RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/18/17 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched a brief video interview with Bill Laimbeer about the Dallas game. Here's something he mentioned as important that I hadn't considered: blocked shots. New York had 11 blocked shots on Friday night. Four for Charles, three for Stokes, two for Zahui B, one for Rodgers, one for Zellous. I don't know how many came in the second half or the overtime, but I believe a good number did.

For 11 games, New York is averaging 4.6 blocked shots per game. In the 2016 regular season, the Liberty averaged 4.7 blocked shots per game. So 11 blocked shots in one game is a lovely number. Especially when one more Dallas field goal in regulation would have meant a Dallas victory.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 06/18/17 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/18/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles did an outstanding job defensively on Johnson in the second half and on help defense. Not an easy task for a player who played all but the last :11. Stokes was fantastic in the fourth and in OT as well. NY's offense is now averaging 81.6 ppg. Not a great number but certainly good given where we were earlier in the season. One would think that Piph's addition would improve that number a couple of ppg also.

I'm really excited right now just in terms of NY's personnel and offensive balance. Minnesota is a better team obviously. But I'm not sure I see a team otherwise with clearly superior offensive balance and overall depth, when taking into account that NY's defense should improve as their offensive efficiency goes up.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As an amusing aside, Liberty social media had a graphic up before Friday's game showing that Rebecca Allen leads the WNBA in block percentage. Even though she didn't get a block in the Dallas game, Bec is still officially the league leader as of this morning. Small sample size, but 8 blocks in 90 minutes is pretty good.

Now, I'm going to go off on a tangent. Tina Charles has a brief Father's Day tribute to her dad on Liberty social media. Liberty fans know Rawlston Charles as the guy who sits courtside dressed in fancy suits and a boater's hat. Tina mentions that he was a Calypso producer, so I looked him up. I found this interesting article about him:

http://caribbean-beat.com/issue-93/charlie-and-his-roots#axzz4kMoYRnwP

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Just watched a brief video interview with Bill Laimbeer about the Dallas game. Here's something he mentioned as important that I hadn't considered: blocked shots. New York had 11 blocked shots on Friday night. Four for Charles, three for Stokes, two for Zahui B, one for Rodgers, one for Stokes. I don't know how many came in the second half or the overtime, but I believe a good number did.

For 11 games, New York is averaging 4.6 blocked shots per game. In the 2016 regular season, the Liberty averaged 4.7 blocked shots per game. So 11 blocked shots in one game is a lovely number. Especially when one more Dallas field goal in regulation would have meant a Dallas victory.

Quick question. Do you have a link to the sound?

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Quick question. Do you have a link to the sound?

I hope this will work:

https://www.facebook.com/nyliberty/videos/10154611923167918/

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI to Liberty fans: if you're on Facebook or are willing to be, the New York Liberty's Facebook page has value in my view because they post many player moves there, post lots of videos, and post columns by in-house sportswriter Lenn Robbins. The level of discussion among fans on the Facebook page isn't nearly as enlightening as it is here, so I usually avoid that. But I've seen many posts of interest, especially videos from Bill Laimbeer's postgame press conferences.

One warning: Facebook can be quite haphazard in terms of what one gets to see and when. The Laimbeer postgame press conference obviously was on Friday night, I believe it got posted on the Liberty page on Saturday (I might have that wrong), but it didn't turn up on my Facebook page till today (Sunday). Some posts never turn up on my page. I've never seen any logic to why certain things appear and others don't. So if you "like" the Liberty page, bear in mind that you may not see everything in a timely manner. Or at all.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It did. Thanks! And yes, I didn't see on Liberty facebook. Probably because it was posted at 7 am. Lol.

PostPosted: 06/18/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed late in the game the Dallas Wings wing players decided to drive into the paint and go to the rim. But they were doing it with the Liberty post players already established in the area and they ended up getting their shot blocked rather than drawing a foul.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty are now tied for third. Not bad considering I thought we'd be down to 6th/7th without Prince & Vaughn.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 06/18/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Liberty are now tied for third. Not bad considering I thought we'd be down to 6th/7th without Prince & Vaughn.

Could it be addition by subtraction?

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/19/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

yes and no...Rodgers filled the 2 Z remained at 3...what I think it showed is that Z needs to contribute as a score...can she do that with Prince...Rodgers has been inconsistent at best on OFFENSE...on D she has cranked it up so her Gtown regression on offense is excused...the Key is can Z keep it up offensively while still giving prince her points...Only time will tell...but addition by subtraction indicates bad attitude...I have seen little if any indication that is the case...to the contrary the team seems to have its togetherness back...and that is KEY...this team has plenty of talent...but they do not win on talent alone.

PostPosted: 06/19/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

yes and no...Rodgers filled the 2 Z remained at 3...what I think it showed is that Z needs to contribute as a score...can she do that with Prince...Rodgers has been inconsistent at best on OFFENSE...on D she has cranked it up so her Gtown regression on offense is excused...the Key is can Z keep it up offensively while still giving prince her points...Only time will tell...but addition by subtraction indicates bad attitude...I have seen little if any indication that is the case...to the contrary the team seems to have its togetherness back...and that is KEY...this team has plenty of talent...but they do not win on talent alone.

Quite a few Liberty players got off to bad starts this season. Prince and Vaughn certainly weren't the problem. If anything, there was "addition by subtraction" only in the sense that the team rallied together, knowing that the challenge ahead of them would be far more difficult without Prince and Vaughn.

More than anything, it looks like Laimbeer and the rest of the coaching staff said to Zellous about 100 times: "You've got to provide leadership and that includes putting up lots of points." And she obviously has.

PostPosted: 06/19/17 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isiah working with Hartley...

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/19/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I question the usefulness of these one-on-one sessions. There is so much open space to work with that won't be available in an actual 5x5 game. If you dribble around in the same way, a help defender will slide over and pick your pocket. You frequently see Sugar dribbling into traffic, and then she ends up hoisting a wild shot or forcing a pass through a crowd of defenders. That cross-over move which works in practice with T-Spoon offering token resistance may not cut it in real life. Or you see post players dribbling, dribbling, dribbling as they slowly back in, only to get stripped by a guard doubling down. That extra defender didn't exist in one-on-one practice. I'd prefer to see drills that simulate actual situations, like working in tight spaces with people swiping at you. Learn to make your move quickly, use good footwork, shield the ball with your body as you shoot.

PostPosted: 06/20/17 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
So I'm thinking that we've got a great shot for the #1 seed if it's decided not on won/loss record during the regular season but rather on the pages of comments on each team's Rebkell thread.

Current standings:

New York 31 pages
Dallas 15
Chicago 11
Los Angeles 10
Phoenix 10
Connecticut 8
Washington 8
San Antonio 7
Seattle 6
Atlanta 6
Minnesota 6
Indiana 5

But perhaps this rating system isn't fair, since it doesn't take into account how much each team's fans comment on individual game threads.

There's also this. If your team has won three recent championships, came close to winning another last season, and is currently undefeated, perhaps there isn't so much to say about them. Smile

Guess our team is just kind of boring Laughing
We don't make many trades or significant roster moves
Same old core of players, team gets along w/each other and they're all really likable.
Took 7 yrs to have a little shake up in the coaching staff
A happy, boring, engaged owner who rarely misses a game and sits courtside smiling from ear to ear through much of the game Laughing
Winning is really fun so when they lose we get knit picky, but we're in a place right now were we have to work REALLY hard to manufacture some drama Shocked

I've got to get to a game at the Garden some day Very Happy I've always enjoyed Lib fans loyalty, passion and sense of humor for their franchise in the good time and through all the tough times. In spite of your owner, players have come and gone but the bunch here have been true ride or die fans for your franchise. Hang in there and don't change your time is sure to come.

PostPosted: 06/20/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
So I'm thinking that we've got a great shot for the #1 seed if it's decided not on won/loss record during the regular season but rather on the pages of comments on each team's Rebkell thread.

Current standings:

New York 31 pages
Dallas 15
Chicago 11
Los Angeles 10
Phoenix 10
Connecticut 8
Washington 8
San Antonio 7
Seattle 6
Atlanta 6
Minnesota 6
Indiana 5

But perhaps this rating system isn't fair, since it doesn't take into account how much each team's fans comment on individual game threads.

There's also this. If your team has won three recent championships, came close to winning another last season, and is currently undefeated, perhaps there isn't so much to say about them. Smile

Same old core of players, team gets along w/each other and they're all really likable.
A happy, boring, engaged owner who rarely misses a game and sits courtside smiling from ear to ear through much of the game Laughing
Winning is really fun so when they lose we get knit picky, but we're in a place right now were we have to work REALLY hard to manufacture some drama Shocked

I've got to get to a game at the Garden some day Very Happy I've always enjoyed Lib fans loyalty, passion and sense of humor for their franchise in the good time and through all the tough times. In spite of your owner, players have come and gone but the bunch here have been true ride or die fans for your franchise. Hang in there and don't change your time is sure to come.

My team in 2nd Laughing We have so many issues we cant stay focused on one before another topic gets dropped in the thread . I love my wings ...#DallasWings That is Embarassed

PostPosted: 06/20/17 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
MNfan22 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Current standings:

New York 31 pages
Dallas 15
Chicago 11
Los Angeles 10
Phoenix 10
Connecticut 8
Washington 8
San Antonio 7
Seattle 6
Atlanta 6
Minnesota 6
Indiana 5

My team in 2nd Laughing We have so many issues we cant stay focused on one before another topic gets dropped in the thread . I love my wings ...#DallasWings That is Embarassed

I love these two reactions to my chart. Smile

PostPosted: 06/20/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russia was just eliminated in EuroBasket, so I wonder if we get Prince back by Friday or if Laimbeer waits to activate her until June 29 vs. Washington?

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/20/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, Russia lost to Greece. Piph 1-12 3pts in 30:31. I wonder if it was a tank job. Wink

My guess is that they activate Prince so she gets paid, but she'll probably sit out unless there's an emergency or the game is a blowout.

PostPosted: 06/20/17 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm feeling kind of bad for Burdick. I really like her hustle. Is it a done deal that Alston and Burdick are the cuts when Prince and Vaughn return?

I like the steady hand that L. Allen brings to the table for the Liberty so I'm pretty sure she is going to stay.

And I don't want to give up on Zahui B, but if someone offered us a 2nd round pick for Zahui B would I rather trade her for future consideration and keep Burdick? IDK I would be torn.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly i dont want Prince to come back yet lol but i know we are gonna need her when we play the Elite teams down the road and into the playoffs

toad455

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm feeling kind of bad for Burdick. I really like her hustle. Is it a done deal that Alston and Burdick are the cuts when Prince and Vaughn return?

I like the steady hand that L. Allen brings to the table for the Liberty so I'm pretty sure she is going to stay.

And I don't want to give up on Zahui B, but if someone offered us a 2nd round pick for Zahui B would I rather trade her for future consideration and keep Burdick? IDK I would be torn.

No. Nothing's been said who they're keeping & cutting when Vaughn & Prince return. We're all just assuming based on minutes played that they'll keep L. Allen & cut Burdick.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/21/17 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Wow, Russia lost to Greece. Piph 1-12 3pts in 30:31. I wonder if it was a tank job. Wink

My guess is that they activate Prince so she gets paid, but she'll probably sit out unless there's an emergency or the game is a blowout.

Also, with Russia & Czech Republic not qualifying for the World Championship next year, we get Prince & Vaughn for the full 2018 season.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/21/17 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Давайте снова сделаем Россию

toad455

PostPosted: 06/21/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vaughn is back, Alston has been waived.

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/liberty-activates-center-kia-vaughn/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 64 of 80

Jump to: