RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OFF SLOWLY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaball

PostPosted: 05/24/17 11:24 am    ::: OFF SLOWLY Reply Reply with quote

Every year, after the first few games, stories appear about sharply improved play by some WNBA citizens (Jewell Loyd leads the list this year), but, as a long time observer, I am struck by the unusual number of players who are not doing well. I realize there can be so many reasons such as injury, personal unhappiness, new coach, new system etc, but I have no inside info; just know what I see. Here is my team by team list:

NY Liberty:
Kia Stokes: After 2 very promising seasons, seems lost out there. Never a strong offensive player, her scoring has gotten worse. In the back of my mind, I wonder if we are getting a hint why Geno made Kia a part-timer at UConn.
Bria Hartley: OK, having a baby a few months ago is no way to prepare, but Bria looks downright awful out there. With the loss of Boyd. and imminent departure of Prince for 3+ weeks, this could cost NY.
Shavonte Zellous: a solid veteran with plenty of miles in those legs, Zellous still has a good brain, but her scoring is way down.

Atlanta Dream:
Sancho Lyttle: Another former All Star type with lots of games played. Like Zellous, the brain still there, but the scoring is disappearing.

San Antonio Stars:
Dearica Hamby: After a bright start as a high draft choice rookie, her play went downhill last year, and, so far this year. has been awful.
Erika de Souza: Another former solid pro who has been on a downward spiral for a couple of years now. This year, the descent continues.
Sydney Colson: A decent backup pg in other years, given the chance for big minutes, she has been a disaster

Indiana Fever:
Marissa Coleman: Always subject to runs of poor play, so far playing the worst ball of her career, for a team desperate for play at small forward.

Phoenix Mercury:
DRob: looks totally lost playing in a new system that seems to emphasize areas where she is weakest (feeding post, shooting 3's). Given the lack of defense by other Phx perimeter players, this is a huge issue.

Washington Mystics:
Emma Meesseman: Same coach but big change (Dela); another who seems lost.

Seattle Storm:
Carolyn Swords: AWOL for new team/coach. Perhaps playing old team Fri will change things.

Ct Sun:
Rachel Banham: Might not really belong on this list b/c, hampered by knee injury, this top draft pick with big rep, unlike others, has never done a thing in W. Still, she does share in common poor play (albeit brief appearances).

Chicago Sky:
Imani Boyette: Lots of flashes last year; yet to do much under new coach.

I should mention that I have 3 other names on hold b/c they are All time greats: Maya, Taurasi, and Stewart.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/24/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Whalen?

zune69

PostPosted: 05/24/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle:
A.Clark

New york:
Zahui B.

Dallas:
Paris
Johnson

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/24/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
What about Whalen?

Yeah, I thought about several Minny player: Whalen, Plenette Pearson, Montgomery,and Howard. Whalen is an All time great who, on occasion, still shows flashes. Too often, maybe, her play has been quiet, but would not call it bad.
Dallas has only played 2 games, but those players bear watching.
You are correct that Zowee has been awful, but maybe she is a never was.
Clark cannot hit a 3, but she seems the same smart, but limited player as last year.

Last edited by canadaball on 05/24/17 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/24/17 12:48 pm    ::: Re: OFF SLOWLY Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Every year, after the first few games, stories appear about sharply improved play by some WNBA citizens (Jewell Loyd leads the list this year), but, as a long time observer, I am struck by the unusual number of players who are not doing well. I realize there can be so many reasons such as injury, personal unhappiness, new coach, new system etc, but I have no inside info; just know what I see. Here is my team by team list:

NY Liberty:
Kia Stokes: After 2 very promising seasons, seems lost out there. Never a strong offensive player, her scoring has gotten worse. In the back of my mind, I wonder if we are getting a hint why Geno made Kia a part-timer at UConn.
Bria Hartley: OK, having a baby a few months ago is no way to prepare, but Bria looks downright awful out there. With the loss of Boyd. and imminent departure of Prince for 3+ weeks, this could cost NY.
Shavonte Zellous: a solid veteran with plenty of miles in those legs, Zellous still has a good brain, but her scoring is way down.

Atlanta Dream:
Sancho Lyttle: Another former All Star type with lots of games played. Like Zellous, the brain still there, but the scoring is disappearing.

San Antonio Stars:
Dearica Hamby: After a bright start as a high draft choice rookie, her play went downhill last year, and, so far this year. has been awful.
Erika de Souza: Another former solid pro who has been on a downward spiral for a couple of years now. This year, the descent continues.
Sydney Colson: A decent backup pg in other years, given the chance for big minutes, she has been a disaster

Indiana Fever:
Marissa Coleman: Always subject to runs of poor play, so far playing the worst ball of her career, for a team desperate for play at small forward.

Phoenix Mercury:
DRob: looks totally lost playing in a new system that seems to emphasize areas where she is weakest (feeding post, shooting 3's). Given the lack of defense by other Phx perimeter players, this is a huge issue.

Washington Mystics:

Seattle Storm:
Carolyn Swords: AWOL for new team/coach. Perhaps playing old team Fri will change things.

Ct Sun:
Rachel Banham: Might not really belong on this list b/c, hampered by knee injury, this top draft pick with big rep, unlike others, has never done a thing in W. Still, she does share in common poor play (albeit brief appearances).

Chicago Sky:

I should mention that I have 3 other names on hold b/c they are All time greats: Maya, Taurasi, and Stewart.

D-Rob is average 10 PPG w/ 6.7 Assists Per game , If thats "Not doing Well" then she might as well be cut today Laughing

PostPosted: 05/24/17 12:59 pm    ::: Re: OFF SLOWLY Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:

NY Liberty:

Atlanta Dream:

San Antonio Stars:

Indiana Fever:

Phoenix Mercury:

Washington Mystics:

Seattle Storm:

Ct Sun:

Chicago Sky:

D-Rob is average 10 PPG w/ 6.7 Assists Per game , If thats "Not doing Well" then she might as well be cut today Laughing

It is not about stats (tho yours are incorrect), but, rather watching her play. Too often this year (last night's game the worst) DRob just seems lost out there. I think her total inability to shoot 3's (as opposed to Mitchell) is hurting her in the Phx offensive sets.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/24/17 1:07 pm    ::: Re: OFF SLOWLY Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:

NY Liberty:

Atlanta Dream:

San Antonio Stars:

Indiana Fever:

Phoenix Mercury:

Washington Mystics:

Seattle Storm:

Ct Sun:

Chicago Sky:

It is not about stats (tho yours are incorrect), but, rather watching her play. Too often this year (last night's game the worst) DRob just seems lost out there. I think her total inability to shoot 3's (as opposed to Mitchell) is hurting her in the Phx offensive sets.

After last night shes now at 7.5 PPG and 6.3 Asts Per game so maybe the point spread has changed but thats now what shes there to do . Shes a facilitator and yes there is room for growth but shes doing her job. Get off her case and put someone deserving from there team on here. like Ms. Diana for a change ...shes been the most disappointing on there team so far. BTW this is Only D-Robs 3rd WNBA game in almost 2 years , no time to adjust to the new team and style of play ?

PostPosted: 05/24/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Drob : looks totally lost playing in a new system that seems to emphasize areas where she is weakest (feeding post, shooting 3'

She is playing for a new team/coach and coming off an serious injury. Id say she is doing just fine so far.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 05/24/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sancho Lyttle has been fading for years. She's close to done.

PostPosted: 05/24/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Agreed , she really had a great career . Starting as a project with the comets to become a Regular reliable starter . The W should give her a nice retirement celebration whenever she hangs them up. Started at the bottom now shes here Laughing Cool

PostPosted: 05/24/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Sancho Lyttle reminds me of Doug Christie, at the tail end of his NBA career: she looks like a player who is thinking about what she does, before she does it, when she used to just be able to do shit.

I ain't mad at her, though: keep gettin' them checks, Sancho!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 05/24/17 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I almost think Whay is on the physical decline. Those spin moves or smarts that got her most of her points are now turnovers or slow motion replays. It's sad to see, but the reality. It seems like guards take the toughest hit on aging because they do most of the running. Cappa Tappa Kegga has been surprising!

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/25/17 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swords is interesting. I think it's totally how Seattle is using or not using her. She has a certain skill set to go with her size. Trying to play her outside that skill set is not going to be very successful...but that is what Boucek is doing.

It reminds me a bit of Kraayeveld who was used very efficiently in NY, but once she got to Chicago, there was no concept how to use her and she looked awful.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: