Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/27/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think Gabby will be an outstanding pro...but do think she needs to work on extending her range.

This is my biggest concern with her, as well. In 3 years at UConn, she is 1-7 from 3 (1-6 this past season). Interested to see how that develops this upcoming season.

Gabby has below average shooting touch from all distances other than post-move layups, which she can finish at an above average rate due to her ambidextrous athleticism. For example, she shot a mediocre 72% on FT's this past season, which, however, was a big improvment from the 46% in her freshman season.

Unless the 5-11 Gabby can get a very high percentage of paint layups in the pros as she has been able to do in college, I don't see her college performance so far as presaging a high scorer in the W.

I'm not sure Gabby's an elite defender. She certainly has above average reflexes and speed, but most of the "great defense" that people recall I suspect are retinal memories of her breakaways after gambling steals.

I'm surprised to hear Maya referred to as an elite defender, but I don't see the Lynx much so I'll defer to others.

What Gabby will know is team defense. In my opinion, Geno Auriemma teaches better team defense than any other coach I've seen in college or pro. However, do W teams even play team defense? Again, I'll defer, though I do remember what's-his-name's "white line".

Even given all that, even if she can't improve her shot, isn't she basically Alyssa Thomas?

This...

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
@ myrtle....you're right.I was too harsh on Clark.Using the word abused was too much.I edited my post.

I was thinking that judging any of them on well they defend Angel or Maya is a bit harsh, since I think those two can score pretty much anytime/anywhere against anybody if they put their mind to it, and especially if the refs are calling the game in their favor, which is usually the case.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think Gabby will be an outstanding pro...but do think she needs to work on extending her range.

This is my biggest concern with her, as well. In 3 years at UConn, she is 1-7 from 3 (1-6 this past season). Interested to see how that develops this upcoming season.

Gabby has below average shooting touch from all distances other than post-move layups, which she can finish at an above average rate due to her ambidextrous athleticism. For example, she shot a mediocre 72% on FT's this past season, which, however, was a big improvment from the 46% in her freshman season.

Unless the 5-11 Gabby can get a very high percentage of paint layups in the pros as she has been able to do in college, I don't see her college performance so far as presaging a high scorer in the W.

I'm not sure Gabby's an elite defender. She certainly has above average reflexes and speed, but most of the "great defense" that people recall I suspect are retinal memories of her breakaways after gambling steals.

I'm surprised to hear Maya referred to as an elite defender, but I don't see the Lynx much so I'll defer to others.

What Gabby will know is team defense. In my opinion, Geno Auriemma teaches better team defense than any other coach I've seen in college or pro. However, do W teams even play team defense? Again, I'll defer, though I do remember what's-his-name's "white line".

Even given all that, even if she can't improve her shot, isn't she basically Alyssa Thomas?

This...

Alyssa is a good player even though she is somewhat offensively challenged. I think Gabby is similar but a bit better in just about every category. And for pure athleticism, she's way out in front of anybody else I can think of in the moment. Her athleticism is simply off the charts. Combine that with her overall bball smarts, excellent passing ability and you have a heckova player. I want her on my team anytime...

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/28/17 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My impression of Gabby Williams is that she is a much better athlete than Alyssa Thomas, or most WNBA players, and so has a chance to be very good. If she can translate that athleticism into a consistent outside shot, she should be an impact player; if not, she might be able to do what Danielle Robinson did and construct a career out of athleticism and a limited tool kit.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This draft intrigues me so much, when you look at it as whole its very deep, for example i look at a player like Victoria Vivians she has the potential to be a top 5 pick. Her size and frame are ideal for an off guard in the pros. She has great range on her jumper and can create her own shot, but she has very bad shot selection and can disappear in games. If she becomes more selective as a shooter and improves her decision making, her stock could rise easy.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/14/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vivians ain't a first round pick right now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

+1 Laughing

PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Right now yes i agree but alot can change come next year im just sayin she has the potential.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Right now yes i agree but alot can change come next year im just sayin she has the potential.

I do agree that she does have the potential but with the entries in next years draft it will be hard for her to crack the top 5 . Deshields , Wilson , Mitchell , Gabby , Canada , Russell , Billings , Possibly Turner , L. Brown , Scaife & McCowan all have just as much potential though . If she develops some discipline with her decision making i can see her rising to late 1st Round.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I do agree that she does have the potential but with the entries in next years draft it will be hard for her to crack the top 5 . Deshields , Wilson , Mitchell , Gabby , Canada , Russell , Billings , Possibly Turner , L. Brown , Scaife & McCowan all have just as much potential though . If she develops some discipline with her decision making i can see her rising to late 1st Round.

She will be the wild card im tellin u ive games where she can score in bunches. She will be in the conversation. But i aint gonna lie that list is Murderers Row lol id be happy with any of these players for the libs

basketballologist

PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will there be expansion in 2018

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A) Let's hope not, given the lack of depth on the rosters, and in the league. Remember that the top six (or maybe seven) on each roster would be protected, so take seven through 12 on each roster and see what that puts on the floor.

B) Even if there was enough talent, an announcement would have to be made almost immediately to give the new franchise time to get ready.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Will there be expansion in 2018

i wish , but i wouldn't
hold my breath .

PostPosted: 06/22/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
This draft intrigues me so much, when you look at it as whole its very deep, for example i look at a player like Victoria Vivians she has the potential to be a top 5 pick. Her size and frame are ideal for an off guard in the pros. She has great range on her jumper and can create her own shot, but she has very bad shot selection and can disappear in games. If she becomes more selective as a shooter and improves her decision making, her stock could rise easy.

Unless she becomes an all-american in her senior year, bottom first or top second round.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 06/22/17 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Scaife? Mid-second round. I don't think she's much of a distributor. I'd take Vivians over her.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/22/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The user mocks at draftsite.com currently have Kelsey Mitchell as the co-leader for #1
https://www.draftsite.com/wnba/mock-draft/2018/

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:

This...

NOT this. AT has no shot beyond 5 feet and does not possess the mechanics to get one. She has the worst-looking shot in the history of basketball.

Williams at least has improved her shot and has the mechanics to continue to improve it. Her FT-shooting gains have been mentioned, and she has become a greater threat away from the basket each season, imo.

I don't know if she'll make it in the W, but imo, AT she isn't.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You could have said Alyssa Thomas is averaging 18.5 ppg in June and was declared the AP Player of the Week.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only point I was trying to make with that Alyssa Thomas comparison (made months ago), was that that's a baseline. Even if Williams doesn't manage to improve her shooting, she can still do pretty much what Thomas does. That's a pretty good place to start as a floor projection.

PostPosted: 06/22/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thomas is 6-2, 185 lbs while Williams is 5-11 and probably around 170. Alyssa is very much a power player who pushes people around. Gabby relies on her quickness and leaping ability. Thomas is used as a 3/4. Even though Gabby has been converted to a post by Geno, she's more likely to be a 2/3 at the next level. Yes, she doesn't shoot 3's yet. However, there are a lot of players who shoot 3s and mostly miss them. Do they command any more respect from the defense? As long as Gabby can make mid-range jumpers she'll be fine. It's the Danielle Robinson argument. While some fans continue to criticize DR, I think she is highly regarded around the league. Gabby didn't take a ton of midrange shots, but it was more than the previous year and they seemed to go in at a decent rate. Let's hope she takes another step forward this season.

PostPosted: 06/23/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams is pretty versatile and has out played a lot of the best post players in college, I think she could defend a lot of the power forwards in the WNBA and even a few centers. If Dallas does get the 2nd pick Williams could be good pick up if she can defend the post allowing them to play small ball. Collier would also be a good pick up for the wings, and if she wants to be a Top 2 pick it would be a good idea for her to come out in 2018, Stevens and Brown will probably go 1 and 2 in 2019.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/23/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Thomas is 6-2, 185 lbs while Williams is 5-11 and probably around 170. Alyssa is very much a power player who pushes people around. Gabby relies on her quickness and leaping ability. Thomas is used as a 3/4. Even though Gabby has been converted to a post by Geno, she's more likely to be a 2/3 at the next level.

Yup. Dissimilar players.

PostPosted: 06/24/17 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Williams is pretty versatile and has out played a lot of the best post players in college, I think she could defend a lot of the power forwards in the WNBA and even a few centers. If Dallas does get the 2nd pick Williams could be good pick up if she can defend the post allowing them to play small ball.

I don't think Dallas should rely on small ball as a strategy. They probably get Cambage next year. It'd be better for Williams' career if she started playing her size-appropriate position. When you're undersized, you have to play that much harder than everybody else, which can lead to burnout or injury (Jefferson theory).

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Collier would also be a good pick up for the wings, and if she wants to be a Top 2 pick it would be a good idea for her to come out in 2018, Stevens and Brown will probably go 1 and 2 in 2019.

It's very rare for a player to leave after three years academically. You'd have to have a situation like Loyd where a player struggles with school (dyslexic), or with Zahui who was supposedly close to a degree anyway and saw an opportunity to go #1 at the time. Collier is in a great situation at UConn. Anything can happen, but I don't see her running away from UConn.

I see Stevens as more likely to declare early. She will have 4 years academically after this coming season. Maybe one championship will be her goal before moving onto the next level.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/24/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A question, not a pointed comment: Why do you think Cambage will play in the W next year?

PostPosted: 06/24/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="#Occasionalwnbafan"]Williams is pretty versatile and has out played a lot of the best post players in college, I think she could defend a lot of the power forwards in the WNBA and even a few centers. If Dallas does get the 2nd pick Williams could be good pick up if she can defend the post allowing them to play small ball. Collier would also be a good pick up for the wings, and if she wants to be a Top 2 pick it would be a good idea for her to come out in 2018, Stevens and Brown will probably go 1 and 2 in 2019.[/quote]

Don't see Brown being that high, she improved for the college game but she is too slow still for the W, even for the college game she had to be subbed for quicker teams and due to foul trouble. Stevens is a wait and see as to whether she can play UCONN's pace which is much faster than anything she has done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 3 of 93

Jump to: