RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Plum and the league agenda
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:14 pm    ::: Plum and the league agenda Reply Reply with quote

I debated on making this topic, but I feel it needs to be made. What has Plum done to warrant having her picture all over WNBA.com and the WNBA app every time the Stars play or all this hype? And how did she go from bench player barely getting any PT to starter playing big minutes literally over night? I'm not saying the front office is saying "play this player," but there has to be some kind of pressure that finds it's way down to the team. Are we just supposed to sit here and accept it? I get it, she's hot, has a nice smile, and all the works. But why can Reb users put other players through the washer and hung out to dry yet a player like Plum it's "oh she's just finding her stride," "oh it's just a bad a game, she'll come around," "her teammates aren't passing to her," etc etc. Right now, Chong is more effective as a third round pick. I sat here and read people calling my favorite player fat, overrrated, overhyped, etc. for years.yet Plum comes along and gets a free pass?

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum is a Banham clone and both are going to be huge busts and will never amount to much of anything. Mark my words. Shame that Moriah Jefferson lost her starting job to Her and is only about 100x the player Plum is. The entire Stars organization, from front office to coaching to GM don't have two clues about anything. I hope the Stars trade Jefferson to a worthy team where she can become one of the top PGs in the league. They already traded Robinson which was stupid. In no sane world is Jefferson a backup PG to Plum. I guess if Jefferson were white she'd probably still be the starting PG. The Stars should have stayed with plan A and traded Plum to Chicago.

I have a feeling both Plum and Banham will fizzle out of the league entirely over the next several years.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think fans are too quick to dismiss the likelihood of development so I think showing understanding that she's a rookie who will improve eventually is a good thing.

But I was taken aback by her pic being on WNBA.com also. But she looks good and in my opinion that hasn't necessarily hurt the wiggle room that players have been given to improve in the past.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Plum is a long way from WNBA game shape. Just a hunch I could be wrong. But that's what I see.

She has skills that she can't use because she looks like she's stuck in quicksand. It's not just being slow for sake of athleticism. I think there's a conditioning issue.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/10/17 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And she was the #1 overall pick and the leading scorer in NCAA history. That player's going to be paid some attention, even if they haven't done anything in the League yet.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you're the #1 pick in the draft you're gonna get hype.

Plum is better than Banham, but not a likely star.

As for Jefferson, she's overrated but not terrible. Stars should have kept Robinson, who is better than either Jefferson or Plum.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What did Shoni Schimmel do?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/10/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
What did Shoni Schimmel do?

This isn't about Shoni. She can be donezo for all I care..but if you must ask, two time All Star, All Star MVP, Celeb NBA All-Star, Player of the Week, one of League wise leaders in assists as a rookie and part of regular season conference champ. Even Sammy P put up way better numbers than Plum at this point.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/10/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think assuming the league has an agenda is assuming the league is competent enough to have an organized agenda. I work under the assumption they have a very short list of talking points and have trouble thinking outside the box (and it's a small box).

There's still an element of the hype train present, don't get me wrong, but on the other hand, what serves as a better advertisement for the Stars? "Kelsey Plum might do something!" or "Do you like dumpster fires? Because boy howdy do we have a dumpster fire for you!"?

(now with spelling variations)
toad455

PostPosted: 06/10/17 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what to make of Plum. She's looked terrible. Question for pilight: has a #1 pick ever failed to make the All-Rookie team?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Not sure what to make of Plum. She's looked terrible. Question for pilight: has a #1 pick ever failed to make the All-Rookie team?

Yes. Janel McCarville did not make the All Rookie team in 2005, the first year the team was named.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"league agenda" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing
Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 06/10/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never thought Plum was a good fit with SA.However,I believe Plum's struggles has more to do with her ankle,lack of fitness,timing,and VJ inconsistent rotations.Plum had a great preseason game 19p/5a/0to...then all of a sudden,she gets hurt.The ankle injury took away Plum's momentum,rhythm,and confidence.She's become tentative on offense,and has no real chemistry with her teammates.What Plum needs is steady minutes in a consistent rotation.Not 25 minutes one night,then 10 minutes the next.VJ's main concern should be developing SA young players,not winning basketball games.Acquiring Desouza,and not trading Currie was stupid imo........Plum,Coffey,and Harrison should all be playing 20+ minutes a game.......Plum will be fine.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/11/17 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think Plum can turn it around. With that said it is really weird that she is the starting PG, when their sophomore starting PG is clearly the better PG. I wouldn't be too shocked if pressure came from somewhere to make that happen. I don't think the league, maybe team management thought focusing on their exciting #1 draft pick was a better selling point for a young team that isn't going to win much, or from the players agent, though I'm not so sure how much power they have, but possibly the threat to sit out wasn't as far from the truth as we were lead to believe. On the other hand Plum played 12 minutes tonight and Jefferson 31, it was a close, winnable game, which leads me to believe VJ has more faith in Jefferson than Plum when push comes to shove.

stever

PostPosted: 06/11/17 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When SA gave Johnson a one year contract, it seemed a little odd...now...notsomuch.

blaase22

PostPosted: 06/11/17 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

plum - I aint impressed... at all!
Players have gotten twisted ankles before and played much better when they got back.
Yeah she put up crazy stats in the pac 12 but so did Jillian Alleyne and she's not even on a W roster.

miller40

PostPosted: 06/11/17 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And she was the #1 overall pick and the leading scorer in NCAA history. That player's going to be paid some attention, even if they haven't done anything in the League yet.

How does Plum hype compare to Stiles hype? I don't remember.

stever

PostPosted: 06/11/17 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Coming from a (low)mid-major program, I remember Stiles' hype being much larger, and then she's named ROY over Lauren Jackson, to boot.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/11/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Coming from a (low)mid-major program, I remember Stiles' hype being much larger, and then she's named ROY over Lauren Jackson, to boot.

Stiles also played much better as a rookie than Plum has so far.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Exactly.
I just don't get why everybody seems to dislike her. She's awesome. She may not get to show it in SA but I think she'll pan out sooner then later.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Exactly.
I just don't get why everybody seems to dislike her. She's awesome. She may not get to show it in SA but I think she'll pan out sooner then later.

Folks don't like to give players time to develop - especially if they are being hyped. They want instantaneous results or their money back - NOW!!! Laughing

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone remember how awful Diggins was as a rookie? Sometimes it takes a while. One of the main things Plum needs to work on is her core strength, just to live with the athletes at this level. Diggins had the same issue, and it's going to take some time.

Which isn't to say that she won't be a bust. Just that declaring her a bust already is kinda crazy and unfair.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, PGs tend to have the hardest time transitioning to the pro level. Now whether Plum stays a PG in the league has yet to be determined. But we've seen plenty of SGs transition to PG(Clarendon, Pondexter, Taurasi, Quinn, etc.). Way too early to determine Plum's future based off of a few games.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Also, PGs tend to have the hardest time transitioning to the pro level. Now whether Plum stays a PG in the league has yet to be determined. But we've seen plenty of SGs transition to PG(Clarendon, Pondexter, Taurasi, Quinn, etc.).

Becky Hammon, to name another.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/11/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing I notice is that she seems to be playing tentative and not just letting it flow. It's almost like she's trying hard to 'fit in' or maybe do what she thinks she is supposed to do instead of letting instinct take over. And yeah, it looks like there is tension between teammates on that team. It's kind of natural for that to happen with a loser team and a rookie getting lots of hype that some of them are going to resent her. Hopefully her natural good humor and good grace will smooth the way. She needs to be like Becky her rookie year and just keep getting back up when VJ clobbers her. She has a lot of talent but hasn't shown it yet.

Also the face of the team right now should be KMac. She should be the one getting the hype!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: