RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

23 million fewer Americans insured under House GOP bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/24/17 6:46 pm    ::: 23 million fewer Americans insured under House GOP bill Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/REVwFXenGxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVwFXenGxw

Quote:
The House Republican health care bill would leave 23 million fewer Americans with health insurance by 2026 than under Obamacare, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said Wednesday.

The highly anticipated CBO score is likely to trigger another round of negative headlines and more hurdles for Republicans as they look to advance a controversial piece of legislation that was passed in the House earlier this month.

The CBO also found the bill would reduce deficits by $119 billion compared with Obamacare.

Eager to notch a political win in the GOP's years-long mission to repeal Obamacare, Republican lawmakers took a gamble by voting before the CBO could analyze last-minute changes to the bill.

The new CBO report will serve as an important report card for Senate Republicans as they deliberate over their own version of the health care bill.

The report also shed some light into how the House GOP bill, titled the American Health Care Act, would change the nation's individual health insurance market.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/news/economy/obamacare-repeal-cbo/index.html

PostPosted: 05/24/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering how badly the CBO estimates missed the mark on the ACA, I wouldn't put that much stock in what they think about the new plan.

PostPosted: 05/24/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Considering how badly the CBO estimates missed the mark on the ACA, I wouldn't put that much stock in what they think about the new plan.

It is still the best estimate that we have. As with all predictions, things can go not as expected, and can lead to different results, but this can be read as a "most likely" result.

It can also be very useful if we use it for generalities as to who it will help and who it will hurt and to what general amount (not at all, a little, a lot, or completely).

To just ignore these numbers is to ignore data for no good reason.

PostPosted: 05/24/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

It is still the best estimate that we have. As with all predictions, things can go not as expected, and can lead to different results, but this can be read as a "most likely" result.

It can also be very useful if we use it for generalities as to who it will help and who it will hurt and to what general amount (not at all, a little, a lot, or completely).

It's not data, it's speculation. Given that their last major health care estimates rested on faulty assumptions which resulted in wildly inaccurate guesses, I'm hesitant to use their numbers for anything.

PostPosted: 05/24/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

It's not data, it's speculation. Given that their last major health care estimates rested on faulty assumptions which resulted in wildly inaccurate guesses, I'm hesitant to use their numbers for anything.

Yes, they were off. Their numbers didn't play out as they thought. Yet there are a ton of times where their numbers have been accurate. To just focus on when they were wrong is cherry picking.

To throw out their numbers we need to be able to look at their methodology and say "this is where they are making a bad assumption" and then explain why.

Yet if we look at their ACA numbers, the generalities were in fact correct. And their accuracy is hard to judge since the program was undermined from the beginning by defunding risk corridors and lack of congressional support.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/24/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IOW, pilight is suggesting the number could be 40 million. Wink

PostPosted: 05/24/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Yes, it could be worse than what the CBO is saying

PostPosted: 05/24/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Yes, it could be worse than what the CBO is saying

I do agree that this could easily be inaccurate. This score forced the CBO to guess what each state was going to do. That creates more moving parts that are hard to predict. However, it is also likely the best predictions we are going to be able to have and it is very enlightening as to who it is going to hit and generally by how much.

Sometimes when looking at things like this we just have to make the best educated guess available and run with it until/unless new data is provided.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: