RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

All's well at Duke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/17 3:01 pm    ::: All's well at Duke Reply Reply with quote

Nothing to see here.

According to the Athletic Director:

“I don’t know that our program could be at a better place, based not only on how our season went, but when I interact with team members over the season, one or two have said to me personally that this is the most fun they’ve ever had,” White said. “The student-athletes are euphoric about where we are, where we’re heading and the kind of season and team chemistry they enjoyed."

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/06/despite-2016-investigation-mccallie-welcomes-top-10-recruiting-class-for-duke-womens-basketball

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/05/17 5:02 pm    ::: Re: All's well at Duke Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nothing to see here.

According to the Athletic Director:

“I don’t know that our program could be at a better place, based not only on how our season went, but when I interact with team members over the season, one or two have said to me personally that this is the most fun they’ve ever had,” White said. “The student-athletes are euphoric about where we are, where we’re heading and the kind of season and team chemistry they enjoyed."

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/06/despite-2016-investigation-mccallie-welcomes-top-10-recruiting-class-for-duke-womens-basketball

Yep. Nothing new. AD got the Duke paper to do a fluff piece to sweep everything under the rug. Yawn. HINT: They call this one of Duke's "best recruiting classes ever." FACT: Duke had two classes in the top 5, with one class being #1 under McCallie. Duke women had several classes in the top 10 under Coach G. Does this class rate in the top 10? Yes, I'd say squeaking in at #10.

Some people here just live to provoke the misery of fans whose main team has faded from the elite. This is a perfect example. By the way, the AD quoted in this article came to Duke from Notre Dame and ND fans (including the person who started this thread) said "Good riddance." ND fans doing a little "happy dance" that Duke will not threaten ND in the ACC as long as McCallie remains at Duke.

You might note that one of the two players described as being the "best recruiters for Duke" transferred from Duke. The article immediately shifts to highlighting the other one, who won't be playing this season due to injury. Also check out where incoming player describes her Div.2 brother as "comparable to players in the NBA." McCallie calls the recruits "truth seekers" but does that have ANY ring of truth about it?

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can agree with him or not. You can dispute the article or not. But that buffoon White is part of the overall landscape, and the bottom line is that McCallie is going nowhere.

If you think she won't be coach a year, five years, or probably even ten years from now, you're just tilting at windmills. So you probably ought to either come to terms with it, or find another team to adopt.

goforit77

PostPosted: 06/05/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
You can agree with him or not. You can dispute the article or not. But that buffoon White is part of the overall landscape, and the bottom line is that McCallie is going nowhere.

If you think she won't be coach a year, five years, or probably even ten years from now, you're just tilting at windmills. So you probably ought to either come to terms with it, or find another team to adopt.

Unfortunately you are correct unless SHE chooses to retire

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/05/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

The Duke campus is literally over my back fence. I find players and teams to follow during the college season. I'll return to following DWB when McCallie is finally gone. I have no control over what that asswipe AD does. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd miss Mr. "drunken boater" Alleva. AD White makes a cess pool smell nice in comparison. The puniest man I hope to never meet in person.

I don't give a flying fig any more what they do. But I will never stop speaking the truth about what happened at Duke under McCallie. The players deserve that much.

And, seriously, the incoming frosh comparing her Div 2 brother to NBA players? When has a Div2 player ever made an NBA roster?

One more thing - McCallie's daughter started out playing at Miami, OH and transferred to Elon, 45 minutes from Durham. I'm sure her parents had NOTHING to do with that. McCallie trashes every player that transfers from her program.

~rAf
LitePal

PostPosted: 06/05/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though she's Public Enemy #1 for some, has she mellowed out this season. It doesn't appear like there's been much turmoil last season. Even her press conferences were not the disgraces she staged in the past. Did the AD talk to her after that disgusting article she did at the beginning of the season? Did she have her meds adjusted? No, I'm serious. Or is she just the same old Coach P?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/05/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Even though she's Public Enemy #1 for some, has she mellowed out this season. It doesn't appear like there's been much turmoil last season. Even her press conferences were not the disgraces she staged in the past. Did the AD talk to her after that disgusting article she did at the beginning of the season? Did she have her meds adjusted? No, I'm serious. Or is she just the same old Coach P?

Hard to say. AD White certainly took charge (& likely wrote it himself) of this fluff piece he placed in the Duke paper. Clearly the byline had no input - certainly didn't ask any questions. No serious journalist would let such clear propaganda pass through them unchallenged. The claim that this a "top class" when it's like the 10th best class for this program?

Also, you have to look at Lexie Brown's statement when starting PG Kyra Lambert went down with the ACL - I'm not providing an exact quote, but Lexie said that the team ran better with her at PG anyway so Duke would actually be better now that she's running point.

In other words, McCallie didn't have to throw the players under the bus when she had a player to do it for her. Basically, McCallie finally has the sheeples she's been looking for. Other than Rebecca, who decided to get a Master's Degree at Duke so just put up with the noxiousness of the coach to reach her own goal.

JPM must have been given strict guidelines for use of twitter - and Mr McCallie as well as neither has trashed any former players or coaches or opposing players as they have loved to do in the past. Such great role models! There's nothing quite like an adult thoroughly trashing a teenager that just screams "Role Model" as that does.

~rAf
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/06/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
And, seriously, the incoming frosh comparing her Div 2 brother to NBA players? When has a Div2 player ever made an NBA roster?

There have actually been quite a few D2 and lower players that have made the NBA. Following is a composite list of NBA players from D2 alone and would not include such NBA standouts as Scottie Pippen (NAIA - Central Arkansas), Terry Porter (D3 - UW-Stevens Point), Dennis Rodman (NAIA - Southeastern OK State), Jack Sikma (Illinois Wesleyan) or Devean George (D3 - Augsburg).

However, it will include the likes of Phil Jackson, Earl "the Pearl" Monroe, George "the Iceman" Gervin, Elmore Smith, Caldwell Jones, Rick Mahorn, Robert Reid, Manute Bol, Darrell Armstrong, Sam Jones, Jerome Kersey, Charles Oakley, Ron "Flip" Murray, Ben Wallace, Marvin Webster, etc.

http://campus.mst.edu/athleticarchives/hoops/d2basketball/nba.pdf

goforit77

PostPosted: 06/06/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Hard to say. AD White certainly took charge (& likely wrote it himself) of this fluff piece he placed in the Duke paper. Clearly the byline had no input - certainly didn't ask any questions. No serious journalist would let such clear propaganda pass through them unchallenged. The claim that this a "top class" when it's like the 10th best class for this program?

Also, you have to look at Lexie Brown's statement when starting PG Kyra Lambert went down with the ACL - I'm not providing an exact quote, but Lexie said that the team ran better with her at PG anyway so Duke would actually be better now that she's running point.

In other words, McCallie didn't have to throw the players under the bus when she had a player to do it for her. Basically, McCallie finally has the sheeples she's been looking for. Other than Rebecca, who decided to get a Master's Degree at Duke so just put up with the noxiousness of the coach to reach her own goal.

JPM must have been given strict guidelines for use of twitter - and Mr McCallie as well as neither has trashed any former players or coaches or opposing players as they have loved to do in the past. Such great role models! There's nothing quite like an adult thoroughly trashing a teenager that just screams "Role Model" as that does.

I also think winning more than loosing helps in this area...The less stress =a less volatile JPM. Players seems to either love her or hate her and there are plenty of both.

RAF you sure are hard on the players...Boykin was just complimenting her brother and Lexi was just trying to be positive..No need to bash them...Throw shade on JPM not the players

Howee

PostPosted: 06/06/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They were a favorite team of mine back in the GG, Ali-Lindsay-Abby days. And then it all went away. The decline of Duke's program is most unfortunate.

HOWEVER. As the old adage goes about changing the things one can, accepting the things one CAN'T, and the wisdom to know the difference--I just consider it a write-off, and a cautionary tale on the hazards of ignoring obvious signs and red flags.

AND....if Top Recruits knowingly choose Duke to play at, then....God Bless 'em!

PostPosted: 06/06/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I also think winning more than loosing helps in this area...The less stress =a less volatile JPM. Players seems to either love her or hate her and there are plenty of both.

RAF you sure are hard on the players...Boykin was just complimenting her brother and Lexi was just trying to be positive..No need to bash them...Throw shade on JPM not the players

Lexie, who had not started even one game at PG, said the team played better with her at PG. Lexie knows her only position in the WNBA is PG due to her size. She was throwing shade to put herself into the light.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: