ball and score. Couple that with what info has been out there in articles and such, I think it's pretty obvious. I think Bob is totally on point because I've thought the same just from watching.

Long-term it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Plum is clearly driven and highly competitive, which seems to fuel her emotion on the floor. She worked to get better on the NCAA level. She is likely to do the same on the WNBA level eventually.

PostPosted: 06/23/17 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I like Plum and still think she can turn it around. I kind of hope she could get traded though I don't like the fit in SA unless she is coming off the bench at the 1 and the 2, but I think she would work better somewhere else. Somewhere with a bigger more defensive guard at the 2 or the 1 depending on how you use Plum, and someone with a clearer system and maybe some vets. Seattle, Minnesota, NY, LA I think would all be great landing spots for Plum. Backing up Sloot and Cappie might have worked as well after Chicago lost Faulkner. If Kelsey can start to show better and recoup some trade value i hope SA pulls the trigger.

Pokey has done quite well developing guards. Indiana might be a great spot for her.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/23/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Antonio is going nowhere, but they are one of the few teams that is drawing as well this year as last. If they are going to lose anyway at least play someone who is personable and may be able to improve. I would actually like to see the Stars play McBride, Jefferson and Plum together, with MoJo at the point, but face it, this year is a total loss so try to be a fun team to watch and hope that Aja is in your future.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/23/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Stars are facing a possible winless season, in addition to the worst WNBA season in history.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: