Board Junkies Forums

Taurasi suspended one game for hit to Stars' Dearica Hamby
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller40

PostPosted: 05/22/17 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
I'm just patiently waiting for a player to literally put Taurasi on her ass before she retires.

PPP is the one to do it...

Didn't they already get into it too? I only have a fuzzy memory of it, but I thought they did during on of the old Detroit series.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/22/17 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
After seeing that video , i must say i rescind my comment . Theres no place for that in the W . Cheap shot D Cheap shot ...Did hamby even do anything ?

My impression was that even though the elbow was malicious it wasn't particularly jarring. Same for the Colson punch. The Star players reaction seemed to be more surprise than the usual anger that would follow a well delivered blow. Either that, or the Stars players are just wimps and cowered at the thought of confronting the Wicked Witch of the West.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/22/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
After seeing that video , i must say i rescind my comment . Theres no place for that in the W . Cheap shot D Cheap shot ...Did hamby even do anything ?

My impression was that even though the elbow was malicious it wasn't particularly jarring. Same for the Colson punch. The Star players reaction seemed to be more surprise than the usual anger that would follow a well delivered blow. Either that, or the Stars players are just wimps and cowered at the thought of confronting the Wicked Witch of the West.

The stars as a whole doesn't seem to have a bunch of toughness.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/22/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Maybe Diana can't hit very hard

PostPosted: 05/22/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
I love DT but I have to admit that seeing this is sadly disgusting. It always saddens me when really outstanding players diminish their game with stuff like this.

She is getting what she deserved. Now her team and fans are let down because she didn't have better control. It makes me sad. I will not stop loving the girl but I am disappointed.

Same. DT is my favorite player to love and hate but this is unacceptable and so disappointing coming from her.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Or maybe they are a lot more mature than the brat they were dealing with.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
I'm just patiently waiting for a player to literally put Taurasi on her ass before she retires.

Didn't they already get into it too? I only have a fuzzy memory of it, but I thought they did during on of the old Detroit series.

nah, that was PPP and Parker, then she decimated her own teammate Ford while she was at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xl3Et9t4zU

My second nomination would be Fowles - her inadvertent elbows have done quite a lot of damage over the years - probably the worst to her own teammate Christon, but there have been plenty of other recipients. [she took over when LLL's elbows left the league]

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
miller40 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

nah, that was PPP and Parker, then she decimated her own teammate Ford while she was at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xl3Et9t4zU

My second nomination would be Fowles - her inadvertent elbows have done quite a lot of damage over the years - probably the worst to her own teammate Christon, but there have been plenty of other recipients. [she took over when LLL's elbows left the league]

Fowles is too soft for that and she and DT get along pretty well. Only inadvertent would she be a candidate. If Lori Ann was playing this season she would be my guess

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
tfan

PostPosted: 05/22/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

In the 2007 WNBA Finals, as Taurasi was getting a rebound she elbowed Pierson in the face who had to leave the game. Taurasi also caused some damage to Katie Smith in that game. In thinking about an opponent for Taurasi, with McCarville, Milton-Jones, Catchings and McWilliams-Franklin retired, I'm gonna have to go with Maya Moore. But she's a gentle giant and fellow UConner, so Taurasi will have to provoke her good.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/22/17 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
miller40 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

In the 2007 WNBA Finals, as Taurasi was getting a rebound she elbowed Pierson in the face who had to leave the game. Taurasi also caused some damage to Katie Smith in that game. In thinking about an opponent for Taurasi, with McCarville, Milton-Jones, Catchings and McWilliams-Franklin retired, I'm gonna have to go with Maya Moore. But she's a gentle giant and fellow UConner, so Taurasi will have to provoke her good.

I remember that game against Detroit , DT gave Katie a nice shiner and her (DT) PFT & Pierson all had there confrontations that series .

PostPosted: 05/22/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2017/05/22/mercury-unhappy-diana-taurasi-suspension/337555001/
Quote:
Mercury coach Sandy Brondello also believes the Taurasi penalty was too stiff. "She did obviously hit the girl but another player in a similar incident a few games before did the same thing but she wasn't suspended. So to me it's more let's keep is consistent. It's not just what Diana Taurasi does. That's my biggest disappointment."

Taurasi will be missing her eighth game since 2007 due to league/team suspension for a variety of reasons.

"Diana plays hard and teams play her very physical," Brondello said. "I supposed that's what they need to do to slow her down. She's a great player. I'm not going to curb her emotions because that's one of her greatest strengths as well and what makes her special. Maybe these few days off will be good for because she needed it.

"Maybe it's blessing in disguise," Brondello said. "She's tired coming back from Russia and obviously with the wedding. Maybe this could freshen her up a little bit and help as we move forward. She's got no legs at the moment. Sometimes you need rest more than anything."

Who is this other player Brondello says hit another player from behind, unprovoked, outside of any basketball play?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/22/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She once got suspended two games for cussing, one for hitting someone in the head is getting off light.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2017/05/22/mercury-unhappy-diana-taurasi-suspension/337555001/
Quote:
Mercury coach Sandy Brondello also believes the Taurasi penalty was too stiff. "She did obviously hit the girl but another player in a similar incident a few games before did the same thing but she wasn't suspended. So to me it's more let's keep is consistent. It's not just what Diana Taurasi does. That's my biggest disappointment."

Taurasi will be missing her eighth game since 2007 due to league/team suspension for a variety of reasons.

"Diana plays hard and teams play her very physical," Brondello said. "I supposed that's what they need to do to slow her down. She's a great player. I'm not going to curb her emotions because that's one of her greatest strengths as well and what makes her special. Maybe these few days off will be good for because she needed it.

"Maybe it's blessing in disguise," Brondello said. "She's tired coming back from Russia and obviously with the wedding. Maybe this could freshen her up a little bit and help as we move forward. She's got no legs at the moment. Sometimes you need rest more than anything."

Who is this other player Brondello says hit another player from behind, unprovoked, outside of any basketball play?

What an absolute pile of steaming enabler horseshit from Brondello. Considering she should've missed most of the game against SAS if it had been refereed properly, and her history of a variety of similar incidents, the far more reasonable argument is that she's lucky to get away with just one game.

The 'similar incident' Brondello is presumably referring to was when Erika was called for a 'taunting technical' when she caught an opponent in the head with an elbow while fighting for position in the post (opening night against New York). I thought at the time it probably should've been a flagrant rather than a tech (and under the letter of the rulebook, if they decided it was an intentional elbow she'd probably have had to have been ejected as well), but it was nowhere near as egregious as Taurasi's. It was at least something resembling a basketball play. Taurasi just decided she didn't like the perfectly normal screen that had been set on her, turned around and took a swing at her opponent.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how Leslie's elbows would've fared against today's officiating.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good call by the league. You can't just elbow someone in the back of the head because you feel like it. Confused

PostPosted: 05/22/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Lisa got away with murder. She didn't get suspended for attacking Tina Thompson with a forearm to the throat in the 1999 Western Conference finals (the salute game).

PostPosted: 05/22/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Quote:

It's a witch hunt by the fake news. Kellyanne Brondello will give us the truth.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

What an absolute pile of steaming enabler horseshit from Brondello.

Richyyy for President!

Oh, wait he ain't American....well immigrate illegally would ya?

Richyyy for President!

one wonders if Brondello even bothered to look at the replay.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/22/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Lisa got away with murder. She didn't get suspended for attacking Tina Thompson with a forearm to the throat in the 1999 Western Conference finals (the salute game).

This__________x #WNBAsGreatestGames

PostPosted: 05/22/17 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Embarrassing stuff from Sandy.
She can consider herself very lucky that she only lost Taurasi for 1 game. It should have been instant ejection plus at least 1 more game IMO.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, Merc, just a thought: if you don't want DT to get suspended, don't let her hit people in the head. I mean, really. It's not rocket science.

At this rate, the W might come down even harder on her and on the Merc for shit stirring.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Hey, Merc, just a thought: if you don't want DT to get suspended, don't let her hit people in the head. I mean, really. It's not rocket science.

At this rate, the W might come down even harder on her and on the Merc for shit stirring.

Yeah, I had the thought that maybe Sandy needed a penalty herself! But I do agree it will probably help DT to have a little time off. She clearly needs it.

- Amanda Gorman
braveniler58

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why Brondello or anyone else is defending Dee. That wasn't basketball. Confused Lucky it was just one game.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:
miller40 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I remember that game against Detroit , DT gave Katie a nice shiner and her (DT) PFT & Pierson all had there confrontations that series .

Pierson elbowed Penny in the face during that game. It starts at the 4;10 mark when they are both battling down the court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKHnS6Hru2g

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: