Sun
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 06/15/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Thank goodness the Mercury cut that dead weight Courtney Williams before she dragged us down any further

The Mercury would NEVER unload a talented young guard like that. I mean, they've never done anything like that before Wink

Your right. They've NEVER done that before. Courtney was the first.

markinct

PostPosted: 06/15/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The interesting thing about this thread is that nobody is giving much credit to Connecticut, instead it's just that NY didn't do this that and the other thing where as Connecticut seemingly had a game plan....Miller subbed early and often and was able to minimize Jonquel's fouls....He put the right players in at the right times it seems. Banham had her best minutes in a Sun uniform and may have finally found her shot. Brionna Jones got some good minutes, not really productive but she shook out some cobwebs. Maybe Bentley needs to be shopping for another uniform to put on?

Randy

PostPosted: 06/15/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:
The interesting thing about this thread is that nobody is giving much credit to Connecticut, instead it's just that NY didn't do this that and the other thing where as Connecticut seemingly had a game plan....Miller subbed early and often and was able to minimize Jonquel's fouls....He put the right players in at the right times it seems. Banham had her best minutes in a Sun uniform and may have finally found her shot. Brionna Jones got some good minutes, not really productive but she shook out some cobwebs. Maybe Bentley needs to be shopping for another uniform to put on?

I was thinking that too. Fans do blame their own players/coach (and often the refs) a lot on nights the other team is just better. I think some of this is the "coaches mentality" which is to say you only talk about the things you can control - your effort, game plan and execution. Coaches always assume that their team can win. But (the Lynx aside) - you don't always win even if your team plays well. Sometime the other team plays better.

Shooting is to a significant extent a matter of chance. Some nights a team shoots well and other nights poorly, despite whether they are getting good looks or not. The same for rebounds - the ball bounces in random directions and some nights they bounce your way. Talent, effort, defense etc all make a difference but I think fans underestimate the randomness of outcomes.

As for Bentley - I would gladly send Ajavon to the Sun for her.

sigur3

PostPosted: 06/15/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:

Yup. Well-executed gameplan by a good coach.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/15/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
markinct wrote:

I was thinking that too. Fans do blame their own players/coach (and often the refs) a lot on nights the other team is just better. I think some of this is the "coaches mentality" which is to say you only talk about the things you can control - your effort, game plan and execution. Coaches always assume that their team can win. But (the Lynx aside) - you don't always win even if your team plays well. Sometime the other team plays better.

I thought I'd written that Connecticut had played a great game, but I've just read through the thread and I never said that. I should have. Excellent game plan and terrific execution. Yes, New York played a bad game, but that shouldn't obscure what an outstanding job Connecticut did. They deserve credit from myself and other Liberty fans.

I agree with Randy about how too often fans never give credit to the opponent but simply blame their own players and/or the coach and/or the refs. For me, one of the many really ugly things about the sports world (not that it's all ugly) is the venom that fans aim at athletes from their own teams.

PostPosted: 06/15/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did give credit to Miller for the game plan. I did acknowledge balanced scoring. I didn't give enough credit to the individual talent that CT displayed. Williams and Jones are legit up and comers with Jones looking like a franchise player.

But I also thought the Libs' lack of energy was obvious from the get go and it made it easy for CT to push them around on both ends. Not executing offense early played into CT playing to a quicker pace, which clearly suits them. If we lost 95-90 it would be easier to say well we just got beat. But I thought NY did a lot to beat themselves. As such, I viewed the game in that context.

PostPosted: 06/15/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
markinct wrote:

Yup. Well-executed gameplan by a good coach.

Well executed game plan by Miller to also take Hayes outta the Atlanta game. I think Miller is going to be an excellent coach, maybe one of the best in the league. He just needs a fully healthy roster for once. When he has a fully healthy roster next year (hopefully) with a 100% healthy Ogwumike and hopefully a healthy Tuck, he's going to make a lot of people eat their words.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/15/17 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

Well executed game plan by Miller to also take Hayes outta the Atlanta game. I think Miller is going to be an excellent coach, maybe one of the best in the league. He just needs a fully healthy roster for once. When he has a fully healthy roster next year (hopefully) with a 100% healthy Ogwumike and hopefully a healthy Tuck, he's going to make a lot of people eat their words.

And then we will all slink down to our basements and never be heard from again.

markinct

PostPosted: 06/16/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well executed game plan by Miller to also take Hayes outta the Atlanta game. I think Miller is going to be an excellent coach, maybe one of the best in the league. He just needs a fully healthy roster for once. When he has a fully healthy roster next year (hopefully) with a 100% healthy Ogwumike and hopefully a healthy Tuck, he's going to make a lot of people eat their words.[/quote]

Including you... ha ha!

markinct

PostPosted: 06/16/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coaches always assume that their team can win. But (the Lynx aside) - you don't always win even if your team plays well. Sometime the other team plays better.

and just to point out...Connecticut was one of the few teams to beat the Lynx last season....Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: