RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Not wanting to derail the transfers thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/06/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
There are a lot of concerning issues about this case. As I said previously, trouble has been simmering for a while, and reportedly there have been all sorts of team meetings over the past several years to try to improve things. Cooper has also been in trouble before, which apparently influenced the university's decision. I don't know if CHW is just ineffective and failed to put her foot down soon enough, or if this mess reflects the entitlement and behavioral issues that other coaches have brought up recently. I do think these players are immature in bringing their issues onto the court. Parker's teams reportedly hated each other but were able to put that aside once they put on their uniforms and have a couple of rings to show for it.

Since Te'a has apparently been in enough trouble to get the disciplinary committee involved, and it wasn't a first offense, and she was going to be given choice of leaving voluntarily or....well, I would say that what the fight boiled down to was something extremely serious and a whole lot more than anything y'all may have suggested. In my estimation, the fight may more likely have been about the honor and reputation of the team and possibly CHW. I believe that Jaime is one of the tri-captains of the team and the player most respected by the others, therefore it fell to her to defend that honor. I'm also willing to bet that Te'a (and not DD, as a lot of people want you to believe) has been the primary s**t-stirrer and source of disordered chemistry on the team, even though she wasn't playing this past year, and may even have been a major reason for Alexa Middleton's departure. It will be interesting to see how things go next year.

BTW, I do know a little bit about how the disciplinary committee works as my dad was on it at UT once upon a time. The things you have to do as an athlete to get kicked out aren't pretty.

PostPosted: 06/06/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:
First, one would think the coaching staff would be aware on its own of the tension between the players, and if not, that other players would let them know.

In general, I would agree with you. HOWEVER, as a former teacher/coach, I was always surprised at how sophisticated even little kids can be in obstruction of truth, LOL.

Now. Take high-profile, sophisticated, street-smart college-aged kids. Add in a cause for fighting that NONE of their peers would rat them out on (i.e., romantic entanglements?) and a LOT can happen without coaches knowing of it all.

Just sayin'.

Completely agree. Coaches can be kept in the dark if players want them to be.

Of course ... but the problem here, it seems to me, is that the players wanted the coaches to be in the dark. In a more cohesive program, that would not be what the players wanted.

Who says the coaches were in the dark on this one, or that the fistfight was even the real reason for Cooper getting the boot? Seems to me that the REAL reason was disciplinary committee action that had prior and current offenses to go on. That child is FAR from an angel. She may not last at SC either.

PostPosted: 06/07/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
What's scary to me is that an internal conflict on a team could escalate to the point that a physical resolution was required without the coaches stepping in.

First, one would think the coaching staff would be aware on its own of the tension between the players, and if not, that other players would let them know.

This is worth a closer look, I think. One of my jobs as a coach, head or assistant, is to have a sense of my team and how the players interact. Obviously, I would love it if they all liked each other and hung out together, but that seldom happens -- so I'm always on the lookout for tensions and issues and I try to talk to various players to see who's involved and what might be causing the problems.

Usually, these tensions can be dissipated with individual conversations, but sometimes it's necessary to bring the players in together and talk things through. These are talented players, and strong-willed young women, but coaches at this level get paid a lot of money to be able to communicate with these athletes and work through these specific kinds of problems.

Another angle is to have the captains step in either with or without the presence of the coaches and have them try to get the players through it. (I don't know who the captains at Tennessee are -- hopefully Nared isn't one of them.)

I have to presume that the coaches didn't know about the fight in advance, which means a) that they weren't in touch with the team enough to know emotions had run that high; and b) (and more important) that no players felt this was important enough to tell the coaches, or that none of the coaches asked the players how things were going in such a manner that it would have been revealed.

Either a) or b) is pretty much inexcusable. The other option, that the coaches knew about it and let it go forward, is even worse.

Overall, this goes a long way towards explaining Tennessee's problems in the recent past. The coaching staff is obviously out of touch with its players and the emotional state of the team, and in terms of getting a team ready to play, it's crucial for the coaching staff to have a feel for where the players are mentally.

This is pretty clearly not the case at Tennessee.

Finally, if I'm the AD at Tennessee, I don't have the kids in my office, I have Holly Warlick in my office, and it's not a pleasant encounter. It's not like there are 100 football players or 30 baseball players to keep track of; this is a small roster, and this is a marquee program at the university. How any coach in any sport could let things get to this point is a serious problem, but even more so for Warlick and women's basketball.

The more I think about this, the worse it is ...

Thats not at all how or what the situation unfolded into .

Then how did the situation unfold?

Waiting to hear the response...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: