Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/09/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
Does seem to make it less likely Wright is going to rejoin the team this season.

It depends. I always used to say in relation to Kara Lawson that if her body could only hold up for 15 games, it'd make much more sense to sign late and have it be the last 15 games (including playoffs) rather than the first 15. If the plan was always to have Wright play, but only for a month or two at the end of the season, then a dodgy start for a week or two wouldn't necessarily have changed anything.

I am skeptical that Wright will return this season. But the signing of Alston seems irrelevant to whether Wright returns. Barring a major surprise, Alston will be gone once Prince and Vaughn come back from Europe.

PostPosted: 06/09/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Bill will be asked about the signing tomorrow
at the STH Open Practice/BBQ

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/09/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alston probably knows the system better than Hopkins did. And unlike Hopkins can provide depth at both the 2 AND 1 positions. With Z logging all her minutes at the 3 spot, it kinda makes sense to have someone who can give Rodgers some rest without having to use an Allen/Hartley backcourt.

PostPosted: 06/09/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Alston probably knows the system better than Hopkins did. And unlike Hopkins can provide depth at both the 2 AND 1 positions. With Z logging all her minutes at the 3 spot, it kinda makes sense to have someone who can give Rodgers some rest without having to use an Allen/Hartley backcourt.

Yup.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/09/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great night for the Liberty in the standings. Washington, Seattle, and Los Angeles have all lost.

PostPosted: 06/09/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Great night for the Liberty in the standings. Washington, Seattle, and Los Angeles have all lost.

Currently tied for third at 5-3.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/10/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And honestly, right now, you can make a strong argument that the Libs are the favorite to end up as the 2 seed. Piph will give them a group of 5 where any player can provide scoring on a given night. Bec is showing signs of life. Nayo is improving. Hartley too. Lindsay Allen is a nice option to change pace and run offense.

I think the rebounding and defense are going to be there. The offense looks pretty well-balanced all of a sudden and should be fine upon Piph's return. If you're looking at weaknesses, I think DC and Seattle have more discernible weaknesses than NY. LA is good, but not dominant like last year. And their rebounding percentage isn't very good and defensively they're not where they were last year either. And I suspect they miss Toliver's ability to stretch the floor on offense as well.

And the Libs have a lot of players with young legs. Not a bad thing to have as the season wears on. No back-to-backs either. And only one game between 6/16 and 6/29, good timing with 2 players missing. After the Libs got screwed with last season's schedule, I'd say they got off very, very well this year.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have a report from that BBQ? Looked like a good time.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/10/17 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't go. Looked like a good time.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Open Practice/BBQ was great ...
Its nice to see the players in a different setting then MSG
The one thing that came across to me is how much the team likes each other!

It was a great time !

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
The Open Practice/BBQ was great ...
Its nice to see the players in a different setting then MSG
The one thing that came across to me is how much the team likes each other!

It was a great time !

Good to hear. The team seems like a likable bunch.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any projections on when Prince and Vaughn will be back? Would be nice to have them for the June 29th game at Washington.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Any projections on when Prince and Vaughn will be back? Would be nice to have them for the June 29th game at Washington.

They should be back by then. Only should miss their next three games(June 14, 16 & 23). A nice blessing to only have 3 more games over the next 2 weeks.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/11/17 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also feel with LA not playing like they did last year, our competition for that #2 seed is now Los Angeles & Washington. I thought we'd be fighting for the #3/#4 seed, but I see that #2 seed within reach. Seattle & Phoenix have been up & down this season. And then there's the rest. let's make it happen!

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/11/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

They should be back by then. Only should miss their next three games(June 14, 16 & 23). A nice blessing to only have 3 more games over the next 2 weeks.

Next 3 despite CT making their traditional midseason surge are 3 VERY winnable games...anything less than 2/3 would be bad...a sweep would be a suddenly excellent position...we will see...this was a very important win clinches a winning record in the 7 games without Vaughn and prince...could be a pivot point

Agree that their return will be at a KEY moment...AT DC Phx and SEA and that game at SEA is an EXTREMELY important tie breaker game...could easily be the difference between 3rd and 4th if we're in that pod.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty are a good team, but I don't see them as a 2 seed. Washington and LA should battle for that and the Liberty, Phoenix and Storm should battle for the 4 seed, barring injuries.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/11/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The Liberty are a good team, but I don't see them as a 2 seed. Washington and LA should battle for that and the Liberty, Phoenix and Storm should battle for the 4 seed, barring injuries.

Washington is 7-3 and has the second-best record in the league. But they haven't yet beaten a team that's over .500. They've lost to Minnesota, Los Angeles, and Seattle. Until they demonstrate that they can beat the better teams in the league, I'm not seeing them as a #2 seed.

New York, like Washington, has lost to Minnesota and Los Angeles. But the Liberty are 2-0 against Phoenix and 1-1 against Seattle. Right now, I believe New York has the better case for becoming a #2 seed.

Bottom line: there's a long way to go.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still so little coming from Amanda Zahui B, even with Vaughn in Europe. Today, Zahui B played 3 minutes, 14 seconds. In these four wins, she's averaged six minutes on the court. And she seems to have minimal presence either offensively or defensively.

When Vaughn was leaving, these June games seemed an opportunity for Zahui B to get more playing time and step up. Not so far. Laimbeer hasn't shown much confidence in her and has obviously given that playing time to Raincock-Ekunwe, even though she's not a center.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Prince and Vaughn have been gone, and since they've been gone we've been winning......hmmmmm

genesis1272

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Prince and Vaughn have been gone, and since they've been gone we've been winning......hmmmmm

genesis1272

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gah- sorry for the double post!

toad455

PostPosted: 06/12/17 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think once Prince & Vaughn return we'll be stronger. Neither one of them were a weak link during the first few games. Our weak links were Stokes, Zellous, Hartley & Zahui B. Three of those four have improved drastically.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm thinking that we've got a great shot for the #1 seed if it's decided not on won/loss record during the regular season but rather on the pages of comments on each team's Rebkell thread.

Current standings:

New York 31 pages
Dallas 15
Chicago 11
Los Angeles 10
Phoenix 10
Connecticut 8
Washington 8
San Antonio 7
Seattle 6
Atlanta 6
Minnesota 6
Indiana 5

But perhaps this rating system isn't fair, since it doesn't take into account how much each team's fans comment on individual game threads.

There's also this. If your team has won three recent championships, came close to winning another last season, and is currently undefeated, perhaps there isn't so much to say about them. Smile

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob,

No question about it, NY leads in fan engagement by a wide margin. I suspect part of it is just due to the personalities involved (and I say that as a compliment - I enjoy reading most of the Liberty comments) but the team deserves credit for engaging the fans as well.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/13/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Bob,

No question about it, NY leads in fan engagement by a wide margin. I suspect part of it is just due to the personalities involved (and I say that as a compliment - I enjoy reading most of the Liberty comments) but the team deserves credit for engaging the fans as well.

Thanks, Randy. It's interesting. There are Liberty fans who post a lot here who know far more about basketball than I do and who I learn from. That's one of the reasons I come here. But there are certainly lots of knowledgeable fans all over the country.

I wonder why the differential is so great in pages of comments per team. How much of it is that New York (the entire metropolitan area) is a far bigger market than most WNBA franchises? How much does it reflect the long and passionate history of basketball in New York (despite all the failures of the Knicks)? In terms of the WNBA, how much does it reflect what you've suggested: the organization's successful efforts to engage fans?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 62 of 80

Jump to: