63%  [ 14 ]
Sun
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

Randy

PostPosted: 06/14/17 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Is there anything Bentley does better than Williams that would warrant her being a starter when she returns?

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Any news on what's Up with Tuck? Morgan Tuck? Question

Still out with the knee contusion. Not looking good tbh

I can't think of anything. Bentley's starting job may be a casualty of her trip overseas.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a disappointing effort.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun suddenly look like a pretty exciting basketball team.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Bill should rip them apart and tell them how soft they played and you can't take days off in the W...its a fact

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have a lot of talent. Miller took a lot of heat last year but he's clearly done a lot of things right. The Jones and Williams acquisitions look great. He or someone on the staff has likely had a heavy influence in accelerating Jones' development. And when you have 5 threats to score on the floor it works wonders.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Bill should rip them apart and tell them how soft they played and you can't take days off in the W...its a fact

I don't think there will be any sugar coating the performance at all. Not only from the physical effort aspect but also whatever mental errors on defense there were. The way they broke down NYs defense at will you have to figure there were plenty.

As soon as the Libs cut the lead to 9, CT immediately went on a 7-0 run...effortlessly. So many reminders that we don't have the talent to win on that alone, as Herb Brooks would say. I expected CT to be less physically engaging. I was wrong. However on Friday we play a team that is unequivocally NOT physically engaging. We play our game we'll win that one. Hopefully that's what happens and then we have a week to focus on payback vs. the Sun. It'll likely be a tough game but I don't expect a lack of energy to be NYs undoing.

We also really need more consistency from Stokes. In 2015 and 2016 she wasn't an offensive threat outside of layups but she could be counted on to chip in 6-8 points and 6-8 rebounds nearly every night. To see her match Griner's numbers 10 days ago and then have tonight's numbers is really frustrating.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I don't think there will be any sugar coating the performance at all. Not only from the physical effort aspect but also whatever mental errors on defense there were. The way they broke down NYs defense at will you have to figure there were plenty.

As soon as the Libs cut the lead to 9, CT immediately went on a 7-0 run...effortlessly. So many reminders that we don't have the talent to win on that alone, as Herb Brooks would say. I expected CT to be less physically engaging. I was wrong. However on Friday we play a team that is unequivocally NOT physically engaging. We play our game we'll win that one. Hopefully that's what happens and then we have a week to focus on payback vs. the Sun. It'll likely be a tough game but I don't expect a lack of energy to be NYs undoing.

yup just gotta regroup and take it out on Dallas, good thing i forgot to DVR this game lol i would of deleted it anyway.

C.Williams is gonna be a good one, that jumper of hers is deadly

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missed the game, after looking at the box score I'm not sure I'm going to watch it. (I do like A. Thomas and C. Williams but not enough to watch them beat up on my team.)

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, Bill shouldn't "rip them apart." It's so easy for fans to flame out. It's a 34-game regular season. New York is playing, in Laimbeer's stated view, without three of our best seven players. They had a bad game. It happens. Even among great teams. And this is NOT a great team, even if Prince, Vaughn, and Boyd were all active.

There's a lot of focus here on Kiah Stokes and there should be. But Liberty fans have essentially bypassed Sugar Rodgers' shooting woes. Ten games isn't a huge sample, but I wouldn't call it a small sample. Rodgers is shooting 34% from the field. (Last year 40.5%.) She has too many halves where she is invisible offensively. Even when Prince returns, New York needs Rodgers to shoot well to have a successful season.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Thank goodness the Mercury cut that dead weight Courtney Williams before she dragged us down any further

You also got rid of Jillian Alleyne and a draft pick that I think turned out to be Shayla Cooper.

BUT

In return you got the highly productive and MIPilacious Kelsey Bone.
LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/14/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
No, Bill shouldn't "rip them apart." It's so easy for fans to flame out. It's a 34-game regular season. New York is playing, in Laimbeer's stated view, without three of our best seven players. They had a bad game. It happens. Even among great teams. And this is NOT a great team, even if Prince, Vaughn, and Boyd were all active.

There's a lot of focus here on Kiah Stokes and there should be. But Liberty fans have essentially bypassed Sugar Rodgers' shooting woes. Ten games isn't a huge sample, but I wouldn't call it a small sample. Rodgers is shooting 34% from the field. (Last year 40.5%.) She has too many halves where she is invisible offensively. Even when Prince returns, New York needs Rodgers to shoot well to have a successful season.

Good point on Rodgers i agree but disagree on the excuse of missing players, the Sun is missing players also so its no excuse for them to play so poorly like this. its disappointing. but i think its a good wake up call to not take any team in the W so lightly...

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Good point on Rodgers i agree but disagree on the excuse of missing players, the Sun is missing players also so its no excuse for them to play so poorly like this. its disappointing. but i think its a good wake up call to not take any team in the W so lightly...

"Taking them lightly" is more empty rhetoric. Do you have any evidence that any Liberty player took Connecticut lightly? All you or anyone knows is that New York played a lousy game. We all saw that.

How easy it is to sit at a computer and "know" what's inside the heads of professional athletes.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Looks like NYL played like the GSW Warriors in Game 4... Just expected to show up and win Confused

That said, before Prince and Kia left, I predicted that with such a relatively easy schedule and being mostly at home, that NYL should still do very well. I predicted that they'd go 6-1 and they're still on track to do that. Idea

I didn't expect NY to beat PHO and I didn't expect NY to lose vs CON. But hey, 6-1 is still 6-1... Laimbeer may even win Coach of the Month with that record! Twisted Evil

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

"Taking them lightly" is more empty rhetoric. Do you have any evidence that any Liberty player took Connecticut lightly? All you or anyone knows is that New York played a lousy game. We all saw that.

How easy it is to sit at a computer and "know" what's inside the heads of professional athletes.

the "effort" and the "energy" wasn't there that's for sure so to me that's a sign of taking them lightly and if you watch Bill's postgame comments he said he knew it was gonna be a hard game but they was "feeling good about themselfs"

its a disappointing effort i was giving my opinion on the game Bob i know its a long season Rolling Eyes

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Put it this way. I wouldn't say "taking them lightly" or "rip them apart" per se. But I do think that whatever mistakes were made should definitely be firmly corrected and not sugar coated. I also think there was an obvious lack of energy from the opening tip. While not evidence of taking a team lightly, it does indicate a probability of being at least a little too comfortable with themselves.

On Rodgers, she's been disappointing. However, I think she's done some things well in terms of floor game, passing, free throw attempts and defense. Once the 3 ball turns around she'll be fine. Certainly we need more from her and had she been better maybe so would NYs record. But she could have had 25 tonight and the way our defense played we'd have probably still lost. And I haven't said more mainly because I think there's a number of things she's done well. Shooters can go through ebbs and flows. As a person who survived playing basketball strictly on hitting 3s at nearly 40 percent, I understand what that entails.

But no doubt she has to get it going. Soon. 10 games is more than a slump and it's nearly 30% of the season. If you have Tina, Piph, Z and Sugar all efficient on offense, this team gets damn good quickly.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/14/17 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Looks like NYL played like the GSW Warriors in Game 4... Just expected to show up and win Confused

That said, before Prince and Kia left, I predicted that with such a relatively easy schedule and being mostly at home, that NYL should still do very well. I predicted that they'd go 6-1 and they're still on track to do that. Idea

I didn't expect NY to beat PHO and I didn't expect NY to lose vs CON. But hey, 6-1 is still 6-1... Laimbeer may even win Coach of the Month with that record! Twisted Evil

Hey man, I would be thrilled to get out of this stretch 5-2 even. Laimbeer definitely deserves credit for getting the most out of the remaining group, no doubt.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A terrible game defensively. I think they'll rebound from this and Charles will have a career night vs. Dallas on Friday. We then get a week off and face Connecticut again, but this time at MSG. I see us taking those two. Then we get Prince & Vaughn back. That's when the real test begins and who stands out on the team.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody else think Tina looked less than 100% physically tonight?

PostPosted: 06/14/17 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also to me, especially early in the game, I thought they were very impatient when running offense. The lack of energy showed in their cuts and ball movement, neither of which were good. Not sharp at all, and it led to more 1-on-1 play than NY generally goes to. In this type of game, Piph's 1-on-1 ability might have made a difference in keeping NY afloat.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
That was upsetting on a number of levels. But I think having CT take it to NY physically is the most disappointing part. The urgency level is much higher on CTs side.

Rodgers has largely been a non-entity on both ends. Defensively the Libs yielded uncontested shots to players for just about the entire first quarter and it's a team with good perimeter players. Toss in 20 paint points and NY is doing very little within its identity to deter a hot and confident offensive team.

I'd expect more Liberty type defense in the second half. Whether we have enough offense to eliminate a 15 point lead is open to question. Curt Miller appears to have scouted the Libs very well and has his team buying in on the defensive end. Other than Z creating her shot 1-on-1 and neutralizing Nayo, they've done a terrific job on help defense and taking away the strengths of Sugar, Tina and Kiah.

Among other things CT had only one first half TO. There were a few loose balls that the Libs just didn't get after. It speaks to the Libs being really lacking in the energy needed to win.

Lindsay Allen has also passed up a few wide open shots. The absence of Piph really shows in this game so far in terms of the sagging CT D.

Lindsey Allen is not in the lineup to shoot. She's in for rebounding -- plain and simple. Don't believe me? She led the team in rebounds tonight.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/17 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a PG can't or won't shoot a wide open 15 footer then she can't be on the floor. Plain and simple. Though I assume from the latter part of your comment that you're kidding around.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Is there anything Bentley does better than Williams that would warrant her being a starter when she returns?

You are working under the assumption that the WNBA and the team decision makers make decisions based solely on basketball merit, skill, and performance. I wish it worked that way; the WNBA would be a much better league than it actually is. But it doesn't. Politics/favoritism rules the day, and the quality of the league suffers.

PostPosted: 06/14/17 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Thank goodness the Mercury cut that dead weight Courtney Williams before she dragged us down any further

The Mercury would NEVER unload a talented young guard like that. I mean, they've never done anything like that before Wink

PostPosted: 06/14/17 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

The Mercury would NEVER unload a talented young guard like that. I mean, they've never done anything like that before Wink

Nearly 4 hours. You're slipping!

PostPosted: 06/14/17 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll try to do better next time Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: