Wings
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

tfan

PostPosted: 06/13/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:

I didn't see any statistical evidence to support the other claim that Janel McCarville had significantly improved her skills while with the Lynx.

Seriously, looking at stats alone as a bellwether for player development is just dumb. As any coach or scout will tell you, you have to watch the film. There are so many factors that go into stats that will cause them to fluctuate. Things like team role, minutes played, surrounding talent, etc. The film gives a better feel for how they are actually playing. That is why, in the case of Fowles, I was sticking to demonstrable facts. It is a fact that her footwork and positioning is better now than when she first arrived. It is a fact that she shoots with her left hand now. It is a fact that her passing has improved. These are non-debatable truths that can be observed first hand.

By the same token, you never rely on a partisan's praise alone, no matter how emphatically and assuredly given. In the case of McCarville, you didn't provide us with any details of how she had improved during her Lynx tenure.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 06/13/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting turn in this thread Shocked

GlennMacGrady wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/lynx-radio/prac17_fowles_0531

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/fowles-credits-coaches-teammates-award/

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/02/lynx-coach-trying-to-prod-sylvia-fowles-into-psycho-mode/

http://www.startribune.com/the-making-of-sylvia-fowles-lynx-center-still-isn-t-done-growing/421572323/

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/17/sports/basketball/after-trade-sylvia-fowles-helps-lynx-flourish.html?_r=0

I didn't listen to the soundcloud audio, but in the two articles from the spring of 2017, it sounds as though Reeves tries to prod Fowles to be better but any improvement will be on Fowles' initiative and terms.

Personally found the angle taken by the writers odd, but they played up media day quotes looking for some conflict between coach & player. Sly's done a bunch of interviews since explaining the situation really isn't a big deal & has kind of become a team joke Laughing

Player improvement especially by great players, is ALWAYS a comb of multiple things. Their own hard work, teaching from those around them, their applying what they learn …

Anyway this interview is from this wk and is REALLY worth a listen (7:42) it pretty much sums up, in Sly's own words her journey to this point ... Idea

https://soundcloud.com/lynx-radio/conv17_focke_0602

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
I
Personally found the angle taken by the writers odd, but they played up media day quotes looking for some conflict between coach & player.

Which is exactly the reason why players tend to say as little of consequence as possible in interviews rendering them pretty useless. I have no idea as to whether the reporter blew something up out of nothing or not, in this case. But the potential for that sort of thing is always there. For this reason, I don't tend to listen to player interviews very much and I certainly don't blame them for being rah - rah about their team and coaches in interviews.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From long experience, any interview with an experienced, intelligent subject is going to reveal only as much as the interviewee wants, which in most cases is very little.

The only way to get more of a feel is to spend several days with someone, and even then, the interviewee pretty much controls the agenda.

Even worse are most high school players, who have little to say (as most of us did at that age) and say it poorly.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
justintyme wrote:
dramatic improvement in adding new skills and raising the quality of their play

I don't see any significant statistical evidence of this in Fowles' first two years with the Lynx compared to her Chicago years. Are you making this causal claim on behalf of the Lynx coaching staff based solely on nine games this season? If so, that's magically quick work by Reeves. Why not equally attribute the alleged dramatic improvement to Fowles' Olympic coach and overseas coaches during 2016-17, or to Fowles' own personal efforts at improvement?

I didn't see any statistical evidence to support the other claim that Janel McCarville had significantly improved her skills while with the Lynx.

Now you're being silly. J-Mac and Big Syl bring completely different skill sets and levels of innate talent to the position. J-Mac was never going to be much more than she was prior to coming to the Lynx; she had maximized her potential given her age, body type, and particular strengths. Big Syl, on the other hand, had NOT maximized her potential. She knew that. She wanted to get better and came to Minnesota to play with some great players and coaches in order to improve.

I am sure Lynx coaches have helped her. You can see it. But I think she has also been greatly helped by teammates. Brunson is the most instinctive rebounder I have ever seen play. Leadership among the players is spread around so that no one person is expected to lead in every way. And there are no difficult divas.

I think Big Syl is just in a good place for her, and coaching is part of that but we can't pick just one aspect of what makes Minnesota a good fit for Fowles.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

reeve was on kfan radio tuesday.

when asked about Syl, she said that after reflecting on the loss in the finals, she had to be a better coach for Sylvia. the results are showing that's for damn sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: