PG: Toliver/Latta/Cloud
SG: Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Simms
SF: Ruffin-Pratt/Taylor
PF: Delle Donne/Hawkins
C: Meesseman/Thomas

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/13/17 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics on their 2017 Opening Day Roster will have 7 players who weren't with the team at the end of the 2016 WNBA season.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/13/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gene Wang writes in the Washington Post that Emma will play the four games at the start of the season for the Mystics and then fly back to Belgium to be with her national team for the FIBA world championships qualifying. She's expected to miss roughly one month while overseas.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 05/14/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Elena will be on Sports Center on Sunday Morning. Shows her playing dodge ball.

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/862770561558093825

A video of the dodge ball game played. This game was showed on ESPN this morning. The 6'2' older blonde women is Elena's Mom.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/video/19364161/elena-delle-donne-dominates-more-one-court

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington Mystics head coach Mike Thibault signs four-year contract extension
Quote:

“We are excited about the work that Mike has done in working to establish the Mystics as one of the premier teams in the WNBA and are pleased to have him lead us for years to come.,” said Sheila C. Johnson, Monumental Sports & Entertainment vice chairman and Mystics managing partner.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be intrigued to know how the value of Thibault's extension compares to Taurasi's from yesterday. I'd be willing to bet that Mike's on at least double, probably more like triple what Taurasi's getting.

Would be interesting if they considered putting coach salaries under the salary cap in the next CBA...

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'd be intrigued to know how the value of Thibault's extension compares to Taurasi's from yesterday. I'd be willing to bet that Mike's on at least double, probably more like triple what Taurasi's getting.

Would be interesting if they considered putting coach salaries under the salary cap in the next CBA...

In 2014 assistant coaches were getting basically the same as a max player salary

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-dream-refuses-pay-assistant-coach-lawsuit-says/q5tvnQAmZ0Kr64oTXIMpUN/

Quote:
Ciampi got cut when a new head coach joined the team but the team won’t pay the remaining months on the $100,000-a-year contract.

PostPosted: 05/26/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Meeseman is gone for a month. Here is how the lineup looks now:

PG: Toliver/Latta/Cloud
SG: Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Simms
SF: Ruffin-Pratt/Cloud
PF: Delle Donne/Taylor
C: Thomas/Hawkins

Meesseman - not with the team

Since SWK & Simms are not playing much, Hill and TRP are getting breathers by committee. Mostly Cloud comes in at the 1 & 3 and Latta at the 2.

Some observations:

1) Starters are mostly doing their jobs - KThomas is a better center than Meeseman NOTE: I am NOT NOT NOT saying she's a better player!
2) THawk is off to a great start, but will get eaten alive by Griner/Fowles at center
3) 5 players sharing 3 positions in the backcourt can work, but hopefully SWK & Simms are progressing in practice
4) TRP is a MAJOR glue player
5) KTO's shot is way off. Could it be related to the tape on her forearm/elbow area of her shooting arm?
6) Hill is finally making a claim as the "4th to see" in that "3 to see" class

Here's what needs to happen for this team to compete for a title: Acquire a starting center. Period. Moving EDD or Meeseman to the 3 is better than either playing center. Since EDD is willing to take over when needed and Emma is not, her presence makes the Mystics a competitor. It has been extremely sad to watch Emma disappear, since she has All*Star talent and had the highest 3 pt % on the team last year.

It looks like Mike T should have given up Emma instead of Dolson, as hard as that is to say about our future star. But Dolson is not actually the center to get the team competing with Minny or LA. I'm not sure how Mike T will solve this puzzle with beautiful pieces that don't fit together.

Final comment: this team needs a starting center. And a healthy KTO.

~rAf
toad455

PostPosted: 05/26/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aren't they allowed to bring in someone during the time Meesseman will be missing? I know for New York, they'll be bringing someone (likely two) when prince & Vaughn are out.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/26/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aren't they allowed to bring in someone during the time Meesseman will be missing? I know for New York, they'll be bringing someone (likely two) when prince & Vaughn are out.

I know they're playing with the cap, which is why Kia Vaughn had to go to make room for KTO. Short suspensions count against the cap. I don't know if there are any players under rookie contract who could help this team. Not sure who is maxed besides KTO and EDD. Ivory, Tayler & TRP should have non max veteran contracts. There should be room, likely only for a rookie contract, though.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/27/17 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations goes out to the New ODU Women's Basketball Head Coach Nikki McCray-Penson

toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

update on the Wizards' practice facility & new Mystics arena. Timetable is still set to open in Sept./Oct. 2018.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/31/wizards-expect-a-d-league-team-in-place-for-2018-1/

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/03/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
update on the Wizards' practice facility & new Mystics arena. Timetable is still set to open in Sept./Oct. 2018.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/31/wizards-expect-a-d-league-team-in-place-for-2018-1/

They kind of mention the Mystics as an afterthought. The important thing is that D-League team!

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/03/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They kind of mention the Mystics as an afterthought. The important thing is that D-League team!

UGH! Pretty much expresses Leonsis' concern with the Mystics. They are the JV team to the Varsity D League men's team. Bringing Arena Football to the phone booth.

4,200 seats! Says it all. Going for the "lowest attendance" record here. Will they get a banner for it?

~rAf
toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

it definitely seems like the NBA is more concerned with the D-League(soon to be Gatorade League) than the WNBA. The D-league is expected to reach 30 teams by the 2018-19 season. I know it's probably cheaper to run a G-League team and attendances aren't anything close to WNBA crowds, but it's kind of sad that the NBA farm league keeps more attention sometimes than the WNBA.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/06/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK - the Meeseman at Center experiment is officially over. K.Thomas & Hawkins are doing just fine and the team fits together better with them at Center.

So, what to do with the wonderful Emma when she returns? Her position and game are similar (but not identical) to EDD. Differences are that Emma is a better (way more accurate) 3 pt shooter AND a better passer. EDD is one of the best scorers in the game and is starting to be more assertive on defense blocking shots.

The big question is: can either of them defend the 3 for short spurts of the game? I think it will make sense for chemistry purposes to bring Emma off the bench when she returns. Bring her in to replace either TRP or EDD, then stay in the game when the other needs a breather. I could see Emma getting 2 four minute spurts at the 3 and 12+ at the 4. With Emma's deadly 3 pt shot, she could certainly add offense over what TRP gives. But how could she defend a player like Christmas-Kelly?

And, by the way, the real KTO has shown up now and this team is blazing hot! And I didn't see K.Thomas scoring 10 pts!

Let's hear it for our red hot Mystics!

~rAf
toad455

PostPosted: 06/06/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's clear the team would've been better trading Meesseman than Dolson. Dolson & Thomas at center with Hawkins backing up EDD at PF. Meesseman should come off the bench when she returns.

Lumes

PostPosted: 06/07/17 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the opposite - Mystics didn't looked like contenders at all vs CT and Atlanta. Dream almost killed them in the second half, two-three minutes more, and Atlanta would take this game.

K Thomas is OK. She will let you not to give up on boards, but that's all. Washington is still very often looks terrible on 3pt line (8th on percentage), although they have best shooters in the league. They just need better ball movement and better chemistry in attack. With such roster you shouldn't overmuscle opponents, overrun them!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/07/17 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lumes wrote:
I think the opposite - Mystics didn't looked like contenders at all vs CT and Atlanta. Dream almost killed them in the second half, two-three minutes more, and Atlanta would take this game.

K Thomas is OK. She will let you not to give up on boards, but that's all. Washington is still very often looks terrible on 3pt line (8th on percentage), although they have best shooters in the league. They just need better ball movement and better chemistry in attack. With such roster you shouldn't overmuscle opponents, overrun them!

Still dont think they look like contenders neither . Sure they scored a million points against my wings , But everyone knows WE DONT defend like we should . I think the Minny game will prove if they are for real or not *Styx*

PostPosted: 06/07/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lumes wrote:

Some people are just born "Debbie Downers." The Styx are on a FIVE game win streak after losing the best player on the team from last year. Did I ever say K.Thomas was better than "OK?" I said that I didn't expect 10 pts from her and was psyched that we got that. Maybe you got confused about who "KTO" is. that's Kristi Toliver. The player known for hitting shots while being blanketed by a defender and falling down while she shoots. That KTO has just finally showed up and that is HUGE for this team!

And while we're talking, let's look at team chemistry - the stuff that develops from players playing and practicing together. Team starts the year with 2 players playing the same position as last year and 1 player trying to play a new position. Team loses last year's best player who tried her best to play a new position but it didn't work and the team starts playing better after she leaves. Then TWO key rotation players get injured, missing practices and one game. Boom - another hit to chemistry. Finally, the players who are here are healthy and the players can learn how to play together. Clearly they need it.

BUT THEY'RE WINNING. They'll likely lose to Minny and also a few other games. But right now THEY ARE WINNING. And they haven't had time yet to learn to play together.

That is all. This Mystics fan is excited to have a team that's WINNING games.

~rAf
wnbafan

PostPosted: 06/07/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
This Mystics fan is excited to have a team that's WINNING games.

GO MYSTICS! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

greg5222

PostPosted: 06/07/17 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2nd best team in standings right now is good. What can Meeseman bring in a trade to improve the team is the real question.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 06/08/17 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
2nd best team in standings right now is good. What can Meeseman bring in a trade to improve the team is the real question.

I wouldn't trade Meesseman. Plus, there's a good chance Meesseman only wants to play for the Mystics and Mike Thibault while playing in the WNBA.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/08/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:

It is very hard to contemplate letting go of the Meese! She is SO talented and SO young still. That's why I tried to think of a way in which she could stay that would benefit her and the team. Playing her at center with EDD at the 4 is CLEARLY not working.

The team will develop chemistry while she's out of the country and they will need time to develop chemistry when she returns. Since EDD & Emma can't both play the 4 at the same time, Mike T has to put on his thinking cap here. Both Emma & EDD are 25-30 mpg players.

This has some similarity to the issues in LA with the tall lineup, except one of their 4's can play the 5. But putting starter quality Lavender coming off the bench was the key to getting the ring. Mike T has to figure out how to put these great puzzle pieces together and it will likely involve a starter quality/All Star coming off the bench.

~rAf
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/08/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They played all of four games with Meesseman (and went 2-2 after she arrived late and had no preseason). Deciding the concept is an abject disaster seems ridiculously premature.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: