RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wonder Woman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 06/19/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just saw Wonder Woman this afternoon. (It's a 6 mile, 1 hour bike ride to the nearest theater.) What a fantastic film! I will certainly be buying a copy on DVD. They held true to most of Diana's origin, but due to time limits, I see why they chose to tell how she leaves the island. Even though there were a few 'I could sleep through this scene' moments, the overall experience is well worth the cost of admission. What is it with Pine and motorcycles though?

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/19/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are up in arms about Wonder Woman- born/created on Themyscira- not having an American enough costume? Uh. Okay, then.

IMO, it should be more blue and white, if you're going to go down that road. Greek pride, y'all.

(now with spelling variations)
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/20/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i would like to say that i think these superhero comics are stupid, wonder woman the tv show was stupid, the adulation of it stupider still, and i will not be seeing this stupid movie.

but, i won't be that stupid.

PostPosted: 06/20/17 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
What is it with Pine and motorcycles though?

Right? I was thinking the same thing! Laughing

PostPosted: 06/20/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gal Gadot earned $300,000 for 'Wonder Woman' — while Henry Cavill got $14 million for 'Man of Steel'

http://www.thisisinsider.com/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-salary-2017-6

Quote:
Because of the success of "Wonder Woman," it's likely Gadot is eligible for potential bonuses in her contract.

PostPosted: 06/20/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Gal Gadot earned $300,000 for 'Wonder Woman' — while Henry Cavill got $14 million for 'Man of Steel'

http://www.thisisinsider.com/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-salary-2017-6

Quote:
Because of the success of "Wonder Woman," it's likely Gadot is eligible for potential bonuses in her contract.

Those numbers look shocking but are apparently total crap.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/06/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-salary

Quote:
It would be perfectly indicative of the gender pay gap that lingers in Hollywood. . . if it were at all true. As the Elle article that sent the stat viral said itself, Cavill’s $14 million earning include bonuses for box office performance, while Gadot’s $300,000, per a 2014 Variety report, is just the base salary for each film she’s made thus far in the DC Universe. Though the details of Cavill’s reported $14 million could not be verified, a source with knowledge of studio negotiations on franchise films told Vanity Fair, “It certainly isn't for one picture. That's insane.“

The same source said of Gadot’s salary, “Entry level actors in franchise films are paid an initial rate. As a franchise takes off, they stand to make more money.“ So if she signed a deal similar to Cavill’s, the Wonder Woman bonus checks will soon be rolling in—and the sequels could be even more lucrative. Says a source familiar with both Cavill and Gadot’s contract negotiations, “If you do an apples to apples comparison, she was paid at least as much as he was.”

scullyfu

PostPosted: 06/20/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Wonder Woman is currently being banned and boycotted in many Muslim majority countries. It this because it is perceived as American propaganda or as Israeli-Zionist propaganda? News articles make it sound more the latter.

Because it stars an Israeli in the lead

couldn't it also be because of the scantily clad Wonder Woman? she doesn't exactly meet their requirements for women being modestly clothed.

PostPosted: 06/20/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Wonder Woman is currently being banned and boycotted in many Muslim majority countries. It this because it is perceived as American propaganda or as Israeli-Zionist propaganda? News articles make it sound more the latter.

Because it stars an Israeli in the lead

couldn't it also be because of the scantily clad Wonder Woman? she doesn't exactly meet their requirements for women being modestly clothed.

They haven't banned other movies with scantily clad women in it. Lots of movies have women in bikinis, underwear, or less.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 10:57 am    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Saw it this weekend. Enjoyed it. (I typically enjoy the modern superhero movie, however). Enjoyed the upbeat tone. Gal Gadot made a fantastic Wonder Woman, in my opinion, and really carried the trifecta of dramatic moments, action moments, and comedic moments well.

There's a lot being made of "female superhero" and "female director". Rightfully so, as far as the dearth of both (looking at you, Marvel). It's a rather large burden for a singular movie to have to stand for "all women", but I feel this one succeeds. I also think as far as box office receipts it'll have more legs than some of the more recent comic book offerings, buoyed by positive reviews and a somewhat atypical audience (i.e. women make up over 50% of the audience, when they usually hover around a 40% share for this type).

I also thought the WWI setting was an interesting one. I feel like we've seen a lot more of WWII in media over the years, so much that a lot of WWI is still murky to me (the average American with no particular education in history), which made it a good war to underpin the movie's themes of the duality of human nature, and choosing to love and fight for humanity nonetheless.

Anyway, anyone else see it this weekend?

We really loved it, I wish they had gotten an Indigenous actress, but Gal made a good Wonder Woman. Now that they had Steve as her love interest over with I hope they get her a female love interest, Tinsel Korey would be a good one.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 2:01 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
norwester wrote:
Saw it this weekend. Enjoyed it. (I typically enjoy the modern superhero movie, however). Enjoyed the upbeat tone. Gal Gadot made a fantastic Wonder Woman, in my opinion, and really carried the trifecta of dramatic moments, action moments, and comedic moments well.

There's a lot being made of "female superhero" and "female director". Rightfully so, as far as the dearth of both (looking at you, Marvel). It's a rather large burden for a singular movie to have to stand for "all women", but I feel this one succeeds. I also think as far as box office receipts it'll have more legs than some of the more recent comic book offerings, buoyed by positive reviews and a somewhat atypical audience (i.e. women make up over 50% of the audience, when they usually hover around a 40% share for this type).

I also thought the WWI setting was an interesting one. I feel like we've seen a lot more of WWII in media over the years, so much that a lot of WWI is still murky to me (the average American with no particular education in history), which made it a good war to underpin the movie's themes of the duality of human nature, and choosing to love and fight for humanity nonetheless.

We really loved it, I wish they had gotten an Indigenous actress, but Gal made a good Wonder Woman. Now that they had Steve as her love interest over with I hope they get her a female love interest, Tinsel Korey would be a good one.

No.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/03/17 2:18 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:
norwester wrote:

No.

I agree. While I like the idea of LGBT superheroes, the last thing we need is to keep pushing the idea that athletic, muscular women are lesbians. I'd rather they subvert tropes than feed them.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 2:41 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:

Why?
In order to have a strong woman heroine she must be non-white and gay?
This warrants an explanation.

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/03/17 4:18 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

Well, I do like the idea of exploring new iterations of old characters. By changing things like that we can tell old stories in new and fresh ways. So it is not a terrible idea in and of itself, but since Wonder Woman hasn't seen the big screen nor been played to death lately keeping her closer to her origins makes more sense.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 7:10 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

There's a very simple explanation for the gay part, which is that in the movie WW mentions that although men are required for procreation they are unnecessary when it comes to pleasure, plus she's from a women-only island.

justintyme wrote:
I agree. While I like the idea of LGBT superheroes, the last thing we need is to keep pushing the idea that athletic, muscular women are lesbians. I'd rather they subvert tropes than feed them.

Feeding tropes? You're reaching with that one. One could just as easily say that the last thing we need is to keep pushing the idea that tall gorgeous models with traditionally feminine looks are straight.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 8:14 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Feeding tropes? You're reaching with that one. One could just as easily say that the last thing we need is to keep pushing the idea that tall gorgeous models with traditionally feminine looks are straight.

WNBA players, Candace Wiggins, need I say more?

I'm just saying that it is more effective when it goes against stereotype. Like I am all for a gay Captain America. But I really wouldn't want a gay Captain America who was all into Broadway musicals, high fashion, and all the other things that gay men supposedly "are".

WW is breaking down basic gender role stereotypes by taking on the traditionally masculine role of a strong, asskicking warrior. I think it is more powerful right now as a model for young girls to reject these cultural assumptions. We already have a sad cultural assumption that lesbians do traditionally masculine things.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 9:24 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

Because canon wise, Wonder Woman is bisexual..

PostPosted: 07/03/17 10:52 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

If that is the case, go for it. I was not aware they ever dealt with that on-panel (WW was never one of my comic choices when I was young).

PostPosted: 07/05/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally saw it. Meh.

Too much cheesy CGI for me, not only in the battle scenes where one expects it, but almost every set and shooting location seemed fake.

Plot: kill one bad guy and World War I will end. Rather shallow and predictable.

Supporting characters and enemies: completely uninteresting and unmemorable. No Sancho Panza, Long John Silver, Huckleberry Finn, Dr. Watson, Lois Lane, Robin, Joker, Lex Luthor or Professor Moriarity here.

Gal Gadot: Looked good in costume, but this wasn't an acting role so no opinion on her acting ability. I actually thought she was a little too old for the part, which will limit her for a long career of sequels, at least without a lot of cosmetic help and Photoshopping.

An okay if simpleminded superhero smash and explosion film with a very cartoonish look. I wouldn't spend my own money to see it, but it's worth the time if someone else is paying. Folks raised in the video game era would probably like it more.
Scarab

PostPosted: 07/06/17 8:29 am    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

^^^ THIS! Seems like a lot of folks on here don't know Wonder Woman's history at all. Her bisexuality has been canon since just about the beginning, which is no surprise considering her creator (William Moulton Marston...you should really read up on him if you haven't.).

PostPosted: 07/06/17 9:53 am    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

^^^ THIS! Seems like a lot of folks on here don't know Wonder Woman's history at all. Her bisexuality has been canon since just about the beginning, which is no surprise considering her creator (William Moulton Marston...you should really read up on him if you haven't.).

Actually, it was a grand total of 8 months ago when Wonder Woman "came out" so to speak and Greg Rucka announced she was.

A lot of people who wanted to believe she was may have assumed it since "just about the beginning", but I'd like to see what supposedly made that "canon". DC's announcement last fall would have been completely unnecessary if it had been so well established for so long.

Scarab

PostPosted: 07/06/17 12:36 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Scarab wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

Actually, it was a grand total of 8 months ago when Wonder Woman "came out" so to speak and Greg Rucka announced she was.

A lot of people who wanted to believe she was may have assumed it since "just about the beginning", but I'd like to see what supposedly made that "canon". DC's announcement last fall would have been completely unnecessary if it had been so well established for so long.

https://www.autostraddle.com/wonder-womans-10-gayest-comic-book-moments-385469/

PostPosted: 07/06/17 2:43 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Scarab wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Force10rulz wrote:

Why?

https://www.autostraddle.com/wonder-womans-10-gayest-comic-book-moments-385469/

Meh. There is a little wink-wink nudge-nudge, but most of those are pretty weak sauce.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/07/17 12:00 pm    ::: Re: Wonder Woman Reply Reply with quote

I would have thought that Wonder Woman is queer would be a logical jump, even without the confirmation..given her back story.

PostPosted: 07/07/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well one might think that, coming from an all-women island, but it remains that the romantic interest in her life was a man.

It's logical, but as I said, if it was so obvious they wouldn't have had to announce it after 75 years.

A thing for bondage was probably more obvious than bisexuality.

I'm not surprised by the announcement, but I sure wouldn't agree it was canon for 60 or 70 years. I think that's wishful thinking by people who wanted it to be so.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/07/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A bisexual's "love of their life" can be someone of the opposite gender. Razz

I know not everyone does (see: Star Wars fans), but I consider a writer's comments about a character canon.

I also think things are written very subtle when it comes to gay characters. For instance, I knew while reading the Harry Potter series, that Dumbledore was gay. But many were shocked by it, and JK Rowling received criticism for not being more obvious about it. However, some where like me, and got it right away. Wonder Woman is probably similar.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: