RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

oil industry indoctrinates school kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/15/17 12:25 pm    ::: oil industry indoctrinates school kids Reply Reply with quote

https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/2017/06/15/oils-pipeline-to-americas-schools/

Dressed in suits, the Republican lawmakers read aloud from “Petro Pete’s Big Bad Dream,” a parable in which a Bob the Builder lookalike awakens to find his toothbrush, hardhat and even the tires on his bike missing. Abandoned by the school bus, Pete walks to Petroville Elementary in his pajamas.

The tale is the latest in an illustrated series by the Oklahoma Energy Resources Board, a state agency funded by oil and gas producers. The board has spent upwards of $40 million over the past two decades on K-12 education with a pro-industry bent, including hundreds of pages of curricula, a speaker series and an afterschool program — all at no cost to educators.

A similar program in Ohio shows teachers how to “frack” Twinkies using straws to pump for cream and advises on the curriculum for a charter school that revolves around shale drilling. A national program whose sponsors include BP and Shell claims it’s too soon to tell if the earth is heating up, but “a little warming might be a good thing.”

PostPosted: 06/15/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you insist on having schools run by the state, you're going to get a curriculum dictated by political donors.

PostPosted: 06/15/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If you insist on having schools run by the state, you're going to get a curriculum dictated by political donors.

And if you don't have them run by the state you get a curriculum dictated by some church or whoever else picks up the funding...

PostPosted: 06/15/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

And if you don't have them run by the state you get a curriculum dictated by some church or whoever else picks up the funding...

Which would you rather have?

PostPosted: 06/15/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Anything other than Religions.

At least when they are public you get Constitutional protections. That can limit some of the most dangerous facets.

PostPosted: 06/15/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

At least when they are public you get Constitutional protections. That can limit some of the most dangerous facets.

And yet, private schools consistently provide higher quality education than public schools

PostPosted: 06/15/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

And yet, private schools consistently provide higher quality education than public schools

Yes. Because they can pick and choose their students. Don't come to class? Expelled. Trouble Maker? Expelled. Grades too low? Expelled. Don't meet our enterence requirements? Too bad. Special Needs? We don't offer those services here.

And not having to deal with problem students makes teaching in those institutions exponentially more appealing. I am a college professor who legitimately enjoys teaching. And I would rather poke out my eyes with a hot poker and shove bamboo under my fingernails than teach at a public highschool. This means you get the pick of the litter when you are a private school.

Public schools don't have this luxury. They have to provide an education to everybody, even students who don't actually want one . How much do you want to bet that if the same enrollment requirements of public schools were demanded of private ones the "quality" of the two would be fairly indistinguishable.

PostPosted: 06/15/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes. Because they can pick and choose their students. Don't come to class? Expelled. Trouble Maker? Expelled. Grades too low? Expelled. Don't meet our enterence requirements? Too bad. Special Needs? We don't offer those services here.

And not having to deal with problem students makes teaching in those institutions exponentially more appealing. I am a college professor who legitimately enjoys teaching. And I would rather poke out my eyes with a hot poker and shove bamboo under my fingernails than teach at a public highschool. This means you get the pick of the litter when you are a private school.

Public schools don't have this luxury. They have to provide an education to everybody, even students who don't actually want one . How much do you want to bet that if the same enrollment requirements of public schools were demanded of private ones the "quality" of the two would be fairly indistinguishable.

This is an empirical question, and the results are pretty clear. There has been more investigation of the issues in charter schools (which actually have less ability to tailor their student bodies than private schools), and the consistent finding is that when the students are the same, the outcomes are the same.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/15/17 11:31 pm    ::: Re: oil industry indoctrinates school kids Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
A similar program in Ohio shows teachers how to “frack” Twinkies using straws to pump for cream and advises on the curriculum for a charter school that revolves around shale drilling. A national program whose sponsors include BP and Shell claims it’s too soon to tell if the earth is heating up, but “a little warming might be a good thing.”

Fracking Twinkies in school for science lessons?? Now, THIS is just blatant Michelle Obama Bashing!! Shocked Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: