RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/31/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this team desperately needs some excitement and energy, hopefully L.Allen can bring some young new energy in this team. Because it has become the old walking dead of Zombies, thanks to our wonderful BIG 3 (Stokes,Hartley, Zahui B)

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/02/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe Wrote Her Own Story
http://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/06/02/nayo-raincock-ekunwe-wrote-her-own-story/

PostPosted: 06/02/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So do the Liberty keep L. Allen and dump either Burdick or R. Allen? I guess no one will be coming in to temp. replace Vaughn?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe Wrote Her Own Story
http://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/06/02/nayo-raincock-ekunwe-wrote-her-own-story/

great story. hopefully her mom digs up that letter she wrote in 5th grade.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty have signed PG Chelsea Hopkins. She'll be available starting with tomorrow's game vs. Phoenix.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/31/wizards-expect-a-d-league-team-in-place-for-2018-1/

For the next three weeks, we'll have:

PG: Hartley/L. Allen/Hopkins
SG: Rodgers/[Zellous/Hartley]
SF: Zellous/R. Allen/Burdick
PF: Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
C: Stokes/Zahui B.

I think once Prince & Vaughn return, Laimbeer keeps L. Allen and waives Burdick.

PG: Prince/L. Allen
SG: Rodgers/Hartley
SF: Zellous/R. Allen
PF: Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe/Zahui B.
C: Stokes/Vaughn

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/03/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol she liked my tweet last week when i suggested they should sign her and BOOM they did. Good pick up need a lil bit more experience and insurance at the PG.

interesting enuff they went with another guard then a post player

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/03/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think once Prince & Vaughn return, Laimbeer keeps L. Allen and waives Burdick.

At this point they might end up fishing around for someone to give them a second-round pick for Zahui B. Feels like it might be getting towards the point where Laimbeer is considering giving up on her, but given the raw skills and her Euro season I could see them getting that for her. Probably not much more at the moment though. Maybe a bench player that someone else doesn't hugely want.

PostPosted: 06/03/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

At this point they might end up fishing around for someone to give them a second-round pick for Zahui B. Feels like it might be getting towards the point where Laimbeer is considering giving up on her, but given the raw skills and her Euro season I could see them getting that for her. Probably not much more at the moment though. Maybe a bench player that someone else doesn't hugely want.

I think she's injured actually, played her minutes then was on some weird foot rolling contraption standing the rest of the game...shoe off. Would make her DNPs make more sense...if its Plantar related...could be a good reason why we don't see her.

Before seeing that happen I was 10000% with you on her but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt if indeed she was/is injured.

PostPosted: 06/03/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to see Hopkins was brought in. Probably not the best news for L. Allen, instead of bringing in a post to replace Vaughn they brought in another PG to audition.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/04/17 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Glad to see Hopkins was brought in. Probably not the best news for L. Allen, instead of bringing in a post to replace Vaughn they brought in another PG to audition.

Well, L Allen was brought back in first. And Laimbeer has praised her in any interviews. I think bringing in Hopkins over a post(i.e. Kai James) is just insurance. Plus I think Hartley will split her time now between PG & SG.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/04/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Well, L Allen was brought back in first. And Laimbeer has praised her in any interviews. I think bringing in Hopkins over a post(i.e. Kai James) is just insurance. Plus I think Hartley will split her time now between PG & SG.

More of B than A...I bet and I saw that he thinks he can rotate Burdick and Raincock...even play some Charles at the 5 across the front line. But Hartley needs to get off the 1

Hartley had 10 last game. Almost all of that came from a spurt where she was wheeled to 2 with L. Allen at 1.

Adding Hopkins hopefully eats more Mins from Hartley at the 1 (tho I think Bria still starts there) and opens up more productivity.

We'll see...interesting times indeed

PostPosted: 06/04/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

completely agree that Hartley is better off at SG. Hopefully once Prince comes back we see very little of Hartley at PG and L. Allen is kept for the rest of the season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/04/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

More of B than A...I bet and I saw that he thinks he can rotate Burdick and Raincock...even play some Charles at the 5 across the front line. But Hartley needs to get off the 1

Hartley had 10 last game. Almost all of that came from a spurt where she was wheeled to 2 with L. Allen at 1.

Adding Hopkins hopefully eats more Mins from Hartley at the 1 (tho I think Bria still starts there) and opens up more productivity.

I thought the Charles at the 5 stuff was purely an in-game reactionary move. Dallas said "Your 5s can't hurt us (especially when Stokes is resting), so we're going super-small." And then when the Wings were doing things like Christmas-Kelly/Thornton as their 4/5 pairing, New York went small as well with Raincock-Ekunwe/Charles. I'd be surprised if we saw too much of that against teams playing proper posts.

But with Vaughn gone, it rather depends on whether Laimbeer thinks Zahui B is actually playable. If she's not, then the only backup option for Stokes is Charles, so it's unavoidable for now.

PostPosted: 06/04/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I thought the Charles at the 5 stuff was purely an in-game reactionary move. Dallas said "Your 5s can't hurt us (especially when Stokes is resting), so we're going super-small." And then when the Wings were doing things like Christmas-Kelly/Thornton as their 4/5 pairing, New York went small as well with Raincock-Ekunwe/Charles. I'd be surprised if we saw too much of that against teams playing proper posts.

But with Vaughn gone, it rather depends on whether Laimbeer thinks Zahui B is actually playable. If she's not, then the only backup option for Stokes is Charles, so it's unavoidable for now.

Charles also played a lot of center against LA. There was a long stretch in the second half when she matched up against Parker and NRE guarded Nneka. It's clear that Laimbeer is totally winging it now. After hardly using Charles at center (if at all) for the last two seasons, she's now back at center. The guy who openly expresses his preference for big guards suddenly has a bunch of 5-8/5-9 guards and a 5-10 SF. When Tina is in the middle with NRE at 4, they are also small in the post. He's not cutting back Tina's minutes like he said he would. He's not using his bench in waves like he said he would. They do look like they're trying to run like he said they would, but it doesn't seem to be producing results. So, I doubt there is any kind of plan. It's a free-for-all. Bill is making decisions by the seat of his pants. Not that I necessarily expect anything else given that he's missing three rotations players. However, I think it's a waste of time to do much analysis or to try to discern a pattern. Decisions are going to be game to game, minute by minute.

PostPosted: 06/04/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So perhaps those Liberty fans who were in a rush to trade Kiah Stokes were a little premature? Smile

PostPosted: 06/04/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to say a word about Leilani Mitchell. When the Mercury came onto the floor today for their warmups, Mitchell was right behind Brittney Griner on the layup line. The difference was startling.

Mitchell is listed on the WNBA website as 5' 5". I'm skeptical. This is her ninth season in the WNBA and we know she's played in Australia and elsewhere. Some very small point guards who've played in the NBA or the WNBA have had blazing speed. Mitchell doesn't. Some have had outstanding leaping ability. Mitchell doesn't. She has a huge height disadvantage on defense. She can drive around lots of defenders, but often gets her layups blocked.

And yet she's had a fine career and had a very good game tonight. While both Bria Hartley and Lindsay Allen had positive moments for New York, Leilani Mitchell ran her team far better than the Liberty point guards ran ours.

I have great admiration for Mitchell. Imagine all the people she's faced in her life who laughed at her ambition to play basketball. But she's still out there, about to turn 32 years old, playing in the WNBA and playing well.

PostPosted: 06/04/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell is not only playing well, she's actually playing better than ever. Leilani gets into the paint and creates for herself and teammates much more effectively than she did when she played in New York. Having a chance to be the first or second option in Australia really instilled her with confidence. That in turn made FLB more aggressive and it has raised her game

So, Stokes who was fat on Tuesday is now in great shape on Sunday. Laughing Razz She needs to market this miracle five-day diet. Watch out, Oprah!

PostPosted: 06/04/17 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Mitchell is not only playing well, she's actually playing better than ever. Leilani gets into the paint and creates for herself and teammates much more effectively than she did when she played in New York. Having a chance to be the first or second option in Australia really instilled her with confidence. That in turn made FLB more aggressive and it has raised her game

So, Stokes who was fat on Tuesday is now in great shape on Sunday. Laughing Razz She needs to market this miracle five-day diet. Watch out, Oprah!

It would have been very difficult for Leilani Mitchell to play with confidence in her latter years with the Liberty. It's no secret why.

I love your comment about Stokes. The view that she had gained so much weight or was so out of shape never made any sense to me. And what if her next two games don't go well? Will it be said that she again gained weight and has gotten out of shape? It's so hard to maintain those miracle five-day diets. Smile

PostPosted: 06/04/17 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The interesting thing about Mitchell standing next to Griner is that Mitchell is probably about the height of an average woman (and about the same height as me). Gives an idea of how big Griner really is.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/04/17 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very happy for Stokes. I've been a fan of hers since she got to NY and before. I like rooting for her.

Yes I tried to come up with a bunch of trades including her (I like making up trades), but more than once I said I hope she turns it around because I like her, and I had faith she could. Exhibit A she is on my fantasy team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/04/17 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The interesting thing about Mitchell standing next to Griner is that Mitchell is probably about the height of an average woman (and about the same height as me). Gives an idea of how big Griner really is.

Reminds me of my partner (average size guy) who met Kareem once and said he came face to belt buckle with him.

- Amanda Gorman
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 06/05/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes woke up, woke up the neighborhood too.

Happycappie25 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Zahui B.

I think she's injured actually, played her minutes then was on some weird foot rolling contraption standing the rest of the game...shoe off. Would make her DNPs make more sense...if its Plantar related...could be a good reason why we don't see her.

Before seeing that happen I was 10000% with you on her but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt if indeed she was/is injured.

As of April 5th :

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Is Zahui B. hurt? She hasn't played for quite awhile.

LFO wrote:
Hamstring

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/05/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the offseason, there was discussion on this board about who would supply the leadership for the Liberty that was lost when Swin Cash retired and Tanisha Wright decided to sit out the season. I said I believed that a lot of it would come from Tina Charles, that it would have made sense in previous seasons for her to defer to Cash and Wright. Some questioned that and insisted that Charles simply wasn't that kind of vocal leader.

So I'd like to note comments made by Kiah Stokes. She is quoted as follows in a story by Lenn Robbins posted on the Liberty's Facebook page: "Our best player, Tina Charles, said 'I want you to shoot the ball. Don't just rely on me,' Stokes said. 'When you've got your best player telling you to shoot the ball, I mean that should give you confidence right there.'"

PostPosted: 06/05/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

It would have been very difficult for Leilani Mitchell to play with confidence in her latter years with the Liberty. It's no secret why.

I love your comment about Stokes. The view that she had gained so much weight or was so out of shape never made any sense to me. And what if her next two games don't go well? Will it be said that she again gained weight and has gotten out of shape? It's so hard to maintain those miracle five-day diets. Smile

I have no idea why FLB could not play with confidence with the Liberty. Unless it was BL's constant remarks against having short players on his team. Kharma's a bitch.

~rAf
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/07/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I'm writing is based on a ridiculously small sample: three games. I may be proven spectacularly wrong. But I suspect that the Liberty blundered in releasing Lindsay Allen at the end of training camp. And I'm glad no other team signed her.

Allen looks to me like our point guard of the present (whether or not she's the starter) and the future. Today 14+ minutes for Bria Hartley; 23 minutes, including crunch time, for Allen. And she didn't look like a rookie point guard. She seemed poised and under control.

I know that Bill Laimbeer prefers a tall "lead guard" rather than a short, classic point guard. Maybe he's right when you've got a tall lead guard who's an All Star. But when I consider all the lead guards I've seen with New York under Laimbeer, beginning with Cappie Pondexter, none of it has seemed so wonderful to me. What if we have an actual point guard play point guard/lead guard?

I realize that if Allen plays well at point guard this will raise questions about what happens with Prince, Rodgers, and Zellous. Can the Liberty win close games with Allen and two of the others on the court in the 4th quarter? Perhaps we're going to find out.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 59 of 80

Jump to: