RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Angel for Emma plus DC's No. 1 next year? Angel is from Baltimore, I believe, though I think her family now lives in the Atlanta area. But still, returning "home" has always been a great excuse for W players who don't like their present summer address.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
How about Angel for Emma plus DC's No. 1 next year? Angel is from Baltimore, I believe, though I think her family now lives in the Atlanta area. But still, returning "home" has always been a great excuse for W players who don't like their present summer address.

No thank you.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They played all of four games with Meesseman (and went 2-2 after she arrived late and had no preseason). Deciding the concept is an abject disaster seems ridiculously premature.

Not sure if you watched those games. The eye test is clear (to me). It looked like Emma did not know how to play her game as a 5, with EDD at 4. Everybody seems more clear about their roles now. KThomas is playing her usual solid defense has more offense than she's ever shown anywhere and THawk generally is more effective on the offensive side of the floor.

~rAf
greg5222

PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

No thank you.

While I'm not a fan of Angel, she would solve the problem of a lack of firepower/scoring at the 3. Mystics would be able to compete with the likes of Minn or LA. Would she play second fiddle to EDD?

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

No thank you.

While I'm not a fan of Angel, she would solve the problem of a lack of firepower/scoring at the 3. Mystics would be able to compete with the likes of Minn or LA. Would she play second fiddle to EDD?

PostPosted: 06/08/17 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry for double post.

PostPosted: 06/08/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

No thank you.

I don't know about second fiddle, but Angel has had no difficulty playing with other big stars in Europe or on Team USA. The question is whether EDD would be willing to share the spotlight.

PostPosted: 06/08/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel seems to do better with other star players than anyone else.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/08/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
They played all of four games with Meesseman (and went 2-2 after she arrived late and had no preseason). Deciding the concept is an abject disaster seems ridiculously premature.

Not sure if you watched those games. The eye test is clear (to me). It looked like Emma did not know how to play her game as a 5, with EDD at 4. Everybody seems more clear about their roles now. KThomas is playing her usual solid defense has more offense than she's ever shown anywhere and THawk generally is more effective on the offensive side of the floor.

Yeah, I watched them. It was a team working out how to play with lots of new pieces at the start of the season. Since Meesseman left you've managed to beat mostly terrible teams. You don't throw away a visibly superior player after four games. At the very, very least, Meesseman can be a better version of Hawkins given a little time to adjust.

ETA: Kiah Stokes was a fat, untradeable, waste of space after five games this season. New York fans have changed their minds just a little after a few more. Just for one counter-example.

Last edited by Richyyy on 06/08/17 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg5222

PostPosted: 06/08/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Angel seems to do better with other star players than anyone else.

Good! Ok Mike T. Make it so. Cool

PostPosted: 06/08/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:

No thank you.

I second the no thank you.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/08/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do the Mystics not have the cap space to bring in someone temp. like New York, Chicago & Connecticut have?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/09/17 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, I watched them. It was a team working out how to play with lots of new pieces at the start of the season. Since Meesseman left you've managed to beat mostly terrible teams. You don't throw away a visibly superior player after four games. At the very, very least, Meesseman can be a better version of Hawkins given a little time to adjust.

ETA: Kiah Stokes was a fat, untradeable, waste of space after five games this season. New York fans have changed their minds just a little after a few more. Just for one counter-example.

I agree 100%. Give it time to work and if it doesnt work then let Emma come off the bench and have a 3 post rotation a la Sparks. KThomas doesnt have to play more then 20-23 minutes to be effective

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/09/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How much center did Meesseman play before this year? Is this new to her? During that period when Fowles was sitting out waiting for her trade to MN, EDD played a lot of C for Chicago. Elena is bigger than Emma, and Elena is a top notch shotblocker. Maybe she's the one who should be playing center. I know it means getting beat-up a bit in the post, but Parker does it for LA. Candace only weighs 175 lbs compared to EDD's listed 188. Center isn't Parker's best position either, but she does it because it's the best thing for the Sparks. I know EDD is the star, but if she cares about winning she should do whatever is best for the team. Otherwise, she really is a selfish princess like Sky fans are making her out to be.

PostPosted: 06/12/17 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the lineup I think can compete with Minnesota:

PG: Toliver/Cloud
SG: Hill/Latta/Walker-Kimbrough/Simms
SF: Ruffin-Pratt/Meeseman/Taylor
PF: Delle Donne/Meeseman
C: Thomas/Hawkins

We were FAR from full strength against Minny - especially in the post, without EDD & Emma. Everyone was scrambling and out of position except Krystal Thomas. Putting Meeseman on Maya could bother her shot, which hasn't been going in much anyway. One of the guards needs to cheat into the paint and force Minny's guards to beat us from outside.

Bottom line is this team is prime to gel at the end of the season. Whether Mike T puts Emma coming off the bench at the 5 or 3/4 will depend on what develops in practice between the players. But missing so much time means she must come off the bench as the starters have been set and K.Thomas is playing the best basketball of her pro career. She's always been above average as a defender and now she's added more offense. I still want a guard helping on Big Syl and Becky in the paint even when Krystal's in the game. Hawkins only plays the 5 when Sylvia's out of the game.

~rAf
Lumes

PostPosted: 06/13/17 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When TRP is healthy, she is terrific match-up for Maya, just look back at all those Stics games vs Lynx last two seasons. No need to put Meesseman on her.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/13/17 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TRP (with some help) is your best bet against Maya and certainly not Meesseman Laughing

Although with the way Maya is playing this season you might worry the most about Fowles instead of Maya. The more shots Maya takes instead of Fowles might be better..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/13/17 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The issue with Washington is that two starters cannot shoot, thus allowing a playoff defense (with time to prepare) to always have a double-team ready for EDD -- and though I think the world of EDD, she is not a good passer. (Then again, a bad shot for her probably has a better chance of going in than a good shot for TRP or Tayler Hill.)

Krystal Thomas is not really a scoring threat inside, so the Mystics really have just two scoring threats -- and that means Toliver and EDD will always be one dribble away from a double-team -- unless Meesseman is on the floor, and then who guards Fowles?

PostPosted: 06/13/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The issue with Washington is that two starters cannot shoot, thus allowing a playoff defense (with time to prepare) to always have a double-team ready for EDD -- and though I think the world of EDD, she is not a good passer. (Then again, a bad shot for her probably has a better chance of going in than a good shot for TRP or Tayler Hill.)

Krystal Thomas is not really a scoring threat inside, so the Mystics really have just two scoring threats -- and that means Toliver and EDD will always be one dribble away from a double-team -- unless Meesseman is on the floor, and then who guards Fowles?

Krystal now has several double figure scoring games and has shown interest in scoring on more than put backs. Hawkins has emerged as a suitable back up center. She provides more of an offensive threat that Krystal, but is nowhere near as good of a defender. Which is why I propose playing a tall lineup along with EDD and Meeseman.

Clearly TRP is the best defender of Maya. I suggest backing up with Meeseman because of 1) offense and 2) tall help with Fowles when THawk is in at center. And perhaps her height would bother Maya.

~rAf
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 06/13/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The issue with Washington is that two starters cannot shoot, thus allowing a playoff defense (with time to prepare) to always have a double-team ready for EDD -- and though I think the world of EDD, she is not a good passer. (Then again, a bad shot for her probably has a better chance of going in than a good shot for TRP or Tayler Hill.

I have watched EDD for a long time, your conclusion that she is not a good passer is wrong.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/13/17 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The main problem with determining whether Delle Donne is a good passer is the small sample size

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The main problem with determining whether Delle Donne is a good passer is the small sample size

If you want to say she does not pass the ball around as much as a lot of players, you will not get an argument out of me.

If you are saying she would be a better player if she took less shots or she should pass the ball more, then you will get a very, very big argument from me.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
ClayK wrote:
The issue with Washington is that two starters cannot shoot, thus allowing a playoff defense (with time to prepare) to always have a double-team ready for EDD -- and though I think the world of EDD, she is not a good passer. (Then again, a bad shot for her probably has a better chance of going in than a good shot for TRP or Tayler Hill.

I have watched EDD for a long time, your conclusion that she is not a good passer is wrong.

As a Mystics fan, I keep hoping to see signs that EDD can pass to her teammates in scoring position, but I have yet to see it. Part of the issue is that her teammates stop moving to get open - they get set for the rebound. Mike T has to attack this mindset - HARD. This is not Styx basketball under Mike T. He has to run drills in which EDD cannot shoot and must pass. The Mystics normally move around just fine so why do they stop?

~rAf
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
ClayK wrote:

As a Mystics fan, I keep hoping to see signs that EDD can pass to her teammates in scoring position, but I have yet to see it. Part of the issue is that her teammates stop moving to get open - they get set for the rebound. Mike T has to attack this mindset - HARD. This is not Styx basketball under Mike T. He has to run drills in which EDD cannot shoot and must pass. The Mystics normally move around just fine so why do they stop?

I agree, Mike T should have an offensive scheme giving the ball to EDD attacking the net with another Mystics player attacking with her. Give EDD the option to shoot the ball attacking the basket or pass the ball to the second player which should be open. This is how she played at UofD. She was excellent passing the ball to the open player attacking the basket. The defense will collapse on her and there will always be an open player for a layup.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/13/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It makes EDD less of a threat than she could be (which is saying something, considering how scary she is anyway). Teams know how ridiculously unlikely she is to pass, so they can slide across into the lane or double her with impunity, because she gets about one assist per night. Which is freaking ridiculous. If she wasn't so damn good anyway, we'd say she's never grown out of the college mindset where her team's only real option was her scoring.

For a player who draws so much attention, which should create open teammates all over the floor, it's crazy how ittle she creates for others.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: